Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

TGP Primary Poll: Republicans

20 members have voted

1. 1. As of today, who would you vote for?

• Jeb Bush
    • Ben Carson
    • Chris Christie
    • Ted Cruz
    • Carly Fiorina
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John Kasich
    • Rand Paul
    • Marco Rubio
    • Donald Trump
    • Scott Walker
    • Other

The Trump Tax Plan Ends The Unfair Death Tax

The death tax punishes families for achieving the American dream. Therefore, the Trump plan eliminates the death tax.

There it is.

Edited by blotsfan

I loved the "I win" form, that should definitely be adopted

regarding the death tax, right now I'm pretty sure it only applies if the decedant's gross estate is over $5.3 Million, so most Americans wouldn't notice it going away

Yeah it sounds like a really stupid idea to me, the government should not get to tax someone's estate after they die, and it's always pressed as an issue by Republicans... except its not going to affect 99% of Americans.

Edited by Thanatos19

The reason the death tax is a problem is that it can end any chances descendants had of continuing the business. This is particularly true at mid-sized farm operations where the death tax takes so much money away that next of kin end up having to get out of the business altogether.

Personally, I wish we could "death tax" certain families and businesses (Waltons, Kardashians, etc.) but remove it for the general American.

• Upvote 1

They removed it for people worth less than 5 million. It also has provisions for the case of farms. The death tax is fine.

• Downvote 1

The death tax is never okay. The government has their fair share. They should not be allowed to doubled up on it just because someone dies.

Death tax is idiotic no matter how you slice it. You're worth a lot of money and you just died? Here, give it to the government. It may not be noticed by most Americans -- but that doesn't make it right. It's a legal rigth by the government to steal from you. Lol. It's like property tax in general. Hey... You own your house, but you don't really own it because we're going to tax you thousands on it every year.

Death tax is idiotic no matter how you slice it. You're worth a lot of money and you just died? Here, give it to the government. It may not be noticed by most Americans -- but that doesn't make it right. It's a legal rigth by the government to steal from you. Lol. It's like property tax in general. Hey... You own your house, but you don't really own it because we're going to tax you thousands on it every year.

Its about time someone thought of the children of the super rich. They've gotten the short end of the stick for so long.

• Downvote 1

Its about time someone thought of the children of the super rich. They've gotten the short end of the stick for so long.

I give zero shits about the children of the super rich. I simply don't like the government taking money they've already taxed. If you want to take their money raise the taxes while they're alive. Don't charge the kids because the parents died.

The death tax doesn't only affect the super rich BTW. It can kill family businesses.

Your sense of right and wrong is directed by how much money people have. It's really weird. Yes, they are "super rich". Doesn't make stealing from them "right". If you die in Iowa "super rich" by the time you pay your taxes from the grave, you could lose over 50% of your wealth.

Sorry, there's no way I think anyone can justify that. Right is right. Wrong is wrong. Whether you are super rich or super poor.

Although, I do feel better knowing that as a poor person you would be okay with me stealing from the rich because hey.. They're rich, why not. Or are you just okay with the government stealing it 'legally'? That'd be even more messed up. lol.

Your sense of right and wrong is directed by how much money people have. It's really weird. Yes, they are "super rich". Doesn't make stealing from them "right". If you die in Iowa "super rich" by the time you pay your taxes from the grave, you could lose over 50% of your wealth.

Sorry, there's no way I think anyone can justify that. Right is right. Wrong is wrong. Whether you are super rich or super poor.

Although, I do feel better knowing that as a poor person you would be okay with me stealing from the rich because hey.. They're rich, why not. Or are you just okay with the government stealing it 'legally'? That'd be even more messed up. lol.

:shrug:

I personally think the death tax may have been implemented to bring in all the tax payments rich fuckers have evaded while they were living. If that's the theory, I don't view it as stealing.

Nevertheless, it shouldn't accumulate to an amount that can force descendants into giving up the business.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Guest Phailadelphia

Why do you always equate taxation to theft?

And why are we concerned that people worth hundreds of millions may lose half their wealth *after they die*?

Edited by Phailadelphia

Taxation isn't theft. Taxation on money that's already been taxed is theft.

So you think the sales tax is wrong?

Wait, you think the sales tax is right?

• Upvote 2

Why do you always equate taxation to theft?

And why are we concerned that people worth hundreds of millions may lose half their wealth *after they die*?

The death tax is a little different than your every day income or sales tax is it not? Why aren't you concerned is the better question. Of course there are other, much higher priorities... Still doesn't make it right. You're getting "taxed" because you're rich and you died... Lol. What? There is literally no justification for it. None.

I am surprised you don't. With the regressive nature of the sales tax, I figured you'd be all for abolishing it. Ya know, I might have some crazy ideas or opinions on politics, but at least I am consistently crazy. You know where I am going to stand on most issues. You are like all over the map... Screw rich, people... Give poor people all the handouts because we feel bad for them.. but hey, fucking poor people is okay as long as we do it with the sales tax.

I don't get it... ha. Obviously actually abolishing the sales tax would require some... financial wizardry. I don't have the answer to the that, not a bonafide one anyway. Maybe only make the sales tax effective on high price items... Maybe up the capital gains or something? I dunno, like I said I don't have a definite solution.

But to answer your question, yes I believe the sales tax is generally wrong. I hate income tax a LOT more though.

Ok so new question: do you think the government has a right to any tax at all? If so, under what circumstances?

Taxation isn't theft. Taxation on money that's already been taxed is theft.

Most of the wealthy's money has never been taxed because they've found ways around taxation. Take as much as possible!

The death tax is a little different than your every day income or sales tax is it not? Why aren't you concerned is the better question. Of course there are other, much higher priorities... Still doesn't make it right. You're getting "taxed" because you're rich and you died... Lol. What? There is literally no justification for it. None.

the justification is to limit the development of an aristocracy and concentration of wealth (which admittedly happens anyway, there's only so much you can do to delay that and there are always workarounds) also the heirs did nothing to build that wealth so why should we care if the government takes a cut?

The flaw with that argument is that the sales tax is somewhat optional. You can avoid it by not purchasing goods. You can't avoid the death tax.

Most of the wealthy's money has never been taxed because they've found ways around taxation. Take as much as possible!

You're generalizing. Not all rich people stash their money in the Cayman Islands and dance around on the backs of poor people.

the justification is to limit the development of an aristocracy and concentration of wealth (which admittedly happens anyway, there's only so much you can do to delay that and there are always workarounds) also the heirs did nothing to build that wealth so why should we care if the government takes a cut?

The issue with that is taxing the money does nothing to actually distribute the wealth. If it were taking half the wealth and putting it in programs to help the poor sure. The simple fact is it's government theft.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

The issue with that is taxing the money does nothing to actually distribute the wealth. If it were taking half the wealth and putting it in programs to help the poor sure. The simple fact is it's government theft.

there's so much government spending that there's no direct line "X pays for Y" in the federal budget, that said, some portion of the death tax is going into the welfare pot, the bottom line is the only way the government has to make money is taxing and the death tax as currently constituted is really one of the more benign ways of doing that

If you consider the death tax to be benign I don't think we can reach any agreement no matter how long we debate it.

If you consider the death tax to be benign I don't think we can reach any agreement no matter how long we debate it.

In relation to other forms of taxation I don't see how it isn't.

Any time the government taxes anything they're superseding someones legitimate interest in the money they're collecting. In general the other legitimate interest is typically higher in direct comparison to the government (most obvious in terms of income tax where the government is literally taking a chunk of the money you've earned at your job) But as I said above taxing is the only way for the government to create any real inflow of money, so unless you don't want any government (which plenty of people do) you have to be willing to concede some for of taxation.

When you're looking at a death tax the person who has accumulated the wealth has used what he or she could or wanted to. At that point the interest that the government is superseding isn't incredibly high, it's certainly lower than losing a chunk of your paycheck before it even gets to your hands.

Guest Phailadelphia

I am surprised you don't. With the regressive nature of the sales tax, I figured you'd be all for abolishing it. Ya know, I might have some crazy ideas or opinions on politics, but at least I am consistently crazy. You know where I am going to stand on most issues. You are like all over the map... Screw rich, people... Give poor people all the handouts because we feel bad for them.. but hey, fucking poor people is okay as long as we do it with the sales tax.

I don't get it... ha. Obviously actually abolishing the sales tax would require some... financial wizardry. I don't have the answer to the that, not a bonafide one anyway. Maybe only make the sales tax effective on high price items... Maybe up the capital gains or something? I dunno, like I said I don't have a definite solution.

But to answer your question, yes I believe the sales tax is generally wrong. I hate income tax a LOT more though.

There's plenty of justification for it. Your cognitive dissonance just doesn't allow you to comprehend it.

And again, why would I be concerned about a death tax? Even if I was a billionaire. Why does anyone need to maintain and continue accumulating wealth from the grave?