Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Wild Speculation Thread

Buffalo plz, EJ Manuel was only three years ago, your collective memories cannot be this short. I'm sincerely hoping this is just smokescreen after smokescreen.

• Upvote 1

ESPN's Rich Cimini said it is "highly unlikely" the Jets trade up to the No. 1 overall pick.

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reported Friday the Jets have "inquired" about the No. 1 pick. While it is likely true the Jets have expressed interest, it would probably take franchise-tagged DE Muhammad Wilkerson plus a few picks to convince the Titans to move all the way down to No. 20 overall. If the Jets did pull off the blockbuster, Ole Miss LT Laremy Tunsil would likely be the target following the retirement of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but Cal QB Jared Goff or North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz would be options as well. Pauline reports the Eagles, 49ers and Cowboys have also inquired about the No. 1 pick.

Source: ESPN

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports the Cowboys have "come off" Ohio State DE Joey Bosa.

Once thought to be a candidate for the No. 1 overall pick, Bosa's stock has been falling throughout the pre-draft process. The best 4-3 end in the draft, Bosa would fill a huge need for the Cowboys, but Pauline reports assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett "is down" on him. If Bosa slips past the Cowboys, the Jaguars would take a long look at No. 5.

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports the Cowboys are "very high" on Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott.

Pauline's reporting makes it sound as if Elliott, Florida State DB Jalen Ramsey and North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz top the Cowboys' draft board, with Ramsey as the top-ranked player. If true, it means Dallas taking Elliott with the No. 4 overall pick remains a possibility. Elliott will likely come off the board in the top 10.

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz is among the "top three" players on the Cowboys' draft board.

Florida State DB Jalen Ramsey is reportedly atop the rankings, but Wentz is the top-rated quarterback. Owner Jerry Jones has dismissed the idea of taking a quarterback at No. 4 overall, but this report would suggest it is in the realm of possibilities. Pauline reports the Cowboys are "very high" on Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott as well.

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports Florida State DB Jalen Ramsey is the top player on the Cowboys' draft board.

Pauline reported the same thing in February, and he says nothing has changed. An elite athlete with the ability to play both safety and corner, it is not a guarantee Ramsey is still on the board when the Cowboys pick at No. 4, with the Titans at No. 1 and the Chargers at No. 3 as legitimate landing spots. Pauline also reports North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz is the top quarterback on Dallas' board, and they "continue to be very high" on Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott.

Fuck offense. Pussies have it so easy these days. Touch a WR past the LOS and it's either a hold or a DPI. Hit a QB a split second after he releases the ball? Oh 15 yard penalty.

Offenses know exactly what play they are running, too easy to do that. Most defenses have to adjust to what the offense is doing and that takes skill to have 11 players on the same page to stop the opposing team.

We should just play defense v defense. Would make the game so much more physical. Bring it back to its roots.

If the Cowboys take Zeke at #4 I'm gonna start burning texas flags. He's not even close to Gurley's level coming out.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Peter King's MMQB column (which you should all read on a weekly basis) has some tremendous draft nuggets this week. I quoted just a few. Note you've got to scroll down to get to the draft stuff; King opens the column to address the Will Smith death.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/10/will-smith-murder-new-orleans-saints-nfl

Over the weekend, I spoke with 10 team officials with power over their teams’ draft board and draft process. Three of them are in the middle of organizing their draft; they finished one side of the ball Friday and will finalize their boards on the other side of the ball beginning today. So it’s a myth that the hay’s in the barn for every team right now.

Three questions first:

Who do you think will be the first player picked in the draft?

Eight of the 10 evaluators said Mississippi tackle Laremy Tunsil. One split his vote between Tunsil and Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey. The other said Tennessee will trade, and a team will move up to pick North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz.

Who will be the first quarterback picked?

Seven votes for Wentz. Three votes for Cal quarterback Jared Goff.

What team is most likely to trade into the top five of the first round?

Rams: four votes. Eagles: three votes. Bucs: one vote. Niners: one vote. One vote went to no team. “Price is too high,” this person said. “I don’t see anyone trading into the top five.”

Regarding the Browns at 2. Last week I heard Wentz strongly at this pick. This weekend one of my panelists said: “It’s definitely Goff. Believe it.” Next week, could it be Brian Sipe? But I will say this about the pick: Goff’s the name I hear coming out of that building right now. We’ll see.

The strength of the draft. Middle-class draft. Read these quotes from four of my evaluators:

“Twenty-five to 55 is the same player, to me.”
“Eleven to 40 is the same guy.”
“To us, 18 to 48 you can get the same player.”
“Load me up with twos and threes in this draft. That’s where I’d want a lot of picks.”

And get this, from Gil Brandt: “It’s the kind of draft where the 50th player on some team’s board will be the 17th player on another team, and the 17th player on the first team could be the 50th on that other team.”

On the quarterbacks. Even this far out, the lines are drawn here: Goff and Wentz in the top five, Paxton Lynch in the teens, Connor Cook around 30 and then it’s anyone’s guess. One evaluator: “I would love to take a shot at developing Christian Hackenberg.” Another: “Hackenberg’s fractured.”

Peter King's articles are fine when you ignore all the fluff about starbucks and shit, and actually really good whenever he gets a guest writer.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Eagles "are in love" with Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott.

La Canfora "continue to hear" that if both Cal QB Jared Goff and North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz are off the board when the Eagles pick at No. 8, then Elliott "is the pick." The belief around the league is de facto GM Howie Roseman is "dead set on making a huge splash" in the draft. Elliott would qualify and immediately slide in as the Eagles' three-down workhorse after coach Doug Pederson previously coached workhorses LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles. Elliott may not even make it to No. 8, as the Cowboys at No. 4 are said to be "very high" on him.
Source: CBS Sports

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Cal QB Jared Goff "has many champions within the Browns' organization," and he'll likely be the pick if Cleveland selects a quarterback at No. 2 overall.

Prior to this week, the thinking around the league was that the Browns preferred the upside of North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz over Goff. But according to La Canfora, if new OC Pep Hamilton "gets his way," Goff would be the pick. And Hamilton isn't the only coach inside the building pulling for Goff. The tricky thing, however, is the Browns' scouts "prefer Wentz." There have been rumors coming out of Berea that the football people (coaches) and front-office types (scouts) under the new regime have been in disagreement. With another two-plus weeks before draft night, this story is bound to change. The only thing that seems certain is Cleveland will be taking a quarterback with one of its two top-32 picks.
Source: CBS Sports

I think Oakman still gets drafted, unless he is found guilty or something before the draft.

-------

Also still don't get the Elliot hype

#1 back this year? Yes

top 15 back this year? :shrug:

Edited by butta54

Elliot is nothing special... don't understand the hype.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see the ripple effect of this dumb trade the Rams made.

Hopefully it means Hargreaves falls to us :yes:

Per Rotoworld.com:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Browns' desire to trade out of the No. 2 overall pick has "intensified" since the Rams moved into the No. 1 overall position.
La Canfora is one of the NFL insiders who believes Cleveland prefers Cal's Jared Goff over North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, and that the Rams will draft Goff. "Goff is and was the Browns' guy," La Canfora tweeted. If the Browns are desperate enough to move down, it's possible the No. 2 pick could go for a slight discount. That could benefit the Eagles, who are known to covet Wentz. Apr 15 - 7:57 PM

Good. Let's see the Eagles destroy themselves a little more. LIVE THROUGH CHIP VICARIOUSLY COMRADES!

I really love the depth at DE this year. Though they aren't necessarily going to be superstars watch for Shaq Lawson, Carl Nassib, and Shilique Calhoun. Those guys can do a shitload of damage from the 4-3 from day one.

Talked about it a bit in shoutbox but wouldn't be surprised if Bosa is the Jags pick, especially given Myles Jack's new knee revelations. Checks all Dave's boxes :lol: Big school, Big Draft loves him, premium position, position of need. I wouldn't be mad :shrug:

Eagles VP of football operations Howie Roseman called Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott a "complete back."

Elliott said last week the Eagles have shown the most interest in him throughout the pre-draft process, and it is clear Roseman thinks highly of the Ohio State product. Unless Philadelphia jumps up to No. 2 to snag North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz, Elliott is likely to be their pick at No. 8. The Eagles could put Ryan Mathews on the trade block if they nab Elliott in the draft.

ESPN's Jamison Hensley believes it is possible Ole Miss LT Laremy Tunsil falls to the Ravens at No. 6 overall.

Once thought to be a lock for the No. 1 pick, Tunsil may be looking at a mini slide. The Rams and whichever team picks at No. 2 are expected to take quarterbacks, the San Diego Union-Tribune called Tunsil a "messy fit" for the Chargers at No. 3, and the Cowboys (No. 4) and Jaguars (No. 5) are not in the market for a left tackle. The Ravens want to move on from current LT Eugene Monroe, and replacing him with perhaps the best player in the draft would be a dream scenario.
Source: ESPN

MMQB's Peter King believes the Browns "have thought seriously" about "bypassing a quarterback" with the No. 2 overall pick.

The Browns are reportedly "high" on Robert Griffin III, and their college quarterback of choice, Cal's Jared Goff, is likely to be taken by the Rams at No. 1. If that situation unfolds, the Browns could decide to wait until Day 2 to make a move at quarterback, but selecting a position player with the second-overall pick does not make much sense. If North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz does slip to No. 2, there will be plenty of teams interested in trading up. It would be surprising if the Browns did not either take a quarterback or trade down.
Source: MMQB

Edited by Vin

For the life of me I can't understand why the Eagles would want to waste a high pick on a RB when they have real issues on the roster.

The Philadelphia Daily News' Les Bowen was told by an NFL source UCLA LB Myles Jack's knee is "a time bomb."

Jack's medical recheck did not go well, with CBS Sports' Dane Brugler reporting several teams had "long-term question marks." This is lying season, however, and it is possible teams are leaking bad information about Jack's knee in order to push him down the draft board. A top-five talent, it is anyone's guess where Jack ends up, but it would still be a shock if he slipped out of the top 15.

Source: Les Bowen on Twitte

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast that he believes the Browns were never going to take a quarterback near the top of the first round, even before the Rams-Titans trade.

The Browns are known to prefer Jared Goff over Carson Wentz, but that doesn't mean they would take Goff at No. 2 even were he available. Schefter suggested that Cleveland benefited from the Tennessee-Los Angeles trade, and is now open for business at the No. 2 pick. Schefter also explained what he believes to be the Browns' plan, "building up" supporting-cast pieces before investing in a potential franchise quarterback. Schefter named the Eagles, 49ers, and Jets as three teams that might be potential trade partners with Cleveland at No. 2.

confused011.gif

qFvhg7H.jpg

Kessler train leaving station boys

423Y31D.png Edited by Chernobyl426

Makes sense, not sure why everyone thinks the Browns HAVE to take a QB this draft. If you are most likely going to give RG3 all the opportunity and resources to succeed than you don't need to take a top 5 pick and draft a QB to stand over his shoulder.

Every single year players will be propped up as "potential franchise QBs" so next year and the year after that and after that the Browns will have the chance to go in another direction. The Browns don't have a win now roster either way, and the top guys this year are far from "can't miss" so there is no reason the Browns HAVE to do anything at #2 besides get a great player.

Edited by butta54

Any team that's looking at Kessler is looking at Kessler to be a backup, he's ass. I can 100% say with my nonexistent draft credentials that he's going to be a day 3 guy.

• Upvote 1

Cody Kessler is basically what happens when you stick chad Pennington's brain into a five year old's body

Cherry's not gonna like this kinda talk :nonono:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11257/carson-wentz

According to Alex Marvez of Fox Sports, the Eagles and Browns have set the framework for a potential trade involving the No. 2 pick.

Per Marvez, the Eagles would give up first and third round picks in 2016 and 2017. The Eagles are reportedly enamored with North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz and they'll probably have to trade up to No. 2 to get him. Then again, the Eagles have also shown keen interest in Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott, who they might be able to grab at No. 8. If the two sides can't reach an agreement, the Eagles could try trading up to No. 3. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Chargers are shopping their pick.

• Upvote 1