Dutch

Top 10 RB

Title is self explanatory. Don't like the ranking of others peoples list, inquire about it.

1. :Vikings: Adrian Peterson - Still the best running back in the league and is the only sure fire HoF running back currently in the league; first ballot imo. Never saw a running back with the combination of speed, agility, strength, and size all in one and be as dominant as A.P has. Hands down the best in the league.

2. :Eagles: Lesean Mccoy - Mccoy is the most elusive RB in the league and has a feint sliver of Barry Sanders in his game in regards to making people miss. Mccoys agility and lateral quickness / shiftiness is unmatched in the league and it's the name of his game. He doesn't have good top end speed but he will embarrass multiple defenders on a team all in one play and get the first down or TD. He did that all throughout the year and gained the rushing title as a result.

3. :Chiefs: Jamaal Charles - J.C could have easily been #2 and I wouldn't argue against anyone who thought so. J.C had an amazing season and put up more TDs than all the other RBs. He was also the most dual effective RB in the league catching 70 passes and almost 700 yards while putting up 7 passing TDs. J.C career average is an astonishing 5.6 yards per carry. He gets the most out of his runs every time he touches the ball and he is a home run threat every time he touches the ball with his outstanding speed.

4. :Seahawks: Marshawn Lynch - The most brutal and punishing RB in the league. Lynch is undoubtedly the best power running back in the game. He has one of the meanest stiff arms, will run you over, and has great power in his legs that never stop moving picking up those tough yards.

5. :Bears: Matt Forte - One of the most underrated elite RBs in the league. Forte can do it all. He can run the ball tough, make guys miss and is incredibly effective catching the ball out the back field. His injury issues seem to be getting better but he's been toting the rock carrying that Bears offense (accounting for over 40% of their offense in past seasons) behind a crappy line and being effective. He's an explosive back that is known for making 20+ and 40+ yard splash plays and explosive plays. Forte needs more love for what he does.

6. :49ers: Frank Gore - The inconvenient truth is a soldier. Frank Gore is one of my favorite pure runners on this list. I love the way he runs the ball. His patience and lane recognition is amazing. I love his cuts as well. The only reason he isn't higher is because on this list is because those other guys are dual backs. But as a runner like I said, he's one of my favorite.

7. :Redskins: Alfred Morris - This kid is a beast. He had to prove it to me. Morris and RG3 opened up a lot of opportunities for each other last season. RG3 had a minimal impact running the ball this year and Morris still played great. A good indicator that he was creating plays for himself was his yards after contact. Morris made a lot of plays after contract breaking a lot of tackles. The kid runs tough. My only problem with him is he need to take care of the ball better.

8. :Cowboys: Demarco Murray - This kid is a monster. The only thing that has been holding him back is injuries which has kept him to only one 1000 yard campaign. He finally stayed healthy for majority of the season and reached 1000 yards. This kid is tough, will run you over and will stiff arm you into the stands.

9. :Texans: Arian Foster - His production in this league is undeniable. He went from an unrestricted free agent to one of the best RBs in the league. He's a great fit for the Texans. His patience and ability to find that crease in their zone block running scheme is phenomenal. Don't want to take anything away from him but outside of finding the lane and hitting that lane, he is purely a one cut back with no other moves in his arsenal and doesn't break many tackles. His production is amazing but I like some of these other guys much more.

10. :Jets: Chris Johnson - C.J gets a lot of hate on this forum board but he's still a top 10 pick for me. Last year was a bad year for him even though he reached 1000 yards but outside of that, he's been consistent for his entire tenure in the league. 6/6 straight 1000 yard seasons and only two of them is when he struggled average wise. I think it was more happening with the Titans situation over there that stats don't tell (as far as O-line) but I for one am eager to see what he does for the Jets. I think he still may have some gas in the tank.

Outside guys looking in:

:Ravens: Ray Rice - He had a horrible year and fell off a cliff. There were a lot of things going on with that Ravens offense and Rice was battling an injury as well. When healthy, he's the best dual purpose RB in the league and makes impact plays. However, with all the talent at the RB position, it's hard to keep them off the list and he's going to have to fight to get back on.

:Packers: Eddie Lacy - I love Lacy. He's a gritty and tough RB. He showed great patience in the back field and has quick feet for a big guy. The way he runs reminds me of Stephen Jackson. Another good season out of him and he can make this list. Morris made it in just two seasons and Lacy can easily do the same.

Honorable mentions:

:Bills: C.J Spiller - Has potential. He had one really good season and followed that up with a sub 1000 yard season. Didn't start every game either. One spectacular season by Spiller can warrant him a position on my list. The 9th and 10th spots are winnable if they have bad seasons.

:Bengals: Giovanni Bennard - I like Gio a lot. Probably the 2nd most elusive and shifty RB in the league. He is a true scat back and it's exciting watching guys like him make plays. I look forward to seeing him play a bigger role next season.

Edited by Dutch

Ray Rice and Chris Johnson shouldn't be in anyone's top 10. Even though they're not as durable I'd take Bush and Murray over both. Ryan Matthews is a guy I'd consider as well if he keeps his fumbling under control. He only had 2 last year.

For me, just like you can't make a top 10 list with one good year (unless you are Josh Gordon), you can't be taken off for one bad year if you've proved consistent for several years. Especially for guys that haven't proved consistency yet. The position isn't that competitive to where if someone has a bad year, they could be replaced with someone who has been balling out as well but just outside the top 10.

For what it's worth though, Ryan Matthews had a solid year last season and I've already spoken about my admiration for Murray's game. If he has a year like last year or better, he easily shoots up several spots my list. His potential has shown throughout the last few years but he has to stay healthy (which is apart of being a top back imo; durability is huge for RBs) and put together another good season. One 1100 yard campaign doesn't warrant a top 10 spot for me. Bush was effective but still not top 10 for me. Great receiving option but barely squeaked 1000 yards and was a fumbling machine.

Edited by Dutch

I don't know who this DeMarcus Murray kid is, but he sounds bad.

1. Adrian Peterson (Undisputed IMO)

2. LeSean McCoy

3. Jamaal Charles

4. Marshawn Lynch

5. Frank Gore

6. Matt Forte

7. Alfred Morris

8. Arian Foster

9. CJ Spiller (When Healthy)

10. DeMarco Murray

Folks should appreciate Doug Martin, Gio Bernard and Eddie Lacy more, and Spiller is not a top 10 when he's getting less work than Fred Jackson. Lovie Smith with do better things for Doug Martin. Schiano was rough.

• Upvote 2

1. AD

2. Shady

3. Marshawn Lynch

4. Jamaal Charles

5. Matt Forte

6. Alfred Morris

7. Frank Gore

8. Demarco Murray

9. Chris Johnson

10. Ray Rice

On the cusp: Lacy, Moreno, Spiller, Bush, Mathews

My reasoning for Lynch over Charles is a bit unfair in that Lynch was just an absolute monster in the playoffs last year while I'm pretty sure Charles was injured during the Chiefs epic choke job. I think its really close between Lynch, Forte, and Charles. Not much to talk about after that. CJ had a decent year but was playing behind a really good o-line so his stock might start to fall a little because of other guys playing well. Ray Rice, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt but there are quite a few guys who deserve the spot over him because of last season alone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2. :Eagles: Lesean Mccoy - Mccoy is the most elusive RB in the league and has a feint sliver of Barry Sanders in his game in regards to making people miss.

Stop that dutch. You have to get help. I'm tired of watching drugs destroy your life. Barry Sanders just got offended somewhere in America and has no idea why. I never neg based on ranking opinions, but this got me close. You're a really cordial fella though, so I passed.

9. CJ Spiller (When Healthy)

When exactly would that be? I really don't understand how this kid can be in anyone's top ten at this point. Every year is going to be "his year," and yet every year he splits carries and fails to get even 1,000 yards. If he was really as good all the time as he is once in awhile, he would just win the job. When a coach has to go with the hot runner though, the #2 of a 1-2 punch can't possibly be in the top 10 in the game.

Folks should appreciate Doug Martin, Gio Bernard and Eddie Lacy more, and Spiller is not a top 10 when he's getting less work than Fred Jackson. Lovie Smith with do better things for Doug Martin. Schiano was rough.

I'm pretty conflicted with your post here. I 100% agree with your assessment of Spiller, but how can you say that people need to give those other guys more credit? Martin had a great rookie year, but he missed almost the entire season last year.

The other two put together impressive rookie seasons, but it's one year and wasn't even close to musclehamster's rookie season. Lacy finished top ten in rushing yards, and he's done enough to give the Packers hope for the running game, but there are just too many guys that have done more for years to put this kid in the top ten.

1. AD

2. Shady

3. Marshawn Lynch

4. Jamaal Charles

5. Matt Forte

6. Alfred Morris

7. Frank Gore

8. Demarco Murray

9. Chris Johnson

10. Ray Rice

On the cusp: Lacy, Moreno, Spiller, Bush, Mathews

My reasoning for Lynch over Charles is a bit unfair in that Lynch was just an absolute monster in the playoffs last year while I'm pretty sure Charles was injured during the Chiefs epic choke job. I think its really close between Lynch, Forte, and Charles. Not much to talk about after that. CJ had a decent year but was playing behind a really good o-line so his stock might start to fall a little because of other guys playing well. Ray Rice, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt but there are quite a few guys who deserve the spot over him because of last season alone.

Forte is pretty good, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Charles or Lynch. He's a lunch pale kind of guy, and while he has the ability to change a game and in some cases take one over, he's not the kind of back that you can build around imo. The other two guys are just that good.

Rice really fell off hard, so I wouldn't—and won't—have him in my top 10. I can somewhat understand why some people would though, so putting him at 10 isn't too much of a stretch.

As for my list...

1. :Chiefs: Jamaal Charles: Some people may call this a biased pick, but I really feel like last season put him over the hump. Everyone said that Reid was going to ruin his career, and instead, with a much bigger role and marathon-like pace, Charles had more touches than just about anyone in the league and held up very well. He managed to beast on almost everyone, despite the fact that everyone knew he was getting the ball. He literally carried the entire offense to that 9-0 start, and I know the defense was a bit inflated due to the QB's they faced, but QB's don't play defense. Of all the guys with over 200 carries, there were only 3 that finished in the 5ypa club: McCoy, Murray, and Charles. AP MIGHT be a better pure runner, but I'll take Charles as my all-around RB at this point, and I love me some AP.

2. :Vikings: Adrian Peterson: It's really more of a 1a/1b/1c situation. You can't go wrong with either guy here. AP has been a monster since day one. There's no denying that. I'm not even gonna go in depth. You know what it is.

3. :Eagles: LeSean McCoy: No surprise here. McCoy is a flat out beast between the 20's. That being said, I've seen him get stuffed inside the 5 a little more than I'm comfortable with, and I think that's the only thing holding him back from being the top guy. This guy has a lot to do with the early success of Foles imo. It never hurts to have a safety valve like this.

4. :Seahawks: Marshawn Lynch: Beast mode about says it all. He's more one dimensional than these other guys, so he goes just below them. Still, he's just better than everyone else, so he goes above all of them. I don't care what anyone says; there's no one in the game that really wants to see this guy coming through the hole. That epic playoff run against the Saints will forever be ingrained in my mind, and It sums everything about this runner up in a nice, neat little box. The TD is the bow.

5. :Bears: Matt Forte: I view him as on his own plain, and sitting at #5, I don't think that there's anything wrong with that. Forte is like the Jackie Chan of running backs in that he isn't the very best at any one aspect of his the running game, but he's very, very good at everything. He's capable of taking a handoff from just about any set, he can catch out of the backfield, he can split out to the slot, he's not a bad blocker, he's quick enough to make guys miss, and he's strong enough to give DB's fits. All in all, he's an all around hell-of-a-player.

6. :49ers: Frank Gore: The guy is getting up there in age, but if you put on game footage and just silhouetted him you would have no idea. Gore has been a work horse for the 49ers for years, and for years he was supposed to pass the torch and ran with it instead. Last season might have been a sign of the times, but he still finished as a top 10 yard gainer and was tied for sixth in rushing TD's. Hard nosed, tough as nails, and as big a reason for the 49ers success as anyone, Gore is kept in high regard until he actually falls off.

7. :Texans: Arian Foster: I know, I know. He's a product of a Texans system that relies on zone blocking, and he rarely has to actually break tackles. That's why he's only #7 on this list. With the way he's performed since becoming the starter, I just wouldn't feel right leaving him off of this list or putting one of the upstart guys that are going to close out this list ahead of a production monster like Foster. There are plenty of backs that get holes but make the wrong reads or doesn't attack them quickly enough: Foster is not one of those backs. He seems to always make the right decision. You can't teach speed, you can't outsmart smarts, and you can't blindfold this guy's vision.

8. :Cowboys: Demarco Murray: When he's on the field, he's been an absolute beast. I wanted to see if this kid was a flash in the pan of the real deal last season, and he proved to be the latter. Some things that really stand out to me about the way he runs: he just seems to always be in the right spot, making the right read, and most importantly he finishes his runs. He's not afraid to lower his head and deliver a hit before he absorbs one, and there's no substitute for that. As mentioned earlier, he's one of three guys with more than 200 carries who averaged 5 yards per. Of those three guys, he had the best average. If he stays healthy and the Cowboys don't inexplicably abandon the run with the lead, the sky is the limit for this special talent.

9. :Redskins: Alfred Morris: He had a hell of a rookie season, but I was a little skeptical of him coming into 2013 due to the fact that RGIII had a big role in keeping the defense honest for him. I wanted to see what he'd do in the event that Griffin wasn't as big of a distraction, and what he did was impressive. Morris doesn't really "wow" me, but he's an undeniably talented runner and deserving of a spot on this list. In the topsy-turvey world of 2 and 3 back systems, Morris seems to be a real throwback, Washington Redskins type of runner that is carrying on the legacy with pride.

10. :Chargers: Ryan Mathews: This was the toughest spot on the list for me. I really wanted to leave it at 9, but I just couldn't do that again. When I really thought about it, I feel like Mathews earned himself a spot comfortably at #10. He's been hurt or unimpressive since his rookie season, but he never stopped working. A lot of guys in his situation probably would have gotten downtrodden and washed out or became a carrier backup, but Mathews refused to go quietly. Last year, he was more than solid, and he's actually gotten better every season. I've been calling him a bust for awhile now, and he's come along and proven me wrong. For that, he cracks the top ten.

Edited by Charles-in-Charge
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Meh. If a number of NFL defenders are saying he compares to Sanders, I don't think saying his running game is similar but not as fantastic (which is basically what Dutch was saying) is any big deal. Last season he was simultaneously incredibly shifty and very effective. Able to break big ones, and out of your mouth, tends to take some stuffs at the line trying to do so. Sounds like Sanders, though no one is saying he is as good as Sanders was.

• Upvote 1

Meh. If a number of NFL defenders are saying he compares to Sanders, I don't think saying his running game is similar but not as fantastic (which is basically what Dutch was saying) is any big deal. Last season he was simultaneously incredibly shifty and very effective. Able to break big ones, and out of your mouth, tends to take some stuffs at the line trying to do so. Sounds like Sanders, though no one is saying he is as good as Sanders was.

NFL defenders that are playing today, or guys that had to play against Sanders? Maybe it's just because I've had the guy on a pedestal for decades, but growing up watching the guy, I honestly don't see any comparison. McCoy is a great back in today's NFL, but I don't see any flashes of Barry. I haven't seen that in anyone since, well, Barry. I get what you're saying as far as styles I guess, but there has never been a time that I was watching McCoy and thought to myself, "Wow. That was almost like something Barry used to do."

I'm not taking anything away from the guy, so don't get your Eagles underoos in a bunch. :p I just don't see it.

My eagles underoos are always bunched up, thankyou.

• Upvote 2

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Marshaw Lynch

3. Jamaal Charles

4. Lesean McCoy

5. Matt Forte

6. Frank Gore

7. Alfred Morris

8. Demarco Murray

9. Arian Foster

10. CJ Spiller

1. Adrian Peterson

2. LeSean McCoy

3. Marshawn Lynch

4. Matt Forte

5. Jamaal Charles

6. DeMarco Murray (I suppose the if healthy qualifier needs to be here)

7. Alfred Morris

8. Reggie Bush

9. Ryan Maddog Mathews (Same qualifier as player 6)

10. Eddie Lacy

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Barry Sanders comparisons come into play with McCoy in that he can move latterally extremely fast. Dutch said a "sliver" of Barry Sanders. Nobody is denying the fact that Sanders was shiftier and had more moves or that the guy had eyes in the back of his head, but guys who PLAYED AGAINST Barry have said that the speed in which McCoy can run side to side is Sanders=esque. Watch some of his highlights. You'll see it. He's not Barry Sanders. McCoy is a top 3 back in the league NOW.Sanders is top 3 all time, but he's got a little Barry in him imo.

• Upvote 1

Because Marshawn Lynch puts the team on his back doo... Jamaal Charles gets hurt and has Alex Smith do all the work.

Really don't understand why some people say Lynch is better then Charles. I'd argue they aren't even in the same tier.

Lynch is the better and more accomplished running back,,,,, simples.

Edited by BJORN

Lynch is still my #2 RB. Until he deteriorates, I ain't moving him. Guy is irreplaceable.

Lynch is still my #2 RB. Until he deteriorates, I ain't moving him. Guy is irreplaceable.

This is based off of what? Marshawn Lynch is probably not even better then Forte.

I think Charles is the better overall player and more talented, obviously has more YPC and yards. Lynch however, is the hardest man to bring down in all of football, and given how he usually needs three or more defenders to slow him to a gradual stop, and also has missed only one game with us in 4 seasons with us while getting 300 touches per year makes him really hard to looks past. In a division like ours where there are no running lanes, Lynch is the guy to have.

I think Charles is the better overall player and more talented, obviously has more YPC and yards. Lynch however, is the hardest man to bring down in all of football, and given how he usually needs three or more defenders to slow him to a gradual stop, and also has missed only one game with us in 4 seasons with us while getting 300 touches per year makes him really hard to looks past. In a division like ours where there are no running lanes, Lynch is the guy to have.

Lynch being the best option for what the Seahawks like to do doesn't make him the better player.

1. AD

2. Lesean McCoy

3. Marshawn Lynch

4. Jamaal Charles

5. Matt Forte

6. Alfred Morris

7. Ryan Matthews

8. Eddie Lacy

9. Reggie Bush

10. CJ Spiller

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It might when Lynch consistently leads the league or is very close to leading the league in broken tackles year after year.