Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Power Wankings

Finish it up with the top 3.

3. New England Patriots

Oh no, they've lost so many receivers, they're gonna suck now! Receivrs don't mean shit in this league. This team still has Brady, and still has Belichick coaching the bend don't break defense. I expect they won't slow down even a little bit, and are still one of the two juggernauts to worry about in the AFC. Ridley and Vereen make a powerful running game as well. Aside from receivers, who are not even that big of a problem, the only concern I'd have is Tom Brady's age, but that hasn't been a problem yet. The Patriots are really good, and I expect only the Ravens are better overall.

2. Baltimore Ravens

Speaking of the Ravens, who the fuck let's the super bowl champions get 8 times better? They stole Dumervil from us, picked up Daryl Smith to replace Ellerbe, Michael Huff to fill in for Ed Reed, and they drafted some rookies with potential to fill those positions in the future. Aside from that, Caldwell is a giant improvement for this offense, a willingness to run the football combined with two great backs, an improved offensive alignment, keeping the Blind Side off the blind side, and decent receivers means a better offense overall. LaDarius Webb is back from injury, which means they have a shut down corner again... and the Ravens are the team to beat in the AFC. Even if they don't kill it in the regular season, all that matters is when they make the playoffs, who will stop them?

1. Seattle Seahawks

And Number 1... Might be a surprise? I dunno, I see the most oppressive defense in football, a great defensive line, the best starting secondary in football, average linebackers, but hardly the most concerning issue when Brandon Mebane and Red Bryant clog the line. Aside from that, they have incredible coaching, they score quicker and take longer to give up points than any team in the league and you can expect that trend to continue. They added offensive weapons to Wilson's arsenal, giving him even more power backs to handoff too, as well as an attempt to improve their WR's by adding Percy Harvin. Probably the only bad move they made this offseason, but I suppose 8 games of Percy Harvin playing like he did last year might be worth something. Not a first round pick though. In any case, it's gonna be really tough to stop this team, and I expect them to be the team with the best odds for pulling the super bowl off.

• Upvote 1

I might do this later... without the lengthy explanations though.

But I'm shocked and impressed with vast majority in this thread saying the Ravens will be good. It's sad when major media outlets are already counting us out (though they always do) but I'm glad to see people here are more knowledgable. We did take a major hit on offense losing Boldin and Pitta to injury, but our defense should be really solid and as someone said we can get back to Ravens offense: not huge impressive numbers, but a strong run game and the addition of Torrey Smith when he's open. He did cut his dreads so... he'll be even faster this year. (I'm being facetious there FYI.)

Combined with the Steelers write up? LUH-AME!

Lombardi is coming home. :yep:

Edited by Favre4Ever

Good read, minor disagreements but other than that pretty reasonable.

I'm big on the Saints and the Broncos both of which should be higher on your list IMO. Really comes down to the Saints having some form of defense if they want to win. I think you were way too low on your Broncos (avoiding a jinx?), that offense should be legen.......wait for it.....dary.

Broncos shouldn't be sub-5. I don't like our playoff chances with Manning either, but we are leaps and bounds better than those other teams.

Broncos shouldn't be sub-5. I don't like our playoff chances with Manning either, but we are leaps and bounds better than those other teams.

Statements like that are the reason I cant wait for the season to start. I hate to go against conventional wisdom here, but no...you're not. What makes Denver so awesome ? Other than the media hype of course ?

You have a great regular season QB ? Check. You have 3 WR's which really wont make much of a difference than last year's offense. No proven TE's. Your O line has what 2 good guys ? Is your D line some juggernaut ? You have Von Miller, awesome. What about the rest of your LB's ? Are they good ? Yeah but they are not great. Your secondary is decent but nothing spectacular.

This is not to say you have no talent, you do. That said, I just dont see how you guys are leaps and bounds ahead of any of the top 5 to 7 teams in the league. You guys look a lot like the Falcons to me. So why are you so much better than everyone else ? Other than just, " Hey man we are the Broncos and have a shit division...."

Preach it Ngata.

Everyone knows its the Panthers who are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone, anyway.

Statements like that are the reason I cant wait for the season to start. I hate to go against conventional wisdom here, but no...you're not. What makes Denver so awesome ? Other than the media hype of course ?

You have a great regular season QB ? Check. You have 3 WR's which really wont make much of a difference than last year's offense. No proven TE's. Your O line has what 2 good guys ? Is your D line some juggernaut ? You have Von Miller, awesome. What about the rest of your LB's ? Are they good ? Yeah but they are not great. Your secondary is decent but nothing spectacular.

This is not to say you have no talent, you do. That said, I just dont see how you guys are leaps and bounds ahead of any of the top 5 to 7 teams in the league. You guys look a lot like the Falcons to me. So why are you so much better than everyone else ? Other than just, " Hey man we are the Broncos and have a shit division...."

Whelp, I wrote you out quite a lengthy response last night before the boards crumbled and I lost it, so I won't be doing that again. However you make so much more of my words than is actually there which was unsurprising from a Ravens fan on the eve of gameday.

To summarize really quickly: Our o-line was rated 4th in the league last year, and just got better inside with Vasquez. Being on your 3rd center before game one sucks, but Ramirez has had plenty of time to acclimate and he's playing beside his old Texas Tech buddy. Clady, Beadles, and Kuper (back soon) all have pro-bowls to their resumes.

You have 3 WR's which really wont make much of a difference than last year's offense.

The best receiving corp in football is the best receiving corp in football, however you'd like to belittle it. Tamme and Dreesen are solid vets, and they've been leapfrogged by the next big thing in Gates2.0 Julius Thomas, who was damn near uncoverable in camp and the preseason.

The defense is a question mark right now, but Champ and Harris were PFF's top-rated tandem last year, and we just added DRC. Rahim Moore, aside from one play, had an outstanding sophomore season and will learn from that mistake.

I'm concerned about the pass rush, but not so much that I would rank the Broncos less than #5 because of it. Run defense will be better than last year with Ayers (that's all he's good at) on the line and the addition of Pot Roast Knighton. Don't sleep on Derek Wolfe either. 6.5 sacks and really disruptive as a rookie, and plays every position on the line.

All I'm saying is that I confidently rank the Broncos at 5 or higher, not saying they should be number one. I just have qualms with the Steelers, Bengals, Packers, and to some extent the Falcons being ranked higher on paper. Like you said, I can't wait for the game. Almost an hour and a half to go, it should be a great contest. :rock: Good luck and hopefully everyone comes out of it without injuries.

I might do this later... without the lengthy explanations though.

But I'm shocked and impressed with vast majority in this thread saying the Ravens will be good. It's sad when major media outlets are already counting us out (though they always do) but I'm glad to see people here are more knowledgable. We did take a major hit on offense losing Boldin and Pitta to injury, but our defense should be really solid and as someone said we can get back to Ravens offense: not huge impressive numbers, but a strong run game and the addition of Torrey Smith when he's open. He did cut his dreads so... he'll be even faster this year. (I'm being facetious there FYI.)

This is just a gut feeling, so there's no real logic to it, but I get the sense that the Ravens could have a season where they just finish 8-8 or 9-7. Torrey Smith and Ray Rice are good, but losing Anquan Boldin and Dennis Pitta hurts. As for the defense, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed might be functionally replaced, but their leadership could still be missed nonetheless. I don't think the Ravens are going to wallow in mediocrity for an extended period of time, but it wouldn't surprise me if they flop for a season, especially given how inconsistent they were last season.

Edited by DBR96A

Whelp, I wrote you out quite a lengthy response last night before the boards crumbled and I lost it, so I won't be doing that again. However you make so much more of my words than is actually there which was unsurprising from a Ravens fan on the eve of gameday.

To summarize really quickly: Our o-line was rated 4th in the league last year, and just got better inside with Vasquez. Being on your 3rd center before game one sucks, but Ramirez has had plenty of time to acclimate and he's playing beside his old Texas Tech buddy. Clady, Beadles, and Kuper (back soon) all have pro-bowls to their resumes.

The best receiving corp in football is the best receiving corp in football, however you'd like to belittle it. Tamme and Dreesen are solid vets, and they've been leapfrogged by the next big thing in Gates2.0 Julius Thomas, who was damn near uncoverable in camp and the preseason.

The defense is a question mark right now, but Champ and Harris were PFF's top-rated tandem last year, and we just added DRC. Rahim Moore, aside from one play, had an outstanding sophomore season and will learn from that mistake.

I'm concerned about the pass rush, but not so much that I would rank the Broncos less than #5 because of it. Run defense will be better than last year with Ayers (that's all he's good at) on the line and the addition of Pot Roast Knighton. Don't sleep on Derek Wolfe either. 6.5 sacks and really disruptive as a rookie, and plays every position on the line.

All I'm saying is that I confidently rank the Broncos at 5 or higher, not saying they should be number one. I just have qualms with the Steelers, Bengals, Packers, and to some extent the Falcons being ranked higher on paper. Like you said, I can't wait for the game. Almost an hour and a half to go, it should be a great contest. :rock: Good luck and hopefully everyone comes out of it without injuries.

I think overall the falcons have the best receivers in football. That said your is close. I didnt really read more into it then there was did I ? It sounded like you made it sound like there could be no other argument for the teams that were ahead of the Broncos outside the top 5.

You are right where the Ravens are. You have so many reasons for optimism, your vasquez is our Smith, your derek wolf is our arthur brown, and so on. I am not trying to compare our teams necessarily, I am just saying right now what you have is a roster that could be argued 3 ways to sunday anywhere in the top 7 because derek wolfe is unproven, your, Julius thomas being Gates 2.0 because of camp... Well we had a dude that tore it up in camp and has sucked<== that story every team has it, and many more flops have occured.

I am not saying your not talented but in about 1 hour we are going to find out how much the Ravens or Broncos are overhyped. I will say straight up the Ravens are over hyped. We have no receivers to speak of and unproven people on both sides.

The question will be answered, All I am saying is dont be surprised when/if the hype train is more than what you have on the field.

I think overall the falcons have the best receivers in football. That said your is close. I didnt really read more into it then there was did I ? It sounded like you made it sound like there could be no other argument for the teams that were ahead of the Broncos outside the top 5.

You are right where the Ravens are. You have so many reasons for optimism, your vasquez is our Smith, your derek wolf is our arthur brown, and so on. I am not trying to compare our teams necessarily, I am just saying right now what you have is a roster that could be argued 3 ways to sunday anywhere in the top 7 because derek wolfe is unproven, your, Julius thomas being Gates 2.0 because of camp... Well we had a dude that tore it up in camp and has sucked<== that story every team has it, and many more flops have occured.

I am not saying your not talented but in about 1 hour we are going to find out how much the Ravens or Broncos are overhyped. I will say straight up the Ravens are over hyped. We have no receivers to speak of and unproven people on both sides.

The question will be answered, All I am saying is dont be surprised when/if the hype train is more than what you have on the field.

I agree the ravens have been overhyped but in all reality Denver played sloppy football without 2 of our best players. Teams better watch out

Oh the week 1 chest thumping. Love it. Peyton is always good in the regular season and sucks in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Oh the week 1 chest thumping. Love it. Peyton is always good in the regular season and sucks in the playoffs.

Just reminding you guys that this is the best team in the league. Youll see, Just like I've said all offseason, you'll see

and you would be on here all humdrum if the Panthers smoked the superbowl champs in the opener... right. We were far from perfect, but you can't deny that game put the league on notice.

Yeah and then Trevathan fumbled it on the goalline. <_ still got a ways to go but good showing today. we were gifted lot of plays though the ravens seemed complacent.>

• Upvote 1

Some thoughts:

- Teams are going to have to win shoot outs to beat the Broncos. If you try and rely on your defense to stop Peyton and win a grinder, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Not like that's a surprise. The Ravens were going toe to toe and getting the better of the Broncos until their pass catchers became allergic to completions. That was when the game turned. You just can't keep giving the ball to Manning & Co over and over and expect to win. However, if teams can keep things close and play keepaway from Peyton I think they have a chance because I didn't see much in the way of pass rush until things got out of hand and it was jail break time.

- I still think that the Ravens defense is going to be pretty good this year. They'll be much maligned this week, but I doubt there is a team in the league that could be put in the position that they were with all the three and outs and do much better. The run defense is obviously solid and the pass rush was the better of the two teams until later in the 2nd half when the game turned into a route. Having Webb back looked big.

- The Broncos can sure stuff the run. Vickerson-Knighton looked good and allowed the undersized LB's to fly around and make plays. They sacrifice some pass rush having that DL configuration (Wolfe-Knighton-Vickerson-Ayers), but it isn't going to be easy to run against it. They couldn't run the ball worth a darn, but that was a tough DL they were running into so we'll see how things look in the future. Moreno had some nice moments, Hillman was good (though clearly a COP back), and Ball looked ordinary.

- Overall can't do anything but tip the cap to the Denver defense. Though I'll be interested to see what they can do when the opposition has receivers and tight ends who can catch. Dickson, Stokely, and Clark all dropped a bunch of balls, played soft, and gave up on routes. That's not to take anything away from the Denver players, but stiffer tests are yet to come.

- Amazing the difference when Jones left the game. He's not world beater, but it's a gigantic step down from him to rookie Marlon Brown and Stokely. Ozzie planned to give up a little on O in order to fix the D, but he couldn't have planned for and didn't figure on Pitta's injury. He needs to make a move or two and shore that up or the Ravens won't be able to hang with the big boys in the AFC.

and you would be on here all humdrum if the Panthers smoked the superbowl champs in the opener... right. We were far from perfect, but you can't deny that game put the league on notice.

Certainly a statement game, no doubt about it. I do think that Thanatos' point is fair- that it's superbowl or bust for this team (everyone knows they're going to tear up the regular season; that's no surprise).

Just reminding you guys that this is the best team in the league. Youll see, Just like I've said all offseason, you'll see

Question- what is it like to have no one ever take you seriously? I'm curious.

I don't think its ridiculous to think that the Broncos be the best team in the league.

Don't fall for the media's overreaction to early season outcomes. Yes, Peyton looked great. Yes, the Ravens looked abysmal in the second half. I expect a lot more overreaction to things we see this weekend especially regarding the big franchises and big names, but I never fall for the hype. Remember last year the Eagles and Cardinals won their first two or three.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the Broncos were underhyped if anything.

Should we just hand them the Lombardi now, or play out the rest of the season just for shits and gigs?

Edited by BradyFan81

Yeah, just like the Cowboys were the "Best team in the league" week one of last year when they beat the defending champion Giants in New York. Just like the Cardinals were 4-0 and shaping up to be a top team in the NFC and the Bears were 7-1 and a "lock" for the playoffs. Nothing is set in stone yet, so hold off on sizing yourself for that superbowl ring until you actually get there.

Edited by Jayrus

No, actually I wouldn't. I would be, "Well that was a great game, but it's only week 1." Please don't act like you know me or you know what I would say. This is not your average football forum, most people on here aren't homers.

Are we continuing to use this thread or a new one each week? Working on mine now due to frustration with the ones produced by ESPN, NFL, etc.