Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

TGP Primary Poll: Republicans

20 members have voted

1. 1. As of today, who would you vote for?

• Jeb Bush
    • Ben Carson
    • Chris Christie
    • Ted Cruz
    • Carly Fiorina
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John Kasich
    • Rand Paul
    • Marco Rubio
    • Donald Trump
    • Scott Walker
    • Other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iefXdC794I

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/politics/mitt-romney-stop-trump-at-convention/index.html

Washington (CNN)Mitt Romney has instructed his closest advisers to explore the possibility of stopping Donald Trump at the Republican National Convention, a source close to Romney's inner circle says.

The 2012 GOP nominee's advisers are examining what a fight at the convention might look like and what rules might need revising.

"It sounds like the plan is to lock the convention," said the source.

Romney is focused on suppressing Trump's delegate count to prevent him from accumulating the 1,237 delegates he needs to secure the nomination.

But implicit in Romney's request to his team to explore the possibility of a convention fight is his willingness to step in and carry the party's banner into the fall general election as the Republican nominee. Another name these sources mentioned was House Speaker Paul Ryan, Romney's running mate in 2012.

You don't have to read too far between the lines of the speech Romney gave Thursday at the University of Utah to see the imprint of this plan. He urged voters to support the candidate most likely to prevent Trump from racking up delegates in their states -- saying he'd back Florida Sen. Marco Rubio if he were voting in the Sunshine State, Gov. John Kasich if he were voting in Ohio, or Texas Sen. Ted Cruz in the states where he polls as Trump's strongest foe.

"If the other candidates can find common ground, I believe we can nominate a person who can win the general election and who will represent the values and policies of conservatism," Romney said.

According to the source, Romney does not expect Rubio, Cruz or Kasich to emerge as the single candidate that can accumulate 1,237 delegates and outright defeat Trump before the convention. So the only way to rob Trump of a victory would be to keep him from reaching that magic 1,237 number.

Most Republican states allocate their delegates proportionally, or in a hybrid format that gives delegates both to the statewide winner and at the congressional district level. This means rather than winnowing the competition down to a single Trump alternative, it could make more sense for all of the current candidates to stay in the race for a stop Trump movement, according to one source.

In addition, two senior Republican Party insiders told CNN that the convention scenario is now dominating a lot of conversation in GOP fundraising circles. To be sure, both of these sources are skeptical about Romney being able to execute this plan, but both believe that there is a real attempt underway to try to do this.

In the meantime, they said to look for Republicans like Romney to continue to cast doubt on Trump's business record and to keep pushing for him to release his tax returns.

"His bankruptcies have crushed small businesses and the men and women who worked for them," Romney said of Trump during his speech Thursday. "He inherited his business, he didn't create it. And whatever happened to Trump Airlines?

How about Trump University? And then there's Trump Magazine and Trump Vodka and Trump Steaks, and Trump mortgage? A business genius he is not."

Asked by CNN's Wolf Blitzer about reports that Romney would try to block Trump at the convention, RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said he had not heard about that or had any conversations about that.

"Not really. This is the kind of conversation that's so far way from where this process is at. There are 1700+ more delegates to go," he said, adding later, "I just think it's a waste of time playing those matrix games right now."

If creating doubt about Trump's success starts to pay dividends and the convention plan were to come to fruition, these Republican Party insiders believe it will likely drive Trump into a third party candidacy in the fall.

Trump has repeatedly threatened an independent run if he isn't treated "fairly" by Republicans.

After Romney attacked Trump in a blistering speech Thursday morning, Trump hit back by mocking Romney's 2012 loss at a campaign rally in Portland, Maine -- pointing to Romney's efforts to secure Trump's endorsement.

"He was begging for my endorsement. I could have said, 'Mitt, drop to your knees' -- he would have dropped to his knees," he said.

He said of 2012: "That was a race, I have to say, folks, that should have been won. ... I don't know what happened to him. He disappeared. He disappeared. And I wasn't happy about it, I'll be honest, because I am not a fan of Barack Obama, because I backed Mitt Romney -- I backed Mitt Romney. You can see how loyal he is."

Trump said Romney thought about running again in 2016, but "chickened out."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzuyXzUrg2c

I think it's pretty hilarious and also really sad. Like, what authority does Romney have to call out Trump on releasing his taxes or flip-flopping on issues, for example? And him talking about Trumps money or personal wealth or his companies? Romney was a lot better at it with what he was working with... But it wasn't long ago that Romney was the super rich executive that was arrogant, pompous, and out of touch with the middle and low classes.

All Romney has done on this stage is run pathetic campaigns and LOSE. With that said, I am not saying he is necessarily wrong -- just that it is really rich considering who it is coming from.

He either needs to put his hat into the ring, or shut up.

Washington (CNN)Mitt Romney has instructed his closest advisers to explore the possibility of stopping Donald Trump at the Republican National Convention, a source close to Romney's inner circle says.

The 2012 GOP nominee's advisers are examining what a fight at the convention might look like and what rules might need revising.

"It sounds like the plan is to lock the convention," said the source.

CNN

Edited by Favre4Ever

I would vote for Mitt in a heart beat over any of these clowns.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The fact that Mitt Romney looks like a saint compared to Donald Trump shows you just how fucking moronic Trump is.

I'm with oochymp. I don't know if I can vote for Hillary, but I will seriously consider it if my only other real option is fucking Donald Drumpf.

As far as what Favre just posted: Changing your views on someone in four years because he's now much more in the national spotlight than he was is not necessarily hypocrisy.

Edited by Thanatos

The fact that Mitt Romney looks like a saint compared to Donald Trump shows you just how fucking moronic Trump is.

I'm with oochymp. I don't know if I can vote for Hillary, but I will seriously consider it if my only other real option is fucking Donald Drumpf.

As far as what Favre just posted: Changing your views on someone in four years because he's now much more in the national spotlight than he was is not necessarily hypocrisy.

I think it's hypocrisy to call someone out for the same things you do / have done -- wouldn't you? Seems like it kinda nails the definition to the wall with unrelenting force.

I think it's hypocrisy to call someone out for the same things you do / have done -- wouldn't you? Seems like it kinda nails the definition to the wall with unrelenting force.

Trump addressed that and said he endorsed Romney because he wanted to get rid of obama. Might be bs, but its logically consistent.

Trump addressed that and said he endorsed Romney because he wanted to get rid of obama. Might be bs, but its logically consistent.

I am talking about Romney blasting Trump for not releasing his taxes when Romney didn't release them until 2 months before people went to vote. I am talking about Romney calling out Trump for flip flopping on the issues when he himself was torn to shreds for flip flopping on the issues. I am talking about Romney tearing down Trump for being rich and out of touch when he himself is worth hundreds of millions and lost the 2012 election because he failed to connect to the everyday American.

I understand and am fine with peoples views changing over time. The hypocrisy comes in the fact that Romney is the man he is trying to destroy. It's like he is looking in a mirror, and it would be more comical if it wasn't so sad.

I am talking about Romney blasting Trump for not releasing his taxes when Romney didn't release them until 2 months before people went to vote. I am talking about Romney calling out Trump for flip flopping on the issues when he himself was torn to shreds for flip flopping on the issues. I am talking about Romney tearing down Trump for being rich and out of touch when he himself is worth hundreds of millions and lost the 2012 election because he failed to connect to the everyday American.

I understand and am fine with peoples views changing over time. The hypocrisy comes in the fact that Romney is the man he is trying to destroy. It's like he is looking in a mirror, and it would be more comical if it wasn't so sad.

Oh, yeah that was stupid. Really this whole thing is. Trump is shitty, but how can you be a party if you basically tell your voting base "you guys picked the wrong guy. we're endorsing someone else."

As I posted in the tidbit from CNN earlier, Romney advisers and lawyers are planning right now how they can change or get around the rules of the RNC to ensure Trump doesn't get the nomination. It isn't the exact same, but Romney lawyers did this same thing to Ron Paul in 2012 with insane success and precision.... Needless to say, they know what they are doing.

As I posted in the tidbit from CNN earlier, Romney advisers and lawyers are planning right now how they can change or get around the rules of the RNC to ensure Trump doesn't get the nomination. It isn't the exact same, but Romney lawyers did this same thing to Ron Paul in 2012 with insane success and precision.... Needless to say, they know what they are doing.

What? Ron Paul got like 1/5th of the votes of Romney, and Romney got almost 10x the delegates as Paul. What did Romney do, or for that matter what'd he have to do?

What? Ron Paul got like 1/5th of the votes of Romney, and Romney got almost 10x the delegates as Paul. What did Romney do, or for that matter what'd he have to do?

If you are only going to watch one, watch the last one as it explains everything in the shortest amount of time and in the best manner, IMO.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Oh, that. It was a dick move, but its not like it would've had any impact on the nomination. Keeping the loser's name from being spoken at the vote is way different than using legal tricks to make sure the guy who won the most delegates by far doesn't get the nomination.

Oh, that. It was a dick move, but its not like it would've had any impact on the nomination. Keeping the loser's name from being spoken at the vote is way different than using legal tricks to make sure the guy who won the most delegates by far doesn't get the nomination.

I am not sure you watched anything I posted, although to be fair.. I did post the best one last and in an edit.

In 2012 or prior to the rule changes of 2012 any candidate could be placed on the floor of the RNC as a nominee for president if they controlled a majority of delegates in at least 5 states. Ron Paul had this majority in 5 states (more than 5 actually). The delegates had the power to officially put Ron Paul's name up for nomination and stop Mitt Romney from taking it flat out and without contest... It would have brokered the convention and caused complete chaos. Republicans aren't unified behind Romney? *gasp* Ron Paul has been nominated for President of the United States? *gasp*

The Romney campaign and the RNC went around to some of those states, such as Maine and Massachusetts and discredited Ron Paul delegates and removed them from their position so they could be replaced with Romney delegates. Entire delegations were removed and replace days and weeks before the convention.

They not only broke rules and closed loopholes to remove entire delegations, but Rance Preibus called to motion multiple rule changes which you can see in the videos I posted where a clear majority is needed to pass... The No's are clearly equal to or overpowering of the Yays, and the motions carry anyway -- led by the RNC and Romney lawyers.

If they didn't do what they did... Ron Paul would have been placed as an official nominee for President of the United States in the Republican Party. There would have been chaos and the RNC was not about to allow it to appear as if Romney didn't have the unwavering support of the party... So they removed delegates, ENTIRE STATES WORTH, of delegates.

You are very right.. They are different situations (I said this same exact thing when I brought it up). But the RNC is going to silence the Trump supporters just like they did to Ron Paul to ensure his name isn't placed on the convention floor for nomination.

If there would have been no impact.... Why did they go to so much effort to stop it? If it was going to make no impact on the nomination... why did they change the rules so it could NEVER happen again?

Edited by Favre4Ever

Not by enough to discourage the same bullshit tactics from being used again.

Oh wow I didn't know about that. I thought the party just had the delegates vote to name one nominee. I never knew two nominees was even allowed. I knew the party ignored the Paul voters. I had already seen that video and assumed thats what you were talking about.

Still, they were able to get away with it because Paul never had a chance to win the election. I'm sure most people don't even know that that happened. There is no way to discreetly screw Trump over.

I'm under the assumption that Trump is using the insane bullshit talk to draw in love from radical republicans. Some of the shit he is saying is making it increasingly hard to take that chance though. I really hope that NY Times interview is leaked so we can get insight into what he is actually wanting to do. If he does truly want to kill the families of terrorists and institute methods of torture worse than waterboarding, I retract all support for him. If he thinks he can break international law and tell the military to do something they aren't allowed because he says to, I retract all support for him. With that said, Fox tried to conduct an insane hit job tonight. It was so incredibly obvious they're gunning to knock out Trump. They prepared every way they could to attack him on every level, and it's absolutely outrageous how incredibly biased and unfairly they treated the situation.

This election more than any other before it is proof of a broken system. The democrats have thrown every weapon they have behind Hillary Clinton with hopes of pushing through their agenda. They've stacked the deck and made it near impossible for a genuine candidate like Bernie to take off. In much the same way, the Republican party has failed to uphold what the people want. Whether Trump is at 35% or not, they need to respect the decision of the voters and treat all candidates equally, not perform a hit job on their leading candidate. The two-party system needs to be eliminated as soon as possible. The country should be representing citizens, not big money interests.

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

The leading GOP candidate bragged about his dick during a debate. This isn't funny anymore.

Is that better or worse than Rubio talking about [Trump's] dick at a rally?

He totally baited that kind of response and Trump decided to do it better and on a bigger stage -- that's his style. I didn't really think much of it, actually. It was kind of funny, IMO and I found it really insignificant.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Guest Phailadelphia

Trump taking the bait is exactly the problem. I don't want the most powerful person in the world to be one who not only is incapable of taking the higher road but brags about his dick size on national TV and has a super weird obsession with and insecurity about the size of his hands. Tells me a lot about how his brain is wired. He's as sociopathic as Carson but in a different way.

Trump taking the bait is exactly the problem. I don't want the most powerful person in the world to be one who not only is incapable of taking the higher road but brags about his dick size on national TV and has a super weird obsession with and insecurity about the size of his hands. Tells me a lot about how his brain is wired. He's as sociopathic as Carson but in a different way.

Donald Drumph is a textbook narcissist, as in the medical textbook. Dude needs help.

All those people are sociopaths.. Sorry to spoil the dream.

tumblr_o3fzod4QAd1qg5qdto1_1280.jpg

Point proven, QED.

Boy, with each one of these debates, I like John Kasich more and more.