Favre4Ever

Cardinals Hire First Female Coach In League History

TEMPE, Ariz. -- In March, Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians was asked when the NFL would have a female coach.

The answer was Monday.

The Cardinals hired Jen Welter as an assistant coaching intern for training camp and the preseason to work with inside linebackers. She is believed to be the first female coach of any kind in the NFL.

"Someone asked me yesterday, 'When are we going to have female coaches?'" Arians said. "The minute they can prove they can make a player better, they'll be hired."

Welter took to Twitter after the announcement.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13328608/jen-welter-hired-arizona-cardinals-assistant-coach

Cardinals finally getting on the good side of the record books. Great news. I really hope she can make a positive impact and not just Danica Patrick up the NFL some.

It'll be interesting to see how the players respond to her.

interesting, apparently she coached LBs and special teams for an indoor team this spring, a team she played for in 2014

I actually think I remember seeing this video last year:

that's her running the ball

Please no sexual harassment guys, please. :sigh:

Good for her though.

Yeah... That's an element that is a very legitimate concern and could potentially be a big disaster waiting to happen.

Is this a joke? lol I would be shocked if the players showed her any kind of respect. I know I wouldn't.

That's because you're a pig Sean.

Is this a joke? lol I would be shocked if the players showed her any kind of respect. I know I wouldn't.

As long as she gives constructive criticism that makes sense and helps improve the players' game, it shouldn't matter who the coach is. Now I must admit if she does fuck up or gives bad advice/coaching, she will lose the lockerroom very quickly sadly because of her sex in a male-dominated business.

Daryl Washington is probably gonna beat her up.

• Upvote 1

I think this is wonderful! I'm intrigued to see how it goes and how the players react to her.

Well no assaults yet, so that's good.

I think this is a huge leap for the NFL. I really hope she does a great job and more women can get jobs as coaches if the are qualified in the future.