Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Confederate Flags and Statues Must be Removed

They are as extreme to the left as Nazis are on the right. They (generally) encourage violence to bring about change and use pretty advanced militant techniques to accomplish what they want. New Jersey has also declared them a terrorist group, one of many I am sure who will do the same thing.

Definition of terrorist:

a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

That's exactly what they do.... lol.

Sooooo......are you saying their are extremists "on both sides" :troll: lol.

• Upvote 1

Phil E. Cheesesteak closing up shop on the thread.

Anyone who says slaves were not the main reason for the Civil War has their head buried in the sand, plain and simple.

There were certainly other reasons, but if you remove slavery from the equation, the Civil War does not happen.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Downvote 1

Fuck Antifa. Worthless cowards

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Remove slaves from the equation and it doesn't happen . No question.

At the same time, if the south would've been able to secede , it also doesn't happen. They would've kept slaves for a time, absolutely, but even guys like Robert E Lee admitted that it was immoral and that there would be a time that there wouldn't be a place for it. So they would've been behind the USA , but who knows by how long.

And it isn't like the Union went to war to free slaves. They went to war to preserve the Union and the country -- to keep us together. Without the economy in the South, the Union would have been in some hot water, at least for a while.

Like I said, you aren't wrong. But I think too many people try oversimplifying the Civil War by saying it's slavery alone that caused it.

Economic reasons and Abe's disregard for the Constitution were big factors.

I would mostly agree.

Except the part about Lee. Lee is idolized to an extreme he completely does not deserve. Guy was a complete moral hypocrite.

I don't really know "if the South was allowed to secede" is really a valid alternate option though.

Edited by Thanatos

I would mostly agree.

Except the part about Lee. Lee is idolized to an extreme he completely does not deserve. Guy was a complete moral hypocrite.

I don't really know "if the South was allowed to secede" is really a valid alternate option though.

Nothing I said about Lee was factually incorrect. I am not going to try to change your opinion about him, I was merely trying to point out that the Civil War was more complex than "because slavery". I am also not saying Lee should be praised, or even liked... I do think there is a group that over glorify him, but I also think there is a sect on the opposite side that demonize him wayyyyy too much. He wasn't a great person, he said and did a lot of bad things.. But he wasn't the worst guy in history and he shouldn't be a symbol for everything negative about the Confederacy / The South.

The guy has a national memorial and his house is now where Arlington National Cemetery is...

Of all the letters by Lee that have been collected by archivists and historians over the years, one of the most famous was written to his wife in 1856. “In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country,” he wrote.

“He was not a pro-slavery ideologue,” Eric Foner, a Civil War historian, author and professor of history at Columbia University, said of Lee. “But I think equally important is that, unlike some white southerners, he never spoke out against slavery.”

Again.. Not saying he was a great person or that he should even be liked... That's up to the individual.

And I mean, I understand why Lincoln didn't want the South to secede. I get it. I mean, it's kind of ironic that the Union needed the Southern economy so badly... especially considering that the Southern economy was built on slavery. However, legally, they had a right to secede. It's all about understand different perspectives, I think.. Both on this topic and in life.

Anybody else notice that nearly everybody who kicked the statue in Durham was white as snow?

I hope they all broke their fucking toes

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Anybody else notice that nearly everybody who kicked the statue in Durham was white as snow?

Lol, that would be fucking hilarious. You know at least one did.

I'm a little confused to how this is a bad thing? Or even something to be critical of?

Are you critiquing white people for standing up on behalf of the minority? Or am I just reading too much into this?

That is fucking ridiculous. Idiocy. What a bunch of stupid pussies. lmao.

• Upvote 1

Why does that surprise absolutely nobody? Of course its reasonable that people are thought to be better somewhere else due to their name. Talk about being discriminated against for something you cant control lol.

Edited by Omerta

lmaoESPN. No wonder that shithole station is slowly meeting its end. I really doubt most people would have complained or even noticed if they hadn't brought it up first. Jesus.

I'm honestly really glad I live in Colombia now. You can actually say what you think here even if others disagree with you. They'll politely tell you why they believe their opinion is right and then buy you a beer after. Imagine that. Even a lot of my friends here who admire the U.S. greatly ask me why people get so offended easily there.

Truthfully, most people in the U.S. wouldn't last here more than a few weeks. People here are very frank and matter-of-fact. If they don't like something, it doesn't take a long time to find out.

Why does that surprise absolutely nobody? Of course its reasonable that people are thought to be better somewhere else due to their name. Talk about being discriminated against for something you cant control lol.

They told him if he didn't want to switch games he didn't have to. It was his decision.

They told him if he didn't want to switch games he didn't have to. It was his decision.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/22/espn-pulls-announcer-robert-lee-university-virgini/

It sounds like it became an issue and they made the decision as a collective. That is all I have read. The fact it could even be an issue that an asian named robert lee is calling games is heinous. This is why nobody takes this oppression bullshit seriously. Everyone is opressed and few are above being crushed by crybullies who condone shit like this.

It is kinda funny in a sad sorta way though that now, asians are being oppressed lol.

Edited by Omerta
  • Downvote 1

I agree that this wasn't a big deal and ESPN was being overly cautious when they thought about it.

That being said, I'd hardly call your boss asking you if you'd rather do a different assignment to be on the same level as the oppression that so many minorities have and continue to face is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

I agree that this wasn't a big deal and ESPN was being overly cautious when they thought about it.

That being said, I'd hardly call your boss asking you if you'd rather do a different assignment to be on the same level as the oppression that so many minorities have and continue to face is ridiculous.

If FeauxNews told a black man that he should probably not cover Greenwich Connecticuit news because it made residents uncomfortable this would be a whole different thing. There would probably be a protest right now in Greenwhich. Since the guy is Asian though, its whatevs. Not exactly equality imo.

Equally should not be a buffet where you get to have all the good shit and not have to go through all the shit to get it. In this case what happens to the addage of an assault on one of our rights is an assault on all. Nobody cares because the guy is asian how fucked up is it.

Edited by Omerta
  • Downvote 1

I'm a little confused to how this is a bad thing? Or even something to be critical of?

Are you critiquing white people for standing up on behalf of the minority? Or am I just reading too much into this?

They're not standing up for you. They're uninformed teenage or early twenty something mouthbreathers who are participating in self-gratification.

You ask any of those people in the video for a history lesson and reasoning behind what they're doing and all you'll get is dumb looks and a bunch of stuttering as they try to remember the catch phrases from the TV. They're worthless idiots who nobody takes seriously

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

No one told him he had to swap games, they asked if HE would be more comfortable swapping games, and he said he would. At least, according to them. Unless someone has evidence to the contrary, I don't see why we're assuming that's not the truth.

Now if ESPN indeed forced or even pressured him to swap games, then yeah sure, that's a problem, but if they just asked him if he wanted to, its not a big deal, IMO.

I kinda agree though that it probably wouldn't be a big deal if ESPN hadn't mentioned it, but I honestly don't know anymore. Sounds like they were more concerned about him being made fun of than offending someone else because of his name, as some people seem to be implying in here.

This would never have been an issue at all, except for the fact that it was leaked to Clay Travis of Outkick the Coverage, who frequently critiques ESPN and has accused the company of having a liberal bias. Travis wrote about it on his Web site Tuesday night and it exploded into a national story, with Travis appearing on Tucker Carlson's Fox News program. It seems ESPN was hoping to shield their employee from any potential ridicule or embarrassment. Instead, they made a mountain out of a molehill and the entire thing has backfired spectacularly.
Edited by Thanatos
  • Downvote 1

They said they eventually came to an agreement to switch him games. Why use the word eventually if you simply ask him and he says yes ?

Do people really believe that Espn was worried about people making memes about him ? Come on ... ha . Rule one, if you want the Internet to do or act a certain way, don't tell them to not do it . Because they will. They caused to happen exactly what they said they wanted to avoid.

They're either lying or extreme idiots.

And ESPN does have a liberal base. And they're a dying network.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

Sure, that's the only possible explanation. :rolleyes:

Is that what we do now, just assume everyone is lying if it fits our agenda for them to be doing so?

Its now an assault on our rights! People should be protesting in the streets because one guy- as far as we know if we aren't assuming shit- agreed with his employer not to cover a game! Not every decision- poor or not- is because things are this mega-evil corporation bent on suppressing freedom of speech or being as PC as possible.

I hate this tactic that is pulled by extremists on both sides. They make this ridiculous comparison using extreme hyperbole to try to say that one thing is equal to another.

Do you guys *really* think that people are being racist to Asians by not protesting in the streets over this? C'mon, man.

• Downvote 2

I don't think ESPN lied. I think they are just dumb.