Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

TGP Primary Poll: Republicans

20 members have voted

1. 1. As of today, who would you vote for?

• Jeb Bush
    • Ben Carson
    • Chris Christie
    • Ted Cruz
    • Carly Fiorina
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John Kasich
    • Rand Paul
    • Marco Rubio
    • Donald Trump
    • Scott Walker
    • Other

Ya, there isn't really one "winner". With Trump, I actually think he is just going to be a talking head. Granted, that isn't a great thing, but I do believe he will get incredibly educated and knowledgeable people to make the decisions behind him.

Mostly the same thing with Carson... I like that he isn't a career politician and if he just kinda sits in the oval office overseeing everything, he will be fine. He will say stupid things from time to time, but if that's the worst that comes out of a Carson presidency, I am okay with that.

And I like just how honest Kasich is. When he was discussing immigration last night, he mentioned... It doesn't really matter what he thinks they should do with the 11M illegals because in the end, it isn't very practical that we go around and send authorities into home and deport them all. It's just not practical, and whether you think we should do it or not -- the chances of ANY candidate actually getting that done is close to 0.

That kind of honesty will never win a Presidential election, but I appreciate the candor.

Kasich still has running mate potential to me, so there's (faint) hope.

The only GOP candidate that I can see myself voting for is Kasich. The rest I cannot and will absolutely not.

I would vote for Rubio. Cruz and Trump- no way on earth.

Trump is a homophobic, racist, bigot and the idea that he'd get "really smart" people behind him to make the decisions is kinda silly when you think about it. You really think President Trump is going to take advice that doesn't line up with what he already is thinking?

I'd take Bernie Sanders over all three probably, but I feel like the Dems are not going to let him have much of a chance. They want Hillary, and this time they're going to make sure she gets it.

I would vote for Rubio. Cruz and Trump- no way on earth.

Trump is a homophobic, racist, bigot and the idea that he'd get "really smart" people behind him to make the decisions is kinda silly when you think about it. You really think President Trump is going to take advice that doesn't line up with what he already is thinking?

I'd take Bernie Sanders over all three probably, but I feel like the Dems are not going to let him have much of a chance. They want Hillary, and this time they're going to make sure she gets it.

Absolutely. That's like the one thing positive that could come of of him winning, imo. He hasn't been successful in business by just going rogue and careless. Heck, Trump has been attacked by Cruz and Rubio for saying he'd be more than willing to work with Democrats to actually get things done. Attacked..... For doing what he should be doing. Anyone (and I'm not implying you) who believes the work of President involves sitting in the Oval Office and penning legislation and making decisions alone is delusional.

IMO a vote for Rubio is a vote for the status quo. A vote for your grandpappys Republican Party. They are still racists and bigots who merely hide who they are. A Rubio victory would be a severe step backwards for a party that is trying to correct itself from the ground upwards.

If you are voting for Rubio simply Because you feel he is the moral high ground.... Let me tell you about delusional.

A Rubio victory would be a severe step backwards for a party that is trying to correct itself from the ground upwards.

That's the problem, though. The Republican Party isn't trying to correct itself. They should be embracing pragmatic candidates like Kasich, but instead they rally around Ted Cruz, who prides himself on "protecting the Ten Commandments" and who called the Supreme Court's gay marriage decision "some of the darkest days in our history."

They refuse to get with the times, keep sticking to their "family values" bullshit, and are completely oblivious to the fact that their social and economic policies aren't resonating with non-white voters.

When Romney lost to Obama in 2012, Republicans had to look in the mirror and wonder, "How the hell did this happen?" I guess they rationalized it by saying Romney was a flawed candidate, and that they would never get blacks to vote against Obama. But man, if they end up losing to Hillary Clinton this year...talk about a reality check. At least, it should be, right?

Edited by SteVo

That's the problem, though. The Republican Party isn't trying to correct itself. They should be embracing pragmatic candidates like Kasich, but instead they rally around Ted Cruz, who prides himself on "protecting the Ten Commandments" and who called the Supreme Court's gay marriage decision "some of the darkest days in our history."

They refuse to get with the times, keep sticking to their "family values" bullshit, and are completely oblivious to the fact that their social and economic policies aren't resonating with non-white voters.

When Romney lost to Obama in 2012, Republicans had to look in the mirror and wonder, "How the hell did this happen?" I guess they rationalized it by saying Romney was a flawed candidate, and that they would never get blacks to vote against Obama. But man, if they end up losing to Hillary Clinton this year...talk about a reality check. At least, it should be, right?

"Rally behind Cruz"? A couple things on that. For one, the guy rarely if ever breaks 25%. He certainly has a group that has rallied to him, but it's not like he has some unstoppable force behind him. And speaking of rallies, how about the establishment rallying around Rubio? Cruz is a guy who has only won a single state, and only after some of the dirtiest politics I have ever witnessed in my life .

With that said... I think that shows that the party is moving forward. It's broken right now , yes, but because so many sects are emerging from within -- which is why you see three candidates consistently polling above 20%. You have the fuddy duddys , the libertarians, the uber capitalists, the war mongers... A huge portion of the party is beginning to move into a more moderate spectrum. The political lifers and status quo are losing, even if it's slowly.

Yes, Hillary winning would be a disaster and quite the embarrassment. But it's about so much more than a single election.

1) Bad decision on my part to make it seem like I was centering on Cruz. Obviously not all right-wingers are rallying around him. I was more so trying to imply the majority of Republican voters supporting bigots like he and Trump, collectively. Speaking of...

2) I sure hope you're right about the party moving forward. Maybe President Clinton 2.0 is what it takes to shake things up adequately?

Yes, Hillary winning would be a disaster and quite the embarrassment. But it's about so much more than a single election.

This is why I think a Trump blowout loss would be the best thing for the country. It might finally get the Republican party to move into the 21st century. I generally disagree with their economic plans, but I can understand them. The racism and homophobia that has taken over the party has gotten to be too much for them to be taken seriously.

This is why I think a Trump blowout loss would be the best thing for the country. It might finally get the Republican party to move into the 21st century. I generally disagree with their economic plans, but I can understand them. The racism and homophobia that has taken over the party has gotten to be too much for them to be taken seriously.

Republicans' economic policy is a good one in theory (it worked in the 80's), but the 21st century version of that policy has been to fulfill the cliche "rich get richer, poor get poorer" without sustaining economic growth. Even worse, Republicans have done damn near close to nothing to counter the mainstream perception that Republicans are only out to cut taxes for the rich and don't give a shit about the middle class.

In regards to both your first point and Stevo's that he has made a couple of times now... Maybe that is what it will take. Honeslty, I would be naive and ignorant to say I knew the answer to that question.The actual result of crushing Trump loss / Hillary presidency is unknown to us all, but we may soon witness that truth.

And I don't think racism and homophobia have "taken over the party". It's always been there, it's just being broadcast louder than ever right now. It is what dominates headlines. And like I said, I think the the "problem" with the GOP right now is that large chunks of voting blocs are becoming more moderate, especially on social issues. Thus, if the party was truly overrun by those types, they wouldn't have any "problem" at all.. Because we wouldn't be seeing the divide that we are right now.

• Upvote 1

More than anything, this election season is making me realize how much I miss Ron Paul. I'm not sure I'll ever (in the near future, at least) love a presidential candidate like I supported him in 2012.

Guest Phailadelphia

The GOP establishment has, from day one, made the argument that Trump does not represent conservative values yet his poll numbers, votes, and popularity continue to spike. Wonder if the GOP is beginning to realize Repub voters don't seem to care about conservatism.

Republicans' economic policy is a good one in theory (it worked in the 80's), but the 21st century version of that policy has been to fulfill the cliche "rich get richer, poor get poorer" without sustaining economic growth. Even worse, Republicans have done damn near close to nothing to counter the mainstream perception that Republicans are only out to cut taxes for the rich and don't give a shit about the middle class.

This is really the reason IMO that the GOP hasn't won the popular vote in what, 5 of the last 6 elections? Where are the new ideas? Reagan has been out of office for 3 decades and the GOP hasn't come up with a new idea since despite the fact that the US and the world has progressed in so many different respects. They don't even have a counter to Obamacare if they were to repeal it. It's become the party of no ideas.

This is really the reason IMO that the GOP hasn't won the popular vote in what, 5 of the last 6 elections?

True, and a valid point. Just for the record...

1992: Clinton > Bush (< Perot)

1996: Clinton > Dole

2000: Gore > Bush

2004: Bush > Kerry

2008: Obama > McCain

2012: Obama > Romney

The 2012 election should have been the wake-up call the GOP needed.

Edited by SteVo

I know everyone loves a good conspiracy theory so... There may be rumors that the Koch brothers have pooled an insane amount of money from a large group of donors in order to back Rubio and stop Trump from gaining the nomination. Maybe craziest thing of all, they still aren't ruling out a Romney run if Rubio fails on Super Tuesday.

There has been rumors of a massive Koch Brothers campaign to thwart Trump for weeks... But now that Rubio has all of a sudden turned on his best Aaron Eckhart (or do you prefer Tommy Lee Jones) and Two-Face impression.. Coupled with the fact Romney is all of a sudden vocal again -- I don't think this may be too large of a stretch.

How could Romney hope to get enough delegates after super tuesday?

Guest Phailadelphia

How could Romney hope to get enough delegates after super tuesday?

Wouldn't need it if the party can get a brokered convention.

If Trump gets the most delegates and the party nominates Romney, he will run third party. 100% guaranteed.

Let's have a brokered convention. We seem well on the way.

Absolutely. That's like the one thing positive that could come of of him winning, imo. He hasn't been successful in business by just going rogue and careless. Heck, Trump has been attacked by Cruz and Rubio for saying he'd be more than willing to work with Democrats to actually get things done. Attacked..... For doing what he should be doing. Anyone (and I'm not implying you) who believes the work of President involves sitting in the Oval Office and penning legislation and making decisions alone is delusional.

IMO a vote for Rubio is a vote for the status quo. A vote for your grandpappys Republican Party. They are still racists and bigots who merely hide who they are. A Rubio victory would be a severe step backwards for a party that is trying to correct itself from the ground upwards.

If you are voting for Rubio simply Because you feel he is the moral high ground.... Let me tell you about delusional.

He really isn't that successful. As someone else has pointed out, he could easily have made nearly the same profit by just putting his fortune in banks.

A Rubio victory would be a severe step backwards. What is Trump then, a giant leap backwards?

Zodiac Killer: 38 Percent of Florida Voters Think It Is Possible Ted Cruz Is Serial Killer, Poll Says
When asked, "Do you think Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer?" by Public Policy Polling, 10 percent said yes and 28 percent weren't sure. The Zodiac Killer was active in 1968, and Cruz was born in 1970.

• Upvote 1

If the Zodiac Killer is part of a supernatural being that changes form and inhabits various bodies to commit crimes, I wouldn't be shocked.

True, and a valid point. Just for the record...

1992: Clinton > Bush (< Perot)

1996: Clinton > Dole

2000: Gore > Bush

2004: Bush > Kerry

2008: Obama > McCain

2012: Obama > Romney

The 2012 election should have been the wake-up call the GOP needed.

lolElectoralCollege

• Upvote 1

Romney was a pretty moderate candidate from what I could tell, and he still lost. There isn't anyone even close to Romney in terms of electability, IMO, so I don't think the GOP will win this election regardless of the nomination. It will just be more shameful if Trump makes it to the General Election at all.