Vin

Packers @ Vikings

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131027016&home=16&vis=9

(AP) -- Greg Jennings says that his comments about the Green Bay Packers weren't serious.

He's got enough to worry with his Minnesota Vikings making another change at quarterback.

Christian Ponder is back as the starter for Sunday night's final Metrodome matchup between these NFC North rivals, who are meeting for the first time since the playoffs last season.

The storyline for this game figured to be Jennings, who spent the previous seven years with Green Bay (4-2) before signing a five-year deal with Minnesota (1-5) in March. Jennings not only performed the same switch of sides in this rivalry as Brett Favre's, he took the extra step of criticizing Aaron Rodgers' leadership in an offseason interview with a Minneapolis newspaper.

Jennings, who refused to call the quarterback by name then, now claims that he was just joking around.

"If Aaron knows me like he's known me the past seven years, then he knows I'm not one of those guys that wishes ill on anyone or just tries to stand out and be apart from the team," Jennings said. "Hopefully, he knows that."

Rodgers may know Jennings better than any of his current team's QBs. This will mark the third straight week Jennings will be working with a new starter under center, with Ponder getting the call after he started the first three games.

That's because Josh Freeman, signed by Minnesota on Oct. 7 after he was cut by Tampa Bay four days earlier, has concussion-like symptoms. Freeman was 20 of 53 for 190 yards and an interception in his Vikings debut, a 23-7 road loss to the New York Giants on Monday.

Minnesota coach Leslie Frazier said that Ponder will practice with the first unit this week. With the Vikings facing a short week, Ponder is expected to start.

"At the quarterback position, you want to know who is going to be lining up week-in and week-out," Frazier said. "But that's the circumstance where we are and Christian will do a good job for us on Sunday night."

Jennings is trying to rally behind Ponder after Freeman started last week and Matt Cassel the two previous contests.

"It doesn't matter who it is, we have to help him be successful and he has to help us be successful so it's Christian this week, that's who we're rolling with, that's who we're rooting for," Jennings said.

Ponder was out with a triceps injury when Minnesota fell 24-10 at Green Bay in a wild-card game last season. Joe Webb was forced into action that day.

The Vikings earned that postseason berth with a 37-34 home win over the Packers the week before on Blair Walsh's 29-yard field goal as time expired. Adrian Peterson rushed for 199 yards on 34 carries, cementing his first MVP award.

Peterson rushed for 409 yards as these teams split their regular-season meetings last season before he gained 99 on 22 carries in the playoff game.

However, he was held to a season-low 28 yards on 13 carries Monday and now faces a Packers defense that ranks first in the NFC against the run by yielding 79.0 yards per game.

"They do a good job on defense of bottling things up and trying to defend the run," Frazier said.

The injury-plagued Packers have won three straight after Rodgers threw for three scores in a 31-13 home victory over Cleveland last Sunday. However, they lost tight end Jermichael Finley to a significant neck injury.

Green Bay played that contest without linebackers Clay Matthews, Nick Perry and Brad Jones as well as receivers Randall Cobb and James Jones. James Jones seems to be the most likely to return from that group.

"We're going to have 46 guys lined up against the Minnesota Vikings and we're going to the Metrodome to win," coach Mike McCarthy said.

Second-year receiver Jarrett Boykin had eight catches for 103 yards and a TD in his first career start last week. Jordy Nelson is the only mainstay who is definitely available from a receiving corps that was once considered one of the best in the NFL.

Jennings was a longtime part of that group, combining with Rodgers for 425 receptions and 53 touchdowns in the previous seven seasons.

"I still have a love for those fans and for that organization, absolutely, and the guys within that locker room, but I'm developing new ties and new relationships over here," Jennings said.

Rodgers was sacked 10 times by Minnesota last season - four by Jared Allen. The star defensive end has a team-high four sacks this season, but the Vikings have only 12 for the fifth-lowest total in the league.

The Packers are 14-16 at the Metrodome, where the Vikings are playing for the final season.

Flex scheduling needs to be available year round.

This game is primed for an upset. So many things are lining up for the Vikings.

1. The Packers are depleted at WR, and now Finley's out.

2. Christian Ponder is starting, and he usually plays the Packers very well.

3. The Vikings defense is missing Harrison Smith, but is otherwise fairly healthy. They should be able to pressure Rodgers, and the Vikings corners should be able to contain the Packers passing game.

It comes down to Minnesota controlling Eddie Lacy. If they can keep him from going off, this will be a good game.

You know what Ponder did to the Packers last time they played, right? It's happening again.

:shifty: Not really (one can hope)

Edited by Bay

Ponder was the reason we lost @ Green Bay last year, lol.

EDIT: The run blocking has been far off this year, too. If AP can't get something going against the top run D in the NFC, then our offense is really fucked. Then again, Musgrave will only give the ball to AP like 10 times.

Edited by Vikingfan465

I said last time they played, not the game in Green Bay.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201212300min.htm

My post was in response to Bware. Lol.

lol sorry man.

I just want to make sure to stop AP... Obviously I want to win, but not giving up 500 rushing yards is my first priority. :laugh:

Edit: Oh, actually 2nd priority. First is 'murdering' Greg Jennings

Edited by Favre4Ever

Adrian Peterson (hamstring) is active for Week 8, as expected.

Peterson was held out of Wednesday's practice, but his status for Sunday night's game was never in doubt.
Inactive for the Vikings are QB Josh Freeman, CB Shaun Prater, TE/FB Rhett Ellison, RB Matt Asiata, LG Jeff Baca, WR Rodney Smith, and DT Chase Baker.

James Jones (knee) is inactive for Sunday night's Week 8 game against the Vikings.

Jones has still yet to resume practicing and was officially listed as doubtful on the injury report. Jarrett Boykin will make another start opposite Jordy Nelson.
Also inactive for the Packers are LB Clay Matthews, TE Jermichael Finley, LB Nick Perry, CB James Nixon, LB Brad Jones and TE Ryan Taylor.

That inactive list depresses me. Also, that means new WR, Chris Harper is active. Wonder if he gets into any of the action tonight.

Good game from the Pack, not so much from the Vikes (not at all). I'm ticked that AP still isn't getting carries, but that's also because Lacey has allowed the Packers to chew up more time. Patterson came to play on ST, and somewhat on offense. Congrats to the Pack for owning our house in their last appearance here.

LOL the rest of the team implodes and it's all Ponder hate on the radio today. The guy did fine considering the constantly collapsing pocket and Green Bay chewing up tons of clock.

This kid isn't going to light the world on fire for 3 TDs and 300 yards, but Freeman and Cassel are going to do even less. The expectations for Ponder are ridiculous. He can't play a decent group of games (Chicago, Cleveland, now Green Bay) and even catch a break.

*defense gets carved up by Aaron Rodgers*

MAN FUCK PONDER!

Well, they want to make him the scapegoat for their season, which is ridiculous. He is the least of their problems. With proper schematics, the Vikings would have won 3-4 games already.

I agree with you here - Ponder wasn't why we lost last night. Not being to get off the field on 3rd down is what killed us. Not being able to block for Peterson is what killed us. Not being able to sustain the pocket for any defensive scheme that wasn't Prevent defense is what killed us. I think Frazier can stay if and only if he takes over the DC responsibilities. He was an excellent DC for us, and our defense has gone down hill since he left. Now, I'm not saying it's ALL Alan William's fault; our defense sucks partly because they have no heart. They have no intensity at all. It's ridiculous. That being said, I think Frazier taking the reigns again would be beneficial.

We also need a good OC.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I don't think Ponder is our future. No one should... we need to suck bad enough for Mariota or Bridgewater, which will be awful to watch.

Edited by Vikingfan465

Was the Ponder the reason the Vikings lost? Probably not. Green Bay had one of their best nights converting 3rd and 4th downs in franchise history. It was a surgical offense, and something I hope we continue.

With that said, how many teams are winning football games with their QB throwing for fewer than 100 yards midway through the 4th quarter? He needs to be better. And the Vikings offense NEEDS to get their play makers involved. Rudolph - Jennings - Patterson is a solid receiving group, IMO.

The offense is just being severely mishandled.

• Upvote 1

3. The Vikings defense is missing Harrison Smith, but is otherwise fairly healthy. They should be able to pressure Rodgers, and the Vikings corners should be able to contain the Packers passing game.

Bware seems to consistently overrate both of his teams secondaries.

First it was "Dallas can contain Calvin Johnson," and this one is "The Vikes corners should be able to contain the Packers passing game." The Vikes defense has been godawful this year, not sure why anyone would think they can stop A-Rod.

Bware seems to consistently overrate both of his teams secondaries.

First it was "Dallas can contain Calvin Johnson," and this one is "The Vikes corners should be able to contain the Packers passing game." The Vikes defense has been godawful this year, not sure why anyone would think they can stop A-Rod.

Rodgers is great, but he was probably basing his prediction off the fact that 3 of our 4 top receiving threats were out. And honestly, if we hadn't changed our offensive scheme slightly to utilize the short game more, they probably have more success stopping us.

When our offense is is in that surgical, high-efficiency mode, I don't think anyone in the league can stop us. It's a shame we don't use it more often. I realize the competition hasn't exactly been there, but look at what we have done with No Cobb, Jones, or Finley. Jarrett Boykin is shining, and Myles White as had a couple of nice plays as well.

Imagine doing all of those things WITH Cobb, Finley, and Jones. The results would be exceptional.