BwareDWare94

Rookie/Young QB Evaluations (Week 1)

Evaluate the rookie or young QBs you were able to watch so far this week.

Trevor Siemian (Denver)

The Good: Solid arm strength and poise, conducts drives that accumulate yardage and aid in the field position battle, knows his role.

The Bad: Has a tendency to make huge mistakes because of dangerous throws, which was seen throughout the preseason. If he fucks up, it's bad. Not very mobile even if he's not a statue.

Overall: Promising but has to minimize bad throws to avoid turnovers. There's more good than bad.

Carson Wentz (Philadelphia)

The Good: Excellent poise and above average pocket awareness, rocket arm, 2 sexy TD passes on the kinds of throws that separated him from the other rookie QBs during the draft process, great use of situational velocity (bullets only when needed, otherwise very catchable throws), great ball placement, excellent knowledge of the playbook and comfort with audibles, great hard count, no turnovers, no playbook or scheme limitations.

The Bad: He took way too many hits, did not always recognize when to exit the pocket to extend plays even if the Browns played great containment, had some passes sail on him that nearly resulted in INTs.

Overall: not perfect by any means but rookie debuts don't get much better than this, either. He even picked on Joe Haden once or twice. Let's keep our heads about the kid but Eagles fans shouldn't hesitate to be excited. Carson Wentz made throws yesterday that the Eagles organization hasn't seen in years.

Marcus Mariota (Tennessee)

The Good: two scoring drives, some nice throws but nothing outstanding. He really wasn't good yesterday.

The Bad: clumsy with exchanges, awful pick 6, no real signs of improvement albeit against a great defense

Overall: bad but it's week 1. He'll probably be fine.

More to come.

• Upvote 1

Three things I've noticed about Wentz against the Browns that I didn't see before.

Better pocket presence than I expected. He was able to move around in the pocket and go through his reads better than I saw in college or preseason.

Better deep ball than in college. Passes like the TDs to Agholor and Matthews were too far in college. He was pretty hit or miss with that deep ball accuracy.

He still has issues with the ball sailing too high on routes of the middle which is a safeties dream, though. I wouldn't be shocked if he has a decent amount of picks from those.

In general he looks like the higher end of what was expected coming out of college. When he is on fire he looks like Rodgers out there. Passes are impeccably placed when they're under 15 yards down the field.

Also, I swear to god if one more fucking person calls Siemien poised.

He was poised. Was he great? No, but he kept his head and helped them get the win. It's not like he was horrible.

He has to have some high yardage, high TD games in order to hold off Lynch, though.

I just hate the term poised is all. It gives zero detail as to what Siemien was actually doing. Its a buzzword for "He wasn't making bonehead plays." If that kick goes 15 feet right we're all saying Siemien didn't do enough and asking if Pax should start.

Instead of poised we should be saying, "He stood in the pocket well. He dealt with pressure from the pass rushers decent. He wasn't pushing the ball down the field or making big plays, but he wasn't losing the game for them either."

Poised is a good QB. Average is what Siemien was.

Please do not compare average Cody Kessler to the Pride of Northwestern, Trevor "Poised" Siemian.

I disagree. Even if Gano makes the FG, at least I would be saying Trevor Sieman almost led the Broncos to a win. He earned more playing time.

Please do not compare average Cody Kessler to the Pride of Northwestern, Trevor "Poised" Siemian.

fUcKiNg PoIsEd m8

Had has dick out for Harambe and slapped Cam with it.

Edited by 7-9

Harambe not mobile?

http://gfycat.com/DelayedReliableKiskadee

http://gfycat.com/PastelSameAmethystgemclam

This one was my favorite, pocket broke down and he got the slick sidestep then had the speed to get around the edge. http://gfycat.com/LinearWellmadeIndochinesetiger

Harambe doesn't push the ball down the field to make plays?

http://gfycat.com/ShyCautiousFennecfox 20 yards on a rope to Sanders. Probably the greatest spiral of all time if we're being honest. http://gfycat.com/HappyExemplaryBluefintuna

http://gfycat.com/HospitableConsciousAtlanticspadefish Risky throw, if he didn't throw this perfectly it was a pick-6. Slow mo takes away from the cannon this ball was shot out of.

http://gfycat.com/AmusingConcernedBuck

Accuracy and velocity all night. A lot of young QBs who throw 2 picks in this big of a game would get shook as fuck. Churreh it's your player evaluation that's average :smug: . I really don't see Lynch starting this year unless Trevor starts single-handedly losing us games.

On another note I thought Dak Prescott played well, I just think I was expecting too much. He has a bright future.

Edited by theMileHighGuy
  • Upvote 1

Due to having Redzone on all day I can't really form a good enough opinion on anyone. Count me in on liking Dak's debut however.

IDK why the Browns let Wentz sit back that first drive and didn't blitz him at all. That team is so friggin bad.

Wentz played good though. Will be interesting to see him against a NFL caliber team.

Siemian looked average. He could have had a smoke and a pancake and still delivered a pass in the GIFs above.

Siemian looked average. He could have had a smoke and a pancake and still delivered a pass in the GIFs above.

He's about to get hit in the 3rd one, and faced a good deal of pressure in the 1st half. One of the biggest things Collinsworth was talking about with him was how fast he was getting rid of the ball, and his release was something like .3 seconds or something.

You'll get to see first hand soon :smug:

He's about to get hit in the 3rd one, and faced a good deal of pressure in the 1st half. One of the biggest things Collinsworth was talking about with him was how fast he was getting rid of the ball, and his release was something like .3 seconds or something.

You'll get to see first hand soon :smug:

I saw first hand. I watched the Panthers game.

I mean when he hangs 50 on the Bolts :smug:

Do it against a good team Lul

I think we're starting to see a trend of rookie QB's doing really well their first games because defensive coaches don't have enough to gameplan with. They do tend to fade down the stretch like what Cam and RG3 did their rookie years.

• Upvote 2

I think we're starting to see a trend of rookie QB's doing really well their first games because defensive coaches don't have enough to gameplan with. They do tend to fade down the stretch like what Cam and RG3 did their rookie years.

I thought you were dead wrong on this, then I went and checked the stats.

Cam threw for <175 yards his last three games in 2011 and RG3 threw for <200 four of his last five in 2012. Very interesting. I wonder if fatigue also plays a factor, given that the college season is 3-4 games shorter.

Edited by Thanatos

What is 'young', 25 and under?

Also re: Trevor Sieman.

If he was the #1 overall pick, the criticism is warranted. He was a 7th round draft pick that looks like he could be a decent NFL QB. That's rather rare to have.

Sure he made a bad decision on, (at least IMO), both of his interceptions. Shouldn't have thrown either one. But I know a lot of college QBs that when they first get to the pros have to re-evaluate when someone is open and what throws they can and can't make.

He has a chance to be a starting QB, but ultimately I think he's on a very short leash due to Paxton Lynch being drafted in the first round. Really, I think this is his audition for some QB-needy team when the Broncos inevitably move on to Lynch either this year or next.

Edited by Thanatos

Siemien was great relative to his draft position. We don't grade players based on what we expect though. We grade them on actual performance.

I don't. I feel like you can and should expect things a lot sooner out of someone you draft in round 1, especially near the top, than someone you draft in round 7.

I don't. I feel like you can and should expect things a lot sooner out of someone you draft in round 1, especially near the top, than someone you draft in round 7.

That's a grade to put on the front office and the value they got out of someone, not the player themselves.

Edited by 2-14

Derek Carr is on his third year right? :p

Does he even count?