Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Jags to sign Julius Thomas

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to ESPN's Jeff Legwold, free agent Julius Thomas has made it clear to the Broncos he wants to be among the highest-paid tight ends in the league.
When healthy, Thomas has shown he can be a dominant mismatch creator -- especially in the red zone. But he's been injured in three of his four NFL seasons, often hampered by cumbersome ankle issues. And with the Broncos shifting to more of a run-based attack under Gary Kubiak, it would be a surprise if they ponied up the cash to re-sign Thomas. So look for Thomas to hit the open market in March and get overpaid as a player that benefited greatly from Peyton Manning's presence. Julius will be asking for something just below the four-year, $40M deal Jimmy Graham got in July. Feb 12 - 9:11 AM
Source: ESPN.com

He'll get overpaid and end up looking mediocre without Manning, imo.

It's not like he's going to forget being a 6'5" athletic freak. He may not put up another 12 touchdowns depending on where he lands, but mediocre was the wrong word to use IMO.

Thomas is a good player, not simply a product of Peyton and that offense, IMO. I mean, he played basketball in college, what more do you need?

• Upvote 1

It's not like he's going to forget being a 6'5" athletic freak. He may not put up another 12 touchdowns depending on where he lands, but mediocre was the wrong word to use IMO.

Nah, he's a product of the Peyton offense, imo. Emmanuel Sanders, too.

If we shell out what he's asking for I'll be very disappointed in John Elway but it wouldn't be the first time. Thomas is an incredible athlete, and certainly the best red-zone target on our team, but you can't pay top-tier money to a TE with only half of a top-tier tight-end's skillset. Juice is a complete liability in the run game. It was no surprise when CJ Anderson started to take off that Juice was hurt and Virgil Green was getting the majority of the snaps. VG has shown that he's one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL and I think Juice's departure will allow him to grow as a receiver. He already has developed some chemistry with Osweiler. If we franchise DT, it will be tough to overpay JT unless someone (Manning) takes a massive contract restructure, which I don't see happening.

Nah, he's a product of the Peyton offense, imo. Emmanuel Sanders, too.

I don't think you could be more wrong about Sanders. He bailed out Manning countless times with great catches on errant throws this year. Our passing offense was generally awful the back half of the season. He's more so a product of an offense that actually uses him.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Florida Times Union believes free agent Julius Thomas would be a "perfect fit" for the Jaguars.
The Jags have a ton of cap space and a need for a mismatch-creating "move" tight end. Thomas would help Blake Bortles -- particularly in the red zone -- but his fantasy stock would plummet in Jacksonville. Dynasty owners of Orange Julius should be hoping Denver locks up Demaryius Thomas long term and slaps Julius with the franchise tag, though that seems unlikely. Feb 15 - 1:30 PM

Per Rotoworld.com:

D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution expects the Falcons to target Julius Thomas in free agency.
After watching Levine Toilolo stumble through a dismal 2014 campaign, it's clear Atlanta will have to address tight end in free agency. Thomas is the best tight end on the market, but he won't come cheap. Last offseason, he turned down an offer from Denver that would have paid him $8 million annually. Thomas is a prime candidate to get overpaid in March thanks to his Peyton-inflated numbers. Feb 19 - 12:33 PM

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to the player rep for free agent Julius Thomas, Thomas' late-season ankle injury was later diagnosed as torn ligaments.
It wasn't just a high ankle sprain that cost Thomas time and robbed him of his late-season explosion. When Julius' father felt his son's toughness was being questioned, Greg Thomas allegedly used Twitter to lash out at the Broncos, Peyton Manning, GM John Elway, and the team's contract proposals. Per the Denver Post, the sides "seem to be headed their separate ways." Feb 20 - 4:05 PM
Source: Denver Post

Per Rotoworld.com:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Julius Thomas is expected to sign with the Jaguars, and the deal is "just about done."
Signs have been pointing to this for awhile, though we're not huge fans of the move from a fantasy perspective. Thomas will be a monster upgrade for Blake Bortles, but his overall fantasy stock would take a hit moving on from Peyton Manning. Expect Thomas and the Jaguars to sew this up Tuesday afternoon. Mar 8 - 1:52 PM

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Denver Post expects the Jaguars to sign free agent Julius Thomas to a five-year contract worth "close" to $45 million.
A $9 million annual average would put Thomas significantly ahead of Rob Gronkowski's $6.9 million average, and just short of Jimmy Graham's $10 million. The Raiders are believed to have dropped out of the running for Thomas, setting their sights on Jermaine Gresham instead. Beyond Jacksonville, it's not entirely clear who's bidding on "Orange Julius" at this point. Mar 8 - 11:28 PM
Source: Denver Post

Call me crazy, I think Bortles can actually use JT better than Peyton. Peyton just used him as the redzone threat you saw from like 15-20 years ago... Reminded me of watching the likes of Bubba Franks again.

I'm glad to see that the Jags are getting Bortles some weapons. I'm glad to see organizations do that for their young QBs. Always a move in the right direction imo.

Go get your money and play for nothing, dumbass.

Heard Hawks might try to poach him last minute.

Jags have some weapons in the passing game once Allen Robinson comes back. Looks like they're going to try and give Blake Bortles every chance to be their franchise QB. I'm really rooting for them to turn this thing around and I have faith that Gus Bradley will have that defense playing better football next year. New ownership and an energetic x's and o's coach could have this team make a big jump this year or the next.

Yeah, I can see the Jags rise in the horizon. I'd love to see if for the sake of change and I love it when under dogs make a turn around. Nothing bad can come out of it except for more exciting football. The Jags are trying to prime Bortles for success giving him a lot more weapons and I'm glad that they are making moves to help their young signal caller.

Jaguars signed TE Julius Thomas to a five-year, $46 million contract with $24 million guaranteed.

Rumored all weekend, Thomas officially went onto the Jaguars' books Tuesday at 4pm ET. The 26-year-old adds elite ball skills and pass-catching ability to a position where those qualities have been lacking since the Jaguars' inception. Thomas' fantasy outlook takes a severe hit, but he should remain a primary red-zone target. Unfortunately, his TD projection goes from the double digits with Peyton Manning to 5-6 per year with Blake Bortles

A higher avg/year than Gronk, yikes. Still don't think it'll be too bad for the Jags, this gives Bortles a legit 3rd down and redzone target.

Dolphins acquired TE Julius Thomas from the Jaguars in exchange for a seventh-round pick in the 2017 draft.

This trade is being made independent of the Branden Albert deal after Albert and Thomas were at one point expected to be dealt in exchange for each other. Turning 29 in June, Thomas was a colossal flop during his two-year stay in Jacksonville, catching only nine touchdowns across 21 games after scoring 24 times over his previous 27 with Peyton Manning in Denver. Going to Miami reunites Thomas with ex-Broncos OC Adam Gase, whose Dolphins roster was extremely thin at tight end. While Thomas is unlikely to recapture his Denver production, he should stand a better chance of rebounding into an impact player. He'll be a late-round flier in 2017 fantasy drafts, and a much-needed red-zone complement to Jarvis Landry and DeVante Parker in Miami's passing game.

:mjlaugh:

So they basically gave him away to get his contract off the books. Smart.