Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Marshawn Lynch to hold out of training camp

Per Rotoworld.com:

Sources confirm to ESPN that Marshawn Lynch is expected to skip next week's mandatory minicamp because he wants a new contract.
Lynch apparently hasn't gotten the memo regarding the declining financial value of running backs in today's NFL. He's owed base salaries of $5 million in 2014 and $5.5 million in 2015, along with another $2.5 million in total roster bonuses during that span. The Seahawks would be insane to give a raise to a 28-year-old two-down back that has piled up 901 violent carries over the last three seasons -- especially since they have second-year RB Christine Michael ready to explode. If Lynch skips the three-day mandatory minicamp, something he's never done in his career, he'll be subject to nearly $70,000 in fines. Jun 12 - 8:30 AM
Source: ESPN.com

Marshawn Lynch has yet to inform the Seahawks of his plan to skip next week's mandatory minicamp.

It's quite possible Lynch won't formally inform his team of his plan to play hooky. Although it's understandable Lynch — who turned 28 in April — wants a new deal, he's not going to get it. He's due a combined $10.5 million in base salary over the next two seasons, a nice sum for a back in today's game. That, coupled with Lynch's advancing age and Christine Michael's upside means the Seahawks are extremely unlikely to even consider a raise for their lead back. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport has reported as much. Jun 12 - 5:16 PM
Edited by BLUE

Seahawks said they were going closer to a RBBC, anyway. Bevell has kind of backed off those comments a little, but still -- the Seahawks seem to be geared towards life after Marshawn. Unless he takes a really nice and beneficial deal for them, he will be elsewhere.

The Seahawks offense is being carried by Lynch. He's the heart beat of that offense and still a top 5 RB. He should get paid. This is one of those points in players careers when they are advancing in age and it's their last opportunity to cash in. They can pay him nicely in the first two years and drop off substantially or make his contract basically a year by year deal to where he's expendable at any given time and won't be a cap casualty. With how front offices and agents get deals done, they can pay that man.

If the Seahawks don't pay him this year, he will have one season left pre-30.. Do they want to commit long term to a runner like Lynch who is nearing the death zone of RBs? He's no Curtis Martin. Not to mention, I think Christian Michael is ready to shine.

• Upvote 1

Not even worried about it. He always skips the offseason things. He'll get a few preseason carries and be ready to go. The "sources" seem like people just digging for stories anyway. Lynch would be more definitive if he was really not going to show up to Thursday night kickoff vs Green Bay in 84 days. Given that we had the best three headed backfield in football, there is absolutely no need to make him cost more against the cap than he already does.

That said, I am still completely enamored with Marshawn. He's missed one game while handling the most violent of NFL front sevens the past 4 years here and has been extremely productive.

But all in all, I really just think this is Marshawn taking a break from the offseason like he does every year. Each time when I've gone to training camp the past three years, all he does is mostly stand around and exchange pleasantries with coaches. Just Marshawn bein Marshawn. Like Manny bein Manny.

In be4 someone posts the rumor that he's now rumored to be retiring. You people can go ahead and believe whatever you want. He's healthy, he loves Seattle, its a great situation. Hopefully his fantasy football stock plummets and I end up with a LeSean McCoy - Marshawn Lynch - Alshon Jeffery type trio.

• Upvote 1

May as well....

What might get the organization's attention then?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday on NFL Total Access, via a source close to Lynch, that the running back told two teammates during the 2013 season that he wouldconsider retiring if the Seahawks won Super Bowl XLVIII.

Asked by Rapoport if Lynch would seriously contemplate retirement now that Seattle has a Lombardi Trophy, the source replied, "He could. I could see him walking away."

The Seattle Seahawks have freakishly talented "Making the Leap" candidate Christine Michael andRobert Turbin waiting in the wings to shoulder the load should Lynch miss regular-season action.

Edited by Favre4Ever

BC called it. Same ol retiring story to get a head line. Ian Rapoport is a clown.

• Upvote 1

From a business perspective I can see why Marshawn would want to get as much money as he can before he hits that death zone for RB's. I think it'd be a good tone to set for Seattle to give him a short, front loaded contract if they can afford it. idk what their cap situation is like but maybe they can pay Lynch this year and then go and sign some of their young players with expiring deals.

• Upvote 1

In the NFL you get paid for what a team expects you to do in the future, not for what you've already done. Lynch waited a year too late. If I'm the Seahawks I don't budge. I have Christine Michael who is one of the best RB prospects drafted in the last 2 years, Robert Turbin AND Spencer Ware who can play RB as well. From there I'd let Lynch decide what he wants to do because I'm good either way.

Honestly, I think it's more of a situation where Lynch would rather retire here. It's not hard to read the tea leaves. His contract is conceivably for 2 more years, but the guaranteed money is gone after this year. It's assumed he will be cut following this year.

I think he wants the extension so that he can remain here instead of being a cap casualty to pay for Wilson's contract in 2015.

His deal is really at the top end for RBs in this league right now. And it's crucial to remember, that Seattle gave him a monster contract 3 years ago based largely on faith. He had floundered for a while in Buffalo before we were able to get a trade done for a mere 4th round pick. We signed him to a top RB money deal when by all appearances, he was going to flake out of the league in 12 months time.

Seattle paid him ridiculously more than he could have hoped to get on the open market. This isn't a case where Seattle is just dumping on him in a penny wise/pound foolish manner. This is still a good deal for Marshawn, bestowed at a time when he didn't warrant it. Seattle showed faith in him and he's rewarded the team for it.

I simply expect that he wants to extend to make it so he can stay here. Some situation where he extends for up front 2014 cash and a cheaper 2015/16. Allowing him to realize his full contract value while also eliminating the need for him to get cut in 2015 for cap reasons.

Seattle is well positioned to maintain excellence at the RB position. But I am not going to lie, I'd like to see Lynch be able to stick around even if it's in a RBBC situation. He's had a lot of hard miles put on his body, but he's also shown little sign of really wearing down. If he can be kept for 1m/year in 2015/16 -- I'd like to see that happen. For that to occur, we'd have to pay upwards of 9m for 2014. An extension could provide that.

• Upvote 1

It makes sense that he would want to get paid a bit more right now while he's playing at this high of a level. Especially after what the running back market looked like this past season. I mean, there are solid running backs that went to teams and are only making kicker money right now. It's unreal. Get while the getting is good for him right now.

Although, the best part about all of this (the contract situation and the retirement) is that it's all hear say. No one in Lynchs camp has come out and said he wants a new contract or he won't report. What's better is that some one who isn't even associated with the team OR Lynch anymore started the retirement rumor. Why would Marshawn Lynch retire? Lol

• Upvote 2

This situation is ironic because this is the rare case of a guy not being paid what he is worth. It is contracts like this and players like Marshawn (non-biatch) that allow dumb ass player that whine about not being paid (CJ1K) to get overpaid and balloon the market even if it happens only in short bursts.

• Upvote 1

While I don't blame Lynch at all... As others have pointed out, the business aspect of it just doesn't make sense for the Seahawks. I mean, if there has ever been a situation where a player is trying to campaign for more money with absolutely no leverage whatsoever, this would be it.

Lynch showed up for mini camp today so... rumors remain just rumors. He's currently the 5th highest paid runningback in football, right about where he should be...

By Brady Henderson

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch has reported to the team's minicamp with the hope that his desire for some change to his contract is met, according to ESPN.com's Terry Blount.

The Seahawks' three-day minicamp, which is mandatory for veterans, began today.

Lynch sat out the voluntary portion of Seattle's offseason program, and last week both Yahoo.com and ESPN.com reported that he was prepared to skip minicamp – which would subject him to nearly $70,000 in fines for missing all three days – due to unhappiness with his contract.

The fact that Lynch is attending minicamp isn't necessarily an indication that a harmonious resolution to the situation is near. Blount's report states that he believes the team "will negotiate with him in good faith."

According to Blount, Lynch is seeking an increase in his 2014 compensation. He's set to earn $5 million in base salary – which ranks fifth among NFL running backs – along with a $500,000 roster bonus. Lynch, 28, is entering the third year of a four-year deal, $30 million he signed before the 2012 season.

Seattle's first minicamp practice will begin at 1:30.

Lynch's absence during organized team activities wasn't much of a story considering how he didn't attend many of the voluntary sessions last year. But the reports of his displeasure over his contract stated that he may skip the minicamp, raising the possibility of an acrimonious dispute.

Offensive-line coach Tom Cable didn't tip his hand as to whether Lynch would be in attendance when he joined 710 ESPN Seattle's "Brock and Danny" earlier today. But what Cable made clear was that – in his opinion – Lynch's absence hasn't been a significant issue to the team. Cable noted the opportunity that it has created for backups Robert Turbin and Christine Michael, who have received practice reps they otherwise wouldn't get.

"Everybody wants to make [a story] of, 'Well, is he going to be here or not?' – talking about Marshawn and how he hasn't been here yet," Cable said. "It doesn't matter to me because the opportunity that that created for Robert and Christine has been off the charts. Their development has come along. Everything works out the way it's supposed to and Marshawn either will play or won't or be here or not – I don't care. I really don't.

"I'm not trying to make light of it. It just doesn't matter. This is spring ball, this is a time to develop and grow players and I look at it the opposite: it's created a great opportunity to develop some other players, so it's pretty cool to me."

Edited by BC

Sally Struthers summed it up in the first Q&A of this commercial.

Seriously. It's true. Get over it. You make millions to run into people. How much do you think you'd get on the open market for that skill set if not for football? Be grateful. Top five back making top five money: sounds fair.

Hey now. Before we get all over the guy for wanting money, he never really asked for more money. He hasn't said a word. He's RUMORED to be wanting more money by journalists who have run out of stories. May-July is honestly the best period to just shut your NFL news channels off and go outside.

This. Journalists are trying to spin this story in every way possible. I'm pretty sure that he's looking to restructure his deal in terms of trying to stretch it out to stay with the team.

Does make sense though as I commented before he'd want to get paid before he hits the decline. With the way the running back market is right now though, it's just not going to happen.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Former Seahawks FB Michael Robinson confirmed Marshawn Lynch still wants a raise despite reporting to last week's mandatory minicamp.
Robinson has often been the spokesman for the reserved Lynch. "The guy has been the face of this franchise since the day he stepped in that door, it's been Beast Mode. ... And he's just like 'I just want to be paid like it,'" Robinson said. Lynch has watched Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas sign new contracts totaling $103 million this offseason and his window to get paid is closing, but he simply has no leverage. 28-year-old running backs with a $5M base salary and elite talents behind them (Christine Michael) don't get new deals. Jun 23 - 11:23 AM

Per Rotoworld.com:

Awe snap yallz. I guess there may be some truth to this. Go outside BC. Enjoy the summer, but do it knowing that Lynch is not enjoying his.

Also, I knew the term "elite" has been unbearably overused, but now we're using it when referring to a guy who's amassed an astounding 18 career carries? :rofl: Now that certainly is an elite talent right there. Completely justifiable statement.

• Upvote 1

Awe snap yallz. I guess there may be some truth to this. Go outside BC. Enjoy the summer, but do it knowing that Lynch is not enjoying his.

Also, I knew the term "elite" has been unbearably overused, but now we're using it when referring to a guy who's amassed an astounding 18 career carries? :rofl: Now that certainly is an elite talent right there. Completely justifiable statement.

I don't think they were saying that Christine Michael is elite. Simply that he's got the makings of an elite level talent. Which I believe he does. I wanted the Falcons to grab him so bad in last years draft it wasn't even funny. I think he'll end up being a stud once Lynch hangs em up.

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/492451397624164352

The upside here is Christine Michael is gunna get reps reps reps. He'll still remain a change of pace role back but we are going to have two really polished potent runningbacks

Edited by BC

While I don't blame Lynch at all... As others have pointed out, the business aspect of it just doesn't make sense for the Seahawks. I mean, if there has ever been a situation where a player is trying to campaign for more money with absolutely no leverage whatsoever, this would be it.

Same holds true now... If I were the Hawks I would let Marshawn sit out. Not joking or exaggerating. You don't want to show up? Okay, see ya later... Or not. Whatever either way.

Just my opinion but i do not get this from Marshawn at all he is losing 30k a day and Schneider will not budge.

And he is already getting paid like a Top 5 back in the league per base salary (7th when looking at total cap hit, although I don't feel that is totally fair or accurate to judge by).

It isn't like he is Jamaal Charles and had been underpaid his entire career. It isn't like he is getting the shaft or carrying the team on his own.

How about not. It just doesn't work that way. Schneider absolutely shouldn't budge. I am not sure how long this will last, but week 2 will come when the Seahawks might have a chance at their first victory... They will look fine at the RB position and Marshawn will be out of a lot of money and be in the rear view permanently.

I don't see this ending any other way, unless he folds soon.