Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Game of Thrones Season 7

I really don't get the hate for Bran's arc. I've enjoyed that entire subplot pretty much since they first crossed the Wall. I think the actor is doing a fine job. I don't think many people can truly appreciate total emotional detachment; it's literally not something many people can wrap their heads around. Bran's portrayal of that seems pretty in line with what I'd imagine is the case.

Edited by OSUViking
  • Upvote 2

Euron is so badass. Need more Hound. I haven't rewatched any of season 6 but does it seem to anyone else that Bran has just completely changed? He's still terrible as always, but now he's terrible and acting to cool for school.

From what I can gather, whatever emotional ties Bran Stark used to have are effectively gone. His role is much bigger than the interpersonal interactions people expect. His reaction to Meera pretty much said it all, in my opinion. I don't think it's a "too cool for school" bit but more a "catering to people's emotional needs should be the least of anyone's - especially my - worries" type of deal. He's still incredibly young and now has the weight of the Three-Eyed Raven on his shoulders, and I think the actor is doing a good portrayal of this. My complaint is that it seems like an abrupt change from how the previous season ended. My thoughts are that he still saw it necessary to accommodate Meera as long as his survival depended on her. The callousness seems to have come out of nowhere, but IMO it's totally appropriate.

If you want to play at complete detachment then cool but gradually build to that. Nothing that has happened that I can remember hinted at it. Brans story has been the weakest of the show since season 1. The only one that can rival it is maybe Theon after he got away from Ramsay. He had all these visions then meets an old guy in a tree that can see everything then has that power transferred to him after seemingly a week or two. I guess you can call it destiny as you can pretty much call everyone else's story as well. Brans' has just been poorly set up and told I think. Absolutely nothing was interesting about until last season when they finally told you what the fuck was going on.

I think the problem is the show runners doesn't want to deal with all the magic stuff, but Bran's story relies on that shit. He's the god damned three eyed raven, that's supposed to mean something more than durr I talk to trees.

WOW! That episode was a heart stopper!

• Upvote 1

If you want to play at complete detachment then cool but gradually build to that. Nothing that has happened that I can remember hinted at it. Brans story has been the weakest of the show since season 1. The only one that can rival it is maybe Theon after he got away from Ramsay. He had all these visions then meets an old guy in a tree that can see everything then has that power transferred to him after seemingly a week or two. I guess you can call it destiny as you can pretty much call everyone else's story as well. Brans' has just been poorly set up and told I think. Absolutely nothing was interesting about until last season when they finally told you what the fuck was going on.

That moment came in the cave when the army of the dead came to hunt him down and murdered the (former) three-eyed raven.

Great episode. I think Sean greatly overestimated the intelligence of dragons because clearly when giant steel bolts / arrows are flying at you, you should fly directly at it to give the shooter the cleanest and clearest shot possible. Maybe.. shoot a fireball at it from distance.. maybe don't go full Rickon. Maybe do something.. anything at all.

The on-screen action between Jon / Dany is fantastic. I love them together. I also love the new Brianne / Arya duo, that's hot.

And while it was a great episode, I am sitting here waiting for Littlefinger to get totally fucked. I feel it's coming and I just can't wait. I hope it's glorious... Who am I kidding? It's going to be glorious, isn't it? Also, Brandon mind fucking Littlefinger with "Chaos is a ladder" was awesome.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

I'd say these deficiencies have far more to do with the writers of the show than Bran as a character. To each their own, though. I do completely agree that they did an awful job of introducing this cold side of the TER. They could have at least thrown in some dialogue about when he started to lose touch with his old life. That being said, I still think Bran as a character gets too much unnecessary hate.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

• Upvote 1

Welp it seems like the dragons get hurt by scorpions but it takes a perfect shot to be a kill shot.

That was the most fucking menacing battle scene of all time BTW. Felt like Jon's battle at Winterfell on speed.

• Upvote 1

So is it safe to say I was right about the Dragons and right about Cersei being done? How you gonna win a war if you don't have an army anymore?

So is it safe to say I was right about the Dragons and right about Cersei being done? How you gonna win a war if you don't have an army anymore?

Nope. And the Iron bank.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Dare I say that GoT reached a new level last night? *wink*

That battle was so masterfully shot. Both thrilling and suspenseful. Dany wiping out the shield wall. The entire sequence of Bron getting to and using the catapult was just amazingly fun and epic to watch.

I think it added more truth to what sparty was saying on the last page... the pure cinematic value of GoT is insane. Every week is practically an entire movie.

Those of you who still have shows over this obviously just don't get it ... :):smug:

Cave scene between Jon and Dany, sexual tension was off the charts :megusta:

Jon just wants that dragon ass. Nobody tell him that's his aunt.

I was fully expecting Bron to shoot that bolt right down Dracarris' throat and kill him. Just seems very GoTish to have a dragon die not in the major battle.

But, this does serve a huge purpose- it shows Dany her dragons are not invincible and maybe just taking all three of them to burn the Red Keep isn't such a wise move after all.

I am seriously getting vibes of Tyrion being unable to actually sit there and let Dany murder his family. Cersei, sure. Jaime? No way in hell.

• Upvote 1

I was fully expecting Bron to shoot that bolt right down Dracarris' throat and kill him. Just seems very GoTish to have a dragon die not in the major battle.

But, this does serve a huge purpose- it shows Dany her dragons are not invincible and maybe just taking all three of them to burn the Red Keep isn't such a wise move after all.

I am seriously getting vibes of Tyrion being unable to actually sit there and let Dany murder his family. Cersei, sure. Jaime? No way in hell.

In the moment, I was expecting it too. They played it up like that was going to happen, in my mind. Although, I know I predicted a dragon death, but I did NOT think it would be Drogon. It seems poetic if the dragons named for Dany's dead brothers also end up dead.

Anywho, Drogon is the biggest and strongest of Dany's dragons and even one scorpion bolt did some damage. It hit in a relatively unimportant location (what seemed to be the "shoulder"). So I am assuming he'll be fine. But imagine King's Landing with like 20 of those scorpions on the walls and in the towers. It'd be pretty intense.

Also, I am wondering how we will get the Jon Targaryen reveal... For the longest time, everybody has predicted that Bran would tell him (and I am sure he will confirm it), but I think there will be other clues as well. A lot of people have also predicted that Jon ends up riding one of the dragons (one of Dany's dragons IS named after Jon's father, after all).

I think that would be an epic moment. To see Jon almost instantly bond with Rhaegal... Even THINKING about it playing out is giving me goosebumps as I type this. Ohhhh, so good. lol

I should write for this show or something :smug:

Edited by Olenna4Ever

Did anyone else find the Arya/Sansa reunion a little underwhelming?

Did anyone else find the Arya/Sansa reunion a little underwhelming?

Definitely. I am not sure what that is though or if it's intentional. Perhaps the actors just don't have a lot of chemistry together/ A better explanation though, and I am hoping this is what it is... But, Arya and Sansa have never really gotten along that well. Arya is much more like her brothers than Sansa. Sansa has also kind of been in that mold of "future ruler" or if not ruler, at least someone with a mind more set out for it.

I mean, right when they see each other..

Arya, " So do I need to call you Lady Stark now?"

Sansa " Yes "

Arya " Lady Stark fits you "

Goes back to the last episode where, as Than was saying about the Arya scenes... She's obviously not really of that life anymore. She's gone home, but is it where she belongs.. Is it really who she is anymore? It's them finding their identities, their true selves and what drives them. Their purpose, so to speak. So we've gotten that with Arya, we've gotten it with Sansa and IMO Bran.. As I see it, it's just a full circle type of thing with the remaining Stark children.

It seemed pretty cold but you could tell that they were still happy on some level to see one another, if not for anything more than to see that they were alive.

Or... maybe they just have bad on-screen chemistry. lol. It definitely was nowhere near as good as Dany / Jon who have never been in a scene together before this season who knocked it out of the park.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

Yeah as far as the Dragon's being invincible I think this episode on increased that notion. Bron isn't exactly like some random Gold Cloak or Lannister solider. He's as skilled as it gets as a fighter and soldier and could barely hit it. Did you see how smokey and fiery it was? He could barely see Drogon until he was on top of him. How many of these people will even be willing to fight Dragons when the find out one of them and the Dothraki destroyed the whole Lannister army. If I was them I'd open up the fucking gates before I stood behind a scorpion firing bolts at them. It's basically almost guaranteed that you're going to die. I mean, Danny is probably going to have Lannister men on the front lines marching up to Kings Landing or at least she would if she was smart. I know I would.

And let's not joke ourselves.. I think Dany riding Drogon into battle was more of a symbol than anything. I don't think Drogon even NEEDED to be there. The Dothraki alone would have eaten the Lannister army alive, IMO.

"Only a fool would meet the Dothraki in an open field"

Cersei and the Lannisters are terrible and all but Dany is going full mad king. I get the I have a legit claim to this whole throne thing but settle down with that fire shit. Lannister lives matter. Burning slave traders is one thing comin over here and burning people that just live there cuz you want to be Queen is another. Dragons and her deserve to die after that shit. I was hoping Jamie was gonna stick that spear right through his fuckin eye.

Cersei and the Lannisters are terrible and all but Dany is going full mad king. I get the I have a legit claim to this whole throne thing but settle down with that fire shit. Lannister lives matter. Burning slave traders is one thing comin over here and burning people that just live there cuz you want to be Queen is another. Dragons and her deserve to die after that shit. I was hoping Jamie was gonna stick that spear right through his fuckin eye.

She didn't do that though. She thought about it on the beach after the new of Casterly Rock broke from Tyrion. Then she asked Jon what he would do, and he pretty much backed up Tyrion. So she took Drogon and the Dothraki and ambushed the Lannister army / part of a caravan in a random open field somewhere.

These are soldiers who just slaughtered people/soldiers in Highgarden, including the Tarley's who betrayed their Queen. It's not like the people who died were innocent farmers or something.

Maybe not innocent of wrongdoing themselves but these guys are just looking out for their own or their families best interests. If I do what the Lannisters tell me to do, maybe I'll get fed and my children won't die of starvation. If that means I have to kill a few people they don't like fine. They're just doing as any good soldier does. Don't get me wrong, it's terrible, they're all terrible. But do a couple soldiers just doing what they're supposed to do deserve to burn to death. Nah.

My heart goes out to these poor guys just trying to make a living in this awful universe.