Sign in to follow this  
Bucman

Browns’ GM Lombardi Out, CEO Banner Stepping Down

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Browns announced Tuesday that Ray Farmer was promoted to General Manager.

General Manager Michael Lombardi is “departing the organization.”

Joe Banner will also be stepping down from his role as CEO in the next two months.

Farmer will lead the team during free agency and the draft and immediately take over football operations.

President Alec Scheiner will continue to be in charge of the organization’s business operations.

This is a breaking news alert. Statements from Jimmy Haslam and Joe Banner will be added soon.

Finally the Browns make a good move.

Finally the Browns make a good move.

I thought the Trent Richardson move was pretty good. :shrug: So was the move to skip over Campbell and play Hoyer. :shrug: The Browns have made some good moves over the last season. The worst move they made was getting rid of a coach who never even got a chance. This would have been a coveted job if not for the disposable attitude that was shown to the head coaching position itself.

With a high pick for the coach to take HIS QB; a defense featuring players like Joe Haden, Phil Taylor, and T.J. Ward; and that stud of a WR Josh Gordon; if the new coach grabs a competent RB this team is in pretty good shape. Chud was finally set with a chance to bring this Browns team back from the dead. For shame, Haslem. For shame.

LOL Scott Van Pelt quote of the year: (speaking about the Browns in regards to the AFC West) "It's a tough division... That's a tough block to live on. It's not like Miss America lives next door, but everyone else looks pretty good, and you're not as hot." again, lol.

I'm gonna say they did some things right, but I also feel like they were the reason that we were unable to find a coach right away because they kept dropping out. However, I do like Pettine.

Was never a fan of Lombardi's "talent evaluation" or Banner's stinginess with money.

I like Farmer and Pettine better than I like the Lombardi/Banner/Chud. Even though I did like Chud, the other guys brought him down.

I'm gonna say they did some things right, but I also feel like they were the reason that we were unable to find a coach right away because they kept dropping out. However, I do like Pettine.

Was never a fan of Lombardi's "talent evaluation" or Banner's stinginess with money.

I like Farmer and Pettine better than I like the Lombardi/Banner/Chud. Even though I did like Chud, the other guys brought him down.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of that. Nobody wanted to ride with the same guys that Chud had to ride out of town, and as far as being stingy with money goes, that shit is just not going to work: especially in a place like Cleveland. It's not like people are lining up to move to Cleveland, and unless you give someone extra reason to come play at the mistake by the lake, they just aren't going to come. Why would someone take less or even the same amount of money to come live in Cleveland as opposed to, say, Cali or Fla or NY or, well, almost anywhere?

I liked Chud too, but it was clear to me pretty early that he was just brought in to be a patsy/fall guy if everything went according to plan. The guy was set up from the start. At least he found a seemingly good job relatively quickly.

Let's get real for a second... The Lombardi hiring in the first place was a huge black eye to the Browns. Pettine is still the guy I assume being that he is literally the only coach in the league willing to take the demotion to Browns HC.

The Browns chances seems to have improved a little. But... they're the Browns so it doesn't matter how fortuitous it is that the rest of the North is subpar.

R.I.P. Mike Pettine :(

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, new Browns coach Mike Pettine wasn't new GM Ray Farmer's first choice to replace Rob Chudzinski.

RapSheet reported earlier Tuesday that Farmer wasn't present for Pettine's interview. In other words, the Browns have accomplished the rather astonishing feat of having a rookie general manager who might not necessarily be on the same page as his rookie head coach. It's an "only in Cleveland" scenario if there ever was one. The fact that Pettine wasn't Farmer's first choice to replace Chud doesn't mean the duo will be doomed from the start, but it could easily lead to dysfunction down the road. That's proving to be the Browns' speciality.

Let's get real for a second... The Lombardi hiring in the first place was a huge black eye to the Browns. Pettine is still the guy I assume being that he is literally the only coach in the league willing to take the demotion to Browns HC.

Well, they said that Dan Quinn was a real possibility, but I guess we didnt want to wait till after the Superbowl... Not real sure why not, we were the only team in the damn league without a headcoach.

There is just a plethora of disturbing news coming out of Cleveland anymore...

Per SI's Peter King, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was "intrigued" by Greg Schiano as a head-coaching candidate in Cleveland and set up the Browns' interview with Schiano in Tampa Bay.

Schiano received recommendations from Urban Meyer and Bill Belichick, which Haslam apparently took very seriously. Haslam's affection for Haslam reportedly caused a "major rift in the organization," as since-fired president Joe Banner was "cold to Schiano" during their meeting in Tampa, and didn't participate in much of the interview. "Banner likely thought Schiano would be a disastrous hire, given all the negatives in recent Cleveland history," writes King.
Source: SI.com
Feb 12 - 10:19 AM

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Browns GM Ray Farmer was the highest on Oregon's Marcus Mariota among draft-eligible quarterbacks during the college season.

Perhaps the fired duo of Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi has begun leaking information to the media in retaliation, or Rapoport has an incredibly talkative source close to Farmer. Mariota wound up staying in school, and ever since seemingly countless reports have linked Cleveland to Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel. Rapoport is "not sure Manziel is (Farmer's) guy." Farmer's interest in Mariota is a nugget to file away before next year's draft.
Related: Browns

According to SI's Peter King, the Browns "seem prepared to move heaven and earth" to select a "new quarterback savior" in May's draft.

In other words, they're not handing the keys to Brian Hoyer, while Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, and Teddy Bridgewater are all in play for the Browns. Cleveland has two first-rounders after ex-GM Mike Lombardi accepted the No. 26 overall pick for Trent Richardson, in what so far appears to be a swindling by the now-fired Lombardi. If the Browns want to move up for a quarterback, they have more than enough ammunition.
Source: SI.com

Speaking Thursday, Browns coach Mike Pettine confirmed new GM Ray Farmer wasn't present for his interviews, but said the issue was "overblown."

Pettine also insisted he's on board with the Browns' firing of GM Mike Lombardi and CEO Joe Banner's, though he did call the moves "bittersweet." "(Owner Jimmy Haslam) realized there were some issues and wanted to make things right," Pettine said. "As controversial and shocking as it was, I think he’s a believer and he wasn’t going to let things stay the way they were." Pettine is wise to drink the Kool-Aid, but the situation is ripe for further dysfunction down the road.

I'm thoroughly pleased with Jimmy Haslam and have been since he bought the team. I did doubt them a bit when they got rid of T-Rich but that so far has worked out pretty well. I won't label it a complete success until I see what they do with the acquired 1st Rd. Pick.

I know I frequent some Browns boards and nearly all of them were very down on this organization. I didn't agree but knowing what I know now its understandable. Now that Lombardi and Banner are essentially gone more stuff is coming out about the way things were being ran by Banner and I don't blame coaches for staying away. I like Pettine. He seems like a good guy and the type of coach I like but I will not fault the organization if he is replaced. Their pool for coaching candidates was very shallow due to how Banner was running things. So Pettine was the best available person they could get. I hope he succeeds but if he doesn't I would support a coaching change.

Hopefully Haslam/Farmer and Pettine can get this sucker turned around. Browns fans deserve a winner.