BwareDWare94

Mack, Barr, or Mosley?

3 Young Defensive Studs  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which player do you want right now?

• Khalil Mack
    • Anthony Barr
    • CJ Mosley
  2. 2. Which player do you want in the future?

• Khalil Mack
    • Anthony Barr
    • CJ Mosley

The 2014 Draft also included a big 3 of defensive players, though they each player significantly different positions. However, each was incredibly important to their respective defenses as each was absolutely dominant--as rookies. Which player do you want right now? Which player do you want in the future?

Right now, Khalil Mack is an obvious choice. He had an astoundingly high TFL count last year (16, I believe), and his pass rushing abilities were on display as well. While CJ Mosley had a darn good year, he also walked into an already pretty good defense. Anthony Barr was probably leading the way for DRotY at midseason, but injuries completely derailed him and eventually shelved him for the reason. Until we know he's durable, I can't pick Anthony Barr.

For the future, I'm leaning Barr because he can make explosive plays up front or in the back end with his speed. Mack is primarily a run-stopper/pass rusher, and while he'll be elite at that during his career, Anthony Barr's versatility will win out if he stays healthy.

I'm taking Khalil Mack for now and the future. Mosley is a close second, but Mack pass rushing ability for his age is amazing. He is only going to become a more complete LBer with time.

Clowney :smug:

In all seriousness, I voted for Mack on both categories. Although Barr could potentially surpass Mack, I just don't see it happening.

I'm taking Khalil Mack for now and the future. Mosley is a close second, but Mack pass rushing ability for his age is amazing. He is only going to become a more complete LBer with time.

They moved him to DE

They didn't really 'move' him to DE. He's still an OLB. If you watched last year he played a large percentage of his snaps with the hand in the dirt anyway.

The answers are Khalil Mack and Khalil Mack.

Only players in this past draft imo that are better then Mack is Donald.

The thing about Barr is that I'm scared (because I actually wanna see him do well) that he'll develop into a jack of all trades, master of none type of players. Which isn't bad, but I think it'd be better if the Vikings stuck him at DE.

Only players in this past draft imo that are better then Mack is Donald.

The thing about Barr is that I'm scared (because I actually wanna see him do well) that he'll develop into a jack of all trades, master of none type of players. Which isn't bad, but I think it'd be better if the Vikings stuck him at DE.

He'd be a sack machine but I think they like his sideline to sideline speed too much to minimize his responsibilities.

Mack all the way.

On a side Note: Long time no see people

Welcome back man!

I mean I felt a little biased coming into this thread due to Mack being one of my favorite players in the NFL but it seems like pretty much everyone else agrees with me.

Yea this poll was a no brainer IMO. The other one is a lot more interesting.

You don't think it'd be better for his development if they just stuck him at DE?

It'd be better for his immediate impact, but he's already really good as LB. His coverage is fine. His sideline to sideline tackling is absolutely superb, and he is really good at finding the ball when it's popped loose. You stick his hand in the dirt and don't let him work in space and you lose so much of what he can do. Realize how lean the guy is. He's not built like Mack at all.

• Upvote 2

It'd be better for his immediate impact, but he's already really good as LB. His coverage is fine. His sideline to sideline tackling is absolutely superb, and he is really good at finding the ball when it's popped loose. You stick his hand in the dirt and don't let him work in space and you lose so much of what he can do. Realize how lean the guy is. He's not built like Mack at all.

This is exactly how I feel about Barr. He's almost lanky, but deceptively quick.

This is exactly how I feel about Barr. He's almost lanky, but deceptively quick.

Deceptive is definitely a word for Anthony Barr. You don't expect the speed because he's definitely got size to him, but not enough that you expect the sheer power he has, either. The dude was pancaking offensive lineman on a regular basis when he was healthy, last year. Maybe it's Minnesota homerism, but guys like Paul Allen claim he was leading the way for Defensive Rookie of the Year prior to his injury last year. Mack gets a lot of flashy coverage because of the TFL's and the sacks that will pile up this year, but Anthony Barr is going to intercept some passes. Anthony Barr is going to force fumbles in space. Anthony Barr is going to cover the shit out of some players that Mack couldn't even pretend to hang with. Khalil Mack is an absolute beast, but Anthony Barr is going to catch up with him if he stays healthy.

I took Mack now and Barr later.

I think the conversation is very much centered around the positions they play. Simply put whatever they want to call Mack he is basically playing DE, and as such he is losing opportunity to display his full skills, whereas Barr is getting that chance.

Originally these two were flip flopped for me. I would have loved to see Barr just be a DE in an even front or rush LB in an odd front. And see Mack be a stack LB that blitzes every now and then. However, Barr has shown to be much much better in coverage and LB reads than anyone could have predicted. Mack is doing what I knew he would, with great athleticism it isn't hard to become a good DE. But Mack has the best COD skills I've seen in a LB in a very very long time. Which means he would have been an absolute stud in coverage, and we know he has the pass rushing skills to blitz.

Again I think with their current status staying true...Barr will have the chance to grow until a more well rounded player than Mack. I know some people just care about production in one category or being elite at that position, but for me versatility is the most value.

Mack looks ready to destroy this league. 4 sacks last year he will at the very least triple that maybe even quadruple it. Not to mention he's already one of the strongest run defenders.