Bay

Official preseason discussion thread

With more games starting back up tomorrow, this is the place for talking about whomever--whatever from any game.

I've never really been a fan of watching the first team players actually get the ball in the first quarter or two. There's just no shock factor there unless you have new players. I love preseason for all the position battles though. The guys in close battles play so hard it's just phenomenal seeing them put their hearts out on the field. I'm stoked to see Joplo Bartu and Brian Banks on the field tonight for the Falcons, and I'm also stoked to watch Robert Alford and Desmond Trufant try and race eachother for the #2 corner position this year. Going to be absolutely awesome. At least to me anyway.

Hopefully there aren't any more injuries on the Falcons this off season, just need to make it to week 1.

:Bucs:

Impressed

Jonathan Banks

Danny Gorrer

Jonathan Casillas

Kevin Ogletree

Brian Leonard

Derek Dimke

Dissapointed

Daquan Bowers

Keith Tandy

Chris Owusu

Pass rush in general

Special Teams (besides Dimke)

Adam Weber (Fucking LOL)

Overall, pretty dissapointing. Our starters played fine, but our depth is awful. Ravens 2nd and 3rd stringers embarrassed our guys.

Listening to the Brown's announcer made the Rams vs. Browns a game to watch. Was hilarious till the very end.

Sam Bradford looked good though. I know it's just preseason, but he just showed the stuff that made him great at Oklahoma.

Listening to the Brown's announcer made the Rams vs. Browns a game to watch. Was hilarious till the very end.

Sam Bradford looked good though. I know it's just preseason, but he just showed the stuff that made him great at Oklahoma.

I see Tavon Austin didn't get a single catch. What happened there?

Seahawks fans, I saw Allen Bradford started for you guys at LB today. How'd he do? He was the Bucs 6th round pick a few years ago, and was originally a RB, but it didn't work out and he switched to LB after we released him.

Seahawks fans, I saw Allen Bradford started for you guys at LB today. How'd he do? He was the Bucs 6th round pick a few years ago, and was originally a RB, but it didn't work out and he switched to LB after we released him.

He played well against us. He popped when we put our 2nd string in.

I don't get worried about the Falcons record in the preseason. During the Matt Ryan/Mike Smith era they have stunk it up in the preseason tbh. I am however concerned about the o-line.

I see Tavon Austin didn't get a single catch. What happened there?

He had an easy catch and he dropped it. They didn't really do much with him, he played a good amount of snaps but it seems like they are either easing him in, or Bradford has no trust in him.

Kinda makes me wish I had paid attention to Rams' camp. lol.

He had an easy catch and he dropped it. They didn't really do much with him, he played a good amount of snaps but it seems like they are either easing him in, or Bradford has no trust in him.

Kinda makes me wish I had paid attention to Rams' camp. lol.

Ah okay. They've been hyping Tavon Austin up pretty hard in Rams camp which is why I asked. So he froze up in his first game. Hopefully he will do better in game 2. I wasn't a fan of Tavon going to the Rams. I saw him being a compliment to a team that already had a true #1 receiver so he won't be the main focus and be more of a mismatch guy.

I don't get worried about the Falcons record in the preseason. During the Matt Ryan/Mike Smith era they have stunk it up in the preseason tbh. I am however concerned about the o-line.

Yeah, the Colts under Manning were always an epic mess in preseason as well. Like, awful. Fans would panic and then at least 12 wins would magically appear in the regular season.

Last year we did okay at times but I never expect much this time of year. I just don't want injuries which of course always seem to happen.

DEN @ SF, pretty boring game overall.

Julius Thomas is going to be a beast. He is just a matchup nightmare at 6'5" 250, and he is a load to try and bring down. If he stays healthy he will have a field day with DT/Deck/Welker getting all the attention. Really looks more like Antonio Gates every time I see him play.

Duke Ihenacho is the big surprise of camp and he did not disappoint in his first game starting with the 1s. Idk where Elway keeps finding these UDFA gems but Nacho is a baller. He was flying all over the place and made a couple big plays.

I have some serious concerns about the o-line. They were completely dismal from top to bottom tonight. Clady wasn't out there but they showed they cannot protect the edge without him. I'm scared as hell about ManRam as the first team center, and Ryan Lilja got lit up when he went in in relief.

Like I tried to tell Crash, Omar Bolden was awful. Arguably the worst player on the field tonight. He got beat several times, and on the play he had a pass breakup he was lucky because he was smoked again by two yards.

Stewart Bradley also looked pretty bad. He looked like Keith Brooking which isn't exactly a compliment. He was always in his run gap though which is something you could say about Joe Mays. Nate Irving had a much better game and had a couple big tackles and a forced fumble. Didn't really get to see any of Irving in coverage though which is where Bradley really struggled.

• Upvote 1

Julius Thomas is going to be a beast. He is just a matchup nightmare at 6'5" 250, and he is a load to try and bring down. If he stays healthy he will have a field day with DT/Deck/Welker getting all the attention. Really looks more like Antonio Gates every time I see him play.

Duke Ihenacho is the big surprise of camp and he did not disappoint in his first game starting with the 1s. Idk where Elway keeps finding these UDFA gems but Nacho is a baller. He was flying all over the place and made a couple big plays.

I have some serious concerns about the o-line. They were completely dismal from top to bottom tonight. Clady wasn't out there but they showed they cannot protect the edge without him. I'm scared as hell about ManRam as the first team center, and Ryan Lilja got lit up when he went in in relief.

Like I tried to tell Crash, Omar Bolden was awful. Arguably the worst player on the field tonight. He got beat several times, and on the play he had a pass breakup he was lucky because he was smoked again by two yards.

Stewart Bradley also looked pretty bad. He looked like Keith Brooking which isn't exactly a compliment. He was always in his run gap though which is something you could say about Joe Mays. Nate Irving had a much better game and had a couple big tackles and a forced fumble. Didn't really get to see any of Irving in coverage though which is where Bradley really struggled.

Wow you really must not have watched any of the game just some highlights

Edited by Crash
  • Downvote 5

Lol. When I was reading MHG's run down of the game, my first thought was Crash is going to acuse him of not actually watching because some of these things he's saying aren't positive.

Edited by KempBolt
  • Upvote 1

Overall I am encouraged by preseason wk 1. The long and short of it is that our starters looked very good, some of our key reserves showed out, and our depth on the whole was suspect (though many of our underperformers are guys who don't figure to make the 53 man roster). Take the notes below for what they're worth- impressions drawn from a limited sample size.

Specificities:

-The defense is ahead of the offense, as expected. The offense put together a nice, long scoring drive to start things off, but the D was pretty suffocating. I will say that run blocking looks improved at 4 out of the 5 starting positions.

-Rivers looked like his old self for the one series he actually played. He was comfortable in the pocket and threw with velocity and accuracy. He was also able to pick and slide away from pressure when it came and still deliver the ball. The one decision that pissed me off was running and diving for a first down at the end of that first drive. Not in preseason Phil!

-Dwight Freeney can still ball. Our defensive front was getting a lot of push in passing situations and he was getting freed up to create pressure- which he did very effectively.

-The starting offensive line looked pretty good across the board. Dunlap was rock solid at left tackle. Fluker got beat by a speed rush, but I saw the adjustment on the following snaps. He doesn't have the feet to mirror speed so he needs to rely on technique and length. I'll look for progress next week, but I think he'll get there. He creates push in the running game, that's for sure. This all needs to be taken with a grain of salt, as the Seahawks were missing Irvin, Clemons, and Avril.

-The secondary seemed much improved from 2012 in limited action against Seattle's starters. On one instance, Wilson was looking for the deep cross off of PA. He had all the time in world, but he never threw. I didn't have a shot of the secondary in that instance, but the assumption is that he didn't have anywhere to go with it. When I was able to see the DB's working, they weren't allowing much separation.

-Starks is a decent backup at tackle, but the rest of the reserves need a lot more work. Troutman and Molk were alright at center and guard, but they also had costly penalties. If they can limit the mental mistakes, they'll be good backups. Nick Becton and Mike Harris aren't NFL caliber players right now.

-Keenan Allen was a mixed bag. He had a couple nice grabs and came really close to a big play on a ball that was overthrown. But he also tipped a pass that was eventually picked.

-Robert Meachem is soft and a waste of a roster spot. We have to keep him due to his contract (costs more to cut than to keep), but he was still on the field with the 3rd and 4th stringers and just wasn't making any plays. Maxwell's pick was partly the result of a bad throw/decision, but it wasn't helped my Meachem's failure to fight for the ball.

-Steve Williams and Tourek Williams are two rookies that can clearly play. Steve was in tight coverage both times he was targeted (there was a TD allowed that may or may not have been his guy, but it was blown coverage) and made good plays on the ball. I tallied two TFL for Tourek.

-Kwame Geathers runs hot and cold just like he did at Georgia. There are times when he's the first one off the ball and penetrates 5 yards deep in a blink, but then he'll disappear for a couple snaps. An excellent project.

-Charlie Whitehurst is a lousy backup. He's not going anywhere because it's too late to replace him and he's apparently a good one to have in the QB room, but Brad Sorensen was better. Brad got the ball out of his hands quicker, extended some plays, and was mostly on the money.

-I don't like our depth at RB. Granted we were without Woodhead, but he will be more of a 3rd down guy. Fozzy Whittaker had some decent chunk runs, but he goes down on first contact and most just got what was there. Definitely a position I'll be monitoring this preseason.

Seahawks observations:

-Wilson is going to extend a lot of plays. That's where his athleticism will be most dangerous (not on designed runs). Kudos to him for escaping a couple sacks.

-When their zone attack works correctly, it's pretty nice looking. Their linemen flow downhill in a hurry.

-Their talent in the secondary runs pretty deep. Granted Byron Maxwell & Co. were making plays against Charlie Whitehurst and some receivers who probably aren't on an NFL roster this season. But you can only beat the guys that line up across from you.

-I saw nothing to dispell my opinion that Christine Michael could be the 2013 draft's best running back. Having your first game against our front 7 is a tall task, but as the game went on, he showed that combination of power and quicks that he flashed at A&M. I really hope Carroll keeps that kid on the straight and narrow, because he can play.

-Brock Huard is damn near insufferable as an announcer if you're not a Seahawks fan. For instance- early in the game, our defense completely anhilates the pocket and flushes Wilson who has to scramble for next to no gain. Not a word about our front 7-- just a big circle jerk about Wilson's escape (for no gain). That basically happened twice, expect the second instance was him throwing the ball away. What a homer.

Edited by KempBolt

I kind of figured that would happen with Julius Thomas. Dammit.

Yeah Kemp, Christine Michael looked really good yesterday. Charlie Whitehurst was complete asscheeks, hope Sorenson beats him out. Missed the first team play but sounds like they played well. Te'o do anything?

Tyrod Taylor looked solid as a backup for the Ravens. I've always kind of liked the guy. I'm pretty sure he becomes a Free Agent next year, I wonder if anyone would ever consider giving him a shot to start?

Yeah Kemp, Christine Michael looked really good yesterday. Charlie Whitehurst was complete asscheeks, hope Sorenson beats him out. Missed the first team play but sounds like they played well. Te'o do anything?

Not really. He was well-positioned in coverage for the most part and his run fits were solid. He got negated by their FB on one run, but that was the only negative I saw. Not much to go on either way.

-Brock Huard is damn near insufferable as an announcer if you're not a Seahawks fan. For instance- early in the game, our defense completely anhilates the pocket and flushes Wilson who has to scramble for next to no gain. Not a word about our front 7-- just a big circle jerk about Wilson's escape (for no gain). That basically happened twice, expect the second instance was him throwing the ball away. What a homer.

Don't worry. We can't stand him either.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your analysis. Christine Michael looked incredible. Byron Maxwell and Chris Maragos made some good plays. Jermaine Kearse looked improved, thought he still slightly mis-timed a couple balls. Overall good day of beasting for the Seahawks twos and threes.

As for your guys. Your first string definately looked good for the one drive they were out. Rivers actually resembled the Rivers of old. Then, even after both sides put their number ones away the score stayed pretty low and tight for awhile. I was impressed by your depth actually. In the end ours proved better and we ran away with it, but I saw a deeper and stronger Chargers roster than I expected. Might be a good year for you guys.

• Upvote 1

Duke IHENACHO! Man is the real deal.