Milla4Prez63

Buccaneers state of the franchise

Robert Herron goes through a drill with WR's coach Andrew Hayes-Stoker

Daniel Wallace Times

TAMPA —

It wasn't long after the Bucs drafted receiver Robert Herron when the sixth-round pick shot a text message to past acquaintance and new teammate Dashon Goldson.

"You've got cleats coming your way ASAP," Herron said.

Herron has a 4-year-old promise to keep.

Growing up in gang-ridden south central Los Angeles, Herron didn't have much.

His dad was in jail. Herron played pee wee flag football because his mom couldn't afford tackle leagues. He never had to sleep on the streets, but he didn't always have his own home.

Soon after he got to high school, his mom couldn't care for him anymore. Herron connected with a cousin through MySpace and showed up at the door of a pseudo-aunt he had never really met.

He had nothing but a backpack of clothes and pair of shoes.

"That was it," said his aunt, Kathy Hales.

Hales threw Herron into sports to keep him out of trouble. In the first track meet he ever ran, Herron blazed through 100 meters in 10.6 seconds.

He started getting serious about football in the summers, when he'd call or text one of his high school coaches, Ivan Stephenson, to ask for a ride to the gym or an 8 a.m. workout.

"I just wanted to see the kid have a chance," said Stephenson, who now serves as Herron's manager.

Stephenson used his connections to take his pupil to train alongside pro athletes to make his NFL dreams more tangible.

And that's where Herron first met Goldson.

The fellow Los Angeles native had just finished his rookie season with the 49ers and was doing offseason conditioning when he saw a teenager working out. The kid was small but fast, and Goldson remembers his drive.

"I just knew he was out there training for a purpose," Goldson said.

Then Goldson glanced down at Herron's feet.

"He's trying to chase his dream," Goldson said, "and he's doing it in tennis shoes."

And that wasn't acceptable. NFL dreams require NFL equipment. Goldson went to his car and came back with a new pair of black and white Nikes.

Goldson gave the cleats to Herron, who thanked him with a promise: When I make it big, I'll return the favor.

Herron didn't need the shoes for long. When he arrived at Wyoming a few months later, the Cowboys gave him a new pair. The ones Goldson gave him have been torn up and lost.

But the shoes helped carry Herron down his road to the NFL. The drills he ran in Goldson's cleats in the summer of 2010 prepared him to make an impact as a freshman receiver and running back at Wyoming despite an academic issue that kept him from joining the team until fall camp.

His versatility and 303 all-purpose yards in that one season under then-offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo must have left a strong impression. Arroyo, now the Bucs' quarterbacks coach, helped encourage Tampa Bay to draft Herron with its final pick.

Herron has a chance to make an impact as a rookie as a slot receiver or punt returner. He spent time doing both over the weekend at the Bucs' three-day rookie camp.

He has already chatted with Goldson in their locker room, and the All-Pro safety gave the rookie some advice: Don't get too emotional, and keep doing the things that got you here.

"It's crazy that we're on the same team right now," Herron said. "From looking up to somebody, now you're playing with him."

And now that they're peers, Herron knows exactly what he has to give to make good on a 4-year-old promise.

A pair of black and white Nikes.

Times staff writer Matt Baker can be reached at mbaker@tampabay.com or on Twitter at @MBakerTBTimes.

Great story.

This is an awesome story.

I'm going to bump this thread with the season over and look back at my OP.

1.Who will be the Bucs' starting QB?
It was McCown and it was a disaster, 18 turnovers in 11 starts....1-10 record as starter. Gross. Lovie Smith stayed too loyal to his boy when Glennon should've started, but it at least got us the number one overall pick.

2.Did the Bucs make a mistake cutting Darrelle Revis?
Eh, he's a great player but there was so many things wrong with this team that a cornerback couldn't fix. 16 million was too much to pay him. It's too bad all the money freed up by his release was spent on bum FAs.

3.Will the Bucs' offensive line improve from the disappointing 2013 season?
Nope, they managed to be worse somehow. Anthony Collins was a mega bust of a FA, Dietrich-Smith wasn't much better and we wasted a draft pick to bring in a washed up Logan Mankins. Even Demar Dotson who was superb in 2013, played like shit this year.

4.Can the Bucs fix their passing rushing woes?
Meh, not really. We found a sleeper in Jacquies Smith, Michael Johnson was a major bust of a FA. Clayborn got hurt AGAIN, but we look good at DT with McCoy and McDonald. Plus solid depth with Spence and even Bowers looks decent as a DT.

5.What is the Bucs' receiving corps going to look like?
It looked like the only half decent position on the team. Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson became the first duo of receivers to have 1,000 yards in the same year in Tampa Bay history. Louis Murphy had his moments, but we lack some depth at the position.

This team needs to draft a QB #1 and spend of the rest of the picks fixing the OL and DLs. Better QB+OL play and this team is will look at least NFL caliber.

Mariota is almost assuredly coming to Tampa unless Winston just goes off in the playoff and gets FSU another title and kills it at the combine.

Happy that we have the #1 pick, hopefully we pick the right QB. Both have some concerns that scare me, but there's never really a perfect prospect.

The main concern for Mariota is how he will fare with this recent trend of dual threat QBs fizzling out. The ones fizzling out are the guys who are athletes first, QBs second...Kaepernick, Griffin, etc. There are several guys in this mold having success though, obviously Wilson being the main one. He just passed for 3,500 yards with a 20:7 TD:INT ratio and ran for 850 yards and 6 TDs on top of that to lead Seattle to another division title and perhaps a Super Bowl repeat. Cam Newton isn't as elite of a player as Carolina hoped but he's still productive and has led them to back to back division titles for the first time in NFC South history. Mariota is an exceptional athlete, but he is a smart guy and I like in the videos I've seen of him that he tends to keep his eyes down the field when he starts moving. If he learns how to play in the NFL and how to avoid taking hits, dude can be a straight up stud. Potential is through the roof with him.

As for Winston, he fits the more natural pocket passer mold. But he has shown great ability to escape the rush too. My concern with Winston is how huge of a gamble he really is. Not just because he has question marks off the field, but let's be honest, he didn't exactly tear it up on the field this year too. I know FSU is undefeated again and he has a chance to repeat as champion and go undefeated in his college career, but is anyone amazed by his 24:17 TD:INT ratio? Not to mention that ratio was an ugly 8:11 in the second half of the season. He was amazing in 2013, so by drafting him number one overall you are not only gambling on him staying clean off the field but that the real Jameis Winston is the 2013 version, because his play this year is not good enough for the NFL IMO. It was very Josh Freeman like how he would struggle to start games but pull things together for short stretches enough to just get the win. Not trying to compare the two, but if we're drafting a QB #1, I want to have confidence they can play consistently well and not be another roller coaster ride like our last 1st round QB.

So as of today, I am leanding towards Marcus Mariota as the Bucs' guy at #1. This is from a huge FSU fan too. But Jameis has a prime opportunity to get me on his side by going out and playing the best ball of his life, getting FSU another national title.

Mariota is almost assuredly coming to Tampa unless Winston just goes off in the playoff and gets FSU another title and kills it at the combine.

You would think/hope so, right?

I'm worried that Lovie (and Licht) is going to outsmart himself and do something different.

I will honestly be happy with either. I think I lean more towards Mariota, though.

I think which ever OC we bring in will be pretty telling. It's a VERY big hire. One that could make or break this franchise because no matter who we draft, that OC (and his QB coach) will have a HUGE impact on Mariota or Winston. The QBs success/failure will have enormous implications. Either helping set up a successful and competitive franchise for years to come or just another long drought of shit that we'll have to endure.

I sure hope that we can do better than Dirk Koetter :Suicide:

The Bucs turning down the Senior Bowl is pretty telling that more than just a OC change are coming. Hopefully the OL, ST coaches are gone.

So Bucs fans, as of this moment, do any of you want the Bucs to do something other than take one of the top 2 QBs with the first overall pick? Trade down? Take somebody else?

So Bucs fans, as of this moment, do any of you want the Bucs to do something other than take one of the top 2 QBs with the first overall pick? Trade down? Take somebody else?

nope

Mariota/Winston or bust IMO

In dire need of a QB

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't a rookie QB get slaughtered behind that offensive line, though?

We have more than just the first overall pick.

Not to mention, FA.

Can't fix every issue in one offseason. I mean, it's not impossible, but improbable.

Like BucD said, plenty of opportunities to improve the offensive line beyond using the 1st overall pick in the draft. Besides, there isn't a stud tackle worthy of the pick anyways IMO. The guys we could pick up in the 2nd round are just as talented in some cases. We'll have a chance to grab someone who falls. I'm not sure how I feel about using FA to find help on the line, since nearly every FA offensive lineman we've signed has sucked or gotten MRSA. But we can find some depth there, draft some guys and if we draft someone like Mariota he has enough ability to escape the rush to still make plays.

But the first pick HAS to be QB. When your starting QB is Josh McCown and you have a chance to draft someone you have to do it, you don't get the 1st pick too often. You don't get the 1st pick and a choice between two Heisman winning QBs either.

Currently sure. The whole Right side of the OL needs fixed (Dotson moves to LT). I'm hoping we take one of the Qbs #1, then come back in round 2 take Denzel Perryman.

Rest of the Draft and FA can be used to fix our OL and DL.

Edited by Bucman

The main concern for Mariota is how he will fare with this recent trend of dual threat QBs fizzling out. The ones fizzling out are the guys who are athletes first, QBs second...Kaepernick, Griffin, etc. There are several guys in this mold having success though, obviously Wilson being the main one. He just passed for 3,500 yards with a 20:7 TD:INT ratio and ran for 850 yards and 6 TDs on top of that to lead Seattle to another division title and perhaps a Super Bowl repeat. Cam Newton isn't as elite of a player as Carolina hoped but he's still productive and has led them to back to back division titles for the first time in NFC South history. Mariota is an exceptional athlete, but he is a smart guy and I like in the videos I've seen of him that he tends to keep his eyes down the field when he starts moving. If he learns how to play in the NFL and how to avoid taking hits, dude can be a straight up stud. Potential is through the roof with him.

As for Winston, he fits the more natural pocket passer mold. But he has shown great ability to escape the rush too. My concern with Winston is how huge of a gamble he really is. Not just because he has question marks off the field, but let's be honest, he didn't exactly tear it up on the field this year too. I know FSU is undefeated again and he has a chance to repeat as champion and go undefeated in his college career, but is anyone amazed by his 24:17 TD:INT ratio? Not to mention that ratio was an ugly 8:11 in the second half of the season. He was amazing in 2013, so by drafting him number one overall you are not only gambling on him staying clean off the field but that the real Jameis Winston is the 2013 version, because his play this year is not good enough for the NFL IMO. It was very Josh Freeman like how he would struggle to start games but pull things together for short stretches enough to just get the win. Not trying to compare the two, but if we're drafting a QB #1, I want to have confidence they can play consistently well and not be another roller coaster ride like our last 1st round QB.

So as of today, I am leanding towards Marcus Mariota as the Bucs' guy at #1. This is from a huge FSU fan too. But Jameis has a prime opportunity to get me on his side by going out and playing the best ball of his life, getting FSU another national title.

Speak for thyself. I still have Newton as the best young QB in the league. Injuries hurt him this year as well as very little talent on the offense, but you give him the same talent that the others have, he'd kill it. He is carrying the Panthers offense as it is.

Sure he's had some rough spots, but no QB is going to come in and be perfect. Newton has far exceeded the expectations I had for him.

As for the Bucs, I really think Mariota is the obvious choice. Winston strikes me as Johnny Football did- immature, off-field issues, lots of focus on his ability to run, I'd take Mariota over Winston, and not think twice about it.

Edited by Thanatos19

I would prefer us trade down to get more picks. We need to rebuild our OL, defensive secondary, and we don't have a decent RB in sight.

I understand why Buc fans want a QB, because we NEED a QB, but I can' stand the thought of drafting a guy with off the field issues in Winston, nor a QB that's solely played in a read-option offense and is pretty well known for missing wide open receivers in college like Mariota.

Honestly if we had a good defense, a decent OL, and a good RB, I'd say draft Mariota. Reason being he's probably going to struggle mightily without those things due to his play style. If we can't manage to build those other positions around him within a couple years, he'll just get benched and traded/dropped like nearly every other 1st round QB drafted in the same conditions.

Unless you're sure he's going to be the next Manning or Rodgers it's really a backwards way to go about things. I'd rather struggle more years until this team has a good run game, OL, and a promising defense, then draft some Russel Wilson-like QB after if that's the choice.

Currently sure. The whole Right side of the OL needs fixed (Dotson moves to LT). I'm hoping we take one of the Qbs #1, then come back in round 2 take Denzel Perryman.

Rest of the Draft and FA can be used to fix our OL and DL.

Perryman isn't worth a 2nd rounder IMO :nope:

Perryman isn't worth a 2nd rounder IMO :nope:

Hes the #1 rated ILB and is projected to go Rounds 1-2 :shrug:

I'd say trade back. There will be a few hungry teams dying for Mariota and the Bucs can get an RGIII type haul from a poorly managed team. Glennon is by no means great but he's worth holding as the starter until the Bucs are in a place to draft a star QB. It's not often you get the #1 overall pick and it'd be a shame to blow it on one guy when you can get 4-6 picks easy from it.

I have no faith in this staff to put those picks to good use

The Rams are no better off after the RG3 trade. They got a bunch of picks but they have dogshit at QB and still suck. This is our best chance to get a starting QB, and we gotta go for it.

The Rams are no better off after the RG3 trade. They got a bunch of picks but they have dogshit at QB and still suck. This is our best chance to get a starting QB, and we gotta go for it.

4-6 players > Mariota.

If you're sold on Mariota, fine, but he's just gonna come in and have a weak team fail him.

I'd say Rams are much better off now. Went from a 2-win team to a team with great pieces that competes every Sunday. Are they a contender? No. But we've seen before what happens when you get a QB before you build a team. That's when you get Sam Bradford.

Edited by Chernobyl426