Favre4Ever

Stuart Scott Passes Away at 49

Stuart Scott, a longtime anchor at ESPN, died Sunday morning at the age of 49.

Among the features of the new ESPN studio in Bristol is a wall of catchphrases made famous by on-air talent over the years. An amazing nine of them belong to one man -- from his signature "Boo-Yah!" to "As cool as the other side of the pillow" to "He must be the bus driver cuz he was takin' him to school."

That man is Stuart Scott, and his contributions to the sports lexicon are writ large. But they are only one aspect of his legacy. When he passed away, he left behind so much more. He inspired his colleagues with his sheer talent, his work ethic and his devotion to his daughters, Taelor, 19, and Sydni, 15. He defied convention and criticism to help bring this network into a new century. He spoke to the very athletes he was talking about with a flair and a style that ESPN President John Skipper says, "changed everything."

And he saved his best for his last year on the air. At the ESPYs on July 16, shortly before his 49th birthday and following another round of cancer surgery, Stuart accepted the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance with strength, humor, grace and these eloquent words: "When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live."

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49

Edited by Favre4Ever

Simply heartbreaking. Rest In Peace. Will always remember waking up and watching him on SC when I was small. Can't imagine how that feels for his family and children.

Same, when I had ESPN America I would always wake up and watch SC. Scott always seemed to put me in a good mood to start my day. Sounds like from what I've read he really lived everyday to the fullest while battling cancer.

Rip

:sigh: much love for the guy. May he get a moment of silence in each of the remaining playoff games and hopefully the superbowl as well. RIP.

"As cool as the other side of the pillow" might be my favorite catchphrase of the sports anchors on ESPN. You could kind of tell he wasn't the same near the end, but when someone is fighting something internally, that would have to be expected. May he rest in peace and may us sports fans cherish the years we had to watch Stuart Scott.

Guest Phailadelphia

One of the few SC talking heads that I really didn't mind watching. RIP, man. :(

Scott made SC fun, but my favorite thing Stuart did was host Stump the Schwab. Rest in peace.

Yeah I loved that show too. R.I.P. :(

My thoughts/condolences go out to his family.

Sad stuff, always enjoyed watching him on ESPN when I was younger. Won't lie, I got teary eyed when Rich Eisen announced it on NFL network.