NFL Coach of the Year  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for?

• Andy Reid
    • Bruce Arians
    • Ron Rivera
    • Pete Carroll
    • Other (specify)

Chip was heralded for revolutionizing NFL offenses before he even had done anything. He had too much hype to be coach of the year, IMO. But it's a definite possibility.

He also had a LOT of naysayers claiming he would be a fraud:

http://southernphilly.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/college-boy/

I don't think he should be Coach of the Year but he was a very polarizing hire at the time.

Ya., for some reason I feel like Eagle fans can settle with going into the playoffs with maybe the most momentum in the league and a possible epic SB run.

Not discrediting what Chip Kelly and Bruce Arians have done by any means, but for the people who are voting for them would they still get your vote if their respective teams miss the playoffs?

That's why Rivera has my vote. Throw all "division politics" aside, I just can't see myself voting for a coach that doesn't make the playoffs.

Not discrediting what Chip Kelly and Bruce Arians have done by any means, but for the people who are voting for them would they still get your vote if their respective teams miss the playoffs?

That's why Rivera has my vote. Throw all "division politics" aside, I just can't see myself voting for a coach that doesn't make the playoffs.

sure, although it does hurt some. The big thing with the Panthers.. I think they were a decent to goo team last year. The biggest thing with them a year ago was losing super close games. They could have easily had like a 5 game swing in their record alone.

You could certainly argue that it is because of Rivera that they have turned there fortunes and have been winning those games.. And I would agree to an extent, but some years teams just stack up on the bad karma. For whatever reason, a handful of teams every year just have a lot of bad luck. Panthers were one of those teams last year, and while I don't think anyone saw them being this good... You could see that there was more there than their record indicated.

And on top of that, you have the total 180 in attitude with Cam... Maybe Rivera is responsible for that too, I dunno... but...

This team had it in them, they just needed the ball to start bouncing to them instead of away from them.

And again, none of that is really Rivera's fault.. I am not saying it as a means to degrade him or the work he has done this season. Phenomenal job, coach. :yep:

012213-gus-bradley-600.jpg Jags won 3 straight. Coach of the decade award. :yep:

Chernobyl makes a point. The mere fact that the Jags won a game, let alone 4, should put Bradley in the discussion.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Associated Press named Ron Rivera its 2013 Coach of the Year.
Rivera received 21.5 votes, beating out Chiefs coach Andy Reid (13.5) and the Patriots' Bill Belichick (7) for the award. After opening the year on a two-game losing streak, Rivera turned the Panthers' season around, leading them to a 12-4 record and first-round playoff bye. Carolina ranked second in total defense under Rivera, with Luke Kuechly and Greg Hardy both getting elected to the Pro Bowl. Rivera was also named the PFWA Coach of the Year in addition to his Associated Press honors. The Panthers awarded him with a three-year contract extension following the season. Rivera will bring back his entire staff for 2014. Feb 1 - 7:01 PM

Both Arians and Rivera improved their 2012 win totals by 5. Arians did that with considerably less. And in an arguably tougher division. They beat SEA @ home as well. And with a no name running game and a former Raider/retiree at the helm.

But the chips were stacked against a back to back coty campaign. Him not receiving any votes should back that bias. Terrible ballots, please keep your politics out of my football NFL. You have lost more credibility.

Why does Arians have "considerably less?"

What you mean is simply this: Carolina has an actual QB, the Cards do not. That's pretty much the only position where the Panthers have a decided advantage. The Cards have a stacked defense, (definitely better secondary than Carolina and that front seven is no joke either), and Floyd came into his own so they have a good one two punch at WR.

While the Panthers may have more names at the RB position, I'd trade you Jonathan Stewart or DeAngelo Williams for Andre Ellington right now. Neither are worth their contract, and Ellington did just as much. Cam was nearly the #1 RB again for the third straight year.

If anyone was slighted by this, its Reid. Took a 2-14 team to 11-5, (easily could have been 12-4 had he not rested his starters because it was a meaningless game), and the playoffs and nearly took out the Colts as well. Pretty sure the Chiefs faltering down the stretch and that being a topic of conversation for so long is what took Reid down to second place.

What also was a factor is that neither Reid, Belichek or Arians were coaching for their jobs at the beginning of the year. There were definitely calls for Rivera to be fired when the Panthers started 0-2 and then again when we fell to 1-3. It's not often a coach entirely changes his philosophy as to how he coaches games.

There were several good candidates this year for CotY, but Rivera winning it is not a slight against anyone.

Edited by Thanatos19

Thanatos stop being a homer.

Yes MORE with less.

You wouldn't consider a double threat franchise QB "considerably less"? Sure you would.

I read your posts on the topic and still disagree completely. I'll even go as far to say in an imaginary tangent land where they switched divisions AZ makes the playoffs and Arians becomes first back to back coty.

• Downvote 1

W/L in KC is a non factor they were a playoff caliber roster at 2-14 and tumultuous is an understatement in regard to their 12 campaign.

W/L in KC is a non factor they were a playoff caliber roster at 2-14 and tumultuous is an understatement in regard to their 12 campaign.

Edit, I thought about it but this is a good example of android bugs I mentioned in Fix forum.

Edited by the Lions fan

Thanatos stop being a homer.

Yes MORE with less.

You wouldn't consider a double threat franchise QB "considerably less"? Sure you would.

I read your posts on the topic and still disagree completely. I'll even go as far to say in an imaginary tangent land where they switched divisions AZ makes the playoffs and Arians becomes first back to back coty.

I'm not being a homer just because I disagree with your post. I hate people who just use the fact that someone is a fan of one of the teams in the conversation to sidestep the question entirely.

I did say that the only place where Carolina had a decided advantage was at the QB position. You were making it out like the Cards were worse in other areas, when they really aren't. Just because I don't agree with you that Arians should have gotten it, doesn't make me a homer. You didn't even address anything at all lol, just went with a blanket statement that doesn't even make sense since I voted for Reid on this topic.

"Playoff caliber roster" "Went 2-14" Somehow that's supposed to be a knock against Reid? lol. Reid had a 9-win improvement, which apparently is what you're looking at. Was it not Arians who made the decision to bring Carson to Arizona? And then we're going to give him all the credit for winning 10 games in spite of Carson's struggles? Arizona was 10-6. Carolina was 12-4. Arians did not do more with less. End of story.

If Zona doesn't lose to the Rams and manages to split with the Niners, they'd have been in the playoffs instead of San Fran.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1