butta54

Which Young QB Would You Build A Team With?

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Young QB Do You Take

• Cam Newton
    • Matt Stafford
    • Andrew Luck
    • Russell Wilson

I'll take Luck or Cam.

RG3 is too big of a gamble compared to the other choices.

I'm not convinced of Wilson yet. This season will tell me a lot.

Cam has proven himself to me but his head isn't entirely there yet.

Luck looks to be a winner if he can minimize his bad decision making which should come with experience.

Andrew Luck and it isnt close.

LUCK! Nothing more to say.

If I'm picking one to be my franchise guy, there is NO question in my mind..Luck all day!! There's nobody else I would go with. Not even RGIII

Cam Newton :shifty:

If you could get his head on straight you would have could have a great QB on your hands.

And I don't know why people are saying Luck and its not even close.

Edited by Bucman
  • Upvote 2

At this point, Wilson. He's played pretty damn well in some big games against some good football teams and he's just getting started.

Cam Newton :shifty:

If you could get his head on straight you would have could have a great QB on your hands.

And I don't know why people are saying Luck and its not even close.

Cause he won 11 games, and a million comebacks!

The reason why I found Luck to be the easiest choice was because of what he did in an extremely adverse situation.

He came on to a team that had already shown itself to be really bad. Then his head coach missed the majority of the season. His offensive coordinator happened to be a huge fan of the seven step drop vertical passing attack.

Biggest problems with that were that the Colts' running game was one of the worst in the NFL (3.8 YPC as a team, and only 11 TD's- 5 of which were Luck's) and that their offensive line protected Luck about as badly as any group in the NFL in 2012 (PFF ranked them 31st in protection; FO, accounting for seven step drops, ranked them 18th). Reported 245 combined sacks, hits, and hurries last year. And the rest of his offensive cast- outside of Reggie Wayne- was composed of either rookies or journeymen.

Then you have the defense which really couldn't hold a lead or prevent an opponent from gaining one. 26th in yards allowed, 29th in rushing yards allowed (ball control), and 21st in points allowed.

So when you roll all that up and then look at what he accomplished despite it all, I view it as the most impressive of all the rookie seasons. And an indicator that as the team improves, Luck could be one of or the best QB in the game.

• Upvote 1

Yeah Andrew Luck was really impressive to me last year. Not a real strong running game and the Colts attacked down the field. He completed only 54% of his passes, but still have a respectable ypa at 7.0. He's a mentally tough football player. He overcame a lot of adversity in the offseason and showed consistently that he can have a poor game and still make plays at the end of games to get wins.

Lets not under sell his weapons though. He's got two good pass catching TE's that provide easy targets and perhaps the best possession WR in the league in Reggie Wayne. The Colts also played a pretty cake schedule last year.

To me it's pretty close between him and Wilson to me.

Yeah Andrew Luck was really impressive to me last year. Not a real strong running game and the Colts attacked down the field. He completed only 54% of his passes, but still have a respectable ypa at 7.0. He's a mentally tough football player. He overcame a lot of adversity in the offseason and showed consistently that he can have a poor game and still make plays at the end of games to get wins.

Lets not under sell his weapons though. He's got two good pass catching TE's that provide easy targets and perhaps the best possession WR in the league in Reggie Wayne. The Colts also played a pretty cake schedule last year.

To me it's pretty close between him and Wilson to me.

The schedule was indeed pretty easy. But I do think that it's fair to point out that outside of Wayne, his best weapons were rookies (Allen and Hilton in particular). I'm not trying to undersell their abilities, but I do think it adds to overall resume of 2012 that one rookie was able to get so much done with other first year players.

I really like Wilson. I think he is and is going to be very good. But the choice is simple when I consider that he was asked to do less with more, and Luck was asked to do more with less.

I personally don't care because overall I'm taking RGIII over any of these guys because he's far and away the most talented passer.

But what exactly did he accomplish? Throwing for 4300 yards? Putting up bad stats behind a bad line?

He really didn't accomplish much if anything outside of the comebacks.

I personally don't care because overall I'm taking RGIII over any of these guys because he's far and away the most talented passer.

But what exactly did he accomplish? Throwing for 4300 yards? Putting up bad stats behind a bad line?

He really didn't accomplish much if anything outside of the comebacks.

His production is so-so or even sub-par when held up against your top end QB's. But as a rookie? With that team? Impressive stuff. You just don't see rookies producing like that in bad spots.

And I still want to see what Griffin can do without all the running- because I don't think that's sustainable.

As much as I like RGIII and Wilson for me it would come down to Cam and Luck. Cam if he can get his head on straight could be one of the hardest players to game plan for on a weekly basis and the fact that he is a bit bigger I trust him to handle being able to run a bit more than Wilson and RGIII. Most likely though I would choose Luck. The guy in my opinion has the best head of them all and for a quarterback nothing is more valuable. I actually expect him to have the biggest season of them all this year. The Colts added a lot of young talent around him last year, added to the OL talent, hired his old OC, and if Bradshaw can stay healthy should have an improved run game.

RGIII showed the ability/potential to be a great passer both in college and in the pros. As I said before, as far as im concerned he's the most talented passer of all of them. He was in as adverse a situation as any rookie and he played exceptional.

RGIII showed the ability/potential to be a great passer both in college and in the pros. As I said before, as far as im concerned he's the most talented passer of all of them. He was in as adverse a situation as any rookie and he played exceptional.

RGIII had one of the league's most effective rushing attacks (even outside of his own contribution), was able to work heavily from play action (league high 42% of pass plays were PA; compare to 18% in IND), and was allowed to operate in a bridge offense that incorporated aspects of his system from Baylor to allow him to transition more comfortably. And while his OL and defense weren't world beaters, they were both better than Indianapolis'. Granted, Luck probably had the more talented pass catchers. But he was also asked to throw 393 times, to Luck's 627- a difference of 234. And that was because Washington could run the ball effectively with Morris to help shoulder the offensive load. Luck had to carry his offense in a system that asked him to make low % throws on 7 step drops behind a terrible offensive line. The more I look at Bruce Arians and his scheme, the more impressed I am by Luck.

• Upvote 1

RG3 isn't even a choice lol

He should be on the list. How are you going to make a thread about young QB's and leave out one of the most electrifying and promising young QBs in the game lol? Colin Kaepernick should be on this list as well.

Edited by dutchff7

He should be on the list. How are you going to make a thread about young QB's and leave out one of the most electrifying and promising young QBs in the game lol? Colin Kaepernick should be on this list as well.

He said he left them out on purpose, IIRC. Not because he doesn't think they are good, but because he just wants to have a conversation about the guys listed.

• Upvote 1

Well that worked, lol.

Maybe I should make a thread about elite QBs and leave out Aaron Rodgers :think:

Lol, in all seriousness though, it doesn't make sense to leave out a candidate that more then qualifies to be on this list. It takes a lot out of the discussion.

Edited by dutchff7

Maybe I should make a thread about elite QBs and leave out Aaron Rodgers :think:Lol, in all seriousness though, it doesn't make sense to leave out a candidate that more then qualifies to be on this list. It takes a lot out of the discussion.

LOL

As I posted earlier there were no actual qualifications, people like to go off track on here all the time and wanted to see if the conversation could simply be kept between the players mentioned on my list. And of course I was right people went off track to other QBs

LOL

As I posted earlier there were no actual qualifications, people like to go off track on here all the time and wanted to see if the conversation could simply be kept between the players mentioned on my list. And of course I was right people went off track to other QBs

You thought you could stop the RG3 hype train? :troll:

RGIII had one of the league's most effective rushing attacks (even outside of his own contribution), was able to work heavily from play action (league high 42% of pass plays were PA; compare to 18% in IND), and was allowed to operate in a bridge offense that incorporated aspects of his system from Baylor to allow him to transition more comfortably. And while his OL and defense weren't world beaters, they were both better than Indianapolis'. Granted, Luck probably had the more talented pass catchers. But he was also asked to throw 393 times, to Luck's 627- a difference of 234. And that was because Washington could run the ball effectively with Morris to help shoulder the offensive load. Luck had to carry his offense in a system that asked him to make low % throws on 7 step drops behind a terrible offensive line. The more I look at Bruce Arians and his scheme, the more impressed I am by Luck.

RGIII spent a bigger percentage of his snaps under center on pass plays then Luck. Almost 10% more of his passes came from under center then in the shotgun compared to Luck, he performed 7 step drops all the time. And even when he wasn't under center, he was in the pistol where he still would have to perform 5 step drops.

The only aspect of Baylor's offense that Mike really implemented was the read option, and the pass/run option. RGIII threw the ball down the field way more in Baylor and he has shown the ability to throw the ball all over the field.

The logic behind how many times he threw the ball isn't a good one imo. I don't buy it having that much of a bearing on how well a player is, especially since both guys are rookies.

RG3 isn't even a choice lol

BUTTA! You should know me better then that! I knew he wasn't a choice! I even posted on here on who i'd take of the group. I just wanted specify that I believed RGIII was the supreme ruler of the universe.

But if it makes you feel better, I'll drop the RGIII talk. :yep: