Glanvilles Grits

Why is Arian Foster so widely under-rated?

I was in a mock fantasy football draft the other day when we got on this discussion, and it turned to be pretty interesting. I've noticed this off season that outside of the Fantasy Football craze around Foster and his phenomenal consistency at the high level of play, he's just not very appreciated.

In the Fantasy Football world it's an easy #1 and #2, Peterson is #1 and Foster is #2. That's pretty much that. There's no arguments. Once we head outside Fantasy though, Foster immediately is berated and considered over rated. There are some who don't even want to put them in their top 7 backs in the league. Why?

2009: 54 Carries, 257 Yards (4.8YPC), 3 TD

2010: 327 Carries, 1616 Yards (4.9), 16 TD

2011: 278 Carries, 1224 Yards (4.4), 10 TD

2012: 351 Carries, 1424 Yards (4.1), 15 TD

That's pretty impressive for 4 years in the league, only 3 years starting. People say that he's the product of the zone blocking offense that's run in Houston, but I don't think so. I feel like if you put Foster on another team, you'd see closely the same production that you see now.

Foster has awesome vision and sees the entire field when he's running, it's like he knows what the defensive players in front of him are going to do before they even attempt to perform the action. He's got great cut moves, I've seen this guy fake out a ridiculous amount of defenders since becoming a starter, he makes them stand still when he cuts. He might not be the fastest back in the league, but the guy gets up to his stop speed as fast as any of the fastest running backs in the league. Once he fakes out the first or second guy, you know he's gone and going to be at full speed.

His offensive line is pretty good, but it's not the greatest line we've ever seen, so if he's not a top 5 back, then what is it? For a guy that people don't want to rate in the top 5 or 7, sometimes even 10, how is he producing? If it were all because of the Zone Blocking Scheme, I think that we would have seen a healthy McFadden up over 100 in every game he was healthy last season because McFadden has loads more intangibles than Foster does. So what is it, I'm honestly curious.

I'm not sure the guy is a Top 3 back on my list, but he's certainly #4.

If Curious, my top 3 is Peterson, Charles, Lynch - Foster right behind them.

People tend to kind of roll their eyes at zone blocking scheme RBs. They just remember Tatum Bell running for 1,000 yards. The Texans have been able to get production from about every RB they've thrown out there too.

Not to take anything away from Foster, he is clearly better than most ZBS backs, but it will hurt his public image.

Underrated? Are you kidding? He [hilariously] rates in most top 10 lists.

He's an average talent in a scheme that fits him like a glove. Far from elite. And very overrated.

One dimensional back that plays in a system that typically makes average backs look good.

I was a little shocked when the title said underrated...

I don't see or hear too many people saying that Foster is underrated. I hear more on the opposite end saying that he is overrated, which I agree to an extent....but for someone who went undrafted and went to a team in need of a back.. He's done a great job for the Texans. He might be overrated outside of the Texans, but trust and believe that the Houston organization is proud and confident of his abilities and talents, ZBS or not.

• Upvote 1

One dimensional in what way? We've all watched Foster run people over just as well as any other running backs in the top 10. If that's the only argument as to why you don't think Foster is one of the top running backs, it's a weak one. Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch - all one dimensional. Charles and Johnson pretty much have their speed and that's about it, Lynch has his power running.

Let's not forget that despite his down year in the passing game this past season, he's great in that aspect.

Also, most people have Charles in their top 3, right? I'm pretty sure that the Chiefs ran a zone blocking scheme last season, but Charles didn't all of a sudden have a boost in production. I'm not arguing that zone blocking doesn't help average backs, it certainly does. I don't believe however that it does so to the extent guys on here believe it does. This is not Warrick Dunn, Clinton Portis or Tatum Bell. None of those guys contained the burst or cutting ability that Foster has. Hell, Warrick Dunn would make me cringe sometimes in Atlanta. When we ran the zone blocking scheme there would be holes and times where he couldn't even get through it still. This isn't the same case.

Foster is not one dimensional, just because he doesn't break tackles all the time? Foster doesn't need to break tackles, he makes guys miss with his ridiculously hard cuts, that's his game. He's lowered his head just as much as anyone else in the league right now that's near the top of the list.

Edited by Rain Man

Arian Foster gets it done in the playoffs.

Postseason career: 4 games played, 105 carries for 505 yards. 4.8 a carry. 5 rushing touchdowns. 1 receiving touchdown. 1 Fumble.

Just mentioning it. I like guys who show up in the postseason.

• Upvote 1

I don't see or hear too many people saying that Foster is underrated. I hear more on the opposite end saying that he is overrated, which I agree to an extent....but for someone who went undrafted and went to a team in need of a back.. He's done a great job for the Texans. He might be overrated outside of the Texans, but trust and believe that the Houston organization is proud and confident of his abilities and talents, ZBS or not.

When you talk to Texans fans, hear media outlets/rankings etc, people say they over rate him. I'm trying to figure out why there are so many people in the NFL Message Board communities who feel he is over rated. Do they not watch the same games that I have watched? Do they not actually see how Foster runs the ball? Is it that all they are watching when they sit and watch Foster is the offensive line? That system in Houston is one of the best in the league, but it's not so good that it's going to take a guy who can't cut it in the NFL and be a 1500 yard rusher consistently. A good run blocking line shouldn't doom the fate of a running back when stacking him up against the best in the league.

Basically this. I can understand the consensus of people saying he's overrated because of the scheme but the production value of him being undrafted is phenomenal. You really can't ask for more. I try not to knock players too much because of scheme because performing at a high level in the NFL is difficult regardless of scheme especially on a consistent basis. At the end of the day, the production is what it is especially when defenses have a hard time impeding it.

Edited by dutchff7

I think he is about where he should be. I don't knock him much for being a ZBS back, but he was overrated (by myself as well) for a little while there. He's slid back down though recently.

Arian Foster gets it done in the playoffs.

Postseason career: 4 games played, 105 carries for 505 yards. 4.8 a carry. 5 rushing touchdowns. 1 receiving touchdown. 1 Fumble.

Just mentioning it. I like guys who show up in the postseason.

Pretty monstrous numbers. I like that 4.8 the most.

My view of Foster has actually evolved in the past couple of weeks/months thanks to arguing with butta and some digging around and some watching NFL Rewind. It's gotten to the point where I'd say he's underrated on this site.

He seemed a little "slower" (for a lack of better word) then usual this past season as he went down a lot easier then usual. But honestly at this point, AP and Charles are the only guys I'd take over him.

He's considered by many to be an elite back. Elite backs get more yardage than what their OL blocks for them either by breaking tackles, making people miss, or outrunning would be tacklers. Foster does none of those things with any kind of consistency. He reliably gets what's there- which is respectable. But he doesn't normally make tacklers miss or break tackles. So I would say he's an average to slightly above average talent in a perfect situation. So when he's called elite, I say he's being overrated.

• Downvote 1

Completely overrated because of the system do you want to know why? Orlandis Gary, mike Anderson, tatum bell, mike bell, Clinton Portis, Reuben droughns and selvin young are all guys that killed in the ZBS in Denver now throw in Roy helu, Alfred Morris, Ben Tate and Arian foster as ZBS success running backs. It's 75% system, all the running back has to do is find the hole in the offensive line. Any Denver fan who watched shannys last 10 years will tell you that it's really not hard to find a decent runningback in that scheme

Biggest reason that foster is overrated! That zone scheme even made Ron Dayne look good. They're are 1000-1500 yard rushers in that scheme which are the average ones, the tough thing is finding that next level back who can push you over the top and Foster is just another one of the average zone running backs

Edited by Crash

The zone scheme doesn't preclude a back from being one of the best in the league. It does, however, allow average talents to produce at a good rate. If Alfred Morris improves as a receiver and keeps producing the way that he has been, I'd be fine calling him a great running back- because he gets more yardage than what his line gives him. He breaks tackles. Foster doesn't- he gets what's there and little else.

I'm not arguing that zone blocking doesn't help average backs, it certainly does. I don't believe however that it does so to the extent guys on here believe it does. This is not Warrick Dunn, Clinton Portis or Tatum Bell. None of those guys contained the burst or cutting ability that Foster has. Hell, Warrick Dunn would make me cringe sometimes in Atlanta. When we ran the zone blocking scheme there would be holes and times where he couldn't even get through it still. This isn't the same case.

Clinton Portis had way more burst and cutting ability than Foster has. Portis is probably the most talented RB to ever be put in the zone blocking scheme.

Clinton Portis had way more burst and cutting ability than Foster has. Portis is probably the most talented RB to ever be put in the zone blocking scheme.

I guess you never heard of TD who crushes both Portis and Foster

Edited by Crash

My view of Foster has actually evolved in the past couple of weeks/months thanks to arguing with butta and some digging around and some watching NFL Rewind. It's gotten to the point where I'd say he's underrated on this site.

He seemed a little "slower" (for a lack of better word) then usual this past season as he went down a lot easier then usual. But honestly at this point, AP and Charles are the only guys I'd take over him.

I would easily take beast mode over foster without a second thought

Portis and Davis are both zone backs who I would consider great talents. Just so people know that I don't just write off backs from that scheme.

Portis and Davis are both zone backs who I would consider great talents. Just so people know that I don't just write off backs from that scheme.

I have a hard time with it nowadays because every great running back we had, we shipped off for draft picks and they never were as good if any good then when in Denver

I guess you never heard of TD who crushes both Portis and Foster

Yeah I know it's blasphemy to say there was a Bronco RB better than TD, and while TD was great for us, Portis was definitely more physically talented.

Yeah I know it's blasphemy to say there was a Bronco RB better than TD, and while TD was great for us, Portis was definitely more physically talented.

More physically talented doesn't matter at this point, TD was the better RB

More physically talented doesn't matter at this point, TD was the better RB

I never said he was better, just that he was more talented. Even then, there can be an argument that Portis was better.

Edited by SolomonGrundy

I have a hard time with it nowadays because every great running back we had, we shipped off for draft picks and they never were as good if any good then when in Denver

We can't know what Davis would have done elsewhere because his entire career was in Denver. But Portis was very good- if not quite as good- after he left for Washington.