JetsFan4Life

2013 NBA Playoffs Thread

Apparently the Bogut play wasn't reviewable in the first place, but I'm sure the NBA will fix that over the offseason.

IDK if I can bet on both Curry and Thompson being this cold the rest of the series, so the Spurs really gotta do something. lol.

The Spurs went extremely cold in the 2nd half/OT as well. They had a lot of open looks and just couldn't sink anything. Along with Parker not getting his layups to fall, which is unusual and SA needs him to do well. For the most part, Green and Leonard are doing well at harassing and contesting Curry and Thompson.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

My complaints about the Spurs aren't necessarily related to this series, but to their games in general. Parker and Ginobili get too many free throws just because they fall down after a layup, and neither of them has attacked as much in this series as they have in the past, so that point hasn't been brought up much.

Hilarious. Parker is known for avoiding contact around the rim - it has made him one of the best finishers at the rim over the past decade. For the amountof times he drives, he doesn't get as many calls as he should. Manu does get calls that are questionable, no doubt. But to bring Parker into that same category is ridiculous.

No way in hell am I blaming the refs for the Spurs loss. Yeah, Bogut was out of bounds, but the Spurs should already have been up by 15. Missed free-throws and not stepping on their throat when they had the chance. Green has been awesome on Curry - not sure why Pop didn't out him on him more, and Kawhi has been lock down on Klay since he went nuts.

That was the most biased commentating I have ever heard as well. It was actually to the point where my friend who was watching with me and who isn't a Spurs fan was just laughing at their outrageous bias.

Hubie Brown has been known for it in the past, but not the that extent. Goodness.

• Upvote 1

Yea, Bware. I'm sorry but you contradict yourself a lot. You excuse Harden getting a lot of free throws, but Parker attacks the rim as much as anyone, even Harden, and he doesn't get nearly the amount of calls Harden gets. You're simply wrong on this one.

Harden is a Manu clone, lmao. Harden's freethrows are deserved, but Manu's aren't?

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Yea, Bware. I'm sorry but you contradict yourself a lot. You excuse Harden getting a lot of free throws, but Parker attacks the rim as much as anyone, even Harden, and he doesn't get nearly the amount of calls Harden gets. You're simply wrong on this one.

First of all, I've never said that Harden deserves all of his free throws, but he drives more than anyone in the league so he's going to shoot a lot of free throws. It's the oldest method in the book for drawing contact and getting to the line.

One thing about Harden: he lands on his feet almost all the time, unless he gets hit. Give him that.

Parker doesn't attack as much as Harden at all. Parker has two other go-to options in his offense that demand possessions and 10-20 shots a game, apiece.

I throw Parker into the conversation because of the way he avoids contact. He rarely lands on his feet because of doing so, and because of the result of his shot they blow the whistle half the time. It annoys me.

Manu gets calls. It's that simple. And the thing about Manu and Duncan is that they're so demonstrative and hard to watch because of it. They just whine and whine and whine about every little thing.

Harden is a Manu clone, lmao. Herden's freethrows are deserved, but Manu's aren't?

Because they know I'm a Houston fan, people seem to think that Harden deserves all of his free throws. I've said he earn most of, if not all of them with his style of play, but no way in hell he deserves every last one.

Parker doesn't attack as much as Harden? Please explain why he is always among the league leaders in points in the paint.

• Upvote 1

Because of bad refs. Duh

• Upvote 1

Because they know I'm a Houston fan, people seem to think that Harden deserves all of his free throws. I've said he earn most of, if not all of them with his style of play, but no way in hell he deserves every last one.

You are saying that most of Harden's calls are earned, but that Manu just "gets calls". That's arbitrary and ridiculous.

Bware. Parker deserves the majority of calls he gets. Like every great player in the league, he gets calls he shouldn't. It is stupid as hell to strictly only call Parker out for that. KD does, Harden does, Lebron does, it isn't just guys on the team you hate.

You're going out of your way to criticize a team. Harden damn nears pays rent at the line, and yeah he attacks a lot, he also gets bullshit calls. Same can be said for all the stars in the league. The point you are making holds no worth.

Please don't try and educate me on the team I have been watching since I can first remember watching sports.

Edited by The Admiral

Bware. Parker deserves the majority of calls he gets. Like every great player in the league, he gets calls he shouldn't. It is stupid as hell to strictly only call Parker out for that. KD does, Harden does, Lebron does, it isn't just guys on the team you hate.

You're going out of your way to criticize a team. Harden damn nears pays rent at the line, and yeah he attacks a lot, he also gets bullshit calls. Same can be said for all the stars in the league. The point you are making holds no worth.

Please don't try and educate me on the team I have been watching since I can first remember watching sports.

Hey I'll never question that you know more about the Spurs then I do. There are certain star players who get more calls than others, and between Parker, Manu, Harden, etc, I wish that refs would make sure they see contact before blowing the whistle. It's that simple.

Perhaps my opinion is altered by how demonstrative Duncan and Manu are. I personally think each could get T'd up at least once a game.

I think that the two teams I'd like to see meet in the Finals (Grizzlies and Pacers) have the two most underrated point guards in the NBA.

Man, Mike Conley and George Hill are so good.

Guest Phailadelphia

I miss Westbrook. This series would already have been over.

• Downvote 3

Durant just doesn't look the same out there without a bonafide #2 scorer... Kevin Martin actually looked good, and I was surprised by his (relative) low number of minutes. It always seems like the Thunder make odd moves like this regarding personnel in the playoffs.

I realize Memphis is a good and seemingly underrated team. But the Thunder should still be better, even without Westbrook.

I am not sure if it is just the matchups that have things skewed so much or if it is the fact that the Thunder just really need Westbrook in order to function properly. The latter, if true, makes me think the Thunder just aren't good as they are hyped up to be.

It's really hard for any team to win with only one top level player. Even LeBron couldn't win like that in Cleveland. Don't think thats an indictment of the thunder so much as a testament to westbrook.

It's really hard for any team to win with only one top level player. Even LeBron couldn't win like that in Cleveland. Don't think thats an indictment of the thunder so much as a testament to westbrook.

When the Thunder lost Harden and gained Martin, Thunder fans said this team was better. Not necessarily that one move, per say, but overall. Kevin Martin has played much better than I figured he would have at the beginning of the year.

Derek Fisher, as much as I love the guy, doesn't belong on the court. There is also very little benefit of having Reggie Jackson play 48 minutes. There is a limit to what he can do, and there gets to be a point where having him on the court longer just doesn't help the cause because you aren't getting an equal return on those minutes.

The way the Thunder play... This idiotic ignorance that they submit to... The philosophy that they should ignore the talent and bigs they have inside the paint to go soft and cater to the athleticism of Durant and Westbrook is fine and dandy being that with both of them, they are going to outscore just about anybody.

But when that is no longer a possibility, you need to do one of two things, both of which include adjusting -- which the Thunder have failed to do the last two seasons.

You either need to plug in your next best scorer, give him a ton of minutes, and pray he can drop 30 to keep your offensive and soft philosophy alive... Or you need to adjust, use the bigs, go hard in the paint, and then let KD throw down the hammer every once in a while.

It astounds me at the size OKC has but fails to utilize. Memphis puts the ball down low and just MAN HANDLES this team. That wouldn't change with Russ in the lineup.

Time after time... watching the Thunder gives me a headache, because they absolutely REFUSE to adapt and make adjustments. They are arrogant, self-righteous, and wear a crown they gave themselves.

It's the same song and dance as we went through in the Finals last year.

Until they figure that out, they will continue to be underachievers.

To be fair, this team has the talent to win the title -- so underachieving is much different for them. Maybe the high standards make us criticize them more... But they should be so much better than this.

Guest Phailadelphia

Ugh, we're really having this conversation?

OKC's bigs are offensively challenged. Ibaka is developing (slowly) but there's nothing from him they can "utilize" anymore than they already are.

Perkins is Perkins.

It's ridiculous that a team that lost its 2nd best player and is still in EVERY game down to the wire is somehow underachieving without Westbrook. And doing it with all of 6 games after losing him. And against a VERY good Grizzlies team.

The coaching is bad. Gripe about that all you want, but the fact that they make every game so close without Westbrook is a testament to how good they really are, not how they're "not as good as they're hyped to be" or whatever insanely stupid narrative this is.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Guest Phailadelphia

This is what happens when you lose a guy like Westbrook. I doubt KD has ever seen this kind of defense played on him before.

BKNJLZzCMAAHE_e.jpg

Ugh, we're really having this conversation?

OKC's bigs are offensively challenged. Ibaka is developing (slowly) but there's nothing from him they can "utilize" anymore than they already are.

Perkins is Perkins.

It's ridiculous that a team that lost its 2nd best player and is still in EVERY game down to the wire is somehow underachieving without Westbrook. And doing it with all of 6 games after losing him. And against a VERY good Grizzlies team.

The coaching is bad. Gripe about that all you want, but the fact that they make every game so close without Westbrook is a testament to how good they really are, not how they're "not as good as they're hyped to be" or whatever insanely stupid narrative this is.

It may not be pretty, but they would get the job done if it was asked of them. I am not saying OH NOEZ, STOP GIVING KD THE BALL. But you have to take it one battle at a time, if you are going to ALLOW the opposition to rape you in the paint over and over you better be sure you can outgun them. Period. If you don't think you can outgun them, you have to find another way, and that is down low. Go with the high % shots, be aggressive, go at the rim, etc etc.

KD is shooting 50%+. Ibaka at 57%. Perkins at 47%. The glory of having those big bodies is that it doesn't need to be pretty. I don't care if Ibaka has one move, or Perkins is a moron. Give them ball and force that crap down their throats.

The coaching IS my biggest pet peeve with the Thunder as I think they have the personnel to get the job done, regardless of Russ being there or not. That's the whole point of my rant.. Your coaching is ass.. There are no adjustments. Decisions on who to play who and where are moronic. There is no sense of structure or control. It just seems like your staff says "Hey guys, go out there and play" and after that the coaches job is finished.

This is what happens when you lose a guy like Westbrook. I doubt KD has ever seen this kind of defense played on him before.

BKNJLZzCMAAHE_e.jpg

Ya, Reggie Jackson is no threat... lmao. And good for nothing Derek Fisher is wasting good minutes. With all the love Kevin Martin has got over the season (a lot of it deserved) where is he at? 26 minutes with an OT? SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. And when KD is looking at this, SOMEBODY is open. I dunno who is on the court in this particular shot, but throw it down low and deliver the BOOOOOOM! Would sure go a long way to ensuring a 50% shooter on the year doesn't struggle to hit 35% on 30 shots.

The Thunder don't want to give in and win through their bigs... But they sure as hell are willing to let a bunch of losers like Thabo on the floor who isn't good for anything but his D.

"Don't worry, we will outscore them!"

"Wait, wait, you.. Shitty player on the bench who can't score.. Get on the court"

"You, hey you, our now 2nd best scoring option, go take a seat"

It makes NO SENSE. Literally ZERO.

MORONS. MORONS I TELL YOU.

It's only so frustrating because they are sooooo good.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I've gotta agree with Favre. It makes no sense why Martin isn't in the game more. The Thunder need him.

And I entirely disagree with Phail's comment on Westbrook. Even with Russell this series would not be over.