Sign in to follow this  
Milla4Prez63

DLC

I was talking to someone about this today and wanted some other opinions on video game downloadable content (DLC). He was arguing that video game companies are starting to take advantage of people by releasing all this stuff that should already be in the game for extra money and I know that is kind of a popular opinion. But I honestly view it as just some bonus stuff to explore more with. As long as it isn't vital to the game's main plot or gameplay, it shouldn't matter. But I'll admit to being a sucker for DLC. I rushed out for every bit of Skyrim DLC and am anxiously awaiting every bit of DLC news for Injustice right now. What do you guys think?

If the stuff is already on the disk, then it's criminal. If it's new content, I see no issue with developers putting it out. The thing I hate about DLC is when an incomplete game is released, and then you need DLC for the rest of it. I blame Call of Duty.

• Upvote 2

If the stuff is already on the disk, then it's criminal. If it's new content, I see no issue with developers putting it out. The thing I hate about DLC is when an incomplete game is released, and then you need DLC for the rest of it. I blame Call of Duty.

I totally agree with that. But for a game like Injustice, getting extra characters and skins as DLC is awesome for me since the game doesn't NEED that content. Just extra goodies for fans.

Yeah I agree. About 90% of DLC is, "oh this cool feature is in the game anyway. but you need to pay over and above to get it".

Which is why I liked what Ubisoft did with Far Cry 3. You got points for achieving certain things in the game, and then you could use that to "purchase" their additional content...one of which was a whole new area of the game.

Games that release DLC very soon after release are pretty much scamming customers. As Razor said, CoD is a huge proponent of this... But lesser examples are out there and the list grows by the day. If a company is charging you for DLC of ANY KIND within 1-3 months of release... The customer is getting raped.

I realize developers talk about DLC possibilities before launch, that is just part of the business.. But theoretically, planning out and having DLC ready and waiting or almost finished is thievery.

DLC should not even begin to be created until after launch.

I don't like it when DLC is planned. Like with BF3... they had the cover images for each of the DLC pack on the Premium Edition packs when you first bought them. Why the hell couldn't they put that on the game? Oh, right... EA.

I like when DLC is legit just made up of original ideas or something. Maybe that hasn't happened and I just think it's happened... I don't know, but I think that's better than "We can release this DLC pack four months after with this content in it."

Speaking of EA, and this is a different rant....

Those stupid Online Pass codes they give out piss me off beyond belief. Those have no reason for existing.

• Upvote 1

I don't even think those work if you get onto your account on another Xbox. I tried to play on my account at my friend's house and it was insisting that I get an Online Pass. I thought, "Maybe, the thing just expired? Still bullshit... but..."

No... AS SOON AS I GOT HOME I PLAYED AND IT WORKED. EA literally just scams as much money out of us as possible. I've decided I'm not going to buy BF4 for two reasons: it's pretty obvious that the campaign is going :COD:, and because fuck EA and everything that the assholes who run that piece of shit stand for.

/end completely unrelated/inappropriate rant

Edited by Vikingfan465

Ya, the BF3 campaign really made me yawn. The online MP still contrasts very nicely to the style of CoD, so I still enjoyed it, but not as much as I should have. In CoD, I am all about K/D ration, getting killstreaks, and winning games. In Battlefield, my favorite things are destroying vehicles and healing people. No shits are given to my K/D. It's a nice contrast.

I am kind of excited for Call of Duty: Ghosts though. I always preferred the MW arc over the Black Ops arc, and I got myself a fancy poster from Gamestop the other day. :corn:

Edited by Favre4Ever

BF3's campaign was pretty boring; I agree. I'm talking about BF4's campaign teaser, in which you shoot down a helicopter (that miraculously misses you about 40,000 times with rockets and its nose gun despite being no more than twenty feet away from you) with a stand alone M320.

Ah, I haven't seen that yet. :shifty:

Go to around 8:30 or 8:45.

Edited by Vikingfan465

The best DLC I've ever purchased was Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption. All the Call of Duty ones were simply for more maps, which really weren't ever worth it (excluding Zombies). Oh, and Mass Effect did pretty decent with theirs too.

It pisses me off when companies release DLC for games the day it comes out or shortly after. I don't agree with DLC and refuse to buy it.

I've only bought DLC's for Fallout and Skyrim, and I'm fine with what they released. Those are already huge time-consuming games with tons of content and a lot of hard work put into them. A DLC for a game like that just adds some fun extra content and extra hours of game play for the fans that want to play further.

I've never had any desire to buy DLC's for any non-RPG game though. It never seems like the added content is worth the additional price.

The best DLC I've ever purchased was Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption. All the Call of Duty ones were simply for more maps, which really weren't ever worth it (excluding Zombies). Oh, and Mass Effect did pretty decent with theirs too.

What?

Mass Effect is a prime example of how NOT to do DLC. Day-1 DLC with Mass Effect 3 was fucking unbelievable, especially after the PC users cracked the disk and found the content in there. I can play with Javik and I've never bought the DLC. Fucking scumbag EA.

Skyrim charging $20 for their DLC is dumb. The best DLC I've played and one I didn't mind paying money for, is Borderlands DLC, both 1 and 2, (with the exception of the very last one which was way too hard). Some great times in those DLC.

DLC is not really a patch, though, its more of a mini-expansion.

Agree 100% with Thanatos. If there's a day 1 DLC for a game, that company can eat shit because you better believe that content is on the disk.

Speaking of EA, and this is a different rant....

Those stupid Online Pass codes they give out piss me off beyond belief. Those have no reason for existing.

Yup, if you buy the game used you end up spending more for the game sometimes if you wanna play online.

What?

Mass Effect is a prime example of how NOT to do DLC. Day-1 DLC with Mass Effect 3 was fucking unbelievable, especially after the PC users cracked the disk and found the content in there. I can play with Javik and I've never bought the DLC. Fucking scumbag EA.

Skyrim charging $20 for their DLC is dumb. The best DLC I've played and one I didn't mind paying money for, is Borderlands DLC, both 1 and 2, (with the exception of the very last one which was way too hard). Some great times in those DLC.

DLC is not really a patch, though, its more of a mini-expansion.

I didn't purchase the ME DLC until after I beat the game so maybe that's why I'm not too against it. The story line was amazing with it. Playing through again with the DLC made it feel like a new game.

Completely forgot about the Borderlands DLC. Loved them, especially playing split screen with brews.

I don't typically buy DLC for games. Not for moral or principles or anything, I am just cheap like that. When I do go and purchase DLC, I will always wait until I have beaten the game. It can sometimes make the game feel brand new (as rzb said).