BucD

Texans Fire Kubiak

This is what happens when you bench your up and coming QB for captain mediocrity, Matt Schaub.

I'm sorry, Gary, but you let your young QB work out the kinks when your season is lost. You got what you deserved.

Because he was at the time. This was before Russell Wilson was even in the discussion.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay First" that, while the Texans "are getting their ducks in a row, trying to figure out where they're going to proceed," contact already has been made with at least one potential candidate to replace the fired Gary Kubiak.

Houston's decision-makers have spoken with formerChicago Bears coach Lovie Smith, a source with knowledge of the team's thinking told Rapoport.

NFL.com

Are we gonna get Chicago south in Houston?

Something tells me Houston doesn't draft a QB 1st overall. :shrug:

yeah, I think Keenum's shown enough that a new HC will think he can work with him

yeah, I think Keenum's shown enough that a new HC will think he can work with him

No way guys. New head coaches virtually always hand pick their own quarterback. Keenum has shown flashes of brilliance, but more often than not he's looked like just a backup in my eyes. The new coach should give Keenum the opportunity to compete for the starting job, but whether it's Bridgewater or Manziel or whoever I don't see Keenum coming out on top.

Rex Grossman has his plane booked already.

No way guys. New head coaches virtually always hand pick their own quarterback. Keenum has shown flashes of brilliance, but more often than not he's looked like just a backup in my eyes. The new coach should give Keenum the opportunity to compete for the starting job, but whether it's Bridgewater or Manziel or whoever I don't see Keenum coming out on top.

fair enough, especially if they end up holding the #1 overall pick, which is looking quite likely

You realize whats going to happen if Houston gets Lovie.

He's going to sign Jay Cutler after he is released by the Bears this offseason.

You realize whats going to happen if Houston gets Lovie.

He's going to sign Jay Cutler after he is released by the Bears this offseason.

nope_doctor_who.gif

• Upvote 1

See, I have thought about that a lot. Will Lovie go after Jay pretty hard because of the familiarity, or is he like... Okay, the offense is what killed me last time and jay was part of that... So I am going to stay away.

ooch kinda piggybacked off me and maybe made it seem like I was saying something like that but I never, ever, never said any coach would think Keenum is the guy (because he isn't, ever.) I'm just saying I don't think the Texans draft a QB 1st overall. I think they go veteran. Be it Cutler, be it a trade for Cousins (:rofl:) whatever. McNair has stated he is "not rebuilding." Nothing says rebuilding like drafting a rookie Quarterback :shrug: I think they go vet at QB.

To those that are STILL riding the Gruden train, he is without a doubt the worst choice for HC in the case of the Texans. He'd get there and immediately start defending every QB on the roster.

"LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THIS SCHAUB GUY! HE'S A REAL SCRAPPY GUY WHO MAKES ALL THE THROWS! IF HE CAN LIMIT THE PICK SIXES, WATCH OUT FOR THIS GUY! HE'S DEFINITELY A STARTER IN THIS LEAGUE!"

"WHAT CAN I SAY ABOUT THIS CASE KEENUM KID?!?!? HE'S YOUNG, DETERMINED, AND EXTREMELY TALENTED! I'VE SEEN THIS KID MAKE THROWS THAT JUST LEAVE ME SPEECHLESS! HE REMINDS ME OF A YOUNG BRETT FAVRE WITH THE WAY HE CAN EXTEND PLAYS!"

"T.J. YATES IS A DETERMINED QB WITH PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE! HE'S EVEN GOT A PLAYOFF WIN UNDER HIS BELT! HE'S EXTREMELY PATIENT—FROM THE POCKET AND THE BENCH, AND HE DOESN'T TAKE UNNECESSARY RISKS! THIS GUY CAN DEFINITELY MAKE AN IMPACT IN THE NFL!"

Then, just to cover every base, he goes out and signs Jay Cutler after drafting Johnny Manziel with the first overall pick. lolGruden.

• Upvote 1

To those that are STILL riding the Gruden train, he is without a doubt the worst choice for HC in the case of the Texans. He'd get there and immediately start defending every QB on the roster.

Unlikely he's the same way as a coach as he is as a commentator. As a commentator attempting to get back into coaching, being super negative isn't exactly the way to go.

Unlikely he's the same way as a coach as he is as a commentator. As a commentator attempting to get back into coaching, being super negative isn't exactly the way to go.

but he WAS that way as a coach. I'm sure you don't remember, but he carried 5 qb's on the roster in Tampa. None of them were any good, but he loved them all.