Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

The Rise of College Crybullies

-Agree with Oochy

-Ferve should be banned

-"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

Doesn't matter what space this is happening or who is choosing to speak up...there is nothing crying or bullying about what these students choosing to act. They have every single right through every single cent paid to that school to have the environment they want. And if there was a better way to go about protesting fine...they can get better...they can mess up...that is what that time in life is for. But I don't feel anyone should EVER fault these kids for choosing to act instead of standing by and doing nothing.

Oochy took the article I posted and paraphrased it for people that couldn't understand it like yourself.. So I am really confused.

• Upvote 1

Oochy took the article I posted and paraphrased it for people that couldn't understand it like yourself.. So I am really confused.

Who said I couldn't understand the article? I never made one mention towards besides agreeing with the summary Oochy had. I didn't even read the article.

Secondly you posting the article means nothing when contrasted with the views and statements you shared both in the shoutbox and earlier in this thread. Yes you feel the term "safe space" is a PC thing and I would agree, but talking about a student shutting up cause the world is unfair and he is has money so he can't complain....is right on line with silencing the voice of people who don't agree with you and as Oochy summarized or the article pointed out college is a time to make your voice heard.

So yes I agree with Oochy while still thinking you are misguided and need to be banned :lol:

-Agree with Oochy

-Ferve should be banned

this really confused me, then I saw this:

I didn't even read the article.

Favre and I are arguing basically the same point here, which is that the students (and schools in response) are not taking the right approach in dealing with dissenting voices

Who said I couldn't understand the article? I never made one mention towards besides agreeing with the summary Oochy had. I didn't even read the article.

Secondly you posting the article means nothing when contrasted with the views and statements you shared both in the shoutbox and earlier in this thread. Yes you feel the term "safe space" is a PC thing and I would agree, but talking about a student shutting up cause the world is unfair and he is has money so he can't complain....is right on line with silencing the voice of people who don't agree with you and as Oochy summarized or the article pointed out college is a time to make your voice heard.

So yes I agree with Oochy while still thinking you are misguided and need to be banned :lol:

I never said silence them.

I never said ignore him because he has money.

Stop telling me you aren't having a problem understanding when you are proving the exact opposite.

I very clearly stated that I don' agree with his actions. And I don't agree with the actions of the University.

Me not agreeing with him at the core of it has very little to do with the fact that he is a rich kid. Him being rich sets the stage for him not being able to comprehend what real struggle is. Butler claims he was ready to die... Because of the word being used and because of a shit-written swastika. Make no doubt about it.. The problem isn't that he is rich -- the problem is him.

Some things you don't hear.. One of the incidents the kid who used the offensive word was apparently "removed from campus". I have no idea what that means or what have you.. But what more can be done besides killing him?

That action wasn't enough.. So Butler and his posse of clowns waited for and completely surrounded the President of the University... Demanding that he (the President) step down. Wolfe drove off and Butler was pissed that he didn't get what he wanted. I don't know anything about Tim Wolfe but if a massive group of people is going to come at me and surround me, demanding for my job.. I am getting the hell out of there too.

So begins the hunger strike...

Butler doesn't demand a change in culture ( although yes, that is what he wants, that wasn't going to stop him from dying), he didn't demand a change in policies, he didn't demand new policies to protect he and his friends (how do you protect people from words and images though? Ehhhh)... The only thing he wanted was Wolfe to step down. The only way he would not commit suicide was for the President of Missouri to leave his post.

I am sorry.. That doesn't sit well with me.

Again.. I don't know Tim Wolfe. Maybe he's a complete bigot and racist... maybe the worst person in existence. I don't know...

But I just don't like how Butler went about it. And it seems like if you are going to kill yourself, that you shouldn't have to be taken to that level because of words and symbols. I understand that nobody should have to deal with that level of hatred and how terribly it makes people feel. My area here in Iowa is predominantly white, but going through school there was a large (relative term, you should understand) of black students were really close, always hung out together, etc.. Well, I was more "nerdy" growing up, I wasn't a social person.. I always had a very small group of extremely close friends rather than just being friends / acquaintances .. That group of kids, more than any other, went out of there way to bully us for a good portion of 2ish years (school years). They picked on us because we were different.. they picked on us because of our skin color and aimed racially motivated barbs at us.

I never gave them the time of day. Ya, it sucked that someone else or a group of other people felt like they needed to put other people down.. But at the end of the day, I chose to not empower them. I chose to not allow them to dictate how I felt or how I acted. I never once thought about killing myself. Regardless of color, that's an unfortunate situation for anyone to be in and it's sad that 1. some people can't handle it and 2. that people are put in a situation where they have to deal with it to begin with.

But guess what.. That is the world at times. There are gross... disgusting... unsavory people on this planet. They live next door to you, they are your boss, they are everywhere. The nature of the planet and society itself has no role in protecting you from bad words and symbols. We will never fully eradicate hateful people. Never. And the "good" people killing themselves off is not a solution.

you know, it's shit like this that really pisses me off:

Princeton Agrees to Consider Removing a President’s Name - The New York Times

By LIAM STACK and GABRIEL FISHERNOV. 19, 2015

A group of about 20 graduate students gathered in the Columbia Law School lobby on Wednesday for what they called an emergency town hall meeting to discuss discrimination on campus.
Princeton students ended a 32-hour sit-in in the university president’s office on Thursday night after administrators signed a document that committed them to begin conversations about addressing racial tension on campus, including possibly removing the name of former President Woodrow Wilson from some public spaces, the university and students said.
The sit-in came amid racial tension and escalating student activism on college campuses nationwide and focused in part on what students called Wilson’s legacy of racism. Shortly after the document was signed, an administrator received a bomb or firearm threat by email. After an investigation, university officials said Friday, the threat was deemed not credible.
Wilson graduated from Princeton in 1879 and served as its president from 1902 to 1910 before becoming president of the United States from 1913 until 1921. Historians often remember him for liberal internationalism amid the horrors of World War I, but he also held a number of racist views.
Christopher L. Eisgruber, the university’s president, told students Wednesday that he agreed that Wilson had been a racist but that he had done some things that were honorable and others that were worthy of scorn.

To be fair, the agreement doesn't have anything to do with any action, just "starting a conversation" and maybe that conversation will end with these students being put in their place. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having buildings or other space (I can't tell from that article what's actually named after Wilson at Princeton) named after a prominent alum, especially one who served as President of the University. Hopefully through the discussion the students protesting will see the merit. If that's what happens then it'll be great work by Eisgruber and hopefully provide a model for these sorts of protests, but the whole idea is just ridiculous.

It reminds me of the protests last year at Washington & Lee University (named for George Washington and Robert E. Lee) that asked that the school drop 'Lee' from it's name. The protesters ignored the fact that Robert E. Lee served as President of what was then little known Washington College and completely transformed the campus, including integrating the Lexington Law School.

I think a big part of the problem with raising issue with stuff named after historical figures is that we often end up holding those historical figures to modern standards. So Wilson was a racist, most people in the late 1800s-early 1900s were racists, that doesn't undermine the good he did. So Lee fought for the South, he was a Virginian and at that time loyalty to the state almost always came above loyalty to the nation, and Lee was a major force in the reconciliation after the war.

Bottom line, I hope this particular issue doesn't go beyond discussions. Like I said, I think this has the potential to have a very good ending without actually changing anything, hopefully that's the route they take.

Yup. Just like I mentioned in the refugee thread... This country and the communities within in it are obsessed with trying to "make up" for terrible choices and mistakes of earlier eras / generations. It's so stupid. I just don't see the point to it at all (in this case, purely referencing building name changes).

lfL0UvH.gif

I believe that scene is in In Bruges, one of the most underrate movies of the past 15 years.

Look at me, I have issues with things too.

The University of Missouri media professor who drew scorn for siccing "some muscle" on a campus reporter was formally charged with misdemeanor assault Monday.
Melissa Click was charged with third-degree assault and faces up to 15 days in jail if convicted, Kristina Wolf, a spokeswoman for the city prosecutor's office in Columbia, Missouri, told NBC News.

Thought others might be interested in this follow-up

Edited by oochymp