Dutch

Which QB has the most pressure on him this season?

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB has the most pressure on him this season?

• Tony Romo
    • Christan Ponder
    • Matt Ryan
    • Sam Braford
    • Peyton Manning
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Matt Schaub
    • Josh Freeman
    • Michael Vick (assuming he starts)
    • Brandon Weeden
    • Mark Sanchez

Which QB going into the 2013 season will have the most pressure and why?

I'm going to be a homer just to talk about my own teams situation. Vick hasn't played well since that 2010 break out season. With all the critics mounting against him about his decision making, being able to read defenses, and durability, Vick has a lot to prove. Not to mention he's basically on a 1 year contract so it's clear he's not the long term answer. Vick has a 2nd year QB Nick Foles who showed some promise after he went down last year. The Eagles also drafted a QB Matt Barkley in the 4th round. The Eagles have a new head coach in Chip Kelly who's philosophy seems to match Vick's skill set. New offense, healthy O-line, basically a fresh start. The pressure to succeed is enormous imo and could possibly be Vick's last go around as a starter in this league (who knows, maybe the jags or raiders would pick him up next year).

Could make a huge case for Romo who received a lucrative contract that he didn't deserve. Highly over paid for a QB who hasn't been to the play offs in 3 years and only 1 play off win since he took over the starting job in 2006. He's like 1 for 6 in do or die games to get into the play offs. He's the poster boy for choke artist. A lot of pressure to play in Dallas and as soon as he throws a bad pick, the heat will follow.

Edited by dutchff7

Peyton manning. Because if he doesn't win in the playoffs I'm dropping a bus on him.

Almost every QB has pressure on them, but these are the ones at the top IMO.

Joe Flacco - Have to live up to that big contract and Super Bowl MVP.

Josh Freeman - Contract year and talks that coach doesn't like him.

Tony Romo - Needs to wins some big games.

Tom Brady - Hasn't won a title in a long time. Time to get #4.

Peyton Manning - He needs a 2nd ring to kind of kill some of the playoff choking talk.

Russell Wilson - A lot of hype around he and the Seahawks, can he live up to it?

Cam Newton - A lot of talent and hype, but hasn't actually won anything.

Matt Ryan

I dont really think Newton has much pressure on him at all. No one expects anything from Carolina this year. Look at Schein's article, they're already dismissing the team. Compare that to last year when everyone was expecting Newton to carry the team entirely on his own, lol.

Mark Sanchez has a ton of pressure on him to play well, even in preseason or he might not be starting at all come September. Josh Freeman has a QB behind him now that the Bucs might be willing to give the reins too.

I dont really think Romo has much pressure, he just a huge extension. Yeah the Boys aren't going anywhere, again, but the man has his money.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

I dont really think Newton has much pressure on him at all. No one expects anything from Carolina this year. Look at Schein's article, they're already dismissing the team. Compare that to last year when everyone was expecting Newton to carry the team entirely on his own, lol.

Mark Sanchez has a ton of pressure on him to play well, even in preseason or he might not be starting at all come September. Josh Freeman has a QB behind him now that the Bucs might be willing to give the reins too.

I dont really think Romo has much pressure, he just a huge extension. Yeah the Boys aren't going anywhere, again, but the man has his money.

Yeah, Sanchez is really a good pick. He will be under a microscope every time he touches the field. Then with the NY media and potential QB controversy with Geno Smith looming over him, Sanchez probably has the most pressure of them all. Eyes are going to be on him even in public practices. God forbid he does horrible in the preseason.

Christian Ponder... if not only because I'm a Vikings' fan.

I'd lean towards Freeman, its his contract year and he has been really inconsistent. If he plays good the Bucs could potentially make the playoffs, if he sucks he could be replaced by Glennon.

I picked Tony Romo as Russell Wilson wasn't on the list.

Romo just got paid a bigger contract than the Superbowl MVP and if he doesn't live up to it this year I guarantee things are not going to be sunny in Dallas. His reputation simply cannot survive another 8-8 season in light of all the money and support Dallas is throwing at him. Romo has to make it happen, unfortunately I don't think he can with Jerry calling the shots.

As for my real pick, Wilson had a hell of a season last year. He led the Seahawks into the playoffs and came oh-so-close to the NFC championship game. Now everyone has high expectations for Seattle and Wilson has to prove that last year was not a fluke. He's dealt with pressure just fine so far, and he's a complete workaholic whose completely obsessed with studying and learning the game and improving his craft so I don't see too much risk of a meltdown, but only time will tell.

no mention of Locker? he was a top ten pick and is going into his third year and we've spent the entire offseason building pieces to make it easier for him setting him up for a no-excuses make-or-break season, if he doesn't perform well this year (I'm tempted to say if he doesn't take us to the playoffs, but I'm not sure I want to go that far out on the limb) we'll be in the market for a new QB in the offseason

I said Bradford. The Rams are starting to put the pieces together. No more excuses. The former number 1 overall pick has to produce this year or he'll be looking for work.

Tony Romo, although it seems like most people outside of Dallas expect him to do poorly at this point. The fact that he can't have many chances left puts a lot of pressure on him.

Cam Newton also needs to be on the list. His name had completely different meaning a year ago. He was taken #1 overall, which is never good for a quarterbacks expectations. Then, he set records and looked like one of the league's most dominant running and passing threats. Since, he's looked extremely meh, and outside of being a good athlete, doesn't look like he has much to offer as a leader.

Brandon Weeden. The pressure is on him from the start of training camp and preseason. If he doesn't look good then Jason Campbell will take over for him and then they will probably be drafting a QB in the next draft. Weeden will have a tough time finding a starting job somewhere else if he fails in Cleveland. a lot of that has to do with his age. If Ponder fails in Minnesota, I think another team will give him a chance because he's still young. Weeden is 29, so this is his shot.

Cleveland wants a winning season. And if they do not get it, they will kill Brandon Weeden. In the Dog Pound. Publicly. In front of his wife and children. So yeah, the pressure's on.

Edited by BradyFan81

I'm kind of torn on multiple choices.

Bradford was the first QB that came to mind, so I voted for him, but Locker, Schaub and Freeman are also up there for me.

Mark Sanchez definitely. People in NYC are gonna ask for Geno right after his first bad performance.

Christian Ponder... if not only because I'm a Vikings' fan.

He's definitely under pressure, if he doesn't show improvement this year, the Vikings are definitely going to be looking at QBs in the 2014 draft.

Mark Sanchez definitely. People in NYC are gonna ask for Geno right after his first bad performance. incompletion.

FTFY

I'm legitimately surprised that I (and NY Diehard quoting me) am the only mention of Ponder in this thread.

I am going to go with Ponder it's time for him to get better or be replaced Bradford is also another guy you could say the same thing for though.

Edited by Sacks98

I'd say it's Sanchez and Vick by a long shot over the rest. I guess I'll give the edge to Vick simply because he's becoming so injury prone but they're both looking at losing their starting positions for good. Sanchez could make the case that it was just the team dynamic that didn't fit him. It was contoured for Vick so he can't really say much.

As for picking Romo, I think his heavier decision-making in the team puts more pressure than his contract. Plenty of people have lucrative contracts but not many have the control that the staff has given him. This year isn't a make-or-break year for him either.. so all the players who are in their contract years should be ranked above him in this category.

• Upvote 1

The Geno hype train is starting to build up. Sanchez has to be feeling it.

I voted for Sanchise, he has a short leash, someone nipping at his heels and the spotlight. Depends on how you define pressure though. Peyton probably leads the way if you view it as superbowl or bust pressure.

Ponder, Bradford, Weeden, Freeman, Sanchez, and Vick will all enter into dire situations. This is essentially a make or break season for all of these quarterbacks, as Sanchez and Vick already have viable backups and Freeman has a developmental backup. Expect the vikings, rams, and browns to draft a qb or get one through FA should their starting qbs falter.

• Upvote 1

I'd say Freeman or Bradford. Both guys now have the weapons they need and don't really have any excuses for poor play this year. If they don't play well next year, both teams will probably move on and try to find another QB.

Didn't Romo just get a 5 year extension? Don't understand why he's leading the poll.