Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Michael Bennett likely to test open market

Per Rotoworld.com:

Buccaneers DE Michael Bennett is expected to test the open market when the free-agent signing period begins on March 12.

Despite some conversation between Bennett and the Bucs, there presently is no momentum toward a deal being struck before the signing period begins. Bennett had a career-high nine sacks last season and was versatile for the Bucs, with nearly 11% of his snaps coming at defensive tackle. With both Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers on the roster, Bennett appears to be the odd man out. Feb 16 - 10:35 AM

Source: Tampa Bay Times

I'll be pissed if we let him walk with all our cap space and lack of talent on the d-line. He and McCoy are the only proven performers we have there.

Hope he comes to the Giants. Martellus Bennett has said several times he'd loved to play with his brother, and Martellus Bennett is going to come back. We could actually a young pass rusher on the opposite side of JPP, especially since this may be Tuck's last year

Fuck. Really don't want to lose Bennett. He's a very solid all around DE (can stop the run and get to the QB) and with Bowers and Clayborn's injury problems, we'd be very thin at DE without Bennett. We have a lot of cap space. Pay the man, Dom.

He will get franchised, so good luck testing the open market.

Franchise tagging him would cost more than he's worth, but I can see the Bucs match or beat any offer another team would likely make.

I just have to say:

Thank you Tampa Bay for not resigning Bennett. He looks like the missing piece to Seattle's pass rush quest. He is having a monumental impact for this team. Far beyond his own personal stat lines -- he's providing multiple sack/pressure opportunites in every single drive for our other linemen.

He's already considered a must resign. When discussions turn to who needs extensions, it's always: Bennett/Sherman. The two are indistinguishable in terms of importance at this point.

Franchise tagging him would cost more than he's worth, but I can see the Bucs match or beat any offer another team would likely make.

:shifty:

:smug: