Dutch

Which QB has the most pressure on him this season?

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB has the most pressure on him this season?

• Tony Romo
    • Christan Ponder
    • Matt Ryan
    • Sam Braford
    • Peyton Manning
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Matt Schaub
    • Josh Freeman
    • Michael Vick (assuming he starts)
    • Brandon Weeden
    • Mark Sanchez

With Flacco, contract or not, he just won a superbowl. All these other QBs have pressure in order to get where Flacco is; a superbowl winning QB. No pressure in my eyes. He could bomb and completely suck this year. He still has hardware and you can never take that away. Not like he would get cut after 1 bad season anyway.

But I think boldin made him look good. Hes not worth that contract.

I'm not talking about Flacco's talent or contract. All I'm saying is that he doesn't have any pressure heading into the next season because he just won the superbowl.

Really ? The guy who did not have 1000 yards or 5 TD's in the regular season ? That guy.

I honestly don't think Sanchez can be the most guy under pressure. He probably won't be starting by the end of the year, and the way Mr. Ryan has been talking, he's gonna have to earn his start at the beginning.

Peyton Manning is a scrub in the playoffs. He was brought to Denver to win a SB, nothing else. If he fails again this year... I dunno. Does he have the most pressure on him out of all these guys... Eh, maybe not. But everyone is watching.

Andrew Luck. After a "cinderella" rookie season and going 11-5 everybody in indy is going to expect more add to the fact he had a better rookie season and went to the playoffs unlike Manning when he was a rookie.

People are saying Sanchez but I honestly cant see him starting, so I dont see much pressure.

While all these QBs have a lot of pressure, Vick is clearly the most since he is the most likely to be benched. An arguement could be made for Freeman as well, but Glennon is a raw prospect and therefore will not start this year. He simply isnt as good as Freeman.

Apparently, Mark Sanchez may not have as much pressure on him as we think.

Those chicks are hot though.

Pretty tough. Each guy has an argument for it in some way or another. I'm gonna go with Manning. He's getting older. He just came off an immensely successful season post-surgery that he may not be able to replicate this season, despite the awesome addition of Welker. He got eliminated from the playoffs way before they were expected to. I really thought last year was their year to represent the AFC, so I'm interested to see how they respond, and Manning in particular.

I don't really think Romo is under that much pressure. I haven't gotten any sense that he will be any different from any other year, and that leads me to believe he also isn't in any real danger of losing the gig.

Sanchez shouldn't really be considered under pressure because everyone knows he's going to fail :p. And then even more excuses will be made to keep him around, and on the cycle goes.

I think two names that should be included should be Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Tannehill. SF went to the SB under Colin's leadership, but can he hold up like that through an entire season? Will defenses cue in better on his tendencies and make him work even harder on his progressions (which already seem pretty solid, btw)? And with Tanny, you've got this extreme makeover receiving corps that we spent a small fortune to secure, and a potential rising star in Miller for backfield support. Will he be able to build on one of the best rookie seasons from a Dolphin? Who knows?

I have to say Joe Flacco.

He was bought and paid for on the potential of what he could be in the regular season. If he wants to keep every dime of that obscene fortune he has to produce consistently in the regular season. The caveat is if he limps in and has another historic post season than it will again quell the masses.

If not though, I am not sure the media can rag on him much more but if there is a chance they will and he will earn the ire of his fanbase.

Saw this post after the fact. Pretty good point there.

I think two names that should be included should be Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Tannehill. SF went to the SB under Colin's leadership, but can he hold up like that through an entire season? Will defenses cue in better on his tendencies and make him work even harder on his progressions (which already seem pretty solid, btw)? And with Tanny, you've got this extreme makeover receiving corps that we spent a small fortune to secure, and a potential rising star in Miller for backfield support. Will he be able to build on one of the best rookie seasons from a Dolphin? Who knows?

I didn't add rookies because there can only be so much pressure in their 2nd year compared against guys who have had several years and are pressured to have success now. Some of them are in do or die situations and others must prove it now mode. Rookies seem somewhat exempt in this regard having only played one year. They have more leniency and can afford to have a bad year.

I didn't add rookies because there can only be so much pressure in their 2nd year compared against guys who have had several years and are pressured to have success now. Some of them are in do or die situations and others must prove it now mode. Rookies seem somewhat exempt in this regard having only played one year. They have more leniency and can afford to have a bad year.

Even if they opened up with a bang? Look at Cam Newton and the shredding he got in his second year for not living up to his rookie numbers.

There's been a huge misconception of Cam Newton. Cam Newton's season was relatively close to his rookie year.

Rookie year- 4051 yards, 21 TDs, 17 int, 60%, 84.5 qbr, 709 rushing yards & 14 rushing TDs.

Sophomore year- 3869 yards, 19 TDs, 12 int, 57.7%, 86.2 qbr, 741 rushing yards & 8 rushing TDs.

Cam didn't hit a sophomore slump of any kind. He just got lost in all the RG3, Luck, and Wilson hype.

Even after a bang, these rookies can afford/withstand a bad to average year more than the rest of the guys on that list.

• Upvote 1

I don't really think Romo is under that much pressure. I haven't gotten any sense that he will be any different from any other year, and that leads me to believe he also isn't in any real danger of losing the gig.

Of course he isn't. He should be under pressure, but he knows as long as Jones is his GM he'll never lose his job as the starting QB. Still I don't know how many more times the Cowboys can go 8-8 before they have to start questioning why they're paying this guy so much money.

I'd say all three of last year's rookie phenoms have a lot of pressure this season. Luck is supposed to be the new Manning, RGIII is coming off of that injury with everyone looking to see if he can come back the same and how differently he'll be utilized, and Wilson is being underrated at every turn despite having a rookie record for TD passes. They all three have something different to prove, but equal pressure to prove it.

Flacco and Romo Ryan have a good deal of pressure on them. Flacco and Romo both just got HUGE deals. One can kind of understand that they had their franchises over a barrel—especially Flacco—but they're making wheelbarrows full of cash. It's insane. Romo needs to win something fast now, or fans will barbecue his ass. Flacco has to continue to perform at the level he did to bring his team a ring, or he'll be cooked as well.

Ryan has some pressure, but considerably less than the other two imo. He's playing for a payday, but if Romo showed us anything, it's that these days you don't really have to win anything to get paid. Being a stat monster is apparently enough, and add to that the fact that the Falcons are a consistent playoff team with Ryan under center, and you get another franchise held hostage. There's no way that the Falcons can let Ryan go after seeing what happens to franchises that lose out on the QB lottery. In this day and age, teams can't afford to let good QB's go, even if they don't win the big ones. Not with the chance of having to settle for a Matt Cassel or Jake Locker or Christian Ponder. Ryan could have another good yet disappointing season, and he's getting his 100+ mil payday.

I'd say all three of last year's rookie phenoms have a lot of pressure this season. Luck is supposed to be the new Manning, RGIII is coming off of that injury with everyone looking to see if he can come back the same and how differently he'll be utilized, and Wilson is being underrated at every turn despite having a rookie record for TD passes. They all three have something different to prove, but equal pressure to prove it.

Flacco and Romo Ryan have a good deal of pressure on them. Flacco and Romo both just got HUGE deals. One can kind of understand that they had their franchises over a barrel—especially Flacco—but they're making wheelbarrows full of cash. It's insane. Romo needs to win something fast now, or fans will barbecue his ass. Flacco has to continue to perform at the level he did to bring his team a ring, or he'll be cooked as well.

Ryan has some pressure, but considerably less than the other two imo. He's playing for a payday, but if Romo showed us anything, it's that these days you don't really have to win anything to get paid. Being a stat monster is apparently enough, and add to that the fact that the Falcons are a consistent playoff team with Ryan under center, and you get another franchise held hostage. There's no way that the Falcons can let Ryan go after seeing what happens to franchises that lose out on the QB lottery. In this day and age, teams can't afford to let good QB's go, even if they don't win the big ones. Not with the chance of having to settle for a Matt Cassel or Jake Locker or Christian Ponder. Ryan could have another good yet disappointing season, and he's getting his 100+ mil payday.

I agree with everything you said. In regard to the rookies, I used the word somewhat exempt earlier and I shouldn't have. The rookies will have some pressure to match the success that they had last year. I just didn't see it reaching the levels of these guys who have had multiple seasons/chances to get it done.

Now, as far as Flacco, he definitely has a little pressure to perform at least some what at the level he did in the play offs in the regular season (without Boldin). Not mention the departure of Ray Lewis which makes it officially Joe's team now and that hefty contract when majority think he got over paid. The expectations that come along with success does rise with each stride. But, in the same instance, he did just win the Superbowl; something that those other guys on that list are trying to get or repeat. His pressure is NO where near the other guys fresh off a Superbowl win. Flacco is chilling.

ThHHwcf.gif

The pressure seems to be mounting for Ponder. After hearing several interviews from Vikings players (Jared Allen among them), they all bring up Ponder's progression and how they will rely on him more this season. When you look at the additions of Jennings and Patterson AND with having A.P in the backfield, you are expected to do great. I'm pretty sure a few QBs would love to be in that situation. Last season was unacceptable. I liked Ponder when he came into the league and thought he has the potential to be more than a journeyman QB. So far, he's proving me wrong and with all the receiving additions they have this season, he's expected to do well. It has to be do or die. The Vikings have to put it together soon rather then later while they have an extraordinary player like A.P.

Edited by dutchff7

It amazes me that outside the Panther nation everyone wants to say Cam is this or that. Too much focus on the W's. Yeah I know the wins are what matters. However, in Cam's defense, Cam has put his team in the position to win but his defense let him down. Last I checked he didn't play defense.

He is emerging as a leader and not much of a hotseat, IMO.

I think Freeman is on the hotseat over Sanchez because IMO Sanchez has already lost it, they just won't say so.

They drafted Glennon to make Freeman know they weren't kidding about replacing him.

How's it anyone other than Sanchez? He might not even be the starter on day one. Most of the others will have the job the entire season if healthy. Sanchez has a high high draft pick behind him.

Sanchez or Freeman. Most of the others on the list are a year away from the hotseat. Freeman is in his contract year. Sanchez is in the 'am I going to be Brady Quinn' year.

• Upvote 1

I think the argument against it being Sanchez is that all expectations are gone and he's only in the conversation as a starter because he's too expensive to cut and Geno Smith likely won't be ready right away. No pressure because everyone's given up on him.

I voted Josh Freeman. At first I thought Romo, but with his new contract in place he really has nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the help JJ. :rofl:

But seriously, Freeman is entering the final year of his rookie contract,and it's his job to lose. He controls his own future here. So can he finally becomes the franchise quarterback the Buccaneers so desperately seek? Or just another back-up and journeyman. I wish Freeman the best but, if he doesn't deliver this year, I can see Mike Glennon stepping in nicely.

I think the pressure quadrupled for Ponder after his performance Sunday.