Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

What's wrong with the Raiders?

Straight up. The Raiders by and large are viewed as a disappointment. It comes down to this.

1) Todd Downing - Downing is simply not an NFL caliber OC. He took over the reigns of a 6th ranked offense with every OC's dream in terms of personnel ...and has ultimately destroyed it.

DRYvV9aUIAANU1B.jpg

We have the largest O-Line in the league, we have the best back in the league in term of forcing missed tackles... but what do we do? Plays like this at 4:27

Downing is BENT on running the ball outside... and from shotgun (that we use 90% of the time) with Marshawn and our line that is full of maulers. Lynch is most effective between the tackles and with a head of steam and a lead blocker.

Downing has removed Olawalee (FB) from our offense as he did wonders for Latavius Murray last year and is calling completely predictable plays.

1st down. Run outside with lynch.

2nd down. Same.

3rd and long Downing calls screens that EVERYONE and their mother could stop... as exampled in this last game.

https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/942847638260477952

That is simply horrendous. 17 targets and less than 50 yards? That's not Crabtree's fault, that is the coordinator... which leads to the next problem.

2) Fire JDR. This guy had his moments, but the fact that he endorses Downing who is ultimately the cause in the regression on offense, is a fireable offense. JDR game after game wants to talk this rah rah bullshit of finding mojo and such...

If you have a guy that fumbles THREE TIMES in one game... would you keep playing him? Bill Behlichick wouldn't.

As far as the defense... Ken Norton was CLEARLY the issue that should've been dealt with a long time ago.

https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/942992154518892544

That's simply incredible for the complete lack of a secondary. Irvin, Mack, Bowman, Autry and a few others have looked like the players they are under Pagano taking over. Pagano is a coach that knows his players and let's them do what they are best at.

The Raiders are an average team, if Del Rio isn't removed that's not the end of the world but Downing absolutely has to go if this team wants to get better, same with our drafting.

Gareon Conley, Obi Melifonwu, Eddie Vanderdoes, Jihad Ward, Shilique Calhoun are all 1st to 3rd rounders that have contributed nothing besides injuries or ineptitude.

Should've taken Foster or Tredavious... or just about anyone but those two.

As far as Derek Carr, he's playing hurt it's visible to see, he will bounce back next year.

Edited by ATL
  • Upvote 2

Sad to see you say Calhoun has done nothing, I swore he'd be good in the NFL.

Sad to see you say Calhoun has done nothing, I swore he'd be good in the NFL.

Well. The book is still out on him because KNJ didn't know how to use anyone. Maybe Pagano can get something out of him yet, but he really seems undersized out there.

There's a lot of things wrong with the Raiders, the first of which is that they aren't that good. Also, if you mean to tell me that the Raiders aren't better off without Bill Musgrave, you're crazy. That dude is a fucking horrible offensive coordinator. The Raiders when I have watched them squander opportunity after opportunity. Dropped passes galore. They simply aren't executing at all, and that goes from the quarterback on down. Cooper and Crabtree were never going to keep up their crazy production from last year. Defensively, the Raiders are practically non-existent in the secondary. Everybody wants a big hitting safety like Karl Joseph, but can he cover even a low level NFL pass-catcher? There's a lot of work to do. There's often a step back after a big step forward, and that's what the Raiders are seeing this season. They're still a threat to be a perennial contender, but it's time to fix that defense. Retain Bowman, add a few pieces in the secondary. Offensively, while they should hope Lynch will play one more year, it's time to to draft a running back.

Great post, man. I literally haven't watched them play this year and I was pretty pissed at their performance considering I had $100 that the Chiefs would miss the playoffs.

So Bruce Irvin is doing well? He was one of the last guys I was all about coming out of the draft before I stopped paying attention. Was disappointed as hell that he didn't just flourish in Seattle.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

Amari Cooper has to be better too. He's the kind of player that should be making plays regardless of scheme or play calling. His year this year reminds me of Nelson Agholor's first two seasons. I think it's a mental thing with him. He has the talent. Crabtree isn't explosive enough to be the number 1 receiver. He's an awesome possession receiver but they need Cooper to be that home run threat for this thing to work too.

There's a lot of things wrong with the Raiders, the first of which is that they aren't that good. Also, if you mean to tell me that the Raiders aren't better off without Bill Musgrave, you're crazy. That dude is a fucking horrible offensive coordinator. The Raiders when I have watched them squander opportunity after opportunity. Dropped passes galore. They simply aren't executing at all, and that goes from the quarterback on down. Cooper and Crabtree were never going to keep up their crazy production from last year. Defensively, the Raiders are practically non-existent in the secondary. Everybody wants a big hitting safety like Karl Joseph, but can he cover even a low level NFL pass-catcher? There's a lot of work to do. There's often a step back after a big step forward, and that's what the Raiders are seeing this season. They're still a threat to be a perennial contender, but it's time to fix that defense. Retain Bowman, add a few pieces in the secondary. Offensively, while they should hope Lynch will play one more year, it's time to to draft a running back.

Bill Musgrave is a horrible coordinator.

What's that tell you when I say Downing is a JH powderpuff girl OC?

The secondary is indeed lacking

What ever happened to Gareon Conley?

He's a pussy that can't play through shin splints. Didn't even play a full game this year. Likes to run his mouth a lot. Worthless pick. Don't care if he turns out to be good. I don't like his attitude and I wish we would've taken Ruben Foster or Tredavious White.

Great post, man. I literally haven't watched them play this year and I was pretty pissed at their performance considering I had $100 that the Chiefs would miss the playoffs.

So Bruce Irvin is doing well? He was one of the last guys I was all about coming out of the draft before I stopped paying attention. Was disappointed as hell that he didn't just flourish in Seattle.

Bruce Irvin has been a man on fire since KNJ has been gone. He's simply been not used correctly. Horrible since the guy he was playing under was the LB coach on the same Seattle team.

As good as a football player as Irvin is, he’s at the end of his sixth year in the NFL and has only 36.5 career sacks. To put that in perspective, Mack has 40.5 sacks at the end of just his fourth year.

Add to that the fact that Irvin has yet to clear the 10-sack mark in an NFL season. The most he’s ever had in a season is 8.0 and he did that as a rookie. Irvin had seven last year and through the first 10 games this year, he had just 3.5, making one wonder what he did to be a Slash Brother. That is changing of late and it looks like he could get to 10 this year.

It would appear Irvin was being stopped under former defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. Since Pagano became the DC, Irvin, has more that doubled his sack total up to 7.5 on the season. In the last four games, he has sacked opposing quarterbacks five times. That’s in part because he’s getting more opportunities to rush the passer. According to Pro Football Focus, he dropped into coverage on 17.42 percent of his snaps compared to 6.73 under Pagano.

The more opportunities you get to do something, the better you become at it. And Irvin is no exception as his pass-rush productivity on a per snap basis has improved by 5.4 percent since Pagano has taken over. So being named a Slash Brother as well as his $9.5 million a year contract fits much better now.

Amari Cooper has to be better too. He's the kind of player that should be making plays regardless of scheme or play calling. His year this year reminds me of Nelson Agholor's first two seasons. I think it's a mental thing with him. He has the talent. Crabtree isn't explosive enough to be the number 1 receiver. He's an awesome possession receiver but they need Cooper to be that home run threat for this thing to work too.

Amari simply needs to catch the ball. He's most effective from the slot and he's a hell of a route runner. Downing has no idea how to use him. Trying to make him block and constantly have him on double post routes makes the defense not respect his speed and ability when the double move happens. He'll be fine. Crabtree will be too. Offense is a trainwreck thanks to JDR and Downing

Fire both.

Mind explaining the deal with Karl Joseph and Reggie Nelson? Corners have definitely played like shit, but I expected much more from those guys than they've reportedly been putting out. Seems like lack of depth in front seven outside of Mack has just doomed Raiders defense.

Mind explaining the deal with Karl Joseph and Reggie Nelson? Corners have definitely played like shit, but I expected much more from those guys than they've reportedly been putting out. Seems like lack of depth in front seven outside of Mack has just doomed Raiders defense.

Reggie Nelson has clearly lost a step. He can still make plays, but he is out of position more often than not, he's improved under Pagano tho, but it's clear he doesn't have the agility/speed that he used to.

Karl Joseph is great. He gets bullied in coverage too. Young, but fixable. Joseph also draws TE's a lot like Kelce, Gronk, Walker, Ertz... he just hasn't been able to win this year honestly. It's a learning curve for him, but he's a hell of a player that flies all over the field... and is usually trying to make up for someone else's mistake in the secondary.

The problem is the Raiders need moar Spider 2 Y Banana. I know a guy....

9904830_web1_ap_010108015082017123019463

• Upvote 1

I would hate to see Gruden leave the booth. He's fucking hilarious.

Multiple sources are saying it's a done deal. Just waiting for confirmation from the Raiders.

Would Gruden bring in his own DC or you guys think he keeps what he has in Pagano?

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter

FollowFollow @AdamSchefter

More

Bengals' DC Paul Guenther, whose contract is now up, is an enviable position: he is expected to be a leading candidate to become Jon Gruden's DC in Oakland or could be HC candidate in Cincinnati depending on how the Marvin Lewis situations unfolds, per league source.

Man.. I feel sick about all of this.

Del Rio getting fired was the right move. I just don't know what to feel about Gruden.... or that Jets OC... or that Bengals DC.

At least they all have experience tho compared to Downing.

I would prefer to keep Pagano but we shall see.