Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Toddler Taken by Alligator at Disney in Florida

Yeah but the kid wasn't swimming. He was in a foot of water. There were plenty of No Swimming signs in Hawaii that I ignored and went tidepooling or shit and people were fine with it. The No Swimming signs were because of ridiculous undertoe in that area, in this case. It meant no swimming, not "don't barely walk in the water at all."

You don't expect to die by going into a foot of water next to a No Swimming sign, and I hardly think its fair to blast the parents for this. The bear habitat analogy doesn't work, because this sign didn't say, Warning: Alligators live in this lake, or something to that effect, and in fact that's not even the reason the No Swimming sign was up. The water was too dirty for people to swim in it.

All of the other points I made regarding the "No swimming" signs stand. In many cases, wading on the shore in a "No swimming" area is just as dangerous as swimming in it.

... I feel like the conceal carry law only works in Florida because sometimes you just really need to shoot a croc in between the eyes...

• Upvote 1

Furhermore, Florida being riddled with alligators is common knowledge.

Basically this, being a tourist is no excuse.

• Upvote 2

There are a lot of reasons to heed a "No swimming" sign besides liability, lmao. As I said, being from Nebraska (the point you brought up), you know inherently not to fuck around with those signs. A lot of lakes have giant, immediate dropoffs where wading into a foot of water near the shore turns into being submerged in 8 ft. Plenty of water has hazards and shit to cut you up or get you caught. Some areas have currents that change in a certain spot and will sweep you under. There aren't gators here, but there are wildlife areas not to be disturbed. "No swimming" means a hell of a lot more than, "hey, can you not drown here?"

Furhermore, Florida being riddled with alligators is common knowledge. There are a lot of wooded areas in Nebraska, if they had wandered past some bear habitat sign would they also be absovled of guilt because they're not from bear country?

First off, I didn't intend to demean Nebraska or the people from there, I pointed out Nebraska because it's where they're actually from but if they'd been from somewhere else that's what I would have pointed out. You could just as easily substitute "they were from Nebraska" with "they were not from Florida." I don't contest the fact that most people know there are alligators in Florida, but I'm gonna forgive a parent for thinking (however wrong they were) that a resort would either have control of the dangerous animal population or would have specific warnings where appropriate. I also think it's easy to underestimate alligators (particularly in the speed department) when you're not used to being around them, so it could be that he thought he'd be able to warn the child and get him out before an alligator attacked. Definitely wrong, but again I'm willing to chalk it up to unfamiliarity.

Your comparison to a bear habitat sign is completely off point too, my point is that there wasn't an alligator warning sign, if that had been the case I would absolutely agree with you. Hell, if there was an alligator on the sign I'd agree with you, but there's nothing to indicate that there are alligators.

I'm also familiar with the idea that there are other threats in the water, I lived in Williamsburg for a long time and there were a lot of coastal areas that said no swimming due to the tides, but they always pointed out that danger, that wasn't the case here and I don't think it's an unfair expectation.

I'm with Favre and Bware. The parents were careless but losing a child is more than enough of a punishment for that. The Internet doesn't need to pile on.

So, in re-reading some of my posts it looks like I'm digging my heels in on the point of the parents did nothing wrong, which is definitely not how I see this. In my mind the parents were stupid, but they were understandably and forgiveably stupid.

I wouldn't even call them stupid really. Maybe they just lacked awareness in that situation or they had a momentary lapse in judgment. It happens to the best of us.

First off, I didn't intend to demean Nebraska or the people from there, I pointed out Nebraska because it's where they're actually from but if they'd been from somewhere else that's what I would have pointed out. You could just as easily substitute "they were from Nebraska" with "they were not from Florida." I don't contest the fact that most people know there are alligators in Florida, but I'm gonna forgive a parent for thinking (however wrong they were) that a resort would either have control of the dangerous animal population or would have specific warnings where appropriate. I also think it's easy to underestimate alligators (particularly in the speed department) when you're not used to being around them, so it could be that he thought he'd be able to warn the child and get him out before an alligator attacked. Definitely wrong, but again I'm willing to chalk it up to unfamiliarity.

Your comparison to a bear habitat sign is completely off point too, my point is that there wasn't an alligator warning sign, if that had been the case I would absolutely agree with you. Hell, if there was an alligator on the sign I'd agree with you, but there's nothing to indicate that there are alligators.

I'm also familiar with the idea that there are other threats in the water, I lived in Williamsburg for a long time and there were a lot of coastal areas that said no swimming due to the tides, but they always pointed out that danger, that wasn't the case here and I don't think it's an unfair expectation.

I didn't think you were, I was merely trying to illustrate that, whether they're unfamiliar with Florida or not, they're familiar with Nebraska, where "No swimming" is an umbrella sign that means, "you might die."

I honestly meant to change the "bear habitat sign" (trespassing?) before submitting, but forgot and let it go because it wasn't my main point.

I wouldn't even call them stupid really. Maybe they just lacked awareness in that situation or they had a momentary lapse in judgment. It happens to the best of us.

It can't when you have a child in your care. The entire world is a buzzsaw waiting for them to wander into it.

And when the entire world is a buzzsaw it's understandable when a parent fucks up given they have to watch their kid non-stop every day. We only hear about the mistakes that cost lives, not the ones that happen every day to ordinary parents.

Is Florida cursed during summers or something?

It's a monstrously humid shithole. Sorry, SteVo and other Floridians.

Honest question, here--how many of you would actually vacation in Florida during any time but the winter months? Fucking eh, I would have to go in December to February range or I'd be absolutely miserable any time I was outside.

The only reason I think Nebraskans might do it is because Nebraska is also miserable during the summer. Been there once (visiting family in Papillion, which is part of Omaha). They think nothing of it because they've left the stovetop to go to the monstrously humid shithole.

• Downvote 1

I have some family down there and I wouldn't mind checking it out... But I would never want to stay or live in Florida for an extended period of time -- and that isn't just weather related. lol

The only reason I think Nebraskans might do it is because Nebraska is also miserable during the summer. Been there once (visiting family in Papillion, which is part of Omaha). They think nothing of it because they've left the stovetop to go to the monstrously humid shithole.

Nebraska summers are hell. Insanely humid and hot. The other night I was driving home from work at 1:00 AM the other night and it was 96 out still. wtf.