BLUE

Patriots sign Danny Amendola

Per Rotoworld.com:

Patriots agreed to terms with Danny Amendola, formerly of the Rams, on a five-year, $31 million contract.

The deal includes $10 million guaranteed. New England was unwilling to match the Broncos' two-year, $12 million offer to Wes Welker, and instead chose to pay a slightly larger annual average to a slot receiver four years younger. Amendola, 27, has played in just 12 games over the last two seasons, but is a more explosive player than Welker. Amendola showed the ability to play on the outside in 2012, something he didn't do at all in his first three seasons. The market was initially soft for slot receivers but picked up in a hurry. Julian Edelman is now the best left. The Amendola move should bring a smile back to Tom Brady's face. Assuming good health, Amendola could flirt with 100 catches in Welker's old role. Mar 13 - 7:24 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Edited by BLUE

Guest Phailadelphia

Good for him. I was a little upset when Dallas cut him a few years ago. No idea how he didn't make the team in some respect.

Shows you just how replaceable the Pats considered Welker to be...

Welker receives contract worth 6m/year for two years.

Patriots turn around and sign Amendola to a contract worth 6.1m/year for 5 years.

Just rubbing it in a little more.

Edited by Thanatos19

^ You better believe it. And I love it. LOVE it. Haha.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

Big difference between those 2 though. One is usually healthy, the other almost never is.

not willing to pay market value for Welker, but willing to overpay for Amendola? interesting decision

not willing to pay market value for Welker, but willing to overpay for Amendola? interesting decision

Not sure how you know what Amendola's value is. Can you share what the market is for players from other positions as well? It's obvious you have inside information. And I'm not even sure how 10 mill guaranteed is an overpay.

Anyways, I've pretty much moved on from Welker emotionally and am completely buying the Belichick kool aid now. All Amendola needs to be healthy for is the playoffs. If he can make the catches in the postseason, then it's a win. Welker turned into a drop machine come January/February.

Edited by BradyFan81

Oh man we're gonna have Angry Wes for the Patriots game this year. I'm so excited. Great signing by the Pats, by the way.

Not sure how you know what Amendola's value is. Can you share what the market is for players from other positions as well? It's obvious you have inside information. And I'm not even sure how 10 mill guaranteed is an overpay.

fair enough, but I'll put it this way, I'd put Welker's value significantly above Amendola's, so the fact that Amendola got the better deal I consider overpaying

I feel like some of you comparing the value of Amendola vs. Welker aren't factoring in age, for some stupid reason...

I feel like some of you comparing the value of Amendola vs. Welker aren't factoring in age, for some stupid reason...

Welker's only 31 (will be 32 in May) that's not really old enough IMO to start worrying about age, and Amendola is 27 (will be 28 in November) o it's really not that big of a difference when you think consider playing style IMO

Welker's only 31 (will be 32 in May) that's not really old enough IMO to start worrying about age, and Amendola is 27 (will be 28 in November) o it's really not that big of a difference when you think consider playing style IMO

I disagree on Welker. I think 31 is definitely the age to start worrying for a receiver.

I disagree on Welker. I think 31 is definitely the age to start worrying for a receiver.

I've never seen numbers broken down for receivers so I don't know if there's really a definite line, but it seems like most WRs last until at least mid 30s and in Welker's case I think it's also relevant that he was used very sparingly in his first three years in the league before he was traded to NE, so he doesn't have as much wear, Amendola is also much more of an injury risk

but really, when you get down to it only time will really tell whether this was the right move, I could easily see this working out great for NE with Amendola having a Welker-esque emergence in New England, I just would have gone with the known commodity in Welker

but really, when you get down to it only time will really tell whether this was the right move

The same could be said about every signing that's occurred so far.

But it's all good and fun to speculate, yes?

The same could be said about every signing that's occurred so far.

But it's all good and fun to speculate, yes?

very true, I guess that was more of a "we're not going to change each other's minds, so let's agree to disagree" type comment :p

very true, I guess that was more of a "we're not going to change each other's minds, so let's agree to disagree" type comment :p

At least you've got Matt Kenseth on your side.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with that completely. I wouldn't worry about a receiver until 34 (just based on what I've seen from watching not stats). Steve Smith is fairly old isn't he? Boldin is coming off a very productive year and he is 31 I believe.

I think it's only hurtful if you're strictly a speed guy.

Good sign. Could even have Hernandez play in the slot if we wanted to, lol. Like BJGE said time again, he was basically a luxury.

Fuck Welker for his shitty dropped catches in Super Bowl XLVI and the most recent AFCCG which destroyed any momentum the Pats were trying to build >_>

Thank god he's out of the NFCW :rock:

Good signing for the Pats assuming he can stay healthy.

Which he hasn't done, ever. He'll get a concussion in the first game of the season.