BLUE

Update: Dolphins sign RyanTannehill to extension

Per Rotoworld.com:

Dolphins VP of football operations Mike Tannenbaum said the team hasn’t decided whether to give Ryan Tannehill an extension.
Tannehill’s value is peaking after he posted career highs in passing yards (4,045) and touchdowns (27). The Dolphins are expected to pick up his fifth-year option, and could make him play out 2015 before giving him a big-money deal. NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport expects Miami to extend Tannehill by Week 1. Apr 25 - 3:08 PM

Per Rotoworld.com:

Dolphins signed QB Ryan Tannehill to a new six-year, $96 million contract that includes $45 million guaranteed.
Tannehill was already under contract through 2016, so with four years tacked on he's now essentially signing a brand-new six-year deal. The $16 million annual average is lower than expected, suggesting the Dolphins did well in negotiations. A wide receiver early in his college career, Tannehill has steadily gotten better in each of his three NFL seasons. Tannehill set career highs in every statistic last year, his first under OC Bill Lazor. Lazor has returned, and Tannehill's supporting cast was upgraded in the form of Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker, and Jordan Cameron to go with sophomore slot receiver Jarvis Landry. Last year's No. 9 overall fantasy passer, Tannehill has continued room for growth going on age 27. May 18 - 4:14 PM

I really like what the Dolphins have been building as of late. They're the best team that no one is talking about. I guess it depends on what happens with Brady, but it would not surprise me if they win the AFC East this year.

wait, who expected more than $16M per for six years?

Depending on market influence he might have gotten an accelerated deal, but I really think he won the deal getting 45 million guaranteed for himself.

• Upvote 1

Tannehill has shown that he's capable of doing everything that they've asked of him in the offense up to this point. They rarely look for the big plays, I mean, they don't really take shots down field. So he hasn't been asked to do those types of things. He's been on point for what they've asked. How can you expect anything else?

I'll be interested to see what he can do with the weapons he may actually have this year. Jarvis Landry looked great down the stretch last season. Greg Jennings is a guy who can consistently move the sticks, they added Kenny Stills who's shown flashes of good things when he was with the Saints. That's all without mentioning that they added Devante Parker in the draft, my personal favorite guy in this class of WR. I think they've got the makings of good things. Getting Tannehill locked up is going to do him well, he's going into this season with a bunch of new weapons and he's going to have a clear head all while doing so.

• Upvote 1

Ryan Tannehill's new contract only fully guaranteed him $21.5 million at signing.

Like most NFL contracts, the original reported number of $45 million guaranteed was a bit misleading. Tannehill received $21.5M guaranteed at signing and will get another $3.5M guaranteed when he's on the roster in March of 2016. But the $14.475M he's scheduled for in 2017 doesn't become guaranteed until March of that year and the same can be said for the $5.525M due in 2018. It's a reasonably team-friendly deal that is essentially "pay as you go" after 2-3 years -- similar to the recent Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick extensions. Tannehill will have to earn that back-end money and if he does, the Dolphins will be happy to pay it.

Never mind, the money wins again!

This was a good sign but the Dolphins. Tannehill was pretty raw coming out and it looks like Bill Lazor has done a pretty good job coaching him up. If the Dolphins start surrounding him with talent and protection, I think he can be dangerous. He's a good athlete and he's shown he can make the throws. I'm excited to watch him continue to grow and give me sneaky value late in fantasy drafts.

Yea, Tannehill has improved tremendously each year so far. I think he might even still have some growth in there. He's a late bloomer for sure. Dolphins will be an interesting team to watch over the next few years.

• Upvote 1

Ry Tan is going to set the league on fire this season.