Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Vikings signed Desmond Bishop

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on June 11, 2013, 10:54 PM EDT

Packers linebacker Desmond Bishop racked up 218 tackles and eight sacks in two years as a starter for Green Bay. Now the Packers and Bishop could be going their separate ways.

According to Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com, the Packers intend to release Bishop if they can’t restructure his contract or work out a trade.

Bishop has been with the Packers since 2007 and earned a starting job with the team in 2010. He started 25 games over two seasons and posted a career high 115 tackles in 2011. A hamstring injury last preseason forced him to miss all of last year and Bishop has yet to be able to take part in any of the Packers offseason workouts. He was held out of OTAs and the team’s mandatory mini-camp last week.

Bishop said he is close to 100-percent and was looking to get back on the field soon. However, that field may no longer reside in Wisconsin.

It appears unlikely that Bishop would accept a contract restructure. Bishop came out and said he had his sights on being the league’s defensive player of the year. Someone with that belief in their ability isn’t going to accept a contract restructure just because of an injury. It addition to reports the Packers were seeking to trade Bishop before the draft, it appears a parting of ways may have been inevitable.

Source: ProFootballTalk

So stupid. We are going to cut both of our best ILBs this offseason to keep around AJ Hawk and overpay Brad Jones. I don't understand these moves... I really don't. With Charles Woodson gone, we need some play makers... Losing Bishop hurts us on that front.

Please don't go anywhere in the NFC N.

I would love if the Eagles took a look at him. We already have Demeco Ryans and Mychal Kendricks, but adding good players to your football team is what matters. It would create great competition.

So stupid. We are going to cut both of our best ILBs this offseason to keep around AJ Hawk and overpay Brad Jones. I don't understand these moves... I really don't. With Charles Woodson gone, we need some play makers... Losing Bishop hurts us on that front.

Please don't go anywhere in the NFC N.

1. DJ Smith was not that good. In fact he was sub-par.

2. Bishop can never stay healthy. As disappointing as this is it's not surprising.

Though I have to recall throwing a huge fit when we didn't draft an ILB higher up in the draft than we did. I haven't been around actively in well... months... but did any other Packer (or any one else for that matter) fans see this coming? I mean Bishop is hurt every single year, we cut Smith, Francois (?), AJ Hawk, and Brad Jones (who played splendidly mediocre last year) are our top 3 inside linebackers for our 3-4 defense. I couldn't have been the only one who saw the major deficiency we have at ILB position. I know there was no great ones in the draft but we could not have taken a risk on one in the second/third? I'd rather risk it at ILB than risk it at RB where we won't see success regardless because of a horrible run blocking OL.

Instead we waited until our final pick to draft a LB.. ILB was our most important position over the offseason. Draft as many stupid defensive lineman and cornerbacks as you want but you can't run a 3-4 even REMOTELY successful with the linebackers we have. God willing, Nick Perry turns into something special so we have more than one guy in the center of the D, even though he'll be rushing 80% of the time.

I may be overreacting but I don't see a bright future (2013, at least) for this defense... I guess what I can hope for is major progress from our 2012 class (Perry, Worthy, Daniels... McMillan ... whoever else)

Bishop can miss 2 starts a year if he wants and plays like he is capable of the other 14. I'll take a playmaker who shifts momentum in games in our favor for 14 games over mediocrity for 16.

ILB was not our most important position of need... We cut Hawks salary, we massively overpaid Brad Jones and we drafted Manning a couple of years ago. And then of course, Rob Francois. With Bishop and Smith out, we are still 4 deep at ILB. Why draft a guy very high?

And what about Perry being at the center of the D? He plays OLB and even if you weren't talking literally, he will never be to the point where he is great enough to be the center or foundation of our defense. Never.

Bishop can miss 2 starts a year if he wants and plays like he is capable of the other 14. I'll take a playmaker who shifts momentum in games in our favor for 14 games over mediocrity for 16.

ILB was not our most important position of need... We cut Hawks salary, we massively overpaid Brad Jones and we drafted Manning a couple of years ago. And then of course, Rob Francois. With Bishop and Smith out, we are still 4 deep at ILB. Why draft a guy very high?

And what about Perry being at the center of the D? He plays OLB and even if you weren't talking literally, he will never be to the point where he is great enough to be the center or foundation of our defense. Never.

I wouldn't mind him playing 14/16 games every year only problem is he can't. Or at least has not shown that he can, yet. He hasn't started a full season in his career yet. I know he's only been "starter" for 2.5 years thus far but still. He started 2010 midway through the season, made it through healthy though may have missed one/two games... missed a lot of games in 2011 toward the end with I believe a knee injury. Did not play in the playoffs if I recall... and played one preseason snap or something in 2012 and that was all. Don't get me wrong I'd like to see him take a pay cut to stay here but if we have to release him that's what it is..

As far as ILB go yes we do have a lot. But there's not one inkling of talent that I have seen from any of them that suggests to me they can start 16+ games a year. Which is why I thought that ILB should have been our top priority.

About Perry: When I said center I meant the vertical center not horizontal. As in the general linebacker position, as opposed to secondary/line, whereas currently there's only Matthews. Wording error that was unrelated to the ILB position entirely, my mistake.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Packers released ILB Desmond Bishop.

Bishop wouldn't accept a pay cut, so the 28-year-old hits free agency as one of the top players available. Assuming his right hamstring checks out medically -- and it was severely ruptured in last year's preseason -- Bishop would make a lot of sense reuniting with Chiefs rookie GM John Dorsey in Kansas City. A high-impact player when healthy, Bishop racked up 115 tackles, five sacks, and two forced fumbles in 13 starts in 2011, before missing all of 2012. He'd be a big upgrade on Nico Johnson and Akeem Jordan next to Derrick Johnson. Jun 17 - 2:50 PM

Source: Ty Dunne on Twitter

The Vikings are expected to host free agent ILB Desmond Bishop for a visit.

That was quick. The Vikings are interested in upgrading at middle linebacker, and Bishop could be a better option than Erin Henderson if his ruptured hamstring checks out. Henderson would then move back to the weak side. Jun 17 - 3:46 PM

Source: Wes Hodkiewicz on Twitter

Lol. The Vikings love them some ex-Packers players. I'd like for the Eagles to take a look at him.

The Vikings are such scum. They can't actually scout talent for themselves. :laugh:

I still don't know what Thompson is thinking...Is there more behind Bishop's hamstring and it not recovering fully? Or do they think that Hawk and Jones will be able to hold down the middle of the defense?

Is Bishop a bit expensive and injury-prone? Yes, but he made the defense better in 2010 and was one of the few good players on that 2011 defense.

Pretty sure it's 100% to do with injuries. If he wasn't hurt so often his paycheck for this year was something we easily could have and would have paid.

We could easily dealt with the recovery is we didn't pay Brad Jones $5 million.

With how thin the Texans are at ILB, I'd just hope they at least kick the tires in regards to Bishop.

The Florida Times Union reports the Jaguars are "exploring" free agent ILB Desmond Bishop, but have yet to schedule a visit.

Bishop is meeting with the Vikings on Tuesday and Chiefs on Thursday, so it's quite possible he'll never make it to Jacksonville. Bishop would be a nice fit for a lot of teams, but particularly the Jaguars, who need to stockpile as much talent as possible as they begin the arduous task of remaking ex-GM Gene Smith's broken roster.

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter

So we trade a 31 year-old LB, who spent most of the year off the field due to a groin injury, in for a soon to be 29 year-old LB who spent the entire season on IR due to a hammy injury. Seems legit.

Edited by Vin

Vikings DC Alan Williams termed the team's workout of free agent ILB Desmond Bishop as "due diligence."

Bishop left his Tuesday tryout without a contract. He'll now head to Kansas City on Thursday, and perhaps Jacksonville at some point down the road. Provided he's healthy — Bishop was still limited in Packers minicamp as he made his way back from a ruptured hamstring — he should have little trouble finding a new home before camp. Related: Vikings

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport says Desmond Bishop will choose between the Chiefs, Giants and Vikings.

Bishop projects to middle linebacker in the Giants' and Vikings' 4-3 schemes. In Kansas City, he would play inside linebacker in a 3-4 front. Bishop could be a nice value pick for IDP owners. Two seasons ago, he notched 115 tackles in 13 games and played about 66 snaps per contest, according to Pro Football Focus. Bishop missed the 2012 season with a hamstring injury. Jun 21 - 4:58 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

I don't want to see him in a Giants uniform. That would be a really nice pick up for them.

Edited by dutchff7

I know the Falcons were in talks with Seymore, but I wish they would have at least tried to get in touch with Bishop. We could have really used him.

I know the Falcons were in talks with Seymore, but I wish they would have at least tried to get in touch with Bishop. We could have really used him.

Bishop and Weatherspoon could be a formidable tandem.

• Upvote 1

The Vikings are such scum. They can't actually scout talent for themselves. :laugh:

You sound mad! :tissue:?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If healthy, I think Bishop could really help us. He would have K-Will, Allen, Robison, and Griffen playing in front of him. Greenway and Henderson on each side with Mr. “Hernandez Hitman” Smith behind him. Cook and Rhodes on the corners. This could be a really strong defense. Plus! We offer.. the chance to play Green Bay twice a season.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Vikings agreed to terms with MLB Desmond Bishop on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

Assuming Bishop's hamstring holds up -- a rupture of the muscle cost him the entire 2012 season -- the moves stabilizes and completes a suddenly impressive Vikings linebacker corps. Rather than trot out journeyman special teamer Marvin Mitchell on the weak side, Minnesota will move Erin Henderson back to Will with Bishop playing Mike and Chad Greenway Sam. The Vikings' front seven will continue to be stout after ranking 11th versus the run in 2012. Bishop and Greenway will be the every-down linebackers, worth targeting as LB2/3s in IDP leagues. Jun 24 - 3:06 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter

Nice move by the Vikings. This move makes them a better defensive unit. The Vikings don't hesitate on capitalizing picking up former Packers players lol.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1

I hope they go 0 - 16. Love Bish, but damn bro.

I hope they go 0 - 16. Love Bish, but damn bro.

WHAT? 0-16? C'mon man where's the love? LOL. Two of my Packer friends texted me today and you know what they said? It's sloppy seconds! LOL. I said maybe so, but the Pack tend to leave quite a bit of tread on the tires of some of their players when they leave.. But you have to admit this was a solid move?

Just something to keep in mind. When Bishop first arrived in Green Bay, the Packers were running a 4-3 Bishop was the back up to Nick Barnett the starting MLB. So I would be surprised if he’s not being signed in order to solidify the MLB for us and avoid having to move Henderson out of his normal spot. If Bishop can provide a one year stop-gap while Mauti heals up and Hodges learns the NFL game, our defense will be looking solid for years to come. Low Risk, high potential reward. I Like it!