Bay

What's harder to do?

8 members have voted

1. 1. Tougher to accomplish in a regular season

• 30 goals
    • 30 HRs

Score 30 goals in the NHL or hit 30 home runs in the show?

Last season in baseball there were 20 guys who had 30 or more dingers. Last season 15 players scored 30 or more Gs. This season 18 guys have 30+ with a few who could reach that in next few days as the regular season wraps up.

Just thought it's interesting as both sports scoring is down. Maybe it's not a good debate, i don't know. Think it's worth talking about and since MLB just started.

This is close, but I'm gonna go with 30 goals. Hitting a home run is obviously hard, but you get at least 3 at-bats every game where you have an opportunity to knock one out. In hockey, it's more of a team effort to create scoring chances, etc. Plus, specifically with regard to reaching the 30 mark, it's harder to stay healthy throughout a full hockey season, IMO.

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, let alone homeruns.

Hitting a baseball is the 2nd hardest thing to do in sports, let alone homeruns.

tiger-woods-laugh-1500.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Golf? :mjlaugh:

Clearly you've never attempted to play golf. Otherwise you wouldn't be laughing.

• Upvote 1

I'm saying 30 goals, largely based on this:

In hockey, it's more of a team effort to create scoring chances, etc.

you have to be on the right team and in the right position to get 30 goals, then you factor in that a lot of teams have a high end goal scorer that everyone else feeds, that guy'll get 30 goals, but it's harder for anyone else to, this may be an anomaly but while Ovechkin consistently gets well over 30 goals a year, the last time a different Capital broke that mark was 2009/10, when Semin and Backstrom both hit that mark in a season that saw insanely high scoring marks, looking at last year's stats (since this year isn't quite over) only two teams had multiple 30 goal scorers (there are three teams in that category so far this year) MLB had five teams with multiple 30 HR hitters because players don't limit teammates' opportunities in the same way

• Upvote 1

tiger-woods-laugh-1500.jpg

Hitting a golf ball is a lot easier than hitting a baseball, at least in my experience.

Hitting a golf ball is a lot easier than hitting a baseball, at least in my experience.

Sure, but can you put it into the tiny hole? Can you putt accurately on the crazy lopsided green? Can you stay consistent for 18 holes? If it's easy for you, you should quit your day job and become a professional golfer. :yep:

Home runs. If you play with really skilled teammates goal scoring is a little easier

Edited by BradyFan81

Sure, but can you put it into the tiny hole? Can you putt accurately on the crazy lopsided green? Can you stay consistent for 18 holes? If it's easy for you, you should quit your day job and become a professional golfer. :yep:

Now you're just talking about playing golf in general, not just hitting a golf ball.

Yeah, I'd say playing golf is a lot more difficult than playing baseball, but if we're talking about making contact, it's a lot harder to hit a 98 mph fastball than hitting a ball off a tee.

• Upvote 1

but if we're talking about making contact, it's a lot harder to hit a 98 mph fastball than hitting a ball off a tee.

Won't argue with you there. It's just golf is more complex of a sport than just hitting the ball off of the tee.

By the way, I'm not discounting baseball by any means. That's why I called it the second hardest. Trying to hit a pitch off of a professional pitcher is freakin' ridiculous.

Futbol Goals?

Goes without saying. I don't even know what a good total is in the best league so I can't really speak on it. Even with a huge net it's so hard to score with that giant playing surface huh.

Messi has the record at 50 for goals in a season...pretty tough sledding.

You think putting is harder than hitting a baseball? You think driving one is harder?

Clearly you've never attempted to play golf. Otherwise you wouldn't be laughing.

Golf is a hard sport that requires great skill and it is often overlooked but I'd argue there is no one sequence within golf, driving or putting, (irons are very easy IMO) that is harder than hitting a baseball thrown by a MLB pitcher.

There isn't really anything in golf that you can compare to the parameters set in this thread i/e homeruns/goals.

Regarding soccer, Spain is a shitty league where Barca and the Madrid teams shit on everyone with much lesser talent. The Premier League is the standard and I'd say a 20 goal season would be comparable but easier than both hockey goals and homeruns.

Edited by BJORN
  • Upvote 1

Agree to disagree I guess.

And I didn't say just one aspect of golf is harder than hitting a pitch. (Reading comprehension helps dude) I said the whole game of golf is harder than that. (Ex: Playing 18 holes at Augusta)

The average PGA Tour golfer more than likely wouldn't even qualify to play in The Masters, let alone post a halfway decent score. The best players in the world often don't make the cut. With that said, the average MLB player has a much better chance to hit a homerun off of the best MLB pitcher IMO.

I'm going to drop the convo here though, because it has completely derailed the main topic of the OP, and it's going nowhere fast. :p

• Downvote 1

How bout a hole in one tho :smug:

I've got a hole in one sock right now though...