Sign in to follow this  
BradyFan81

Trying to get back into video games

Hey guys, I know we have some really big gamers on this forum so I'm just wondering if maybe you guys can help me out.

I'm looking to get back into video games, so I'm trying to compile a list of games that are similar to games I used to play when I was younger that I loved. My brother used to be a huge gamer and I'd just play the games that he got and I would play them and love them. He kind of stopped playing tho and so did I, but I'm looking to get back into it because I remember how much I enjoyed them. I really have no idea about what the good games are now though.

I'm looking for games with really good stories, I'm not into online play at all. So I'm just gonna list my favorite video games of all time, and maybe someone could tell me of games that are similar to these. Hopefully you guys have played these or know of them, some of them I think everyone knows:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Knights of the Old Republic

Fable

Bioshock

Jade Empire

God of War

Shadows of the Colossus

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Halo (never played the 2nd and 3rd ones)

I have a PS3 right now, only play sports games. I'd be willing to buy a PS4 though if that's where all the games I'm searching for are and there's a lot of them.

Appreciate it guys :yep:

Edited by BradyFan81

Since you already have a ps3. The Uncharted series is a must have. I would also pick up Fall out 3 and Fall out New vegas.

• Upvote 2

A great story conquers all!

Not sure what all you have and haven't played or when you stopped, so, if you've played some of these already -- my apologies.

I could sit here and give you a massive synopsis of each of these, but honestly... I think the games speak for themselves. I let you know what it's about, briefly... but the games must be played to be experienced. :yep:

5936.jpg
There is a game before these as well, simply titled Assassins Creed, but this is a trilogy within the series that you must get your hands on, IMO. Basically, this company created a virtual reality machine that reads your genetic history. You sit in the machine, and can relive the times of your ancestors. In this one, you become Ezio Auditore who lived during the renaissance and something something to do with a brotherhood of assassins. :p (You can get this on PS3, just had to use different cover for image extension purpose)

Heavy-Rain-PSLS.jpg
This... If you love story, is a must play. A very interactive game taking you into the world of the Origami Killer who drowns his victims in torrential rains. It's super in depth, and progress is made by making different decisions and interacting with the world of those the Origami Killer has touched. Probably about 10,000 different endings and paths to choose from.

Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune.jpg
Third person shooter / adventure / action game. You play treasure hunter Nathan Drake as he travels the world discovering historical er... mysteries? If you like it, it has a pair of sequels (Among Thieves & Drake's Deception)

Last-of-us-cover-1024x1024-300x300.jpg
Another action / adventure game with a survival twist. The apocalypse is upon us and it's your job to get Ellie to a group of people who believe she could help cure the infection. Face a lot of zombie-esquee creatures.... So if you don't like that type of thing, might be harder for you to get into. But the story alone is worth the play.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Not a gamer either, but back in the day I used to love Knights of the Old Republic. :rock:

I got Uncharted when I won my PS3 at the raffle at work. Still haven't beat it, I played it up to a point then just quit and just OD'd on NBA2k11 and FIFA. Still the only games I've played recently have been GTAV and FIFA. lol. I have no business posting in this thread do I?

• Upvote 1

Definitely agree with Last Of Us. That game is amazing.

Just going off the games you like..have you played MGS4 or Bioshock Infinite? Both are must haves IMO. Dishonored is another good one. I'm also a sucker for the Batman: Arkham series. If you like the comics, you'll love the games. Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light have incredibly intense post-apocalyptic stories. Spec Ops: The Line is another good one. Gameplay is nothing too special, but the narrative really hits hard.

Edited by RANGA
  • Upvote 1

I'd heavily recommend Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas, as they are easily the best games on Ps3/360 IMO.

• Upvote 1

Definitely play the rest of the Halo games if you're at all into that universe.

Jade Empire is top-5 for me as far as games go, you should find an OG xbox and just play that again. You should really enjoy the Mass Effect series in that vein.

I would also recommend Max Payne 3 and the new Tomb Raider game.

• Upvote 1

Alright, awesome, thanks guys

With Assassin's Creed, I don't need to play the 1st one to get the others?

Yeah I played Bioshock and MGS3 and loved both of them, never picked up the next ones for some reason, but the itch is back now. Isn't Snake an old geezer in the 4th one though?

Also are the Metro games mostly shooting, like a Gears of War type game?

Also could you tell me more about Dishonored? I read that it is sort of a stealth game, is it similar to the Spinter Cell series? I loved those games.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Anymore?

So far I've got:

Assassin's Creed Ezio Trilogy + possibly Assassin's Creed 1

Heavy Rain

Uncharted series

The Last of Us

Bioshock Infinite

MGS4

Batman: Arkham City+ Arkham Asylum

Dishonored

Spec Ops: The Line

Skyrim

Fallout 3 & Fallout New Vegas

Max Payne 3

Mass Effect

Oblivion

maybe: the Metro games

Wow that's a lot, I think I'm set guys

Edited by BradyFan81

Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist are both very good games too. Though Blacklist doesn't have the same voice actor as the previous games... it does get back to the series' stealth roots.

Dishonored is a game you can play any number of ways, stealth, run n gun, deception, it leaves it open.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

The Last of Us is probably the best video game I have ever played. At the very least, it has the best story of any video game I have ever played.

• Upvote 1

I'll pretty much second every game that's been mentioned.

Everyone needs to be forced to play through the entirety of Heavy Rain at least once, whether they like it or not.

Do not let Old Snake get you down in MGS4. The game is amazing. Be prepared to sit through some cutscenes though, if you care about the story.

The Metro series is a first person shooter like Gears, but it's less action heavy than Gears.

Spec Ops: The Line has the most satisfying shotgun I've ever encountered in a shooter. Nothing better than blind-firing it from behind cover.

If you're looking for story, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow has a good one, especially for an action game.

• Upvote 1

If you enjoy games like Knights of the Old Republic then you should get Oblivion, Skyim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. All of probably can be bought on the cheaper side and are on the PS3.

• Upvote 1

The Witcher 2 is one of the top-5 RPGs ever created, definitely should get that if you like RPGs at all.

You might want to play Assassins Creed 1 to just to be introduced into what everything is about. I'd recommend playing it still (it has to be like.. 2$ by now online or at Gamestop) . But also remember it is an older title and stuff GETS BETTER. Story wise though, I'd definitely buy it.

Like Vin said, don't like Old Snake get you down. He's still as awesome as ever. And slightly more relate-able in a way, because he doesn't seem invincible anymore.

Metro is unlike any other game I've ever played. It's a mix of sci-fi horror and FPS. Basically, you're put in post-apocalyptic Russia, where everyone lives underground to avoid the radiation, which has spawned all manner of weird and freaky shit on the surface. Don't want to ruin the story, because it's brilliant, but the gameplay focuses a lot around the scarcity and supreme value of resources. You have limited light sources, gas masks, ammunition etc...and if you run out while you're in an unfriendly area you're basically fucked. Very challenging, but very rewarding game.

Dishonored is interesting, because like tMHG was saying you can choose to play it the way you want. There's a gameplay element called "Chaos" and if you run around killing everyone it raises the Chaos level and the city slowly becomes more corrupt, more people attack you on sight, character arcs change for the worse etc. If you don't kill anyone, the Chaos level decreases and you get the "best" ending. There are multiple endings determined by how you play each level progressively.

You should get into speedrunning Dishonored. World Record is completion in like.. 37 minutes? Get on it, bro. :D

forgot to mention Borderlands 1 and 2 and far cry 2 and 3