Vin

Steelers @ Redskins

STATS LLC Associated Press

Sep 07, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made the postseason 16 times in 24 seasons, played in four Super Bowls and won two of them since 1992. That was also the last time the Washington Redskins made the playoffs in consecutive years.

When the two teams meet at FedEx Field on Monday night, it will be a matchup of one of the NFL's most reliable franchises versus one trying to shed a circus image that has slowly begun to change under second-year general manager Scot McCloughan.

For the Redskins, this season is about proving that they are finally building a sustainable winner. For the Steelers, 2016 is about regaining their perch atop the NFL following last year's tight AFC divisional playoff loss to Denver, the eventual Super Bowl champion.

"More Super Bowl titles," Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said when asked his goals at age 34. "Having two is great, but I think every year every team should be striving to win it. I want to win as many as I can."

The Steelers and Redskins don't meet often. They haven't played at FedEx Field since 2008. But that night was an embarrassment for Washington - a 23-6 loss on "Monday Night Football" where Pittsburgh fans appeared to outnumber the home supporters.

In all, the Steelers have won five in a row in this series. But the Redskins are out to prove that last year's 9-7 season and playoff berth weren't flukes - even if some veteran players acknowledge they were products of a bad division in 2015.

"We have a great opportunity to go be effective and play well and that's exciting and something for our fans to be excited about," Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins said. "But, we've got to go out and prove it. We've got to go out and play well and right now, it's just talk and it doesn't mean a whole lot."

Monday's game presents many intriguing matchups, however. None is bigger than Redskins cornerback Josh Norman, the league's highest-paid player at his position, and Pittsburgh wide receiver Antonio Brown, who tied for the NFL in receptions last season with 136.

"When you look at a wide receiver in the NFL, you don't have to stop nowhere other than Antonio Brown," Norman said. "It starts and it ends with him. That's going to be a tall task to take on."

Pittsburgh is without star running back La'Veon Bell (three-game suspension) and wide receiver Martavis Bryant (one-year suspension). Those are concerns. As is a relatively young secondary that will have to slow a Redskins passing offense featuring DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, tight end Jordan Reed and Jamison Crowder. That doesn't even include first-round pick Josh Doctson (left Achilles tendon), who returned to practice this week.

"I think the first game is less about the people that you play and more about doing you," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "Us being detail-oriented from an assignment standpoint, playing hard and communicating well."

Washington made it through the regular season relatively unscathed., It lost outside linebacker Junior Galette (torn right Achilles tendon) before camp even began. But Doctson is back practicing and running back Matt Jones (separated left shoulder) is expected to play after practicing with full contact on Wednesday. Otherwise, the Redskins are healthy save for defensive end Kendall Reyes (groin).

But Washington didn't beat a single playoff team last season en route to nine wins.

No other NFC East team made it and two divisions rival (New York Giants, Philadelphia) fired their coaches. The Redskins were outclassed by Super Bowl contenders Carolina and New England in the second half of the season and decisively beaten by Green Bay in the NFC wild-card round at home.

The Steelers provide an opportunity to beat one of those reliable contenders early in the season. For Washington coach Gruden, it is a measuring stick.

"(Pittsburgh does) a great job in-house scouting and developing their guys and bringing guys into that building," Gruden said. "They've been good for a long time for a reason. They have a great scouting staff, a great coaching staff, and they're very dangerous all across the board - receiver, if a running back goes down, they've got another one coming up. They just keep refueling."

:Steelers: 24

:Redskins: 21

On paper this should be a complete blowout. The Redskins are incredibly overrated and the Steelers have arguably the best receiver in the league. Tomlin traditionally coaches like shit against bad teams and allows them opportunities they shouldn't get. This could be an upset pick to make in favor of the Redskins.

I think the Steelers roll this one, Josh Norman gets exposed as a scrub by the best receiver in football and goes into full mental midget mode.

:Steelers: 41

:Redskins: 10

Norman is going to slow down AB as much as one can slow down the best WR in the league.

Tomlin always coaches down to the opposition and this will be yet another example.

:Redskins: 27

:Steelers: 24

:Redskins: 28

:Steelers: 27

As Thanatos mentioned. Josh Norman is a top corner in this league, him an AB is going to be fun. The Steelers without Bell and Bryant makes things a little bit diff. Also, no Heath Miller is another thing as well. I don't believe anyone on Pitt steps up, and this game reeks of a trap game for the Steelers who are known to have close games with people they should clearly beat.

The Redskins offense is going to be fun as well, Kirk Cousins, healthy Jordan Reeed, D-Jax, Garcon all with some more experience under their belts. I think the Redskins really give the Steelers fits and ultimately win.

AB will be contained for a good part of this game, but I think he frustrates Norman and will beat him eventually. He's impossible to cover an entire game. Norman may even spazz a bit and get called for some personal fouls which could mean an ejection with these new rules. The Steelers barely missed Bell last year to be honest with DWill filling in. It'll still be a close physical game.

:Steelers: 25

:Redskins: 23

• Upvote 1

Give me the way better and established QB. Redskins make it interesting though. Cousins costly INT late.

Steelers declared WR Markus Wheaton, QB Zach Mettenberger, CB Senquez Golson, FB Roosevelt Nix, LB Steven Johnson, G/C Cody Wallace and DE L.T. Walton inactive for Week 1 vs. the Steelers.

With Wheaton sidelined, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Sammie Coates figure to rotate in three-receiver sets. Wheaton is week to week, and will have a decent shot at returning in Week 2.

Matt Jones (shoulder) is active for Week 1 vs. the Steelers.

As is Josh Doctson (Achilles'). Jones finds himself in a bit of a committee with Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson, but is the unquestioned chairman on early downs. He's on the RB2 borderline, and could get himself higher for Week 2 with a strong performance.
Inactive for the Redskins are WR Rashad Ross, QB Nate Sudfeld, DL Anthony Lanier, S Duke Ihenacho, CB Kendall Fuller, C Austin Reiter and OL Arie Kouandjio.

It's interesting that they don't even have Norman moving with Brown around the field. I'd have to see the tape but it looks Breeland is on him far more often.

• Upvote 1

Interesting.

This offense makes me wanna jizz in my pants.

• Upvote 1

Welp. The Redskins are who we thought they were. :smug:

14333055_10209660370522012_1014633550609

Work work work work work, they seein' AB twerk twerk twerk twerk twerk. :smug:

• Upvote 1

That's some special kind of dogshit defense, Washington.

This is why I hate not getting the Steelers games and having trouble with streaming. I love this offense so much!

And great job wasting Norman tonight Redskins! Helped us out a lot :smug:

Edited by BigBen07

Redskins treated AB like he's some bumass no name WR.

Norman only lined up against AB 4 times and out of those times he allowed one catch for 10 yards and then forced AB to fumble and the Skins recovered...

I like Breeland, I really do...but they were pressing AB at the LOS and there was NO safety help over the top for the majority of the game.

I do not understand it, if I was the GM of the Skins I would fire that DC immediately. Fucking stupid. Not saying they would've won but I don't think it would've been an all out bumrush.

They did the same damn thing last year ATL. We refused to put Norman on Julio when he was lined up in the slot and Julio would burn whoever was on him.

It boggles the mind, really. Norman is a top-5 corner in this league, IMO, certainly top-10. He can at the very least slow down Antonio Brown and force someone else to step up to beat you. And on a night when Markus Wheaton was already ruled out, that forces someone like Eli Rogers to step up- and he'd be covered by Breeland. I don't get why DCs won't let Norman track the opponent's best WR, I really do not.

Sammie Coates and Eli Rodgers both broke 50 yards as well, so they were still getting open from time to time. I think the major reason you don't have Norman tracking other receivers across the field is because it doesn't play into his strengths. At his heart, he's best in zone coverage, and have him tracking the best guy 1 on 1 man also changes how you have to build your defense. Could he do it? Sure, it'd be fine but it could easily be worse for the defense overall.

Though if Washington plays this poorly against an average offense and not just a great one, then they should at least consider it.

They did the same damn thing last year ATL. We refused to put Norman on Julio when he was lined up in the slot and Julio would burn whoever was on him.

It boggles the mind, really. Norman is a top-5 corner in this league, IMO, certainly top-10. He can at the very least slow down Antonio Brown and force someone else to step up to beat you. And on a night when Markus Wheaton was already ruled out, that forces someone like Eli Rogers to step up- and he'd be covered by Breeland. I don't get why DCs won't let Norman track the opponent's best WR, I really do not.

I'm aware, I just don't get the logic behind it.

Norman does a great job on Julio, they act like he can only play on one half of the field. DC's get paid more money than us so I guess our opinions are worthless :p