Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

How does your team's roster stack up?

Going with the #1 at every position, and ranking if they're top 16 at their position(or top 8 for positions like FS/SS, RDE/LDE, etc). The rough area where I'd rank them in parentheses.

QB - Locker(25-28) - Nope

RB - Johnson(6-10) - Yep

FB - Q.Johnson(12-14th? If there are that many) - Are there even 16 starting FBs in the league? Either way, he's not very good. Nope.

WR - Britt(20-25) - Nope because of health/jail.

TE - Walker(18-20) - Nope

LT - Roos(1-3) - Yep

LG - Levitre(1-3) - Yep

C - Velasco(8-11) - Yep

RG - Warmack(Likely somewhere between 1-5) - Probably will be

RT - Stewart(1-3) - Yep

RDE - Wimbley(9-12) - Nope

DT - Casey(8-10) - Yep

DT - Hill(20-22) - Nope

LDE - Morgan(4-6) - Yep

SLB - Ayers(9-12) - Nope(kind of on the border with him)

MLB - McCarthy(18-20) - Nope

WLB - Brown(6-8) - Yep

CB - McCourty(10-13) - Yep

SS - Pollard(7-9) - Yep

FS - Griffin(16) - Nope

K - Bironas(1-5) - Yep

P - Kern(4-6) - Yep

Returner - Reynaud(12-14) - Yep

Nice way to go about it. Your comment re: Britt made me laugh. Are you guys projected to start Hill next to Casey? I would think Martin would have a shot at it, but I don't exactly have a finger on the pulse of the Titans. Anyways, I think you pretty much nailed it from what I can tell. Only one I disagree on is Pollard. But that's kind of a wash for me, because I think Wilson should start and I would label him an above average starter.

LDE - Morgan(4-6) - Yep

Morgan in the 4-6 range? I like his potential, but I wouldn't put him that high.

Nice way to go about it. Your comment re: Britt made me laugh. Are you guys projected to start Hill next to Casey? I would think Martin would have a shot at it, but I don't exactly have a finger on the pulse of the Titans. Anyways, I think you pretty much nailed it from what I can tell. Only one I disagree on is Pollard. But that's kind of a wash for me, because I think Wilson should start and I would label him an above average starter.

Martin is more of a rotational player. Considering the contract we gave Hill, I can't expect anything less than starting. If he's not starting for any reason other than injury to start the year, it'd mean he's been a huge disappointment.

Pollard's coverage is shaky at times, but he's one of the best in-box safeties in the league. SHould allow Griffin to go back and just be a center fielder again and hopefully get rid of his suckage in run support. Out of the 16 starting strong safeties in the league, I think Pollard is above average. It's not exactly a strong generation for safeties in this league.

Morgan in the 4-6 range? I like his potential, but I wouldn't put him that high.

He was top 5 in the NFL in QB pressures last season and is solid in the run game. Considering the number of 4-3 LDEs in the league, I may have actually sold him a little short.

Martin is more of a rotational player. Considering the contract we gave Hill, I can't expect anything less than starting. If he's not starting for any reason other than injury to start the year, it'd mean he's been a huge disappointment.

Pollard's coverage is shaky at times, but he's one of the best in-box safeties in the league. SHould allow Griffin to go back and just be a center fielder again and hopefully get rid of his suckage in run support. Out of the 16 starting strong safeties in the league, I think Pollard is above average. It's not exactly a strong generation for safeties in this league.

I've heard that the Titans might incorporate more 3-4 looks. Perhaps we'll see Hill, Martin, and Casey on the field at the same time.

Fair point about the overall talent level at SS league wide. It is a little down.

I've heard that the Titans might incorporate more 3-4 looks. Perhaps we'll see Hill, Martin, and Casey on the field at the same time.

Fair point about the overall talent level at SS league wide. It is a little down.

They said the same thing in OTAs last year, never did come to be though.

With Gregg Williams here now, though, maybe it will.

Ayers' best asset may be his ability to pass rush, he's actually pretty good at it, so having him in a 3-4 isn't the worst idea. Also drafting Gooden out of Missouri adds more athleticism alongside Brown in the LB corp.

We're also putting Verner at free safety a lot so far and giving Campbell the reps at CB. Which makes some sense given zone coverage is by far his best asset, as his speed doesn't match up well with a lot of guys in man, and his football IQ is great so reading plays from FS would probably benefit him a lot more....plus it gets Michael Griffin off the field. :megusta:

The downside of him at FS is the lack of a slot corner. I was expecting, with the selection of Wreh-Wilson out of UConn, to move Verner inside, allow him to play closer to the line of scrimmage(like Finnegan was used by us in 2011) and use McCourty and Wreh-Wilson on the outside due to Wreh-Wilson's superb press skills...but Tommy Campbell is playing outside across from McCourty, and Sensabaugh is actually the first team nickel corner. Dunno what's happened to Wreh-Wilson.

All this shit could change 200 times before August rolls around though.

So having more talent around him causes ET to be underrated? Interesting take. The other side of that argument would be that Weddle's production has come despite not having reliable teammates around him and being by far the least targeted player in his secondary.

I try not to be a homer, and I don't think I am with my take on Weddle. FO and PFF agree that he was better than everyone not named Jarius Byrd in coverage last season (and the season prior for that matter). And of the people who are in the conversation with him coverage wise, none come close in terms of his ability to drop into the box and fill vs. the run or rush on a blitz. Taking all that together, I have no hesitation calling him the unrivaled best.

But I agree with the players on your list. It's straight up stupid that you guys added arguably the best NB in the league to your secondary (allowing that he plays at 2012 levels).

I would have included Michael Bennett on my list. One of the best LE's anywhere in 2012. And Zach Miller is good enough to make that list if given the opportunities. I really prefer the overall amount of talent on the Seahawks to the 49ers, truth be told.

Well when you think about it in terms of the position they play... FS is the safety net if the first and second lines of defense fail. On a subpar D, safeties are likely to see a lot more action. IMO, Weddle's numbers would go down some if he had Seattle or SF's defense. Maybe I'm just a homer, but either way Weddle and Thomas are two of the best safeties in the game.

Accidentally pulled a T-Jack and forgot about Zach Miller. Like Rice, he's very talented and one of the better TE's, but under utilized. I'm hoping we can get him involved more this year like he was in the Atlanta game... he went off.

• Upvote 1

So it is dudes who are just above average ? If so then

Joe Flacco

Ray Rice

Dennis Pitta

Marshall Yanda

Haloti Ngata

Lardarius Webb

Terrell Suggs

Elvis Dumervil

Justin Tucker

Sam Koch

Love Michael Bennett and I am pissed we didn't bring him back, but I don't think I'd put him up there yet. I'd like to see another year of how he played like last year. If he does it again though, then no doubt he should be on the list.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about him. He's going to be an integral part of the pass rush along with Avril to start the year with Irvin out and Clemons probably on the PUP (even though he's ahead of schedule, I doubt we risk him until he's 100%).

QB - Kaep

RB - Gore

FB - Miller

WR - Crabtree, Boldin

TE - Vernon Davis

OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Anthony Davis

DL - Justin Smith

LB - Willis, Bowman, Aldon Smith

CB - Rogers

S - nobody yet

K - Dawson

P - Lee

QB - Kaep

RB - Gore

FB - Miller

WR - Crabtree, Boldin

TE - Vernon Davis

OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Anthony Davis

DL - Justin Smith

LB - Willis, Bowman, Aldon Smith

CB - Rogers

S - nobody yet

K - Dawson

P - Lee

I don't think Brooks gets enough love. He's really, really good.

So it is dudes who are just above average ? If so then

Joe Flacco

Ray Rice

Dennis Pitta

Marshall Yanda

Haloti Ngata

Lardarius Webb

Terrell Suggs

Elvis Dumervil

Justin Tucker

Sam Koch

Torrey Smith? Or maybe Michael Huff?

Fair enough on Stewart, but I'd disagree on Griffin. I don't want to offend, so know this is just my humble opinion, but I think he's one of the worst starting safeties in the league. I've never seen someone miss tackles at such an alarming clip, and his coverage seems to be getting worse. If I was a Titans fan, I'd be hoping for Wilson and Pollard to start.

it seems like I'm the only one of this opinion, so I'll keep it brief, but we were asking Griffin to do a lot of things last year that he's not that good at to compensate for how bad our other safeties were, I don't think I'd rate him as one of the best free safeties in the league, but I'd definitely put him above average, he just needs good players around him

Well when you think about it in terms of the position they play... FS is the safety net if the first and second lines of defense fail. On a subpar D, safeties are likely to see a lot more action. IMO, Weddle's numbers would go down some if he had Seattle or SF's defense. Maybe I'm just a homer, but either way Weddle and Thomas are two of the best safeties in the game.

Accidentally pulled a T-Jack and forgot about Zach Miller. Like Rice, he's very talented and one of the better TE's, but under utilized. I'm hoping we can get him involved more this year like he was in the Atlanta game... he went off.

We can certainly agree on that.

Big Ben

Antonio Brown

Heath Miller

Marcus Gilbert

Maurkice Pouncey

Lawrence Timmons

LaMarr Woodley

Troy Polamalu

Ryan Clark

Ike Taylor

Will give this a shot for my Broncos:

QB Manning - Yes

RB Ball - TBD (no until proven otherwise)

TE Tamme - No

LT Clady - Yes

LG Beadles - Yes

C Walton - No

RG Vasquez - Yes

RT - Franklin - Yes

WR - D Thomas - Yes

WR - Decker - Yes

WR - Welker - Yes

LDE Wolfe - Yes

DT - Pot Roast - ehhh depends on the day.

DT - Vickerson - Average

RDE - Ayers - No (I think this year changes that to a yes though)

LB - Miller - Yes

LB - Woodyard - YEs

MLB - Irving - No (1st year starter)

LCB - Bailey - Yes

RCB - DRC - No

NCB - Harris - Yes

FS - Moore - Yes

SS - Adams - no

ST - Holliday - Yes

• Upvote 1

Will give this a shot for my Broncos:

QB Manning - Yes

RB Ball - TBD (no until proven otherwise)

TE Tamme - No

LT Clady - Yes

LG Beadles - Yes

C Walton - No

RG Vasquez - Yes

RT - Franklin - Yes

WR - D Thomas - Yes

WR - Decker - Yes

WR - Welker - Yes

LDE Wolfe - Yes

DT - Pot Roast - ehhh depends on the day.

DT - Vickerson - Average

RDE - Ayers - No (I think this year changes that to a yes though)

LB - Miller - Yes

LB - Woodyard - YEs

MLB - Irving - No (1st year starter)

LCB - Bailey - Yes

RCB - DRC - No

NCB - Harris - Yes

FS - Moore - Yes

SS - Adams - no

ST - Holliday - Yes

Nice! Gsam has arrived.

Pretty good list. I would disagree on Wolfe, Moore, and Woodyard. All three outplayed outside expectations last year and are improving, but to say they're better than average currently is a stretch for me.

What do you here about Julius Thomas? Is he going to push to start? Tamme and Dreessen are pretty ordinary.

Nice! Gsam has arrived.

Pretty good list. I would disagree on Wolfe, Moore, and Woodyard. All three outplayed outside expectations last year and are improving, but to say they're better than average currently is a stretch for me.

What do you here about Julius Thomas? Is he going to push to start? Tamme and Dreessen are pretty ordinary.

Wolfe was second in rookies last year in sacks. He was also very high in pressures. Hes assuredly better than your average DE. Same with Moore and Woodyard. PFF had woodyard way up there in metrics. Rahim mooore had a great year but nobody remembers that. They only remember Torrey smith catching the game winning TD over him.

I like Thomas, but the kid has to show he can play TE and stay healthy. I do think his skillset is better as a receiver than any of the 2 guys we currently have. HE is sub par as a blocker at this point however and thats a must if you want to be an elite TE.

Wolfe was second in rookies last year in sacks. He was also very high in pressures. Hes assuredly better than your average DE. Same with Moore and Woodyard. PFF had woodyard way up there in metrics. Rahim mooore had a great year but nobody remembers that. They only remember Torrey smith catching the game winning TD over him.

I like Thomas, but the kid has to show he can play TE and stay healthy. I do think his skillset is better as a receiver than any of the 2 guys we currently have. HE is sub par as a blocker at this point however and thats a must if you want to be an elite TE.

I'll take your word on it for Moore and Woodyard. I know they played well, but can't claim to have paid enough attention to know just how well.

I understand that Wolfe was 2nd in sacks among rookies, but I still don't think his overall performance at DE was better than average. And being average as a rookie is a feat- I'm sure he'll improve. But I would argue that his 2012 season was not worthy of this list. If you want to talk about PFF, this is from their rookie recap of Wolfe:

"Despite Wolfe’s six sacks, he graded at -24.5 as a pass rusher as he totaled only 25 total pressures on 530 pass rush attempts. Similar to Cameron Jordan with the New Orleans Saints, Wolfe may be miscast as a 4-3 defensive end as his pass rushing is sub-par compared to his peers"

I'll take your word on it for Moore and Woodyard. I know they played well, but can't claim to have paid enough attention to know just how well.

I understand that Wolfe was 2nd in sacks among rookies, but I still don't think his overall performance at DE was better than average. And being average as a rookie is a feat- I'm sure he'll improve. But I would argue that his 2012 season was not worthy of this list. If you want to talk about PFF, this is from their rookie recap of Wolfe:

"Despite Wolfe’s six sacks, he graded at -24.5 as a pass rusher as he totaled only 25 total pressures on 530 pass rush attempts. Similar to Cameron Jordan with the New Orleans Saints, Wolfe may be miscast as a 4-3 defensive end as his pass rushing is sub-par compared to his peers"

Yeah, They expect to use him as a DE early down as a run stuffer and move him to DT / UT on passing downs. He will most likely pair with Sly Williams on passing downs and give pot roast and vick a break.

-24.5 is a bad rating for sure. Seems odd though that the guy still managed 6 sacks. Something seems off. From what I recall in watching the games, He was more often used as a run stuffer than a pass rusher because we relied more on doom and von to generate pressure. Eh whatever.

Take a read of the article posted below. This excerpt to me kinda spells out how good his season was. He gets no love cause of the other stars like Miller, Doom and Bailey.

"When he finished with 114 tackles, 5½ sacks and three interceptions, he became just the 12th player in the league since sacks became an official statistic in 1982 to finish a season with at least 100 tackles, five sacks and three interceptions in the same year."

Read more: Wesley Woodyard's impressive 2012 Broncos season still worth a look - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23395993/wesley-woodyards-impressive-2012-broncos-season-still-worth#ixzz2WDR5l1xD

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Offensive Tackles - Solder and Vollmer is a terrific pair of tackles that do a great job of keeping the pressure off Brady

QB - Tom Brady still chugging along at an elite level

TEs - Gronk and Hernandez when healthy are the best pair of TEs in the game

Nose Tackle/Defensive Tackle - Vince Wilfork is one of the best in the game at taking up blockers and stuffing the run

ILBs - Mayo and Spikes and both sure tacklers, and Spikes especially is one of the hardest hitters in the game. I don't consider them elite but they're good.

You guys have 2 very under valued RBs as well. I read somewhere that Vereen led the NFL in YAC by a long margin. That guy is quite good. He is lost in the NE star power.

Cornerbacks: I'd say about average, I'd put Jason McCourty above league average and I'm a fan of Alterraun Verner, though I don't think he's spectacular, and beyond those two we don't have much, I'm expecting third round pick Blidi Wreh-Wilson to get a lot of time so it's hard to really call the unit well above average, but I don't think they're a bad group

I absolutely love Alterraun Verner. I think hes gonna be one of the best CBs in the league in a year or two. Don't sleep on that kid.

You guys have 2 very under valued RBs as well. I read somewhere that Vereen led the NFL in YAC by a long margin. That guy is quite good. He is lost in the NE star power.

:yep: Ridley is above average as well.

Yeah, They expect to use him as a DE early down as a run stuffer and move him to DT / UT on passing downs. He will most likely pair with Sly Williams on passing downs and give pot roast and vick a break.

-24.5 is a bad rating for sure. Seems odd though that the guy still managed 6 sacks. Something seems off. From what I recall in watching the games, He was more often used as a run stuffer than a pass rusher because we relied more on doom and von to generate pressure. Eh whatever.

The rating makes sense to me when you consider that, according to them, Wolfe only managed to pressure (hit/hurry/sack) the QB on 4.7% of pass rush attempts.

Take a read of the article posted below. This excerpt to me kinda spells out how good his season was. He gets no love cause of the other stars like Miller, Doom and Bailey.

"When he finished with 114 tackles, 5½ sacks and three interceptions, he became just the 12th player in the league since sacks became an official statistic in 1982 to finish a season with at least 100 tackles, five sacks and three interceptions in the same year."

Read more: Wesley Woodyard's impressive 2012 Broncos season still worth a look - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23395993/wesley-woodyards-impressive-2012-broncos-season-still-worth#ixzz2WDR5l1xD

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

It probably has a lot to do w/ being a no-namer coming into the season. Perception takes its time catching up to reality. Kind of bums me out, because he was a guy I tabbed last offseason as someone I wanted the Chargers to sign. We brought back DeMorrio Williams instead.