BwareDWare94

How Good is Xavier Rhodes?

Xavier Rhodes has been an extremely underrated cornerback since he entered the league, at least until last season when people finally started noticing how great he is. I would not have ranked him #1 prior to last season, but at season's end I just didn't think any cornerback had a better season in coverage. Part of the reason he was overlooked is his low INT totals through his first 3 seasons, but I would argue that how rarely he is targeted had a lot to do with that. Near the end of his third season and throughout his fourth season, Rhodes seemed to find a way to maximize his minimal opportunities. After his fourth NFL campaign, I personally think Xavier Rhodes is the best cornerback in the league.

What makes him great?

Rhodes is a hard-to-find combination of god-gifted physical tools and refined ability. He's tall and muscular (I often find myself thinking he's built a lot like a slightly leaner Kam Chancellor). He's also incredibly fast considering his frame, something not that obvious on screen unless he has a chance to return an INT. His 100 yard return against the Cardinals last season showed the NFL world just how fast he is.

He ran away from John Brown on this play.

As for refined ability, I don't know if I've ever seen a CB stick in WRs' back pockets like Rhodes does. He's right there with them in man to man the whole time, and his massive frame is so obvious that he looks like's swallowing his covers whole. In zone coverage, he gets low and gives himself a chance to disappear among the routes and surprise QBs. He's also a fine tackler, though for some reason he's not known for that. I understand that his opposite corner has been a better tackler the last 2 seasons, but it's been Terence Newman over on that side, arguably one of the best tackling cornerbacks in league history, and certainly one of the best tackling corners of the last two decades.

Rhodes changes Minnesota's defense immensely, taking the opposing #1 out of the game almost entirely. It's amazing to watch and I'm thankful the Vikings have him. Call me a homer if you want, but I think he's the best cornerback in the NFL as of right now.

What do the rest of you think?

:rofl: best corner in the league? Takes opposing #1s out of the game? I guess that's why Newman was on Nelson and even when Rhodes switched over, Nelson still beat him.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Not sure which game you were watching but Nelson did pretty much all of his damage against other DBs.

He's good enough that he'll provide great play for our secondary so long as we prioritize keeping him. I don't care if he's the best or not, I just hope we're able to sign him to a smart deal.

As of the end of last season, he became the best. We'll see if that continues. I'd certainly take him over Sherman, Peterson, etc.

He still isn't taking out #1s if Nelson is doing work.

Also for being such a great tackler, Rodgers juked the shit out of him.

https://streamable.com/1wufw

You're referencing the "Rogue" game. That was an interesting week.

He still isn't taking out #1s if Nelson is doing work.

Also for being such a great tackler, Rodgers juked the shit out of him.

https://streamable.com/1wufw

Nelson destroyed them because the Vikings defense literally refused to follow Zimmer's plan and let Rhodes shadow Nelson. Newman said he could cover Nelson just fine and proceeded to do so.

• Upvote 1

IIRC, Nelson did practically nothing against Rhodes in that game when he was matched up against him, anyway. Killed Newman, though. Never put a 35+ year old corner on a #1 WR lol

Newman isn't just old, he's ancient. Born in the '70s and playing corner lol.

• Upvote 2

Rhoades is far from the best CB in the league. Denver has 2 CB's on their team better than Rhodes.

Rhoades is far from the best CB in the league. Denver has 2 CB's on their team better than Rhodes.

Sorry, bro, but you haven't been watching Xavier Rhodes if you don't at least include him in the discussion. He's a better outside corner than Harris. Him and Talib is a damn toss-up, though.

I am not going to say how good I think he is because he is outside my top 3, but after that all positions for me are interchangeable. I will say this, he will get overpaid. He is good enough to get best corner money so that should somewhat say how good he is.

Xavier Rhodes has a hell of a defense around him as well.

But overall I think he's a very good all around corner. I'm not sure I'd say he's the best, but he's up there with the likes of

Patrick Peterson

Casey Heyward

Darius Slay

Xavier Rhodes has a hell of a defense around him as well.

But overall I think he's a very good all around corner. I'm not sure I'd say he's the best, but he's up there with the likes of

Patrick Peterson

Casey Heyward

Darius Slay

Exactly. I'm fine with Rhodes not being considered the best. By and large, he has improved as his career has progressed and he's a solid starter for us. He fits the defense well. I think if/when we get a good corner opposite him (Waynes or otherwise), plus a solid long-term slot option, then we'll have one of the best secondaries. We already have one of the top safeties covering him, and a rather strong DL. I don't think the defense will be an issue, and Rhodes is partially to thank.

I'm gonna hijack this a bit. What do people think of Danielle Hunter? I see a lot of promise, but I'm not very good at discerning what makes a football player good. I've watched a shitload of highlights for various Vikings this offseason, and it seems to me that he has good technique, great athleticism, and an aggression to just get to the ball. I've only seen the highlights, and I can't recall from memory whether he was someone who failed at his duty every now and then. His highlights show aggression and efficiency regardless of what the offense does, but I'm curious what others see.

Hunter appears undersized for the position but has made plays with his snaps throughout his first two seasons. Part of me believes he could become one of the best pass rushers in the game, but part of me also thinks he'd have been that from day 1. Guys develop into really good players, but many great players show that greatness in their first or second season. I love having him on the team and am excited to continue to watch him progress.

Sorry, bro, but you haven't been watching Xavier Rhodes if you don't at least include him in the discussion. He's a better outside corner than Harris. Him and Talib is a damn toss-up, though.

Depends on what you mean by discussion. I have seen Rhodes play and him and Talib is not a toss up. Having the versatility to play inside and outside like Harris can is significant and should not be dismissed. I'm also not ready to say he's a better outside CB than Harris either. Chris Harris was playing at a really high level as a young player before Talib and before they got so stacked on defense.

Malcolm Butler also has to be in conversation for the best CB in the league ahead of Rhodes too in my eyes.

1. Talib

2. Butler

3. Harris

4. Rhodes

5. Jenkins/Heyward/Peterson

8. Slay

9. DRC

10. Grimes

Some real good CB's out there. Rhodes is up there but imo not number 1.

You saying Talib is the best corner in the league disproves just about everything else you say in this thread..

• Upvote 1