Vin

Vikings @ Lions

Adrian Peterson busted through defenses on his way to one of the best seasons in NFL history for a running back while guiding the Minnesota Vikings to a surprising playoff appearance in 2012.

Calvin Johnson's record-setting performance didn't have the same effect on the Detroit Lions, who finished below .500 for the 11th time in 12 years.

Their teams will look for each superstar to take some pressure off their much-maligned quarterbacks as Minnesota visits Detroit in Sunday's season opener.

Peterson rushed for 2,097 yards - nine shy of breaking Eric Dickerson's single-season record - as Minnesota won its last four games to finish 10-6. His only 100-yard performance through the first six was a 102-yard effort in a 20-13 win at Detroit on Sept. 30, and he ran for 171 and a touchdown against the Lions in a 34-24 victory Nov. 11.

Johnson caught 12 passes for 207 yards and a touchdown in the last meeting, then broke Jerry Rice's single-season record by finishing with 1,964 yards on a career-best 122 receptions.

That defeat, though, began an eight-game losing streak to end a 4-12 season for Johnson and the Lions. While Peterson had the most team success last season, Vikings coach Leslie Frazier believes they are two of the most dynamic players in the NFL.

"He's one of those guys, much like with Adrian, you have to have a plan for Calvin Johnson," Frazier. "Even though you may know he's going to get the football, you can't always stop what he does.

"They're two great players, and they make it hard for any defense."

Peterson rushed for 99 yards in a 24-10 wild-card loss to Green Bay, but the story was a contusion to Christian Ponder's throwing arm that kept him from playing in that contest.

It marked another disappointment in an already lackluster career for Ponder, who has only two 300-yard games and has completed just 59.3 percent of his passes in 26 starts.

Minnesota brought in plenty of receiving help, signing Greg Jennings from the Packers and drafting Cordarrelle Patterson in the first round to help make up for the loss of Percy Harvin, who was traded to Seattle.

"I'm just fully confident in what I'm doing," Ponder said. "With the pieces that we brought in around me this year, it's going to make my job easier. ... I just expect to be overall a better quarterback."

Not to mention he still has Peterson behind him as the Vikings center the majority of their offense around their star back. Minnesota matched a franchise record with 2,634 rushing yards last season, while Ponder finished 21st in the league in pass attempts.

"We were vanilla in some respects. But the way we're set up, we're not going to be very exotic in the passing game," Frazier said. "We put a heavy emphasis on what we do in the run game."

That's not the case in Detroit, especially with a weapon like Johnson. However, a disappointing season has led to questions about quarterback Matthew Stafford after dipping from 10-6 and a playoff appearance in 2011.

Stafford threw for 4,967 yards and 20 touchdowns, less than half of his career-best 41 two years ago. He's just 1-22 against teams that end the season .500 or better.

"This is a team sport, but at the same time, in this league especially, if your quarterback plays well, you've got a chance to win the game. I'm no stranger to that," said Stafford, who in July received a $53 million, three-year extension through 2017.

"I've been through a 10-6 season, been through a 4-12 season. I'm determined to be on the winning end of it."

Detroit signed Reggie Bush to add some stability to a running game that finished 23rd in the NFL with 100.8 yards per game. The offense as a whole ranked third, averaging 408.8 yards.

Bush also is expected to be a target for Stafford out of the backfield, but he's certainly aware that Johnson will be the main focus of the offense.

"I didn't understand what a freak of nature he is until I got here and saw some of the stuff that he does," Bush said. "That's why they call him Megatron. It's going to be fun to play with him this year. For a running back like me, it's a dream come true. I love having a guy like that on the outside. I definitely feel like we're going to complement each other."

Peterson has averaged 105.9 yards rushing and scored nine TDs in 11 games against the Lions, with Minnesota winning eight.

Detroit might have an easier time putting pressure on Ponder and slowing Peterson if defensive end Ziggy Ansah can play. The No. 5 overall pick in the draft suffered a concussion in practice late in the preseason, but he practiced Friday and is probable.

Copyright 2013 by STATS LLC.

:Vikings: 24

:Lions: 27

Should be a fun game. Peterson and Calvin attempt to replicate record seasons, and there are other players there too. =O

Ponder is trash. Detroit can turn this game into a track meet. Minnesota was so great at running the ball, and that natural advantage for their defense didn't help them rise above middle of the pack. Detroit will keep a pace that will force Ponder to have to win the game. Fat chance of that happening:

:Vikings: 17

I think this will be a close game, but I think the Lions squeak out a win. Expecting both Megatron and AP to have monster games.

:Lions: 31

This was a tough one but I'm going against the popular vote and say the Vikings win this one. I think the Lions pass rush can be dangerous but we see a lot of A.P and I'm going with his track record in Lions games. I'm also intrigued in Cordarrelle Patterson in the passing game and special teams. Going to take the Vikings.

:Vikings: 28

:Lions: 24

Vikings declared FS Mistral Raymond, QB Mcleod Bethel-Thompson, LB Gerald Hodges, LB Michael Mauti, OG Jeff Baca, DE George Johnson and DT Kevin Williams inactive for Sunday's opener against the Lions.

Lions declared RB Mikel Leshoure, WR Ryan Broyles, QB Kellen Moore, CB Jonte Green, OG Leroy Harris, OT LaAdrian Waddle, and DE Devin Taylor inactive for Sunday's opener against the Vikings.

Leshoure is a healthy scratch after playing the entire preseason. Broyles is still not completely recovered from his knee issues as he recovers from back-to-back ACL tears. Nate Burleson and Pat Edwards will serve as the Lions' top two receivers behind Calvin Johnson. Ziggy Ansah (concussion) is active and starting.

All things considered, I'm really excited for this season. We could of scored 40+ if it wasn't for some mental errors, and the Vikings only scored on the big plays that we are still susceptible to due to our attack defense.

More analysis later, but a lot of promise on both sides of the ball.

Fucking pathetic.

EDIT:

So... Ponder showed us one thing: he's not our QB. 3 INTs? I don't give a damn if they are tips, that is pathetic. The Lions really shut down AP outside of the 1st run, but 18 carries? Come on! This is the best fucking runningback in the league, and you give him under 20 carries?

AP impressed me today, aside from his fumble. He produced. He was the only one to produce. Our defense did good, from what I can tell, but holy shit our 4 turnovers probably lost this game for us. Well; that and our inability to score off of something that isn't a big play.

EDIT2: Actually, the fumble wasn't even the fault of Adrian Peterson. It was a combination of Fusco and Ponder fucking up the play and botching the hand-off. Wow. Fucking Wow.

We might as well suck this year so we can get a new QB.

Edited by Vikingfan465

AP had the one big run, then didnt he get something like 15 yards on his other 17 carries?

AP had the one big run, then didnt he get something like 15 yards on his other 17 carries?

Yeah; it's ridiculous. From what I've heard, the OL was pretty bad today, but you have to give Detroit credit for that. Even with a horrible line, AP would do better than 15 yards on 17 carries.

Incredibly impressed by Reggie Bush, this is the perfect offense for his style of play, and he responded with a hell of a game.

Floyd has mad potential though. He was put in a tough position today being put into the role of Kevin Williams, and him and Warford + Sims went at it a couple times.

To have this many rookies play/start is a great feeling. The mental mistakes are gonna be the death of us though, they were the reasons we lost so many close games last year and may be the reason we lose a lot of close games this year as well.

If the Lions would just calm down, they might be a 10 win team, but they're just so...dumb sometimes. Makes no sense. The Suh play on Sullivan warrants a suspension. I'd like to see him put his past in his past, but he keeps letting it leak into his present.

I'm not going to say that this won the game for the Lions, but on their drive with which they went up 2 scores, two bullshit penalties extended the drive. The roughing penalty was just awful. The DPI penalty on the sideline throw to Johnson was even worse. Not only was the ball uncatchable, the contact was 50/50. Fuck that nonsense. The Vikings didn't deserve to win, but it really felt like the ability to reclaim a lead was taken from them by people who weren't playing the game.

Reggie Bush isn't going to prove me wrong, but I thought he'd be a complete flop. He won't play like that again, but he'll be dangerous enough to open it up for other players.

They should just fucking cut Pettigrew. Seriously.

That Lions defense was nasty. They kept putting Minnesota in second and very long, which forced Ponder to throw. He looked better today than people will tell you, but only Jerome Simpson showed up to play, and Patterson wasn't given enough reps.

Greg Jennings needs to run the slot. That's where he was successful in Green Bay. That's where he'll be successful in Minnesota. And for the love of Christ, why isn't Desmond Bishop getting more minutes? Fuck this Marvin Mitchell bullshit.

The Vikings secondary, often considered a weak spot, was actually quite impressive today. They held Johnson in check, and Smith just had a monster game. It's really too bad the front 7 didn't hold up.

The Vikings need Kevin Williams. Bad.

The Lions need some goddamn composure, but Jim Schwartz obviously isn't the coach to instill that in this team.

The difference between the Lions being a real threat or, at most, a first round punching bag, is the ability to calm the hell down. They don't act like they've been there before, and while it's true that they're not used to success, the easiest way to burn out a flame prematurely is to sacrifice the greater whole for the momentary bliss. They're missing perspective, if that makes sense.

:Vikings: 14

:Lions: 34

What played out in this game basically illustrates why I don't like the Vikings this season. It looked like AP was going to put the team on his back, but after the first carry he didn't do much. So it was left to Ponder to keep up with the Lions and he wasn't equal to the task. This team is close, but I think they'll need to draft a QB in 2014.

It must be a relief for Detriot fans to see your offense run the ball and complete passes to guys not named Johnson.

If the Lions would just calm down, they might be a 10 win team, but they're just so...dumb sometimes. Makes no sense. The Suh play on Sullivan warrants a suspension. I'd like to see him put his past in his past, but he keeps letting it leak into his present.

I'm not going to say that this won the game for the Lions, but on their drive with which they went up 2 scores, two bullshit penalties extended the drive. The roughing penalty was just awful. The DPI penalty on the sideline throw to Johnson was even worse. Not only was the ball uncatchable, the contact was 50/50. Fuck that nonsense. The Vikings didn't deserve to win, but it really felt like the ability to reclaim a lead was taken from them by people who weren't playing the game.

Reggie Bush isn't going to prove me wrong, but I thought he'd be a complete flop. He won't play like that again, but he'll be dangerous enough to open it up for other players.

They should just fucking cut Pettigrew. Seriously.

That Lions defense was nasty. They kept putting Minnesota in second and very long, which forced Ponder to throw. He looked better today than people will tell you, but only Jerome Simpson showed up to play, and Patterson wasn't given enough reps.

Greg Jennings needs to run the slot. That's where he was successful in Green Bay. That's where he'll be successful in Minnesota. And for the love of Christ, why isn't Desmond Bishop getting more minutes? Fuck this Marvin Mitchell bullshit.

The Vikings secondary, often considered a weak spot, was actually quite impressive today. They held Johnson in check, and Smith just had a monster game. It's really too bad the front 7 didn't hold up.

The Vikings need Kevin Williams. Bad.

The Lions need some goddamn composure, but Jim Schwartz obviously isn't the coach to instill that in this team.

The difference between the Lions being a real threat or, at most, a first round punching bag, is the ability to calm the hell down. They don't act like they've been there before, and while it's true that they're not used to success, the easiest way to burn out a flame prematurely is to sacrifice the greater whole for the momentary bliss. They're missing perspective, if that makes sense.

Pettigrew is driving me mad. He's a good blocker at times, but that's it. Seeing him play so much drives me nuts.

I don't think Suh's block warrants a suspension. Call me naive, but I believe his statements that he and Sullivan conversed about it and that it was accidental.