Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

2017 College Football Playoff Thread

With the committee's first rankings unveiled last week and with the shake-up in the Big Ten last night, now is a good time to get this discussion going.

It looks like multiple teams will have strong arguments for the top 4, and I continue to be fascinated by a potential SEC Championship game between an undefeated Alabama and an undefeated Georgia. You would assume both teams would make the Playoff in that scenario (no matter who wins, barring a blowout), but what if you've also got:

• undefeated, Big 10 champ Wisconsin
  • undefeated, ACC champ Miami
  • 1-loss, Big 12 champ Oklahoma

Can you justify kicking out one of those in favor of a 1-loss SEC team that didn't win its conference?

Miami needs to lose.

Miami needs to lose.

That Notre Dame game next week is going to be fun. That's a playoff game, essentially, for both teams. A 2-loss Notre Dame doesn't make the Playoff, and I don't think a 1-loss ACC champ Miami would either.

Absolutely. Wisconsin doesn't make it in that scenario, IMO.

Oh man, the salt if a 1-loss SEC runner-up team gets in over a P5 champion is going to be insane.

• Upvote 1

If Wisconsin continues to win, beating OSU in the B1G Championship, they deserve to be in the playoffs. I'm not too sure if they can do that because Hornibrook remains a huge question for the team. The defense is great and Johnathan Taylor has been lighting it up though.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

If Wisconsin continues to win, beating OSU in the B1G Championship, they deserve to be in the playoffs. I'm not too sure if they can do that because Hornibrook remains a huge question for the team. The defense is great and Johnathan Taylor has been lighting it up though.

Who says OSU is getting in the conf championship game?

With the committee's first rankings unveiled last week and with the shake-up in the Big Ten last night, now is a good time to get this discussion going.

It looks like multiple teams will have strong arguments for the top 4, and I continue to be fascinated by a potential SEC Championship game between an undefeated Alabama and an undefeated Georgia. You would assume both teams would make the Playoff in that scenario (no matter who wins, barring a blowout), but what if you've also got:

• undefeated, Big 10 champ Wisconsin
  • undefeated, ACC champ Miami
  • 1-loss, Big 12 champ Oklahoma
Can you justify kicking out one of those in favor of a 1-loss SEC team that didn't win its conference?

If there's chaos at the end of the season, we should say hello to a true and final 8-team playoff.

If there's chaos at the end of the season, we should say hello to a true and final 8-team playoff.

I'm all for expanding the playoffs, but an 8-team format would only lead to more controversy, because more teams would have legitimate claims to the top 8.

Honestly I like the 4 team playoff. I initially wanted a bigger one but I think 4 is the right number. Keeps it exclusive and I don't think there's been a team that really has gotten screwed out of a possible title since it was made.

Only argument for an 8-team playoff is to include undefeated teams from non P5 conferences. Gives teams like last year's Western Michigan a shot to show what they're worth. That said, allowing in 3 more lesser teams isn't worth that.

So much for that

They didn't show up. It happens. Where was OSU last week? Oh yeah, choking on their asses. At least MSU everyone knew we weren't going this year. Have fun watching OSU get screwed over, same with wisconsin. Whoever bandwagon you jump on. Edited by Sparty
  • Downvote 2

Holy cow Georgia is melting down...

They didn't show up. It happens. Where was OSU last week? Oh yeah, choking on their asses. At least MSU everyone knew we weren't going this year. Have fun watching OSU get screwed over, same with wisconsin. Whoever bandwagon you jump on.

Someone's a bit testy. If you notice, I'm a Packers fan as well a Badgers fan so not jumping on any bandwagons. Been a Wisconsin fan since I was little.

Someone's a bit testy. If you notice, I'm a Packers fan as well a Badgers fan so not jumping on any bandwagons. Been a Wisconsin fan since I was little.

But yet you rarely ever talk Badgers football. But hey, I don't blame ya, cause I know you're still butthurt about another certain hail mairy. :smug:

• Downvote 2

But yet you rarely ever talk Badgers football. But hey, I don't blame ya, cause I know you're still butthurt about another certain hail mairy. :smug:

There isn't much talk of CFB on this forum period. Some happens in the shout box but that's about all that happens. Bringing up a game that happened 6 years ago? Nice. Remind me, how did that Big Ten Championship game go again? How did that game against Wisc go for MSU last year? Oh ya, 30-6.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Georgia must be perpetually cursed. They lose games they shouldn't have under Richt. Get rid of him, bring in a new guy, and still lose.

:rog:

Also sucks cuz Auburn isn't beating both #1 Georgia and #1 Bama in the same season. They wasted their win on the wrong team.

I still contend that Miami isn't any good, but I don't have anything to back it up with.

Edited by Vin

Washington and Georgia losing sucks pretty hard. Just want to see new faces in contention at this point.

My personal top four, if I had a vote:

1) Alabama

2) Miami

3) Wisconsin

4) Oklahoma

Yes, I'm old school and benefit the undefeated teams on principle.

1) Alabama

2) Miami

3) Wisconsin

4) Oklahoma

I don't agree with the logic many people are using to include Clemson because they were champs last year....too much personnel turnover in college for that to be a go-to. A loss like the Cuse loss should be a nail in coffin when compared to most of the other teams' resumes.

Edited by BJORN

Clemson still has a shot. Doesn't matter though. Every year there's controversy and every year it ends up being a really easy decision.

1) Alabama

2) Miami

3) Wisconsin

4) Oklahoma

If all 4 of these teams continue to win, then this should be it. All 4 would have won their respective conferences and should be in the playoffs. Only way Clemson should get in is if they beat Miami in the ACC championship.

• Upvote 1

If Auburn beats Bama, do you think Bama gets left out? SEC is trash this year, and I think it'd be shitty to include two teams from one conference this year. I just do not think any conference is good enough to justify that this year. Bama has a tough(ish) schedule to close the year, but the SEC itself just isn't what it once was.

I don't imagine OSU gets into the playoff. They played like shit against Iowa, and frankly I pin that on the coaches. We have more athletic players than Wisconsin, and yet could not cope with Iowa's game plan as effectively as their defense could. I would imagine that has something to do with scheming and preparation.

That being said, I think the SEC and ACC only put in one team a piece. I think the Big 12 gets a team in for sure. I don't think the Pac 12 will get in, so I think a 1 loss or undefeated B1G Champ Wisconsin gets in.

So that's (ignore order, just listing possibilities):

1) One loss Georgia (SEC Champ)/2 loss Auburn (SEC Champ)

2) Undefeated or 1-loss Miami (ACC Champ)/1-loss Clemson (ACC Champ)

3) 1-loss Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ)

4) Undefeated or 1-loss Wisconsin (B1G Champ)

Some other options down the line (again in no particular order):

5) 2-loss USC (Pac 12 Champ)

They have a loss on the road to #19 Washington State and a loss on the road to (falling) #3 Notre Dame. I don't really think the Pac 12 is strong enough to justify putting a 2-loss conference champ in, but who knows.

6) 2-loss Ohio State (B1G Champ)

I also don't think this is super likely. Honestly, I'd imagine the SEC might get a second team in ahead of a B1G Champ Ohio State. Still, they have the home wins against #14 Penn State and #12 Michigan State, with potential wins against a potential Top 25 Michigan team on the road and #8 Wisconsin in the Big 12 Championship. The home loss to a likely playoff team in Oklahoma is understandable, but the drubbing by Iowa is inexcusable. Maybe they'd get in over Georgia; they really haven't had all that many resume-building wins, although they're SEC and they play with style or something like that. Bama would probably get the nod just because of poll position and such.

7) 1-loss Notre Dame

I think this is a far cry from happening and would require literally every team ahead of them blowing one of these last few games.

8) 2-loss TCU

I could see this happening. I think the Big 12 is strong enough this year that they will get a team in no matter what. None of the conferences are strong enough to justify two teams and the only non-Power Five team with a shot is Notre Dame.