Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Browns @ Patriots

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131208017&home=17&vis=5

(AP) -- The New England Patriots are hoping to get their prolific offense going much sooner in games as they pursue the AFC's top seed.

The Patriots may have a good chance to do that Sunday against a team giving up plenty of first-half points, and they could clinch a fifth straight AFC East title as they host record-breaking Josh Gordon and the Cleveland Browns.

New England (9-3) has a three-game lead on Miami in the East and will wrap up the division with a victory Sunday along with a loss or tie by the Dolphins in Pittsburgh. The Patriots trail Denver by one game for the best record in the conference but own the tiebreaker thanks to their 34-31 overtime win over the Broncos on Nov. 24.

After falling behind 24-0 at the half in that contest, New England trailed by double digits after the first 30 minutes last Sunday in Houston before rallying to beat the NFL-worst Texans 34-31.

The Patriots, outscored 34-7 in the first quarter of their past three games, have been losing at halftime in four of the last five. They've outscored opponents 133-56 after intermission over that span, and scored on each of their first five possessions of the second half in their last two.

"Coach will come in at halftime and say 'OK, these are the things we're going to have to do well to move the ball,'" said Tom Brady, who has completed 73.0 percent of his passes for an average of 233 yards in the second half of his last three games.

Brady put up big numbers in the last two comeback victories, throwing for 715 yards with five touchdowns and one interception. While Brady has thrown for seven scores and five INTs in six road games, he has 12 TDs and three picks at home as the Patriots have gone 6-0.

Julian Edelman has provided a spark with 18 catches for 211 yards and two scores in the last two games, and Rob Gronkowski has hauled in a touchdown pass in four straight while totaling 419 yards.

"We've got to start playing better football in the first half, and come out with a better start, and move the ball better," said Gronkowski, who had six catches for 127 yards last week.

The Patriots will try to make that happen against a Cleveland team that has fallen behind by a 64-30 margin in the first half and allowed a total of 100 points during its three-game losing streak. The last six opponents have averaged 18.5 first-half points.

Trailing 20-14 at halftime against visiting Jacksonville last Sunday, the Browns took a 28-25 lead with 3:55 remaining on Gordon's 95-yard touchdown grab from Brandon Weeden. However, Cecil Shorts beat standout cornerback Joe Haden for a 20-yard TD catch with 40 seconds left to give the Jaguars a 32-28 victory.

Gordon had two touchdowns among his 10 catches for a team-record 261 yards, bettering his own mark of 237 from the previous week against Pittsburgh. Besides becoming the first player with consecutive 200-yard games, Gordon's 498 yards in two games and 623 in three are both league records.

"You're seeing the product of his hard work and his commitment to what he's been doing," coach Rob Chudzinski said. "It's no surprise to me."

Gordon could have a tough time continuing his hot streak given New England's 10th-ranked pass defense (224.0 yards per game) and Cleveland's uncertainty at quarterback.

Brandon Weeden, who threw for a career-high 370 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, was diagnosed with a concussion following last Sunday's loss.

Weeden only started because Jason Campbell was out with a concussion. Campbell was cleared to practice Thursday, and as long as he passes a concussion test by an independent neurologist, he may be able to face the Patriots.

If both Weeden and Campbell remain sidelined, the Browns (4-8) will either start a quarterback who has never thrown a regular-season NFL pass or one who hasn't attempted one since 2011.

Alex Tanney, who has no regular-season experience, was signed off Dallas' practice squad last week and Caleb Hanie was added Tuesday. Hanie, released by Baltimore in August, spent four years backing up Jay Cutler in Chicago and was third on Denver's depth chart last season.

The Browns have lost five straight in Foxborough dating to Oct. 25, 1992, but they upset the Patriots 34-14 in 2010 in the teams' last meeting as Brady was held to 19 of 36 for 224 yards.

Browns gonna win.

No Weeden, No problems for the Patriots.

They'll still win, but we might actually have a close game.

I was almost able to bask in the glory.

Edited by Vin

I would feel bad for Cleveland fans but they took out Gronk, so fuck you all. I hope the Browns are forever mediocre.

I don't know why the Browns went for a 2 pt conversion with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. That was really retarded and it cost them the game.

Edited by BradyFan81
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't worry. Refs can't call back a torn ACL.

• Downvote 2

I would feel bad for Cleveland fans but they took out Gronk, so fuck you all. I hope the Browns are forever mediocre.

I don't know why the Browns went for a 2 pt conversion with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. That was really retarded and it cost them the game.

The Browns fans enjoy being mediocre. Didn't you know that?

Blame the NFL for Gronk being taken out, not the Browns. It's the NFL's ridiculous focus on high hits that has caused safeties like TJ Ward to be coached to go low, which is exactly what he just did.

And you know a re-focus toward limiting hits like that is coming next. They're already doing it against quarterbacks.

Blame the NFL for Gronk being taken out, not the Browns. It's the NFL's ridiculous focus on high hits that has caused safeties like TJ Ward to be coached to go low, which is exactly what he just did.

Yep. Go low, or get flagged. Great job, Goodell and the owners. You've saved Gronk from getting his bell rung!

Wait, why is everyone acting like low hits on players has never happened before until today, especially from smaller players taking on much bigger players. I think most everyone who is trying to tackle a player who has an eight inch and sixty-five pound advantage is going to go low.

• Upvote 1

unfuckingbelieveable.

Should have never even put ourselves in that situation. With any competent offense we would have been up by 30 points at the half.

And even if we were I doubt it would have mattered anyways.

This team is just destined to suck.

Wait, why is everyone acting like low hits on players has never happened before until today, especially from smaller players taking on much bigger players. I think most everyone who is trying to tackle a player who has an eight inch and sixty-five pound advantage is going to go low.

Usually I see low hits on big bell cow RBs. I don't really see knee shots when a receiver just came down with a pass. Usually the defender goes high to try to jar the ball loose, but you can't do that anymore. Smart play by Ward, that's exactly what the league wants.

I reckon

NFL needs to fucking realize, injuries will happen regardless. Implementing stupid rules does shit all and causes even more problems/worse injuries like this

fucking fuck Goodell and co.

unfuckingbelieveable.

Should have never even put ourselves in that situation. With any competent offense we would have been up by 30 points at the half.

And even if we were I doubt it would have mattered anyways.

This team is just destined to suck.

Was the offense really the issue? Jason Campbell lit it up. Patriots spied on you guys during the week for practice, knew your adjustments and countered accordingly.

Cheaters never win, though. Pats will get their cumuppins.

• Downvote 2

I'm all for laughing at the Browns, but that defensive pass interference call was horseshit and a half.

Good. The NFL owed the Pats a horseshit call. Refs called a ticky tack bullshit penalty on the Pats on a FGA in OT vs. the Jets back in October, and then you had the Luke Kuechly Snuggie debacle a couple weeks ago. I'd like to also mention that the Pats forced and recovered a fumble, but Boger's shitty crew blew the whistle rediculously early and ended up spotting the Browns 3 points.

Shit all evens out in the end.

• Upvote 1

Yeah we need an offense that can consistently finish drives...with touchdowns, something we have never been good at. Being up by only 12 points at the half with out Time of possession is unacceptable.

You guys gave up 2 scores in the last 60 seconds? ST, defense, and recording devices were the downfall of the Browns today. When you have guys like Campbell, Gordon, and Cameron playing like they did... It was enough to win.

I'm all for laughing at the Browns, but that defensive pass interference call was horseshit and a half.

Good. The NFL owed the Pats a horseshit call.

Way to promote fair referee calls.

• Upvote 1

1st drive should have been finished with a touchdown. Instead we ran 3 for 3 yards. 2 of which were draw plays.

Next drive we start moving penalty throws us off and we end up punting. Should have came away with a FG

Interception which gives us excellent field position. We move again and the offense stalls yet again at around the Patriots 20. Due to poor playcalling, execution and another penalty. I don't think a Touchdown is to much to ask here.

We have 2 more drives which eventually stall around midfield. Unacceptable. I can't expect them to move and score every time but coming away in the first two quarters with 6 points. Terrible. Defense played lights out.

I have seen to many Browns games. I knew those two measly field goals were going to come back and bite us in the ass. And they did.

Defense continues to play highly throughout the third aside from the last Patriots drive. We finally come away with a pair of TD's. Two point conversion attempt was all around pitiful.

Yet another drive to open that 4th that stalls at midfield.

Defense lets Tom Brady dink and dunk them all the way up the field letting them stop the clock the whole way.

I'm not going to assign to much blame to special teams. Gostkowski's onside was just textbook perfect. Bullshit PI call and the rest is history.

The defense gave up two bad drives that resulted in 16 points. A sum which should have easily been covered by our offense but was not because they failed to move the ball into FG range or finish drives that should have been touchdowns. This game should have been a blowout. Offense failed to capitalize in the first half and it cost us.

You already scored 26... If you really needed the extra 16 points, you're going to be in rough shape moving forward regardless if you won the game today or not. If you need your offense to score 42 points, you have much larger issues. :yep:

3, points 7 points, 26 points, 42 points. Doesn't matter. They had the opportunity, didn't take it. Not good. I'd be saying the same exact thing had we won the game. Should have never been in that position.

When the offense had multiple opportunities to score and run down the clock they didn't

When the defense had the opportunity to stop the Patriots they didn't

When the special teams had the opportunity to save the game, they didn't

We have issues everywhere, but no where more than the offense.

What is it going to take for the Browns to get over that hump. What are the primary issues that would solve the above failures? Is it the talent (or lack thereof)? Coaching? Management / Drafting ?

It's a general mix of all of these. All of which were on display on the field.

Lack of Consistency. I honestly had no idea who was starting at QB today until I turned on the game and saw Campbell running out there. Defense played lights out in the first half. Offense wasn't taking advantage in the first half.

Lack of talent. Our LBs were exposed in coverage on several occasions on different drives. Vereen was making them look silly for trying.

Bad playcalling was evident to anyone watching some of those drives.

Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Phil Taylor, Gordon, Cameron, Jackson, Sheard, Thomas all of our core guys were drafted by us. Which is excellent. If that continues, our issues should resolve themselves.