Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Expressions that Annoy You: Sports, Music, General Every Day, etc.

Sports:

-Pretty much anything coined by Dick Vitale.

- Referring to a game as "the game of the century". Really? Out of the literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of games that have been played throughout last hundred years in every single sport; that one game is the best of them all? Why? What negates the other excellent games from contention for that title?

General life:

- Saying "I could care less"...this implies exactly the opposite of what the person who is using the phrase means. What you mean to say is "I COULDN'T care less. The former says that there is actually a part of you that cares at least somewhat, the latter means that you have absolutely zero care at all.

I could go on for pages with the things that people say that are technically incorrect, but are so common that they are societal cliches at this point.

Edited by Duck Fallas
  • Upvote 1

- Saying "I could care less"...this implies exactly the opposite of what the person who is the phrase means. What you mean to say is "I COULDN'T care less. The former says that there is actually a part of you that cares at least somewhat, the latter means that you have absolutely zero care at all.

^

Another thing I hate is Dick Vitale and all his 'diaper dandy' garbage and the 'Dukies' easily my least favorite commentator in all sports.

I really hate when you go to Vegas to work at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) and the hookers downtown see you all dressed up like a boss and ask you if you work the Consumer Electronics Show just to see how much money you're worth. From now on when I do that shit I'm going as an undercover janitor.

Bitches. :smug:

"Nice guys finish last."

More like boring guys finish last.

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

"Nice guys finish last."

More like boring guys finish last.

More like girls don't owe you sex for being nice to them.

Guest Phailadelphia

Oh, and @Phail: These are the fucks (PPs) that we're supposed to be "taking our country back from", though that phrase annoys me, too. Like people are going to get guns and march on D.C., lmao.

Yeah, it's doubly stupid. I don't recall seeing that phrase prior to Obama being elected, which leads me to believe there may be some racial overtones to it. But if it's been around longer than that, the idea that there's going to be a revolution or a Civil War to "take America back" is equally ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

But girls do owe you sex if you show them a good time while subsequently treating them like dog shit.

:D

I find it pretty hilarious that so many people are racist online, but would never say that shit in real life when they're face to face with somebody unless they're hanging around other white people. Insert whatever phrase or word you'd like here.

"He's a good receiver, he just has a hard time catching the ball." This doesn't make sense in any other context. Example time!

"He's a good goalie, he just has a hard time keeping the puck out of the net"

"He's a good pilot, he just has a hard time avoiding crashes"

"He's a good student, he just has a hard time passing his classes"

"He's a good magician, he just has a hard time doing his tricks right"

• Upvote 1

But girls do owe you sex if you show them a good time while subsequently treating them like dog shit.

:D

Nah, that's just what gets them wet lol

I hate any and all variations of "it's just meant to be" whether it's relationships, jobs, etc. Nothing is "meant" to be. Fate does not exist.

• Upvote 1

I hate any and all variations of "it's just meant to be" whether it's relationships, jobs, etc. Nothing is "meant" to be. Fate does not exist.

I disagree that fate does not exist.

Everything we act that we take leads to the next choice, which, if you believe in God, is already laid out for you (Jeremiah 29:11). I interpret that to say that he/she/it has our destination already planned for us, therefore, everything we do in life is leading us to said end point.

People injecting race into everything. Or, "you don't like person x, so that must mean you're a racist,"

ESPN was trying to say yesterday that the reason Andrew Luck hasn't gotten the criticism that say, RG3 has, is because he's white (and vice versa with RG3). It's like, come on.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

Everything we act that we take leads to the next choice, which, if you believe in God, is already laid out for you (Jeremiah 29:11). I interpret that to say that he/she/it has our destination already planned for us, therefore, everything we do in life is leading us to said end point.

Isn't that more of an argument against free will rather than for fate?

Oh, and @Phail: These are the fucks (PPs) that we're supposed to be "taking our country back from", though that phrase annoys me, too. Like people are going to get guns and march on D.C., lmao.

Yeah, it's doubly stupid. I don't recall seeing that phrase prior to Obama being elected, which leads me to believe there may be some racial overtones to it. But if it's been around longer than that, the idea that there's going to be a revolution or a Civil War to "take America back" is equally ridiculous.

Literal thinking is literal.

Isn't that more of an argument against free will rather than for fate?

Are they not essentially the same thing?

Free will says that WE determine our path. Lack of free will says that no matter what we do, our lives will turn out the same.

Fate dictates that no matter what we do, our lives will turn out the same. Everything is already laid out for us at the moment of conception.

Guest Phailadelphia

I suppose we have different conceptions about fate and free will. To me, fate is something that will happen to you regardless of the choices you make. So ideally, you possess free will in this concept of fate. For instance, and not to be too dark here, but if your fate is to die in a car wreck on the highway...free will could determine whether you died in a wreck with a Ford F150 on I-635E or whether you died in a car wreck with a semi truck on I-35W.

Whereas a lack of free will would mean your choices are pre-determined by *something,* be it god or some kind of intelligent design or just life/karma, whatever...To me this means one might possess the idea that he/she is making independent choices but in reality those choices are instead governed by an externality from which she has no control. So this is where I get the idea that God's "plan" for everyone leans more towards a lack of free will than towards fate.

Does that make sense? Fate and free will aren't concepts to which I've given enough thought so it's entirely possible that I'm blabbering nonsensically. Definitely going to give some thought to them soon, though. It's an fun dichotomy to think about.

And this is probably all just semantic bullshit I'm geting at here but I'm enjoying following the string of thought this convo has generated in my head so feel free to disregard my wall of text here.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Phail said it when he said fate is something that happens regardless of what we do. That's what I'm talking about. When Duck says we make choices that lead us to what happens, that's exactly what I believe. We choose what happens. It has nothing to do with fate.

I understand what both of you are saying.

The concept of free will is not something that I have ever fully bought. It is merely an illusion provided by something to make us believe that we have control over our destiny.

Does that counteract what I previously stated?

This might not be a big deal to most of you but it's something that bothers me.

I absolutely hate...when Americans talk about America as 'this country'. I'm not sure why it really bothers me, but all I know is the way I hear it is in a negative light. Listen, I know we don't have everything straight here, but when you start saying 'this country' failed here, there etc...it makes me think you aren't thankful for the innumerable sacrifices that have been made to create our country. It makes you sound like you're ashamed of being an American citizen, and if you have so many problems with 'this country' why don't you go to a different country and enjoy life there?

I understand that America is fucked up in many ways, but I hate when people act like it's a terrible place to live..when there are so many other situations in the world that are far far worse then here. I'm not saying I'm all for America, I'm just saying that the lack of respect Americans give to our own country is sad.

It's a big reason why you don't see me talk about political affairs. I don't vote by choice. Say what you will, but as a non-voter it just gives me less of a reason to speak about the issues of America, which I don't. I'm thankful for what I have here, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I guess what I'm just trying to get at is the ingratitude of Americans, and the constant political talk.

I might be the only person that feels that way...but so be it

We have more than many countries, yes, which is why it's so infuriating that we squander the opportunity to be a truly great nation by continually electing morons and self-serving tyrants. You're preaching complacency in the name of patriotism. I agree that the two party system is a detriment to the U.S., but accepting your fate and lying down is the antithesis of patriotic.

We should be irate. Anger with the state of the country is not inherently "un-American". It's because we give a shit about America that we're upset.

Everyone should be irate yes, but how does being angry over a situations that is out of our hands help the situation?

Millions of Americans are mindlessly brainwashed with one side of the two party system. They constantly complain about the other side having faults...and they are both right. Both parties suck cock, so I think the issue is that since they don't want the other side gaining votes, that they are just gonna stick with their party to bolster their vote. Not considering the faults of the own group that they do vote for, because they can't possibly be as bad as the other party.

It's a sad situation, because honestly if you asked a person why they vote the way they do, a majority couldn't give you a valid reason. It goes beyond just how the people vote though, it's about who we have in any governmental leadership position currently. The fact that a president can only serve 8 years max...but a congressman or a majority of other govt. officials can serve until they die is repulsive.

Part of the reason why that presidents only serve for two terms is tradition..but the other part is so that a President can't get a massive head and think that he's a self-appointed King for life. Just look at history, and look at how many civil wars and revolutions have been fought because of terrible leaders. Terrible leaders because they had too much power, as power is gained over the period of time that they serve. To me, it should be the same with the House, Congress, and etc. You let them sit there for years and years, and they will come up with laws and ideas that the people honestly can't do much about. The process of getting rid of these people is ridiculous, and who knows what goes on behind the doors in the American government.

I'm just saying. The people have issues...and the government has issues. Until people and society wakes up to ignorance, and the demise of a government that goes far beyond the President. The voices of the few people that actually do think and care about the correct issues...won't be heard.

I see what you're saying, and I mostly agree with you, but those are just my thoughts.

Everyone should be irate yes, but how does being angry over a situations that is out of our hands help the situation?

Millions of Americans are mindlessly brainwashed with one side of the two party system. They constantly complain about the other side having faults...and they are both right. Both parties suck cock, so I think the issue is that since they don't want the other side gaining votes, that they are just gonna stick with their party to bolster their vote. Not considering the faults of the own group that they do vote for, because they can't possibly be as bad as the other party.

It's a sad situation, because honestly if you asked a person why they vote the way they do, a majority couldn't give you a valid reason. It goes beyond just how the people vote though, it's about who we have in any governmental leadership position currently. The fact that a president can only serve 8 years max...but a congressman or a majority of other govt. officials can serve until they die is repulsive.

Part of the reason why that presidents only serve for two terms is tradition..but the other part is so that a President can't get a massive head and think that he's a self-appointed King for life. Just look at history, and look at how many civil wars and revolutions have been fought because of terrible leaders. Terrible leaders because they had too much power, as power is gained over the period of time that they serve. To me, it should be the same with the House, Congress, and etc. You let them sit there for years and years, and they will come up with laws and ideas that the people honestly can't do much about. The process of getting rid of these people is ridiculous, and who knows what goes on behind the doors in the American government.

I'm just saying. The people have issues...and the government has issues. Until people and society wakes up to ignorance, and the demise of a government that goes far beyond the President. The voices of the few people that actually do think and care about the correct issues...won't be heard.

I see what you're saying, and I mostly agree with you, but those are just my thoughts.

Yeah, I agree with all of that, aside from the defeatist mindset. It may be an exercise in futility, but does that really mean we should quit trying to affect a change? You talk about what was sacrificed for our freedom; what if there had been no Revolutionary War because the colonists had decided that making it to America and sprouting the colonies was "good enough" and that fighting the British was an insurmountable task?

Yes, it takes more than just being upset with the state of things, but it does set the table.

Right. I'm not endorsing for everyone that gives a shit not to vote, honestly I'll probably be voting starting this year until the year I die. It's not a right mentality, but before I felt like I didn't know enough/understand about the other options that were out there.

Somebody who understands. It's a wonderful sight.

Those of us, like myself, who "want to take the government back" don't hate this country. It isn't that we don't respect those who died for our freedoms, it isn't that we wish to live in a communist state. We don't want to pick up our guns and start some kind of massive military insurgence on Washington, picking of politicians as we go. Don't accuse us of being ashamed to live here and don't be ignorant and tell us to move to Canada or some such place.

If anything, our fault is loving this country too much. Our fault is respecting the sacrifices made for us too much. Being content with underachieving is not a lifestyle nor mindset I ever want to adapt. I lived that way for 18ish years of my life, and then I finally opened my eyes.

Life is beautiful. Waking up every morning is a privelage, and to sit around just being okay with how this country is run because we have it better than (insert 3rd world country here) is just unfathomable to me. Why not strive for more? For better?

The founding fathers would roll over in their graves if they saw the state of the country today. If you are into politics even mildly, I am sure you have read a lot of notes, memos, letters etc from the revolutionary period. Guys like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and John Adams (amongst many other, less known activists at the time) foretold of the very hardships we face from a political standpoint.

They had the wherethal to not only predict, but to understand what it would be to topple everything they fought for. And they so desperately tried to warn us of those dangers. What do we do? We (both the people and our eelected officials) decide to ignore those warnings and march forward onto a dire path.

Those in control, namely the military industrial complex, took those warnings... And instead of heeding them, used them to their advantage to gain and retain incredible amount of power over this country and our freedoms. It's disgusting.

The freedoms, rights, and justices both natural and legal are worth fighting for just as much now as they were back in the 1770's.

These are principles to live by.. to respect... to hold and protect. They are not to be merely thrown to the side, and I refuse to sit here and simply take what is allowed of me by my rulers.

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

An observation: we Americans seem to possess the desire and willpower to incite change (and truly believe we can do so) while simultaneously absolving ourselves of any responsibility in how things have to come to be as they are now. We make grandiose claims about how we should hold our politicians accountable for their actions and remind them that they work for us without recognizing that it's us who is responsible for voting these politicians into a position of power.

IMO, real political change will not happen at a "grassroots" level. Rather, I think, to incite widespread change and reform requires a significant amount of time. Trying to wade through the bullshit to get into the heart of issues without being influenced by propaganda and rhetoric is not easy. And balancing that kind of time and effort while simultaneously holding down a full-time job, raising kids, and just managing life in general? To me, that's the largest hindrance to political change. People are more concerned with the well-being of their families than getting balls deep in political campaigns. And rightfully so.

Edited by Phailadelphia