Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Repeat After Me

Show me how you quantify lack of effort. You're the one saying we need this radical change to society or whatever. The burden of proof is on you.

• Upvote 2

Go to work and observe those around you. That's all the proof you need

The people at my workplace seem to work hard. This just seems like you're just getting emotional because of a bad coworker.

Go to work and observe those around you. That's all the proof you need

Not really a great argument to make. This is a blue collar website for the most part, with people who work blue collar jobs. I am in the construction trade and there is a some hard-working motherfuckers that work for me. IF they dont I get rid of them that day and get the hall to send me another journeyman who will for $100 bucks an hour. Those dudes work for every dime they get. They deserve it too.

Maybe you just work around some lazy cocksuckers. I will agree that it seems like the younger generation does not work as hard on the average, and are waaaay quicker to pull out their god damn phones on the jobsite. That said there are still some young guys who work their asses off because they hate the thought of these old douchebags giving them hell. I know when I was the one swinging the hammer there was not a man alive that outworked me. I am in my early 30's so I am still fairly young.

Edited by Omerta
  • Upvote 1

I'm fine. I don't think I'm better than anybody. I do think, however, that hard workers deserve better pay, and a better life. That being said, I don't wish hardship among those who don't work hard, but I don't think they are as deserving as those who put forth a higher level of effort. There needs to be reward for excellence, and ramifications for consciously choosing to be mediocre or worse. Very few people are incapable of excellence.

If there's anything that has made me jaded it's not related to this thread. The way I've been treated by people who grew close to me has been discussed in other threads and while those things were difficult, I'm currently in a much better place and there are certainly many other people who've experienced as bad or worse.

Back on the ranch--I'm just burned out by extreme radical liberalism. It's hard to take seriously a set of ideals that believes people are naturally fruitcakes and nobody is personally responsible for any of their failures.

I think we could have our cake and eat it too on this point. If you end up being great at building bridges I'd be all for certain people making more money or just people with more experience making money or whatever. I don't think that would stop us from creating jobs and paying people a living wage. If they suck or they're lazy have them holding a sign on a road crew or doing something simple but pay them a living wage.

Edited by seanbrock

Sure, but pay the rest of the crew more.

Right, I don't think anyone would have an issue with that. Give everybody a living wage but reward hard work and talent with more money. Honestly I think it goes without saying. I can only speak for myself in that regard but I'm pretty sure 99% of people would agree with this line of thinking.

Back on the ranch--I'm just burned out by extreme radical liberalism. It's hard to take seriously a set of ideals that believes people are naturally fruitcakes and nobody is personally responsible for any of their failures.

I 100% agree with that. There is progressive people and progressives, then there is regressives and the regressive left. The regressive left is every bit as dangerous if not more so than the right. I am with you and think it is a disease that should be stamped out.

Edited by Omerta
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Right, I don't think anyone would have an issue with that. Give everybody a living wage but reward hard work and talent with more money. Honestly I think it goes without saying. I can only speak for myself in that regard but I'm pretty sure 99% of people would agree with this line of thinking.

Hard work is subjective. People would bitch about not getting as much. This isn't a millennial thing either, it's people being petty pieces of shit in general.

Not necessarily disagreeing but you know someone would come along and say it's unfair.

Edited by OSUViking

Hard work is subjective. People would bitch about not getting as much. This isn't a millennial thing either, it's people being petty pieces of shit in general.

Not necessarily disagreeing but you know someone would come along and say it's unfair.

Hard work is NOT subjective by any stretch of the imagination. If an individual is reasonable they can observe who works harder among their co-workers or the crew they oversee. Hard work should be rewarded. Fairness isn't important because what's deemed fair isn't actually fair. What is fair is a difference in pay where hard workers are paid more than lazy fucks.

Hard work is NOT subjective by any stretch of the imagination. If an individual is reasonable they can observe who works harder among their co-workers or the crew they oversee. Hard work should be rewarded. Fairness isn't important because what's deemed fair isn't actually fair. What is fair is a difference in pay where hard workers are paid more than lazy fucks.

Since its not subjective, then it must be quantifiable, and you should have data to back up your claims rather than feelings.

I 100% agree with that. There is progressive people and progressives, then there is regressives and the regressive left. The regressive left is every bit as dangerous if not more so than the right. I am with you and think it is a disease that should be stamped out.

Radical Regressive Liberalism has a much higher chance to affect legislation, so you are 100% right there. It's dangerous. We need to entrench ourselves in reality as citizens and say no to their nonsense, no matter how many friends we might lose, or how many people we might upset.

Wise people stand for what is right, even if it isn't popular.

Since its not subjective, then it must be quantifiable, and you should have data to back up your claims rather than feelings.

In order for it to be quantifiable I'd have to literally take notes the entire time I was working and I myself couldn't do my part.

In order for it to be quantifiable I'd have to literally take notes the entire time I was working and I myself couldn't do my part

So then how do you know its a real problem destroying society?

So then how do you know its a real problem destroying society?

Because I don't need to quantify it when I see it plain as day.

So your evidence for a fundamental flaw in society is the fact that you don't like some of your coworkers.

So your evidence for a fundamental flaw in society is the fact that you don't like some of your coworkers.

I don't dislike them. I just acknowledge that they're lazy as hell. There's a difference. Useless is useless whether you like the person or not.

For the last fucking time, blots, quit changing the words of others in order to fit the narrative of your argument. At no point did I say that I don't like these coworkers. I just said that in a work setting, they are useless.

For the last fucking time, blots, quit changing the words of others in order to fit the narrative of your argument. At no point did I say that I don't like these coworkers. I just said that in a work setting, they are useless.

That is literally the least relevant part of any of this.

Well, if he never said that, your statement is completely irrelevant isnt it?

• Upvote 1

That is literally the least relevant part of any of this.

It is not. You can't base an argument on responding to words that weren't actually said.

This goes back to the supposed right wing talking point about people who would just live on welfare and not work. Depending on the quality of living I would ABSOLUTELY do it. If I were able to simply have a water, electricity, and an internet connection I'd be fine with spending my days playing video games and working on personal projects. The majority of society won't sit on their ass if they get welfare, but there are a lot of people that would.

In regards to drunk driving

Sorry for your loss, Than. Always hate hearing about shit like that because it is so preventable. This is another example of me being an absolute extremist, but I think people who are busted drunk driving should serve a mandatory year sentence. Repeat offenders get 5-10. It's NEVER okay. It's not a strong enough prevention to give a slap on the wrist for DUI then talk about how awful it is when people die afterwards.

You're not only putting your own life at risk when drunk behind the wheel, you're putting everyone else on the road in danger. Some innocent driver who makes no mistakes can get killed. Then you consider children who may be in the car. It's fucking disgusting, man. A one year old child is never going to experience life because some fuckhead thought it was okay to operate a two ton machine that goes fast as fuck while destroyed.

Edited by Chernobyl426

This goes back to the supposed right wing talking point about people who would just live on welfare and not work. Depending on the quality of living I would ABSOLUTELY do it. If I were able to simply have a water, electricity, and an internet connection I'd be fine with spending my days playing video games and working on personal projects. The majority of society won't sit on their ass if they get welfare, but there are a lot of people that would.

At first I was mortified when I read this, but the I thought about it. I already knew this, not about you specifically, but a lot of people. The only thing you did different was, you were honest about it. So that is much appreciated and its whateva.

So are you, or are you not in support of welfare lol?

At first I was mortified when I read this, but the I thought about it. I already knew this, not about you specifically, but a lot of people. The only thing you did different was, you were honest about it. So that is much appreciated and its whateva.

So are you, or are you not in support of welfare lol?

I've always been a very content person when it comes to my lifestyle, and I don't really have wealthy aspirations. That's a big part of why I'm honest about that stance. As long as I'm happy with the quality of life I live, I don't think I'll ever feel the urgency to work harder. When you first look at that opinion you're like "Holy shit what a moocher" but the more you think about it the more it makes sense. I think part of it is that what I enjoy doesn't necessarily make money (My draft stuff), but I'm not lacking in work ethic for it. I just don't have the work ethic for something I'm not passionate about.

I'm in support of welfare, but I think it should be a very low standard of living that is given. You should have just enough to keep the lights on and just enough to get food in your stomach, especially if you choose not to work. I'm a big fan of the Negative Income Tax idea as a means of properly distributing wealth. It's easier to keep track of a simple "How much did you make? Here is how much you are allocated" system rather than having a bunch of varying programs that can often end up with those who work less making more.

Really curious to see how we adapt our welfare policies and distribution of wealth as technology becomes more and more powerful. It's already taking away manual labor jobs in many fields, so we're going to have a lot of unemployment. Government will either have to step in to provide a living for people or there will be new levels of wealth inequality in the first world.

Here's something to repeat after me:

Don't fucking drive drunk. I know some people on here think its okay to be a little buzzed and drive. Fuck you.

I just lost one of my closest friends, was across the hall from me in seminary, to a fucking idiot who thought it was okay to drive drunk. What's more, his 1-year old daughter was in the backseat and was killed on impact as well. His wife just sent me an email. Just some fucking words on a screen that lets me know one of my best friends is dead because some fucking idiot couldn't take the time to call a goddamn taxi.

It is NEVER fucking okay to drive drunk. Ever. No matter the circumstance. Call a fucking cab.

I'm really sorry man.

It is not. You can't base an argument on responding to words that weren't actually said.

What he's saying is anecdotal evidence doesn't make for a very strong argument. I know both you and Ngata are fully intelligent enough to understand what blots is saying. Please stop playing dumb. There will ALWAYS be lazy people in every field of work in every society and people to pick up their slack. This has literally always been the case. At the restaurant I work at 95% of the women are pretty lazy but when they have direction they work. I see them standing in a corner on their phone and I give them a job. This isn't a generational thing imo. This is a smart phone thing. There are plenty of people in their 30's and 40's in their phone. I've worked with them and I've worked all kinds of jobs.

It's easy for me to work hard. At a restaurant I would like to be home before 1 AM and on the job site the faster you get a job done, the more money you make and the fast I can get home and have a drink or some a little herb and come talk shit with you guys on TGP.