Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Top Ten Pass Rushers

I'm separating 4-3 DE's and 3-4 OLB's into two lists. Categorizing players into one list or the other based on what scheme they'll be in this coming year. As always, factoring in projection along with past performance.

4-3 Defensive Ends:

1. DeMarcus Ware, :Cowboys: Ware wasn't quite the pass rushing force that Cameron Wake was a year ago, but he's also a weakside rusher facing off against left tackles on every snap. And his work in the running game is better, IMO. So for those reasons, he wins out as my top 4-3 DE. I highly doubt the schematic shift will negatively affect him.

2. Cameron Wake, :dolphins: While I give Ware a slight edge due to Wake being marginally worse in run defense and playing the strong side- I have paramount respect for what Wake is as a pass rusher. If this were only about getting after the QB, he would be #1. He just abuses right tackles with his excellent get-off and relentless style.

3. Charles Johnson, :panthers: Another guy who terrorizes RT's- Johnson is one of the most proficient pass rushers around and a pretty stout run defender. He exemplifies the rare case in which a young, ascending player cashes in big time and yet continues to imrpove. I'm a big fan of his.

4. Jason Pierre-Paul, :Giants: Based purely off 2012, this is admittedly too high. But I firmly believe that a return to the strong side will help JPP reclaim dominance. And what I really love about his game is that he is actually a better run defender than he is a pass rusher- and that's saying something.

5. Greg Hardy, :panthers: Hardy has gotten better every year, and looks poised to make his name as one of the best in the league. Admittedly, this is one of my projection rankings. But he was a force rushing the passer against LT's and there's no reason to think he won't be even better in 2013 with more help at DT.

6. Jared Allen, :Vikings: Allen has always been something of a pure pass rusher (lackluster run D), and that hurts him in my eyes. That said, he's still a very effective RE who has to get his work done against left tackles. Very athletic and very high motor- two traits I love seeing in tandem.

7. Chris Long, :Rams: Long isn't a stellar run defender, but he's a huge producer of negative plays and for that I tip my cap to him. He seems to go unnoticed much of the time in St. Louis, but he's quietly gone about his work and has become one of the more consistent sack artists you'll find anywhere.

8. Julius Peppers, :Bears: Peppers is coming off a down year (by his standards), and his best play is likely behind him. That said, he's become a dominant run defender since arriving in Chicago and still gives QB's problems. One thing I have to respect about Peppers is that he never gets any freebies in the Bears' defensive scheme- he has to go through 1-2 blockers for everything he gets.

9. Derrick Morgan, :Titans: If Morgan continues to rack up pressure the way he did in 2012, the sacks will come. But anyone who watched him play last year will know that his numbers were oddly low for the amount of time he spent around the opposing signal caller. And his run defense is quite good as well.

10. Carlos Dunlap, :Bengals: I had a really hard time slotting my last DE, but I landed on Dunlap because, like Morgan, I thought he was a better pass rusher last year than his 6 sacks would indicate. He was also very tough to run against and was responsible for 4 FF and 1 INT. I think he'll end up being the better of the two Cincy DE's when it's all said and done.

Honorable Mentions:

-Robert Quinn, St. Lous

-Michael Johnson, Cincinnati

3-4 Rush Linebackers

1. Von Miller, :Broncos: While he technically plays in a base 4-3, Miller functions as a rush linebacker so I'm including him. In addition to being the best outside rusher in football last year, Miller has turned into a superb run defender and capable coverage man. Sucks.

2. Clay Matthews, :Packers: Matthews is a complete player, capable of doing whatever the Packers ask of him. And he's also been tasked with shouldering the lion's share of the pass rush responsibilities. He does so quite well, being extremely impressive around the corner. And a move to the weak side didn't phase him in the least.

3. Terrell Suggs, :Ravens: The last time I saw Suggs healthy, he was still one of the best all around pass rushers in the league. Capable of winning matchups against left tackles, as well as setting the edge in the running game, he is one of the best defenders anywhere. I'm betting he comes back as good as ever for at least one more season.

4. Aldon Smith, :49ers: Aldon was somewhat exposed in the absence of Justin Smith, which is why he's #4 despite the sexy statistics. That said, he's still an athletic phenom who continues to improve. And while it's fair to say Justin helps him, it goes to far to argue that he has nothing to do with his superb production. I especially like his work inside on stunts and loops.

5. Justin Houston, :Chiefs: Houston was criminally underused as a pass rusher in 2012. I can't think that will be the case again in 2013. But when he was allowed to rush last year, he was extremely efficient. And he's not a one trick pony either, being capable in run defense and in coverage.

6. Brandon Graham, :Eagles: Projection pick here- I've been a big fan of Graham's since his days at Michigan. And he was one of the best pass rushers in the league during the 2nd half of last year when he was finally given his chance. I think he'll transition to linebacker just fine and could turn into a real force for Philly.

7. Lamarr Woodley, :Steelers: Woodley had a down season, but at 28 I fully expect him to come back better in 2013. And when he's right, few players anywhere are as versatile as he is. Rare is the rush linebacker who can shut down rushes to his side, beat offensive tackles for sacks, and cover tight ends and running backs down the field. The only reason he's at #7 is because of his lackluster effort in 2012.

8. Brian Orakpo, :Redskins: While Orakpo hasn't been able to top his rookie year in terms of pure pass rushing, he's become a very well-rounded player and could have a big comeback campaign for Washington this season. Even if he stays around ~9 sacks, his work in the running game coupled with that kind of production makes him a very good player.

9. Elvis Dumervil, :Ravens: The last time that Dum played linebacker in a 3-4, he came away with 17 sacks. Now he's back in a similar scheme, and that will help alleviate his issues in run defense and with disengaging from offensive tackles. Starting each play with a little extra space between himself and the blocker will benefit him quite a bit. Great pickup for Baltimore.

10. Tamba Hali, :Chiefs: I have a feeling that Hali's 2012 season is going to be closer to the norm for him at this point in his career. But even at that, he's a persistent rusher who can get on a roll and give LT's some serious issues. Seems to be a case where by the time he's actually granted the respect that his play once deserved, he'll be past the point of playing up to that level.

Honorable Mentions:

-Dwight Freeney, San Diego

-Ahmad Brooks, San Francisco

-Ryan Kerrigan, Washington

Surely you should give some consideration to defensive tackles i/e JJ Watt and Geno Atkins?

Surely you should give some consideration to defensive tackles i/e JJ Watt and Geno Atkins?

In his defense he did indicate DE and Rush LB :troll:

In his defense he did indicate DE and Rush LB :troll:

Let alone the fact that Watt is actually a 3/4 DE.../facepalm sorry lol

Let alone the fact that Watt is actually a 3/4 DE.../facepalm sorry lol

An easy thing to forget when you look at his numbers.

I think 3-4 DE's and 4-3 DT's should be ranked together. You could even split it out between 3-4 linemen and 4-3 DT's if you wanted to be really thorough. But I wanted to look at the outside pass rushers in this thread.

Wow. 2 Panthers in the top-5? I sure hope that projection turns out to be accurate.

Wow. 2 Panthers in the top-5? I sure hope that projection turns out to be accurate.

Johnson deserves to be there on merit. I put in there that Hardy was a projection because I figured it would be scrutinized, but the more I look at him the more I feel he deserves to be there on what he did last season. 13 sacks is impressive, he rated #5 on PFF's pass rush productivity scale (#1 among weakside rushers), and Advanced NFL Stats credited him with 20 QB hits (beyond the sacks) and 14 TFL. Most 4-3 players that were in that kind of range with Hardy were LE's who spent their time blowing by slower footed right tackles. Hardy took 86% of his pass rush snaps at RE, going up against the left tackle. I think the Panthers will have the best pass rushing tandem in the league in 2013.

Johnson deserves to be there on merit. I put in there that Hardy was a projection because I figured it would be scrutinized, but the more I look at him the more I feel he deserves to be there on what he did last season. 13 sacks is impressive, he rated #5 on PFF's pass rush productivity scale (#1 among weakside rushers), and Advanced NFL Stats credited him with 20 QB hits (beyond the sacks) and 14 TFL. Most 4-3 players that were in that kind of range with Hardy were LE's who spent their time blowing by slower footed right tackles. Hardy took 86% of his pass rush snaps at RE, going up against the left tackle. I think the Panthers will have the best pass rushing tandem in the league in 2013.

I share your sentiments in regards to the Panthers defensive line / pass rushers. I'll construct my list shortly.

I have Chris Long above Greg Hardy. Definitely one of the most underrated players. Michael Johnson,too.

I have Chris Long above Greg Hardy. Definitely one of the most underrated players. Michael Johnson,too.

That's fine. But I thought Long was a little less disciplined in his run defense than Hardy. And their number stack up like this:

Hardy: 62 tackles, 13 sacks, 20 QB hits, 2 passes batted, 2 FF, and 14 TFL in 14 games lined up 83% of the time against left tackles.

Long: 33 tackles, 12 sacks, 19 QB hits, 0 passes batted, 0 FF, and 15 TFL in 15 games lined up 99% of the time against right tackles.

That kind of illustrates why I ranked Hardy above Long.

Hardy had a better 2012 season than Long,no doubt,but if we're ranking them by their consistency,Long should be ranked higher. If your list is "what have you done for me lately" then I'm ok with it.

Chris Clemmons disturbs the peace :yep:

• Upvote 1

Chris Clemmons disturbs the peace :yep:

Hard to project a guy to be one of the 10 best this season when I don't know when he'll be healthy enough to play effectively. Otherwise he'd be deserving.

Hardy had a better 2012 season than Long,no doubt,but if we're ranking them by their consistency,Long should be ranked higher. If your list is "what have you done for me lately" then I'm ok with it.

I see. My list is mostly about how I think they'll stack out this coming year.

I guess I'm just still confused as to why Geno Atkins and JJ Watt were left off the list. JJ Watt played snaps everywhere on the field (Even at LB) but he was listed a DE in the 3-4 the Texans play.

I really like what the Chiefs have in Justin Houston, the kid is a monster. I really wanted the Falcons to take him the year he was drafted, but the Chiefs scooped him up first. I'm a huge fan of his, I think he's got a great chance to contend for sack leader if they use him correctly. I'm not really sure what the Chiefs were doing with him last year. They had him running all over the field. Line him up and let the kid rush the passer, he'll get there.

I guess I'm just still confused as to why Geno Atkins and JJ Watt were left off the list. JJ Watt played snaps everywhere on the field (Even at LB) but he was listed a DE in the 3-4 the Texans play.

I really like what the Chiefs have in Justin Houston, the kid is a monster. I really wanted the Falcons to take him the year he was drafted, but the Chiefs scooped him up first. I'm a huge fan of his, I think he's got a great chance to contend for sack leader if they use him correctly. I'm not really sure what the Chiefs were doing with him last year. They had him running all over the field. Line him up and let the kid rush the passer, he'll get there.

Because he's a 3-4 DE. Not a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. He may have lined up eveywhere, but the vast majority of his snaps were at the 5 and 3 spots. And Atkins is a 3 tech as well. I didn't want to do all NFL linemen plus 34 OLB'S in one thread.

Because he's a 3-4 DE. Not a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. He may have lined up eveywhere, but the vast majority of his snaps were at the 5 and 3 spots. And Atkins is a 3 tech as well. I didn't want to do all NFL linemen plus 34 OLB'S in one thread.

He is a 3-4 OLB. Justin Houston and tamba Hali are the chiefs outside linebackers

He is a 3-4 OLB. Justin Houston and tamba Hali are the chiefs outside linebackers

I was responding to his question about Watt and Atkins. Not Houston.

I know he isn't as good as he used to be, but I am shocked no one has even mentioned Mario Williams yet.

Also, Kemp, I think I would have Hali a few spots higher than you do.

I know he isn't as good as he used to be, but I am shocked no one has even mentioned Mario Williams yet.

Also, Kemp, I think I would have Hali a few spots higher than you do.

Well if Buffalo would stop switching schemes every freaking offseason, I'd know which list to work Williams into... ;). But in all honesty, I was unimpressed with him last season so at best he's an honorable mention for me right now.

Hali might well return to pre-2012 form and work his way up this list. But he was pretty pedestrian last year. And he turns 30 this season, so it's possible that what we saw last season is the new norm for him.

I'm separating 4-3 DE's and 3-4 OLB's into two lists. Categorizing players into one list or the other based on what scheme they'll be in this coming year. As always, factoring in projection along with past performance.

4-3 Defensive Ends:

1. DeMarcus Ware, :Cowboys: Ware wasn't quite the pass rushing force that Cameron Wake was a year ago, but he's also a weakside rusher facing off against left tackles on every snap. And his work in the running game is better, IMO. So for those reasons, he wins out as my top 4-3 DE. I highly doubt the schematic shift will negatively affect him.

2. Cameron Wake, :dolphins: While I give Ware a slight edge due to Wake being marginally worse in run defense and playing the strong side- I have paramount respect for what Wake is as a pass rusher. If this were only about getting after the QB, he would be #1. He just abuses right tackles with his excellent get-off and relentless style.

3. Charles Johnson, :panthers: Another guy who terrorizes RT's- Johnson is one of the most proficient pass rushers around and a pretty stout run defender. He exemplifies the rare case in which a young, ascending player cashes in big time and yet continues to imrpove. I'm a big fan of his.

4. Jason Pierre-Paul, :Giants: Based purely off 2012, this is admittedly too high. But I firmly believe that a return to the strong side will help JPP reclaim dominance. And what I really love about his game is that he is actually a better run defender than he is a pass rusher- and that's saying something.

5. Greg Hardy, :panthers: Hardy has gotten better every year, and looks poised to make his name as one of the best in the league. Admittedly, this is one of my projection rankings. But he was a force rushing the passer against LT's and there's no reason to think he won't be even better in 2013 with more help at DT.

6. Jared Allen, :Vikings: Allen has always been something of a pure pass rusher (lackluster run D), and that hurts him in my eyes. That said, he's still a very effective RE who has to get his work done against left tackles. Very athletic and very high motor- two traits I love seeing in tandem.

7. Chris Long, :Rams: Long isn't a stellar run defender, but he's a huge producer of negative plays and for that I tip my cap to him. He seems to go unnoticed much of the time in St. Louis, but he's quietly gone about his work and has become one of the more consistent sack artists you'll find anywhere.

8. Julius Peppers, :Bears: Peppers is coming off a down year (by his standards), and his best play is likely behind him. That said, he's become a dominant run defender since arriving in Chicago and still gives QB's problems. One thing I have to respect about Peppers is that he never gets any freebies in the Bears' defensive scheme- he has to go through 1-2 blockers for everything he gets.

9. Derrick Morgan, :Titans: If Morgan continues to rack up pressure the way he did in 2012, the sacks will come. But anyone who watched him play last year will know that his numbers were oddly low for the amount of time he spent around the opposing signal caller. And his run defense is quite good as well.

10. Carlos Dunlap, :Bengals: I had a really hard time slotting my last DE, but I landed on Dunlap because, like Morgan, I thought he was a better pass rusher last year than his 6 sacks would indicate. He was also very tough to run against and was responsible for 4 FF and 1 INT. I think he'll end up being the better of the two Cincy DE's when it's all said and done.

Honorable Mentions:

-Robert Quinn, St. Lous

-Michael Johnson, Cincinnati

3-4 Rush Linebackers

1. Von Miller, :Broncos: While he technically plays in a base 4-3, Miller functions as a rush linebacker so I'm including him. In addition to being the best outside rusher in football last year, Miller has turned into a superb run defender and capable coverage man. Sucks.

2. Clay Matthews, :Packers: Matthews is a complete player, capable of doing whatever the Packers ask of him. And he's also been tasked with shouldering the lion's share of the pass rush responsibilities. He does so quite well, being extremely impressive around the corner. And a move to the weak side didn't phase him in the least.

3. Terrell Suggs, :Ravens: The last time I saw Suggs healthy, he was still one of the best all around pass rushers in the league. Capable of winning matchups against left tackles, as well as setting the edge in the running game, he is one of the best defenders anywhere. I'm betting he comes back as good as ever for at least one more season.

4. Aldon Smith, :49ers: Aldon was somewhat exposed in the absence of Justin Smith, which is why he's #4 despite the sexy statistics. That said, he's still an athletic phenom who continues to improve. And while it's fair to say Justin helps him, it goes to far to argue that he has nothing to do with his superb production. I especially like his work inside on stunts and loops.

5. Justin Houston, :Chiefs: Houston was criminally underused as a pass rusher in 2012. I can't think that will be the case again in 2013. But when he was allowed to rush last year, he was extremely efficient. And he's not a one trick pony either, being capable in run defense and in coverage.

6. Brandon Graham, :Eagles: Projection pick here- I've been a big fan of Graham's since his days at Michigan. And he was one of the best pass rushers in the league during the 2nd half of last year when he was finally given his chance. I think he'll transition to linebacker just fine and could turn into a real force for Philly.

7. Lamarr Woodley, :Steelers: Woodley had a down season, but at 28 I fully expect him to come back better in 2013. And when he's right, few players anywhere are as versatile as he is. Rare is the rush linebacker who can shut down rushes to his side, beat offensive tackles for sacks, and cover tight ends and running backs down the field. The only reason he's at #7 is because of his lackluster effort in 2012.

8. Brian Orakpo, :Redskins: While Orakpo hasn't been able to top his rookie year in terms of pure pass rushing, he's become a very well-rounded player and could have a big comeback campaign for Washington this season. Even if he stays around ~9 sacks, his work in the running game coupled with that kind of production makes him a very good player.

9. Elvis Dumervil, :Ravens: The last time that Dum played linebacker in a 3-4, he came away with 17 sacks. Now he's back in a similar scheme, and that will help alleviate his issues in run defense and with disengaging from offensive tackles. Starting each play with a little extra space between himself and the blocker will benefit him quite a bit. Great pickup for Baltimore.

10. Tamba Hali, :Chiefs: I have a feeling that Hali's 2012 season is going to be closer to the norm for him at this point in his career. But even at that, he's a persistent rusher who can get on a roll and give LT's some serious issues. Seems to be a case where by the time he's actually granted the respect that his play once deserved, he'll be past the point of playing up to that level.

Honorable Mentions:

-Dwight Freeney, San Diego

-Ahmad Brooks, San Francisco

-Ryan Kerrigan, Washington

As a Panther fan I am very excited about Hardy and Johnson. They each obtained double digit sacks with DTs that were below average to weak. The Panthers have shored up that interior D-Line. Teams are going to have to pick their poison with the Panther D-line. You can only double so many players. AT minimum two of these guys are going to be one on one.

This is going to be fun. :panthers:

Mucho props putting Von at #1. Your list is excellent. You should do a simple top-20 pass-rushers ranking considering all positions. I would put Jared Allen a shade higher, you can't rank a list on pass rushing and knock him because of run D. Doom could be a little higher too. I think he'll have a big year playing with Suggs and with that chip on his shoulder.

Mucho props putting Von at #1. Your list is excellent. You should do a simple top-20 pass-rushers ranking considering all positions. I would put Jared Allen a shade higher, you can't rank a list on pass rushing and knock him because of run D. Doom could be a little higher too. I think he'll have a big year playing with Suggs and with that chip on his shoulder.

Perhaps I should clarify. I termed these players "pass rushers" as a way to refer to 3-4 OLB's and 4-3 DE's collectively, but I didn't set out to rank them based solely on their pass rush ability. That's obviously the most important aspect of their positions, but no the only important one. So I was still looking at how they perform in the running game or, in the case of the OLB's, in coverage.