Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

How many games do the Panthers win in 2013?

17 members have voted

1. 1. How many games do the Panthers win in 2013?

I'm going to say 8 for the Panthers. They have a solid team, but unfortunately for them, they are stuck in one of the hardest divisions in the NFL and I think their weak secondary is really going to hurt them in a pass heavy NFC South.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

I'm going to say 8 for the Panthers. They have a solid team, but unfortunately for them, they are stuck in one of the hardest divisions in the NFL and I think their weak secondary is really going to hurt them in a pass heavy NFC South.

I think that we'll win at least 10 games this year, although I do think that our secondary is a weakness but I believe that our coaching staff will overcome it, much like they did at the end of last season.

I believe that the Panthers will have a good season this year and finish with a 10-6 record. But objectively a lot of things need to go right for that to happen:

1. Start well

This might seem obvious but last season 5 of our 7 wins came in the last six games. Now sure, to qualify for the play offs you need to end the season well, and winning 5 out of 6 is a great way to do that. But when you go 2-8 through the first ten games, then the likelihood of a play off spot is slim to none. So it might seem obvious, but if this team starts the season well and plays to a high level throughout the season, then winning 10 games is possible.

We weren't far away from being a winning team last season. We lost two games by less than a field goal (Week 4 @Falcons, 28-30; Week 8 @Bears, 22-23), and five games by less than a touchdown (Week 1 @Buccaneers, 10-16; Week 5 Seahawks, 12-16; Week 7 Cowboys, 14-19; Week 11 Buccaneers, 21-27 (OT); Week 13 @Chiefs, 21-27). Some of those games were winnable, and some of them we threw away. With more experience, I think this team could have won a few of those games. Three extra wins could have got us into the play offs with a 10-6 record.

For me, when this team gets on a run it will be hard to stop. Hopefully this year we start well and play well throughout the season.

2. Cam takes a step forwards

Again another obvious statement. Cam's stats were down last season on his rookie year, and some maturity questions arose. He made some questionable decisions and throws at pivotal moments, and while 7 of our 9 defeats were close, we did fail to close out games. That being said, while he might not have been amazing for the first ten games, he was amazing in the last six. So if he can perform at a high level from the start, and continue to perform consistently throughout the season, then he will have taken a big step forward to cementing himself firmly as this team's franchise QB - and hopefully in doing this he will lead us to not only a winning record, but back to the play offs.

Now I shouldn't be too hard on Cam. After all in his first season threw for over 4,000 yards, threw 21 TDs, and rushed for 706 yards and 14 TDs. He won rookie of the year, and broke a number of NFL records along the way. And even last season we threw for almost 3,900 yards, 19 TDs, and rushed for a team high 741 yards and 8 TDs. So as it stands he's thrown for almost 8,000 yards, thrown 40 TDs to 29 INTs, with a QB rating of 85.3; and rushed for over 1,400 yards and 22 TDs. So considering he came to us after a 1-15 season, he has done a very good job in becoming a very good NFL QB that has helped us to 6-10 and 7-9 in his first two seasons. A play off campaign would have been great, but they will come.

3. Running backs return to form

Our team's coaching staff don't want Cam Newton to lead this team in rushing yards. It is great to see him on a dazzling run, but it is too dangerous to make him the focal point of the running game. Gettleman (GM) has already said that he foresees Cam becoming more of a pocket passer, and while I don't think they will ever take away his running game entirely, I think we will expect more passing or handing the ball to the backs next season and less Cam Newton runs. And I think this is the right decision.

As a unit we have DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and Mike Tolbert. D-Will (2008, 1,515 yards and 18 TDs; and 2009, 1,117 yards and 7 TDs - pro bowl appearance) and Stewart (2009, 1,113 yards and 10 TDs) have both proven in the past that they can be 1,000 yard plus backs. We need at least one of them to return to form; but if both guys can put up a thousand yards a piece, then that is even better. Hopefully our new offensive coordinator, and tweaked play book, can revitalize our running game. If D-Will and Stewart take brunt of the carries, and Tolbert and Cam bring their scoring and game changing threats here and there, this team could be a big threat.

4. Defense plays to potential

Last season our defense played pretty well. Johnson and Hardy became one of the best defensive end combinations in the league. Now we have added Star Lotulelei and Kawaan Short. It is likely Star will partner Edwards, with Short coming in for rotation. But that defensive line has a ton of potential. Then you factor in our line backing core of Thomas Davis, Luke Kuechly and Jon Beason and they are a formidable line if they can all stay healthy. Our secondary is the worrisome, but if our D-Line and linebackers step up and perform to a high level, then we'll cause a mountain of problems for the opposition's offense.

I'll leave it at four. I could go on, but my point in closing is that while this team does have potential to have a winning season, a lot of things need to go right. Last season we were inconsistent, and our overall game didn't really click until the last six games of the season. Obviously the positive of last season is that we lost seven close games by less than a touchdown, and our 7-9 could quite easily have been at least 9-7 if not significantly better with more quality, consistency and experience. This year we have more quality and more experience, so hopefully that will turn into consistent high level performances. If that happens, we'll win 10 games, and it wouldn't surprise me if we qualified for the play offs despite our tough division and schedule.

One final note for trivia purposes. While the Falcons might be fancied to win the division again, no team has ever won the NFC South in consecutive seasons, not even the Super Bowl winning Buccaneers and Saints could comeback the following year and win the division. So I don't think next year's division title is sign, sealed, and delivered for the Falcons. The Saints with Payton could bounce back, and the Buccaneers and Panthers have the potential to have break out seasons as well. It will be a pleasure to watch the NFC South this year! :)

• Upvote 2

9 games would be the ceiling for me. Everyone in the division has gotten better, tough schedule... Even if Cam takes another step forward, there are still question marks for his weapons, and some question marks on the outside of the defense.

I'm taking the Panthers to sneak into the playoffs this year, so 10 wins.

Teams they should beat:

Bills

Cardinals

Vikings

Bucs at least once

Jets

Another division rival at least once

Teams on their level

Rams

Dolphins

Giants

Saints

These are probably losses

Seahawks

49ers

Patriots

Falcons

So 11 wins is the optimum, so 10 is still pretty optimistic.

Panthers can take anyone in the division on any given Sunday. That's the NFC South. They were a hail mary away from sweeping Atlanta last year.

Also the Pats are coming to Carolina and while yes, it's still Brady, I don't see that as a probable loss. The Pats have lost a lot of weapons. I still see them winning their division, because let's face it, who's in there, but the Panthers can definitely beat them in Charlotte.

The NFC South is so unpredictable because of how close almost every game is played. I would say the Panthers could win 5 games, but could also easily see them winning 11. Its gonna come down to if the run game progress gets back to the level its capable of.

The Panthers will be interesting to say this least this season. I think they will surprise a lot of teams this year. This past season, they asked Cam Newton to do basically everything. He was the QB, the leading rusher in yards, and the leading rusher in TDs; not to mention he play calling was horrendous. But this is why I choose Cam over RG3 and Wilson because he was asked to do so much more than they did and he still produced at a high level. Down the stretch though, the team played better football on both sides of the ball. If you look closely at their season last year, the Panthers lost 7 of their games by a TD or less. That goes to show that they were in a lot of games; they just struggled in closing them.

I wish they would have given Cam an offensive weapon in the draft like a WR or TE, but I still like the picks for their defensive line. They already have two good defensive ends with Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy. Star and Short should beefen up that line. Then you look at their linebacker core. Luke Kuechly is a rising star in this league and I think he will continue to build on his rookie success. I really like that kid. He's a beast. Then you have Jon Beason who everyone seemed to forget about since his injury. He was a top linebacker as well. I think he will do good at the WLB position. Then the Panthers have Thomas Davis is also a good linebacker at the RLB. That's a pretty stacked front 7. I don't like anointing paper teams before I see them perform, but I do believe their front 7 will be very stout and tough to go against. Granted they have a shaky secondary, but it all starts in the trenches and if you can get pressure, the back end doesn't have to cover for too long. As to the other way around, regardless of how elite your secondary can be, no one can cover forever if there is no QB pressure.

But yeah, it will be interesting to watch the Panthers this season. I'm don't quite see them taking the division but I think they will be competitive and definitely play spoiler to some good teams.

This is one of the most difficult divisions to predict how any of the teams will do. Three teams went 7-9 under different circumstances and those circumstances have changed. Saints no Sean Payton, Panthers stupid playing and stubborness to leave read option, and the Bucs horrible pass defense which should be way better. Ofcourse there were deeper problems, but I think those situations got much better. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Panthers have any amount of success because they do have the talent; I just have to see it all come together and fall in place. For now, I see them winning 9 games. If they win more, wouldn't be surprised.

Possibility to win 10. Realistically 8. I view them as the fourth team on the division. Saints, Falcons are the noticeable top dogs, the Bucs have made ridiculous gains and key additions. If Freeman can be consistent like he was weeks 7 to 11( I believe) they are scary.

I'm not sold on the Panthers run game outside of Newton, and I'm also not sold on their defense outside of Their defensive ends. Cam Newton and Steve Smith can't carry the team on their backs all year.

The only surety is that every team in the south can beat each other. That's what's great about our division, so who knows the results.

The Panthers finished somewhere in the top 12 on both sides of the ball. The just gotta start better.

I think they'll get anywhere between 9 to 10 wins.

What makes the Saints contenders again?

Changing schemes on D after a historically bad season isn't going to help, especially considering they don't have the personnel for a 34.

They'll be middle of the pack again this year, IMO.

I see the Panthers fighting for a WC spot with a winning season.

Changing schemes on D after a historically bad season isn't going to help, especially considering they don't have the personnel for a 34.

After having a historically bad season, it really can't be much worse. I think people are underestimating Sean Payton coming back. Yes his an offensive minded coach but not having your Head Coach on your team takes away from entire team; not just a single unit. I think Payton being back will give the team resolve. Even if their defense is slightly better than last year, that's a huge improvement. Brees carried his team to 7-9 having the worst defense in NFL history and not having his Head Coach. That's pretty dam impressive. Their record should be way lower then that.

The Saints will always be contenders so long as they have Drew Brees.

The Saints will always be contenders so long as they have Drew Brees.

Basically this.

A little more in depth though, that defense was terrible. What I don't think people realize though is how much Spagnuolo was misusing the players they have on defense. The players quit on the guy, and he quit on them shortly after. Sean Payton returning is a huge deal. I think the results you see out of the defense will be 100% different from last year, especially with the switch to 34. It just makes sense, their personnel is naturally fit for a 34, and with Payton in house, the corners will be able to play to their strengths. Spags was basically game planning the way he wanted as opposed to catering to the players and it wasn't working to their advantage.

I'm taking the Panthers to sneak into the playoffs this year, so 10 wins.

Teams they should beat:

Bills

Cardinals

Vikings

Bucs at least once

Jets

Another division rival at least once

Teams on their level

Rams

Dolphins

Giants

Saints

These are probably losses

Seahawks

49ers

Patriots

Falcons

So 11 wins is the optimum, so 10 is still pretty optimistic.

The Panthers and the Bucs are always the two teams that give the Falcons problems. I wouldn't write in wins for the Falcons against the Panthers. They could honestly sweep us.

I picked 10 wins. Tough schedule, but I'm high on Carolina this year. Cam ended 2012 on a tear, and there's a solid chance that carries over. And they have a sneaky amount of good to elite players. Gross, Kalil, Olsen, Stewart, Smith, Hardy, Johnson, Kuechly, Beason, and- I'm guessing- Lotulelei. It would help if they landed Mikell, who is a clear upgrade at safety.

Bottom line- great QB play and great pass rush equal plenty of wins.

• Upvote 1

Possibility to win 10. Realistically 8. I view them as the fourth team on the division. Saints, Falcons are the noticeable top dogs, the Bucs have made ridiculous gains and key additions. If Freeman can be consistent like he was weeks 7 to 11( I believe) they are scary.

I'm not sold on the Panthers run game outside of Newton, and I'm also not sold on their defense outside of Their defensive ends. Cam Newton and Steve Smith can't carry the team on their backs all year.

The only surety is that every team in the south can beat each other. That's what's great about our division, so who knows the results.

hahahahahahahaha Spoken like a true Falcons fan... wow 4th huh? Noticable Top Dogs? You were a boneheaded play from getting swept by the Panthers (And game two was even close) that isn't clearly top dog and we swept N.O. too another top dog question mark.

10 is highly achievable. The defense has made some great strides and though the names aren't recognizable the secondary is going to be greatly improved. Not only did they address DT.. we also added a solid rotation there with Star, Short, Edwards and Cole (who appears to be back to his 5 yr 21 million dollar deal he had with Seattle) Linebacker is as solid as they come and the back four are going to make plays.

Offensively Carolina can put up 20-30 points per game and that will be all they need.

Schedule is brutal but we all play nearly the same teams so all in all we can play with anyone.

Only concern for me is getting a quick start. For whatever reason we seem to stumble out the gate and lose a game or two we should have won. A slow start doesn't help when N.O. or your beloved Falcons start with a couple of wins. Puts anyone behind the eight ball to catch up.

Just don't be surprised when this defense is top dawg. Cause it will be.

Edited by DavethePanther
  • Downvote 1

Right. So you're going to enter the season with an unhealthy Stewart and rely on Williams who looked horrible last year in the running game? NFCsouth teams always are toss up games. It comes down to how the Panthers play top teams outside the division. Just like every other team in the South. I just think the Ither three teams are clearly better at this point and if you can't see that then oh well. Cam Newton and Steve smith are the Panthers.

Then again, I could just be biased because I hate every team in the division. The panthers worry me on a matchup basis, just not on a division title chase basis. Maybe that's where you're misunderstanding me because I surely never said they couldn't beat the Falcons, Saints or Bucs.

hahahahahahahaha Spoken like a true Falcons fan... wow 4th huh? Noticable Top Dogs? You were a boneheaded play from getting swept by the Panthers (And game two was even close) that isn't clearly top dog and we swept N.O. too another top dog question mark.

10 is highly achievable. The defense has made some great strides and though the names aren't recognizable the secondary is going to be greatly improved. Not only did they address DT.. we also added a solid rotation there with Star, Short, Edwards and Cole (who appears to be back to his 5 yr 21 million dollar deal he had with Seattle) Linebacker is as solid as they come and the back four are going to make plays.

Offensively Carolina can put up 20-30 points per game and that will be all they need.

Schedule is brutal but we all play nearly the same teams so all in all we can play with anyone.

Only concern for me is getting a quick start. For whatever reason we seem to stumble out the gate and lose a game or two we should have won. A slow start doesn't help when N.O. or your beloved Falcons start with a couple of wins. Puts anyone behind the eight ball to catch up.

Just don't be surprised when this defense is top dawg. Cause it will be.

I'm higher on the Panthers than most and probably more down on the Falcons than most too, but I don't see what's so strange about someone saying Atlanta comes in as the obvious "top dog." They've gone to the playoffs three years running and have a combined 36-12 record over that span. And last year they had the best record by a wide margin and were the only team in the NFCS to go to the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

Anyone who doesn't consider the Falcons the 'top dog' of the division is being a homer or unrealistic. The Falcons have been one of the best teams in the NFL over the past 3 years, winning the division in 2 of those 3 years, and they aren't much different of a team now than they were last year.

Anyone who doesn't consider the Falcons the 'top dog' of the division is being a homer or unrealistic. The Falcons have been one of the best teams in the NFL over the past 3 years, winning the division in 2 of those 3 years, and they aren't much different of a team now than they were last year.

At least I'm not the only one who believes this. I didn't really think it was that far of a stretch so I'm glad someone has the same idea as me about it.

It's not like I am sitting and saying the Panthers are the worst team in the NFL. But they certainly have the most ground to make up in the division, and they have a lot of guys who have talent that need to step up and play to their ability. They were under achievers last year.