Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Better Receiving Corps--GB or Minnesota, Who Wins the Game

Battle of Pass Catchers  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the better receiving corps?

• Green Bay (Randall Cobb, DaVante Adams, James Jones, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis, Jared Abbrederis
    • Minnesota (Stefon Diggs, Mike Wallace, Jarius Wright, Charles Johnson, Adam Thielen, Cordarrelle Patterson)
  2. 2. Who wins the ball game?

Cast your votes and explain your reasoning!

Green Bay and it's not really that close, Bware.

You can feel free to take the purple shades off.

People say Green Bay and then don't explain why. Makes no sense

Maybe you are asking the wrong questions...

" Why am I the only one who isn't saying Green Bay? "

• Upvote 1

I did pick the Packers but just barely, they could easily lose to the team allowing the fewest points per game right now, like 18.5 I think

People are picking the Packers because they think their receivers are better than they are. Without Aaron Rodgers, most of them are nothing (sans Cobb and maybe Adams).

You give Stefon Diggs, Mike Wallace, Charles Johnson, and Jarius Wright Aaron Rodgers and all are YAC machines. The Packers biggest issue at WR right now is sheer slowness. The Vikes don't have that problem. You give Minnesota's WRs to Aaron Rodgers and the Packers are 8-1 at worst, right now.

Minnesota seems to have this young breakout WR every year who then proceeds to do almost nothing immediately afterwards. I wouldn't bring it up if it didn't look like a trend line. Cordarelle Patterson, Charles Johnson, and now Stefon Diggs. Maybe Minnesota QB's really like rookies?

In any case the Packers have Randall Cobb who is proven, James Jones who does his best when ARod is slinging him passes, and a bunch of young guys, same as the Vikes. I think the edge is clear.

Minnesota seems to have this young breakout WR every year who then proceeds to do almost nothing immediately afterwards. I wouldn't bring it up if it didn't look like a trend line. Cordarelle Patterson, Charles Johnson, and now Stefon Diggs. Maybe Minnesota QB's really like rookies?

In any case the Packers have Randall Cobb who is proven, James Jones who does his best when ARod is slinging him passes, and a bunch of young guys, same as the Vikes. I think the edge is clear.

The difference between Diggs and Patterson is pretty obvious, though--Diggs can actually run routes and is a product of having earned his starting job as opposed to being a physical freak that the Vikings had to run specific plays for because he couldn't comprehend the playbook. As for Charles Johnson, he'd have more grabs if not for a nasty ribs injury that sidelined him for a few weeks.

We also need to factor in that Teddy Bridgewater has not been good this season, not consistently, anyway. He's shown poise when needed, and he's had a few nice games (against Denver's elite corners, for one), but he's inconsistent and inconsistent QB play will always hide somebody who should be producing.

Patterson was always a crapshoot when it comes to consistent production. There's no reason to believe that Diggs will disappear. Johnson should eventually take Wallace's starting spot, though, especially if Wallace continues to quit on routes. Mike Wallace's lack of production is a product of a bad attitude. His physical ability is probably greater than any receiver in this poll, but his own worst enemy has always been himself.

Edited by BwareDWare94

If you are going to use a bad Teddy Bridgewater as evidence, can I use the fact that the Packers offense is in their worst stretch of games in the last decade?

Packers by quite a bit, sorry, Bware.

No one is close to Randall Cobb on the Vikes, Davante Adams is as good as Mike Wallace at least, and James Jones, while not as fast as Diggs, is more of a threat in the redzone.

Also think Green Bay rebounds and wins this one.

Edited by Thanatos19

Pfft. Just watch and we'll find out

Pfft. Just watch and we'll find out

Yup you're right. We completely found out.

Minnesota is not as good as a 7-3 record would suggest and the Packers WRs > the Vikings WRs.

Edited by Thanatos19

Bware's ridiculous homerism... :chip:

Minny's WR corps isn't really anything to write home about in general, anyway. I don't even know who the fuck Charles Johnson and Adam Thielen are.

How does it feel being the true Viking fan on the forum but not the biggest Viking homer. :smug:

There should be an award on this site for that.

I'm not sold on who's better at the WR. Minnesota refused to blitz. Rodgers had to wait so long for anybody to break open. It was kind of pathetic.

Minnesota was so out of character in this game. A young head coach (as in how long he's been a HC, not his age) got them too riled up and they played out of character.

The Vikings are a year away, but Green Bay just isn't that dangerous. Today I sound like a salty fan of a team that just lost. In January when they lose right away, you'll remember me telling you it would happen. This team can't beat Arizona and Carolina and, if Minnesota learns from this mistake, they won't beat us either.

As a Panthers fan, Green Bay can totally beat us lol. They need Randall Cobb to break out of his slump, that is all.

You do sound just like a salty fan today.

It's okay, it happens to all of us. Favre said the Panthers "don't have much of a shot" in the playoffs after his Packers lost.

Edited by Thanatos19

I don't see the Packers as a legitimate threat to any good team that's willing to rush the passer. Minnesota completely blew that game yesterday from a coaching perspective. If your front 4 can't get pressure, you HAVE to send more than 4. It's that simple and yet Mike kept dropping 7 and rushing 4. They held Green Bay in check, somewhat, but several times they should have blitzed on third down to get them off the field but Rodgers was able to stand back there and wait.

Green Bay's WRs are a real problem. They do not get open fast and when they do get open, it's with practically zero separation.

What did I say Green Bay had to do to beat Minnesota in my breakdown? Get their running game going, which is exactly what they did. This game was won by Eddie Lacy's fat ass looking like a pro-bowler. Quick stat--he has yet to rush for less 100 yards against Minnesota in his career. I do not understand it. He can't suck for 10 weeks and then become a phenom overnight. Minnesota simply needs to make in-game adjustments when they play Green Bay. Every other week Mike Zimmer is excellent at adjustments. Yesterday he was an odd combination of stubborn and scared. You can't keep doing what isn't working. If you give Aaron Rodgers 7 seconds, even James Jones can still get open. Every catch that dude had came on a long-developing play.

As for WRs, you can't tell me that Diggs and Wright didn't look better than everybody but Cobb yesterday. James Jones' receptions were purely the result of no pass pressure. Cobb is a good player but he still doesn't scare me. Diggs is going to be a great receiver in this league, and Jarius Wright is one of the most underrated receivers in the league. Mike Wallace can fuck off. There are two plays that showed me that Minnesota would lose yesterday--when Mike Wallace all of a sudden turned on a second gear on that deep route when he realized it was coming to him, and when AP fumbled due to continued shitty ball security. A. Mike Wallace better be running full speed go routes or there's no point in having him out there and B. Adrian Peterson needs to wrap up the ball upon contact.

It also didn't help that the stripes refused to not let Green Bay score a TD at the end of the first half. That IC call on Barr was absurd (Rodgers ran directly into him--Barr does not have to get out of his way. Aside from that, that play happens on every single drop back in the NFL. It can't be a penalty on some plays and not on most. Consistency is needed, badly), and they tried to flag Munnerlyn on a clearly uncatchable ball. It was an accomplishment for Minnesota to hold them out of the endzone as long as they did.

Losses are salt inducing :yep:

I still don't think the Panthers have much of a shot though. Lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Losses are salt inducing :yep:

I still don't think the Panthers have much of a shot though. Lol

Are you mocking or agreeing with me? I mean, the team has some serious holes. Neither team in Minneapolis yesterday should be viewed as a Super Bowl contender right now. Anything can happen over the rest of the season. Carson Palmer or Cam Newton could get hurt. Patrick Peterson or Josh Norman could get hurt. OBJ could get hurt.

But if Carolina and Arizona stay healthy, I think it comes down to those two teams without question.

The NFL is unpredictable. The NFC North has two good teams who are building toward being better. We'll see :shrug:

Nah, I totally agree. Packers right now need to find an offense before they pose a threat. But I feel like before the end of the season that they will. I can't even fathom this ugly stretch of play to continue the rest of the way.. I just can't. We will probably still see much of the same from the Vikings though. They are what we see, the Packers aren't... We know the Packers are capable of A LOT more.