Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

How many current HOFers are playing?

Don't have a full list right now, but I'll start with what QB's I think have a good shot/will be HOFers:

QB's

Peyton Manning (definite)

Tom Brady (definite)

Aaron Rodgers (as long as he stays healthy, definite)

Drew Brees (great chance)

Big Ben (decent shot)

Eli Manning (decent shot)

Lots of guys with potential (Luck, RG3, Wilson, Cam, etc), but I'm not even going to mention them because it's way too early.

Ed Reed- First ballot without a doubt. Probably the surest pick outside of QB

Larry Fitzgerald- WRs tend to get snubbed due to all the talent at that position, but Larry will get in.

Patrick Willis- The second coming of Ray Lewis. If he keeps it up for a few years, he will be sealed as well.

Adrian Peterson- Peterson not only has what it takes to get into the Hall of Fame, he has what it takes to be the greatest RB of all time. 2-3 seasons of great play will solidify him without a doubt (HoF wise).

Demarcus Ware- Best pure pass rusher in the league since he's entered it. Think he has the fastest sack pace under Reggie White. He will go down as a great.

Jared Allen- Very underrated at times and I believe he is the second best pass rusher of his era only behind Ware. His motor and heart is awesome. I would love to have a Jared Allen on my team.

Edited by dutchff7

Are there any other locks at RB for the HOF right now other than AP? I think guys like Ray Rice, Shady and Arian Foster have a chance, but they have a good ways to go.

Are there any other locks at RB for the HOF right now other than AP? I think guys like Ray Rice, Shady and Arian Foster have a chance, but they have a good ways to go.

Yeah, it's way to premature in their careers to add them to the discussion. I would say Steven Jackson or Frank Gore have way better claims than they do.

Larry wont get in. Too much of a cluster fuck for wide outs when it comes to HOF.

yeah, they're in the conversation if they continue their current production level for 3-4 years, but at this point it's way too early to call, the guys are just 25, 24, and 26 respectively, also worth noting is that at this point Michael Vick has more career rushing yards than any of the three, so you definitely can't call them sure HOFers at this point

Steven Jackson I think has the best shot of active RBs (aside from AP) he's the only back currently playing with 10k career rushing yards and he also has over 3k receiving yards, I don't know that he's got a great shot on his current resume, but if he can put in a solid couple seasons in ATL I think he'll definitely get strong consideration

here are some receivers that I think will get strong consideration:

Tony Gonzalez: if he's not first ballot it's an absolute crime, he's #7 all time in receiving yards, #2 in receptions, and # 6 in receiving TDs, #1 among TE in all three categories

Reggie Wayne: at first it looked like he was a Peyton Manning creation, but he's definitely proven himself to be an elite player independent of his QB and his longevity gives him an added bonus, he currently sits at #14 on the all time receiving yards list and #10 in receptions

Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson: I don't really care about the stats on this one, though FTR they're currently # 27, 33, and 91 on the all time receiving yards list and 82, 25, and 89 in receiving TDs respectively, these guys will get strong consideration because in this era of prolific passing they've established themselves as the undisputed top tier of WRs

Randy Moss: is he still going to be playing next season? I'm honestly not sure, either way he's gonna be in the Hall, he's # 3 all time in receiving yards, #2 in TDs, and #9 in receptions

• Upvote 1

although to answer your actual question, which simply asked for a number, there are 5 modern candidates inducted per year, so we can reasonably presume that on average 5 HOFers enter the league each year, I know the average NFL career is actually rather short, but among HOFers I'd guess it's probably somewhere around 13 years (the best players can last 15-20, but for some positions nobody lasts more than 10 or so, so I think 13 is a decent estimate for an average HOF career length) which would mean that there are currently probably about 65 future HOFers currently playing

50 is a safe guess.

Personally, I think Fitzgerald has a good chance at making it. Loyal to one team, no off the field issues (it does matter), very productive, GREAT reputation.

Gonzalez and Gates also come to mind at TE.

I'm probably going to get some crap for saying this, but I think Gonzalez is the only current TE who makes the HOF, I think when we look back on this era TEs will be lumped together with WRs and I just don't think any of them will measure up, Gonzalez has the numbers (ranks in my first post) and I think he'll be seen as the first in a new breed of TEs, so he'll be in, but I don't think any of the others will stack up well enough in the long term

you mention Gates, who probably has the best shot aside from Gonzo, but he's one of those guys who's been very good for a while, but I'm not sure he stayed above the excellent mark for long enough to get into the HOF, for comparison, Gates has had 8 seasons over 700 yards, which is very good, but Gonzalez has had 13, Gonzalez has had 9 seasons with over 900 yards with four over 1000, Gates has had 5 and 2 such seasons

when you look at total numbers, Gonzalez has 14,268 yards and 103 TDs on 1242 receptions, Gates has 8321 yards and 83 TDs on 632 receptions, I know what you're thinking now, Gonzo has played longer, of course he has better total numbers, but look at the per season average:

Gonzo: 891.75 yards, 6.4 TDs, 77.6 receptions

Gates: 832.1 yards, 8.3 TDs, 63.2 receptions

other than TDs Gates is pretty well behind Gonzo, and I have to cut Gonzo a little slack on TDs based on the QBs he had in KC, and keep in mind that Gonzo's been keeping that pace up for a longer period of time

and when you compare him to WRs Gates really gets lost: #73 in receiving yards, #50 in receptions, and #20 in TDs

I'd give Gates an outside shot if he keeps up his current production for another 4-5 years (which isn't a given when the guy is 32) at which point he'd be top 20 in receiving yards and receptions and top ten in TDs, he also might get some of the credit for the revolution we've seen in the way TEs have been used, which would help his candidacy, but I still think he's got an outside shot at best, again largely because I think we'll look back on modern TEs as very comparable to WRs

Edited by oochymp

I'm probably going to get some crap for saying this, but I think Gonzalez is the only current TE who makes the HOF,

No Jason Witten? :confused:

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think Fitzgerald has a good chance at making it. Loyal to one team, no off the field issues (it does matter), very productive, GREAT reputation.

Gonzo is in. Gates is out.

Randy Moss is a definite HOFer in my eyes. He was a bit of a loose screw at times and bordered on selfish, but he was probably the best WR of his generation. Spectacular talent without much in the way of a QB outside of the couple seasons with Brady. Jim Kelly is one of the biggest assholes I've ever met, and he wasn't half the QB that Moss is a WR. Kelly's in, so Moss should be a first ballot guy.

Fitz, I'm not so sure about. If he gets consideration, it will be based on class, talent and potential. We all know that he's great, but he's rarely ever had the chance to achieve anything due to the QB situation in Ari. He quietly goes about his business, but without ever really getting a shot at big moments it'll be hard to put him in unless he catches Jerry in a few stats. WR's getting in is usually all about timing and gawdy stats or championships. I guess when it's all said and done though, I think he'll get in. If his best ball is behind him though, it's gonna be a little bit of wait.

If C.J. keeps it up, he'll get in. He's already breaking records held by Jerry, and with a couple more of those under his belt, he's a shoe-in. The most freakishly gifted WR I've ever seen, he's utilizing his talent to make himself unstoppable.

There are plenty of no brainers at QB, such as Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, and Big Ben, probably Eli as well. He's a Manning, and he won more than his brother up to this point. I think those two things get him in. Same with Ben and his two rings. Plus, everyone loves the "hard-nosed" QB's, and Ben is as gutsy as anyone I've seen under center.

Ed Reed is in. Troy Polamalu is in. Jason Whitten SHOULD get in imo, but idk if he will. Ware and Allen should both be in. Joe Thomas will get in if he stays healthy. AP is well on his way.

Wish I could throw some current Chiefs in there, but if they don't start winning soon none of this group is getting in. I guess Charles is doing some historically impressive things, and Berry has the tools. We'll see what happens.

Aaron Hernandez = in for sure. lol-jk

No Jason Witten? :confused:

before looking at any of the numbers I'll say I think Witten is very close, but I think he's just outside, now I'll look at the stats and we'll see if my opinion changes:

Witten currently has 8948 yards and 44 TDs on 806 receptions, good enough for 55, 149, and 26 on the all time list (including WRs) a lot better than I expected except on TDs, which is weird because that's where TEs usually excel, can someone who's watched more Cowboys football than me help me out? does he do a lot of blocking in the redzone? anyway, I digest, his per season averages are: 894.8 yards, 4.4 TDs, and 80.6 receptions (I love analyzing players who've played ten seasons :p) and he has 9 seasons (out of ten) over 700 yards, 7 over 900 yards, and four over 1000, all very good numbers, if he keeps his pace up for another 4-5 years (he's 30 but has at least 900 yards in each of the last six seasons with four of those over 1000, so that's not unreasonable at all) then I actually think he's got a very good shot at the HOF, his TD numbers do leave a little bit to be desired, but if he's not getting the TDs because he's being used as a blocker at times (meaning he's more of an old school TE) then I think he can get a pass on that, I gotta be honest, I was actually surprised at how good his stat sheet is, I've just never taken the time to look at it, so I suppose there are two TEs currently playing who have at least a solid shot at the HOF

Gonzalez is a lock as is Brady, Peyton Manning. Champ Bailey is probably the only active CB I could see going at this point, unless I'm forgetting someone.

• Upvote 1

oochymp, can't disagree with you. Tony G is a first ballot HOFer in my eyes. Gates, I think will get in but probably not the first time around. I tend to think the committee is more kind towards TE but that may change now.

Obviously, I'm biased but I'd take Gates over Witten any day of the week. And I'm not sure how Witten would get in and Gates wouldn't?

Edited by BJORN

Gonzalez is a lock as is Brady, Peyton Manning. Champ Bailey is probably the only active CB I could see going at this point, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Charles Woodson? I mean, his fluctuating between safety and corner might be an argument against it (unless you were considering him as a safety in the first place), but he's just had too good a of a career.

How about Revis? Assuming he actually does return to form post-injury. Up to his injury no one argues that he was regarded as the most well-rounded corner of this generation.

And what do you think of Winfield? Too much of an outside shot? He doesn't stack up as well in the INT department, but he's racked up a decent number of tackles in his career.

Obviously, I'm biased but I'd take Gates over Witten any day of the week. And I'm not sure how Witten would get in and Gates wouldn't?

I actually would have agreed with you (though I would freely admit my anti-Dallas bias) but then I looked at their stats (both have played ten seasons):

Witten: 8948 yards and 44 TDs on 806 receptions

Gates: 8321 yards and 83 TDs on 632 receptions

Witten's TD numbers leave a bit to be desired, but other than that he's way above Gates, and for a decent look at where they're headed, here are their totals over the last six seasons:

Witten: 6110 yards and 30 TDs on 554 receptions

Gates: 4943 yards and 49 TDs on 377 receptions

between those two you've gotta take Witten hands down

Charles Woodson? I mean, his fluctuating between safety and corner might be an argument against it (unless you were considering him as a safety in the first place), but he's just had too good a of a career.

How about Revis? Assuming he actually does return to form post-injury. Up to his injury no one argues that he was regarded as the most well-rounded corner of this generation.

And what do you think of Winfield? Too much of an outside shot? He doesn't stack up as well in the INT department, but he's racked up a decent number of tackles in his career.

I wasn't gonna include Revis because of homerism and he still needs to show more to be in the HOF. Right now he is just Hall of Good, same goes for Winfield. I had forgot about Woodson, I think he belongs there.

before looking at any of the numbers I'll say I think Witten is very close, but I think he's just outside, now I'll look at the stats and we'll see if my opinion changes:

Witten currently has 8948 yards and 44 TDs on 806 receptions, good enough for 55, 149, and 26 on the all time list (including WRs) a lot better than I expected except on TDs, which is weird because that's where TEs usually excel, can someone who's watched more Cowboys football than me help me out? does he do a lot of blocking in the redzone? anyway, I digest, his per season averages are: 894.8 yards, 4.4 TDs, and 80.6 receptions (I love analyzing players who've played ten seasons :p) and he has 9 seasons (out of ten) over 700 yards, 7 over 900 yards, and four over 1000, all very good numbers, if he keeps his pace up for another 4-5 years (he's 30 but has at least 900 yards in each of the last six seasons with four of those over 1000, so that's not unreasonable at all) then I actually think he's got a very good shot at the HOF, his TD numbers do leave a little bit to be desired, but if he's not getting the TDs because he's being used as a blocker at times (meaning he's more of an old school TE) then I think he can get a pass on that, I gotta be honest, I was actually surprised at how good his stat sheet is, I've just never taken the time to look at it, so I suppose there are two TEs currently playing who have at least a solid shot at the HOF

When the Hall of Fame committee is evaluating Jason Wittens career, they won't be comparing him to WR stats. There's different qualifications for each position. As of right now, Jason Witten is 3rd all time in receptions 806(will beat Ozzie Newsome in a few games who is currently 2nd, 815) 3rd all time in receiving 8948 yards, and 13th all time in TDs with 44. His touchdowns are lower than some of the other greats. But with Hall of Fame inductions, it has shown us that it is deeper than stats alone(and his stats are great anyway). I think a part of it the impact that player had at that position and in the game. They won't keep Witten out just because his TDs are slightly lower than the rest. He has been a phenomenal TE and when they put on the tape, it shows that he does embody what a TE is and produced at a high level his entire career. Arguably, he's already shaped to be a top 5 TE of all time and hasn't retired yet or shown signs of slowing down. Jason Witten is a lock for Canton.

Charles Woodson

When the Hall of Fame committee is evaluating Jason Wittens career, they won't be comparing him to WR stats. There's different qualifications for each position. As of right now, Jason Witten is 3rd all time in receptions 806(will beat Ozzie Newsome in a few games who is currently 2nd, 815) 3rd all time in receiving 8948 yards, and 13th all time in TDs with 44. His touchdowns are lower than some of the other greats. But with Hall of Fame inductions, it has shown us that it is deeper than stats alone(and his stats are great anyway). I think a part of it the impact that player had at that position and in the game. They won't keep Witten out just because his TDs are slightly lower than the rest. He has been a phenomenal TE and when they put on the tape, it shows that he does embody what a TE is and produced at a high level his entire career. Arguably, he's already shaped to be a top 5 TE of all time and hasn't retired yet or shown signs of slowing down. Jason Witten is a lock for Canton.

I think the way TEs are used in today's game is more similar to a WR. Three of the top four TEs in receiving yards are current players (Gonzalez, Witten, and Gates) 10 of the best 20 seasons all time by a TE (in total receiving yards) and 26 of the best 50 have occurred since the year 2000, all of the top five season reception totals for TEs have been since 2004, as have 8 of the top 10 and 13 of the top 20, so I think they'll start grouping TEs in with WRs when it comes to HOF consideration

[/size]

I think the way TEs are used in today's game is more similar to a WR. Three of the top four TEs in receiving yards are current players (Gonzalez, Witten, and Gates) 10 of the best 20 seasons all time by a TE (in total receiving yards) and 26 of the best 50 have occurred since the year 2000, all of the top five season reception totals for TEs have been since 2004, as have 8 of the top 10 and 13 of the top 20, so I think they'll start grouping TEs in with WRs when it comes to HOF consideration

The responsibilities of a TE and WR are still vastly different. Just because TEs are evolving, they won't stack up their careers next to WRs to make their decision.

No one has mentioned Steve Smith so far. What do you guys think his chances are of getting in?

Stats:

11 seasons, (2006 he only played the one game), 11,452 yards, 772 receptions, 63 TDs.

Oh and this little tidbit: In 2011 Steve Smith was named by Jerry Rice the best receiver in the game.

Steve Smith also holds the triple crown. Leading the league in cacthes yards and tds one year. Pretty sure it was 07

No one has mentioned Steve Smith so far. What do you guys think his chances are of getting in?

Stats:

11 seasons, (2006 he only played the one game), 11,452 yards, 772 receptions, 63 TDs.

Oh and this little tidbit: In 2011 Steve Smith was named by Jerry Rice the best receiver in the game.

I think Smith has a very good case, but he's facing the backlog of WRs that has already been mentioned, but if he maintains his current pace for another 2-3 years, and there's no reason to think he won't, he'll have numbers that you just can't keep out of the HOF, he's already #23 in receiving yards, #27 in receptions, and #55 in TDs