Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

Rodgers Asks For The Packers To Retire Favre's #4

http://www.prosports...rticleId=250743

The once-distant relationship between Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers has seen significant progress over the last three months.In February, Favre and his predecessor, Aaron Rodgers, handed out the NFL comeback player of the year award together during the NFL honors ceremony.

Last week, Packers president Mark Murphy said he envisioned a day when the three-time MVP quarterback would take part in the team's annual Tailgate Tour and further suggested the team's willingness to welcome him back into the fold.

On Wednesday during an appearance on "The Jim Rome Show," Rodgers reiterated his previously stated desire for the two sides to come together following their messy separation in 2008.

While it's widely assumed Favre will be a first-ballot selection to the Pro Football Hall once he's been retired for five full NFL seasons in 2016, Rodgers said he's hoping to see the organization retire their all-time leading passer's number before then."I'm excited about it. I really am," Rodgers said of the reconciliation. "It's been too long. I think our country and the state of Wisconsin, these people are people of second, third and fourth chances, and I think it's time to let the healing process begin for those who are still upset about what went down.

"I was totally OK with being out front of that and I'm very secure of the things I've been able to accomplish with the team and individually here in Green Bay, and excited about the chance to see him again and get his number retired here before he goes into Canton."

The Packers have said they wish to retire Favre's No. 4, but are waiting for an appropriate time. It would be the sixth number the team has retired with Reggie White's No. 92 being the most recent in 2005.

After spending three seasons together in Green Bay, Rodgers and Favre ceased to have a relationship after the team's decision to part ways with Favre upon his first return from retirement in 2008.

A year after being traded to the New York Jets, Favre retired again before signing with the NFC North Division rival Minnesota where he spent the final two seasons of his career.

Over the past year, however, Rodgers and Favre have publicly buried the hatchet, beginning at the NFL Honors ceremony.

"We had a good time. It was fun to catch up with him. It was good to see him," said Rodgers, who signed a five-year, $110 million extension this offseason that will keep him in Green Bay through his 36th birthday.

"I look forward to him being back in the fold as Mark Murphy has said. I think it's time for our fans and this organization and Brett to heal through this and move forward together before he gets the greatest honor of being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

Rodgers :wub:

Edited by RANGA

Quite possibly the best guy ever. He's right, too. It needs to happen, and sooner rather than later. I'd love to do it against Minnesota. That would be delightful.

• Upvote 1

Quite possibly the best guy ever. He's right, too. It needs to happen, and sooner rather than later. I'd love to do it against Minnesota. That would be delightful.

:laugh: that would be hilarious...

Yea I know I bitch a lot about Favre when he went to the Vikings but at the time it felt like a shot against everything Green Bay. That said I would love for the #4 to be retired in honor of Brett and as soon as possible. Aaron continues to show how classy he is in this as well.

post-8676-0-64697800-1369331072_thumb.jpg

LOL!! Nah, seriously he deserves to have his #4 retired! For all he did for the Green Bay organization! Absolutely!!

• Upvote 1

favre.jpg

LOL!! Nah, seriously he deserves to have his #4 retired! For all he did for the Green Bay organization! Absolutely!!

A competent Bear fan? Welcome aboard!

Yea I know I bitch a lot about Favre when he went to the Vikings but at the time it felt like a shot against everything Green Bay. That said I would love for the #4 to be retired in honor of Brett and as soon as possible. Aaron continues to show how classy he is in this as well.

You cheered for the lions before. Thats going against Green Bay. Nice to see Favre going to get what he deserves. I hate the fact they played and play for satan's minions but cant deny a rod and favres talent and accomplishments.

Yeah, he'll have his number retired. I just think the Packers wanted to make sure 100% that he was retired before they did. If it doesn't happen this year, it'll happen in 2014, no doubt.

Brett Favre on breakup with Packers: 'I was at fault'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210090/article/brett-favre-on-breakup-with-packers-i-was-at-fault

A formal reunion between The Green Bay Packers and No. 4 is creeping closer and closer.

Brett Favre, speaking to Joe Buscaglia of WGR-AM in Buffalo on Thursday to promote Jim Kelly's "Hunter's Hope" charity auction, took part of the blame for how his end with the Packers transpired.

"It's over and done with. I was at fault," Favre said, per the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "I feel that both sides had a part in it. If you could go back would I or them have done things differently? I'm sure both sides would. But you can't."

Favre has discussed burying the hatchet in the past, but he hasn't been as forthright in taking ownership of how he put the Packers in a tough spot after his initial retirement.

When asked about having his number retired, Favre was optimistic it would happen soon and credited team president Mark Murphy for patching the discord.

"I'm honored just by the thought," Favre said. "Obviously there was, if you want to call it, 'bad blood' or whatever, I just think that people started picking sides. And really I'm over that and have been over it. Mark Murphy and I have talked on numerous occasions. I never expected them to do anything. I'm not one to sit here and say I think they need to do this and do that."

Current Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers put emphasis on a Favre-Packers reunion late last month, saying it was about time for the "healing process" to begin. The frigid relationship between Favre and Rodgers has been questioned in the past, but Favre reiterated that their appearance together at the 2013 NFL Honors wasn't an act.

"Aaron has said some very nice things," Favre said. "He and I have a good relationship. I had a chance to present an award with him at the Super Bowl and that was for real. It wasn't for show. And so I think everything will be fine."

Favre said he had no idea when a reunion would happen.

"As time goes, it heals a lot of things," he said. "So the things that transpired that led to us 'breaking up' if you will, to me, are over and done with. When will (the jersey retirement) happen? I don't think either side is trying to push the issue. ...I think both sides are genuine. I know they are. And that's the way it has to come across because that's the way it should be. We don't want to go out there waving to the crowd with our backs to each other. And I don't think that's going to happen."

Of course, in true Favrian fashion, he did take some credit for setting an example for how not to handle the exit of a future Hall of Fame quarterback.

"I don't know for certain, but I think the situation with Peyton (Manning) and the Colts almost looked like our situation but then maybe they thought twice about it and maybe they learned from our situation and they handled it correctly," Favre said.

It looks like a Favre and Packers reunion is in the making. It was only a matter of time but long over due.

Brett Favre paved the way for A-Rod. It's only right that he would want him to get into the Hall. He missed out on the ring after leaving so much on the field for Green Bay. It's only right and everyone knows it. Can't wait to hear his speech.

Regardless of the way Favre personally conducts himself, there's no doubt about the immense impact he had on the Packers organization and all that he did while he was the QB. I think it's time to retire his number as well and hopefully both sides can do that sooner rather than later.

Just another thing that shows why Aaron Rodgers is pure class. It would be nice to see other players learn from him and follow the example that he has set ever since he got into the league.

• Upvote 1

Former NFL quarterback Brett Favre told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Thursday that Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers will "shatter" his records.

All parties have been moving toward a reconciliation, and that continued Thursday as Favre praised Rodgers.

"Aaron has played extremely well, probably even better than anyone anticipated, but I knew he was capable of that and that's why they drafted him," Favre said. "Barring any injury he'll shatter everything I ever did there except for maybe consecutive games."

ESPN

Bert can keep the interception record, too. :laugh:

This is cool and all, and I completely agree that Rodgers is a classy guy, but this isn't some ground-breaking reiteration of that imo. Both of these guys are doing what they're supposed to do and saying what they're supposed to say. Favre had to admit some guilt. Otherwise Packers fans would never take this seriously. The club has to retire the best QB from a statistical standpoint's number before he gets into the HOF, otherwise they look like whiny grudge carrying toddlers. As for Rodgers, what do you expect him to say? "So what if Brett holds every significant career passing record and won as many SB rings as I have. I don't like him, so wah. Don't retire his jersey. Screw that guy."

It was an inevitability, and it's about time that it happened. You guys are probably right about the Pack wanting to make sure he was gonna stay retired, too. This is good for Brett, good for Rodgers, good for the Packers, and good for the fans. Everyone involved benefits from this as far as I see it. Kudos to everyone for acting like the grown-up professionals that they are. :clap: