Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Bware's Upset Scenarios: Week 1

I'll be posting a few potential upsets a week. As it's harvest, I can only do one right now, but I'll update the post before Sunday.

Opening week Upset #1: Baltimore over Denver.

Why it will happen:

The Ravens come in with a much improved front 7 on defense, and some would even argue that their secondary is better. As long as Webb stays healthy, I tend to agree. On the other hand, the Broncos are down to what, their third string center? That doesn't bode well for Peyton Manning and the Broncos running attack, and while they don't necessarily need a potent rushing game, this will allow the Baltimore defense to focus singularly on Denver's passing game. On the other side of the ball, the Ravens now sport a true focus on Torrey Smith as their number 1 receiver, and I as a fan am also intrigued by the likes of Tandon Doss and Marlon Brown. The Ravens offensive line is intact, Ray Rice is healthy. Joe Flacco is a year better. The Broncos are missing Miller and Bailey, their two best defensive players, and their defense is overrated to begin with. Losing Elvis Dumervil will hurt more than they realize, and he just might show them tonight.

Is it an upset?

Not in the slightest. The media is going to tell you it is, but as intelligent football fans, I doubt that I'm the only one here who expects the Ravens to win.

I won't go so far as to predict a score, but I will say this--don't be surprised if the Ravens win, and by double digits.

Opening Week Upset #2: Minnesota over Detroit

Why it will happen:

Minnesota has the better overall team. Think about it. How many positions does Detroit have an advantage at? QB, one WR, both DTs, one Safety position (Quinn over Samford), one Corner position (Houston over Robinson). That's 6 spots out of 22 starters, and the Lions special teams are unproven and unlikely to be better than Walsh, Locke, Patterson (KR), and Sherels (PR). Minnesota also has a better coaching staff, mostly because of how bad Scott Linehan is. Bill Musgrave is no genius, but he makes Linehan look like a moron.

Also, watch out for Cordarelle Patterson. If he gets the reps, he will produce.

Is it an upset?

Absolutely, positively not. While the Lions are a sexy pick, their offensive line and secondary are still huge question marks (though I do like the pairing of Quinn and the underrated Delmas), not to mention their running game. Don't fool yourselves into thinking Reggie Bush is all of a sudden going to be some all star back. If he was as good as people think he'll be in Detroit, he'd have shown it elsewhere. Adrian Peterson will gain plenty of yardage--they won't run at Suh and Fairley too much. Ponder will show improvement. That defense will still be solid. One under the radar stat that people don't remember is that, in the matchup when Chris Cook was healthy, Calvin Johnson only had 54 receiving yards last year. Yes, that is an anomaly, but to think that Cook had nothing to do with that is absurd. Look what happened the second time around, when Cook wasn't healthy.

One way or another, this upset is absolutely in the cards, and don't be surprised if the Vikings leave the Motor City at 1-0.

Opening Week Upset #3: Green Bay over San Francisco

Why it might happen:

I really really dislike the 9ers losing Goldson, and I've never been a huge fan of their corners. When all is said and done, it's the secondary that Green Bay is obviously going to attack. I think Aaron Rodgers and the Packers will come in pissed, much like Denver did against Baltimore in my already foiled original upset pick. I don't much like San Fran's corners, either, so if Green Bay's weapons are healthy, this could be a much different games from the last two matchups. I also feel like Colin Kaepernick is going to have a bit of slump this season, and if Green Bay's defense is at all improved, they might get it started.

Is it an upset?

Most definitely. Green Bay's had nothing for San Fran the last two times they've played, and there's nothing that indicates that this matchup should be any different. As of right now, it's simply another Sunday and another game, but the 49ers still present a matchup nightmare for Green Bay. However, I feel that Green Bay's receivers are a nightmare for San Fran's secondary.

I'm kind of going on gut feeling, here. I'll be honest.

Opening Week Upset #4: San Diego over Houston

Why it might happen:

This one is really iffy, but as San Diego really is a mystery as a team, I think it's entirely possible. I don't really like the Texans, as far as true legitimacy is concerned (as an elite team), and I really think Schaub isn't the guy who's going to lead them anywhere. I like Philip Rivers, and I like quite a few of his weapons. At this point, however, the Chargers appear to be in neutral. Let's see if Mike McCoy and a brand new coaching staff can change that.

Is it an upset?

Oh, without question. Everybody thinks that the Chargers will suck, but they have an excellent quarterback, and God knows, if this defense can be at least somewhat decent, the Chargers could win a good amount of games this year.

This really isn't likely, but I think it's certainly possible.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 5

Is it an upset?

Not in the slightest. The media is going to tell you it is, but as intelligent football fans, I doubt that I'm the only one here who expects the Ravens to win.

I won't go so far as to predict a score, but I will say this--don't be surprised if the Ravens win, and by double digits.

Yea, I'm not sure this is the game I would have chosen to begin a week upset thread. Are you planning on doing more games for the week?

Here's a real upset, (homer alert):

:panthers: 23

:Seahawks: 17

Yeah, this game is not an upset. The Ravens have the better team.

Agreed with this. It's not actually an upset but yes, ESPN, NFL Network, etc will tell you it is because they are ridiculous.

Yea, I'm not sure this is the game I would have chosen to begin a week upset thread. Are you planning on doing more games for the week?

Yeah. I might do them, now (caught an unexpected short break because it was too wet to combine). I'll outline a few more.

Heh. Don't feel like a homer because I actually thought of his upset myself even though I didn't go along with it in the pick em thread.

Agreed with this. It's not actually an upset but yes, ESPN, NFL Network, etc will tell you it is because they are ridiculous.

The only reason it's an "upset" to them is because they all have Peyton Manning deep in their throats.

Quite frankly, I won't be surprised if he never wins another Super Bowl.

I picked that as one of my upsets this week. I think the Panthers are a bit underrated, and West Coast teams tend to be a bit rusty playing at 10AM Pacific time.

The only reason it's an "upset" to them is because they all have Peyton Manning deep in their throats.

Quite frankly, I won't be surprised if he never wins another Super Bowl.

It'd be the same way if New England was playing.

You're not a homer. That's a very real expectation. Your team is much better than most people are prepared to admit and we're historically shit on these 10 AM road games. This game will be a good test of our ability to shake that curse. I'm predicting about the same score going the other way. I don't see us wining by any more than 10 unless your team just collapses. However I won't be shocked if we drop this one to you.

Edited by Jayrus
  • Upvote 1

It'd be the same way if New England was playing.

I don't necessarily agree. Yeah, the media has made love to Tom Brady too, but if anything, it seems like people are counting them out as serious Super Bowl contenders this season, and just assuming that they'll win the AFC East because it's weak. It's ironic because they've spent so many years worshiping Brady, but now that the ranks at WR and TE have suddenly thinned, they think that's enough to bring the team down. Quite frankly, I think Brady's good enough to be productive regardless of the talent at WR and TE, and he's better than Manning to boot.

Edited by DBR96A

I don't necessarily agree. Yeah, the media has made love to Tom Brady too, but if anything, it seems like people are counting them out as serious Super Bowl contenders this season, and just assuming that they'll win the AFC East because it's weak. It's ironic because they've spent so many years worshiping Brady, but now that the ranks at WR and TE have suddenly thinned, they think that's enough to bring the team down. Quite frankly, I think Brady's good enough to be productive regardless of the talent at WR and TE, and he's better than Manning to boot.

And that is the number one reason why I never count them out.

I also can't see anyone competing with NE again this season. Buffalo has essentially hit the reset button, the Jets are just a mess, and the Dolphins I'm not too sure about. I can see NE finishing at 13-3 again.

I'll be posting a few potential upsets a week. As it's harvest, I can only do one right now, but I'll update the post before Sunday.

Opening week Upset #1: Baltimore over Denver.

Why it will happen:

The Ravens come in with a much improved front 7 on defense, and some would even argue that their secondary is better. As long as Webb stays healthy, I tend to agree. On the other hand, the Broncos are down to what, their third string center? That doesn't bode well for Peyton Manning and the Broncos running attack, and while they don't necessarily need a potent rushing game, this will allow the Baltimore defense to focus singularly on Denver's passing game. On the other side of the ball, the Ravens now sport a true focus on Torrey Smith as their number 1 receiver, and I as a fan am also intrigued by the likes of Tandon Doss and Marlon Brown. The Ravens offensive line is intact, Ray Rice is healthy. Joe Flacco is a year better. The Broncos are missing Miller and Bailey, their two best defensive players, and their defense is overrated to begin with. Losing Elvis Dumervil will hurt more than they realize, and he just might show them tonight.

Is it an upset?

The better team won. Just like I've said from the start of training camp Denver is the best team in the league and we have ahnilated the Super Bowl champs without 2 of our best players. Teams better watch out

• Downvote 4

The Ravens were ass. The Broncos won't be this high again the rest of the year, even with the leagues easiest schedule. They will get DESTROYED come playoff time. Enjoy the ride until then, Denver.

The Ravens were ass. The Broncos won't be this high again the rest of the year, even with the leagues easiest schedule. They will get DESTROYED come playoff time. Enjoy the ride until then, Denver.

Haha won't get this high again? The manning bowl? Shanahans return to Denver? New England? The texans? The colts? Dude get over it. Like I've said, Denver has the potential to be one of the best teams that have taken the field for a long time and we spanked the ravens without Von miller and champ bailey

Edited by Crash
  • Downvote 4

It's still warm in Mile High. Wait till January when Peyton is freezing his ass off.

Haha won't get this high again? The manning bowl? Shanahans return to Denver? New England? The texans? The colts? Dude get over it. Like I've said, Denver has the potential to be one of the best teams that have taken the field for a long time and we spanked the ravens without Von miller and champ bailey

That's one of those games you don't see that often, and you are taking it for granted.. Thinking you will reach that pinnacle repeatedly over the course of the season is nothing but chasing waterfalls on your end. You are a spoiled fan, and I wish the Broncos would suck this year... However, with the easiest schedule in the league, there are plenty of blowouts ahead to boost your false sense of security.

That's one of those games you don't see that often, and you are taking it for granted.. Thinking you will reach that pinnacle repeatedly over the course of the season is nothing but chasing waterfalls on your end. You are a spoiled fan, and I wish the Broncos would suck this year... However, with the easiest schedule in the league, there are plenty of blowouts ahead to boost your false sense of security.

Doubt all you want and have all the excuses you want but Denver didnt even play our best ball and didnt have our all our best players on the field. We played sloppy football with a lot of mistakes. We spanked the ravens without miller and without champ.

Easiest schedule lol!! And last year we started out the year with the toughest schedule. Like I have continued to say, Elway has built a deeply talented football team and it showed on the field

• Downvote 4

Doubt all you want and have all the excuses you want but Denver didnt even play our best ball and didnt have our all our best players on the field. We played sloppy football with a lot of mistakes. We spanked the ravens without miller and without champ.

Easiest schedule lol!! And last year we started out the year with the toughest schedule. Like I have continued to say, Elway has built a deeply talented football team and it showed on the field

You act like the Ravens put their best foot forward, and your sloppy team still came out and dominated. You dominated a team that played very very badly tonight -- as good teams should. Congratulations, but your over confidence now will only make your tears sweeter when the Broncos get bounced from the playoffs. Nowing this early in the season that your team has no shot at winning a championship must take it's toll, I am sure... Again, be happy. Rejoice... Because that will disappear when it matters the most.

Even though the Ravens weren't ready for it with their soft coverage skills, not every team is going to allow Peyton to throw lobs for TDs every time he drops back. His arm is completely shot... And while his intelligence and manipulation of defenses will carry the offense far, it will all come crashing down in the end.

I couldn't watch the game, so all I have is the stats to go off of, but it seems the Broncos will do just fine this year, their division is a joke for starters, but the addition of Welker is a perfect fit for Manning. Not a lot of yards, but I'd be surprised to find out if most of the 9 receptions weren't drive extending first downs, from a second or third look Peyton didn't have last year. When they get Von Miller back, the result is obvious, but also realize the running game will improve if they can get their o-line healthy. I always thought Peyton was the polar opposite of his brother in terms of near perfect in the regular season, but, well, not exactly clutch in the playoffs. However in the AFC on the whole, they have a better than fair shot at reaching the superbowl.

You act like the Ravens put their best foot forward, and your sloppy team still came out and dominated. You dominated a team that played very very badly tonight -- as good teams should. Congratulations, but your over confidence now will only make your tears sweeter when the Broncos get bounced from the playoffs. Nowing this early in the season that your team has no shot at winning a championship must take it's toll, I am sure... Again, be happy. Rejoice... Because that will disappear when it matters the most.

Even though the Ravens weren't ready for it with their soft coverage skills, not every team is going to allow Peyton to throw lobs for TDs every time he drops back. His arm is completely shot... And while his intelligence and manipulation of defenses will carry the offense far, it will all come crashing down in the end.

Oh the irony, I'm sure it must suck having to repeat yourself considering you were probably saying this same exact thing about John Elway 15 years ago

• Downvote 1

Since you wanted to bring up injuries. Ravens didn't have Pitta for the entire game. Oher, Jones both got hurt during the game. So neither team was 100%.

• Upvote 1