Aussie Falcons Fan

What are you reading???

Started reading book two of The Demon Cycle: The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett again, thinking that the next book was coming in September...just found out it has been pushed back until February 2013. I will say that Brett is quickly becoming my favorite fantasy writer, this whole Demon Cycle series is absolutely fantastic and rather unique in the often redundant world of fantasy novels.

finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter recently. Was pleasantly surprised.

Started reading book two of The Demon Cycle: The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett again, thinking that the next book was coming in September...just found out it has been pushed back until February 2013. I will say that Brett is quickly becoming my favorite fantasy writer, this whole Demon Cycle series is absolutely fantastic and rather unique in the often redundant world of fantasy novels.

I've only read the Sword of Truth series, and that was very hit or miss. I started the Wheel of Time at one point, but lost the first book two thirds of the way through and only found it recently.

Any suggestions for fantasy novels/series?

I've only read the Sword of Truth series, and that was very hit or miss. I started the Wheel of Time at one point, but lost the first book two thirds of the way through and only found it recently.

Any suggestions for fantasy novels/series?

Depending on what you like in the fantasy genre. I would recommend the Legend of Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore if you like Elves and Dwarves and things like that.

You can also check out the Enders Game series by Orson Scott Card, they are always good choices, but (to me) get a little juvenile. Not that it is a totally bad thing.

For something different, go with The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. Brett manages to create a very engrossing world where the battle between good and evil is waged on a nightly basis. He writes his books a little like George R.R. Martin in that he likes to tell the story through the eyes of several different characters.

• Upvote 1

Depending on what you like in the fantasy genre. I would recommend the Legend of Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore if you like Elves and Dwarves and things like that.

You can also check out the Enders Game series by Orson Scott Card, they are always good choices, but (to me) get a little juvenile. Not that it is a totally bad thing.

For something different, go with The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. Brett manages to create a very engrossing world where the battle between good and evil is waged on a nightly basis. He writes his books a little like George R.R. Martin in that he likes to tell the story through the eyes of several different characters.

+1 for Salvatore. Love those books.

Also try Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen (Gardens of the Moon is the first book in the series) I'm halfway through book three of the ten book series and they've all been pretty epic so far. (Somebody else needs to read them anyway, or at least a sample, because I'm tired of bringing it up <_>

Started reading a collection of H.P. Lovecraft. Time to see what all the fuss is about.

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets by Curt Gentry

I'm more of a bio reader, I just like them a lot more for many reasons.

I'm about 250 pages in of about maybe 7-800. Really detailed almost a text book style reading.

That's probably not everyone's cup of tea but I prefer it.

Anyways, very fascinating stuff right now I'm wondering if this mans name even deserves to be on a Government building.

• Upvote 1

Started reading a collection of H.P. Lovecraft. Time to see what all the fuss is about.

So I'm trying to read everything in chronological order. Pretty much everything he wrote between the ages of 8-17 has been bad (which I guess is to be expected). Now that I've started the stuff he wrote in his 20s, the quality has picked up considerably.

I've got about 100 pages left in Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent, apparently it was the first good courtroom drama (according to my dad who reads constantly) and it is pretty damn good

I finished Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire in the last couple days and have just started the final book in the trilogy, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.

Highly recommended. Don't watch the movie first (or ever, because it will probably piss you off if you care about discrepancies between the book and the film).

Next I'm going to either read something by Vonnegut or Kesey (if I can find a place that sells Kesey's other works outside of my all-time favorite, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I read the first chapter of the series Vin suggested. It's pretty interesting, I might just buy the series, because I appreciate the way the story is going so far even if it hasn't gotten off it's haunches yet.

• Upvote 1

I remembered that I had saved a couple of the short stories that I read in middle/high school somewhere and am on a mission to find and read Time and Again.

That story will forever be remembered as the story that launched me into my love for English. Until today, I couldn't remember the author's name. Breece D'J Pancake. It's pretty awesome to find out, after reading more about him, that he was a major influence on two of my favorite authors: Palaniuk and Vonnegut, the latter of whom once stated in a letter to John Casey, "I give you my word of honor that he is merely the best writer, the most sincere writer I've ever read. What I suspect is that it hurt too much, was no fun at all to be that good. You and I will never know." Pancake shot himself in '79 at the age of 27.

EDIT: I've torn my house apart and am now 99% sure that my twat ex-girlfriend borrowed them, never read them, and lost/has them.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I read the first chapter of the series Vin suggested. It's pretty interesting, I might just buy the series, because I appreciate the way the story is going so far even if it hasn't gotten off it's haunches yet.

Woo, someone listened to my suggestion. :hifiver:

I need to get back to reading them. Took a break a little bit into book 4, as it starts out quite a bit slower and differently than the rest. From what I've read, I'd say 2 = 3 > 1.

Finished the Millennium series early this morning. I lament the fact that Larsson passed away before finishing the 4th book, let alone the other six he had outlines written out for. Would have made an epic ten book series. I'm also deeply saddened that there's nothing left of his to read outside of a few sci-fi fanzines and his career as a Swedish political journalist; he was a wonderful writer.

While I'm waiting for the two following books to get here in the mail, I think I'll finally read the 5th Dexter book since I have the 6th here waiting in the wings. I've started the 5th and gotten about a third of the way through it three times over the course of the past two years, but keep neglecting to finish it. >_>

Excited to read these:

9-450.jpg

2-450.jpg

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I've got about 100 pages left in Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent, apparently it was the first good courtroom drama (according to my dad who reads constantly) and it is pretty damn good

finished that one a few weeks ago, great book, now I'm about 2/3 of the way through Michael Crighton's Micro, which has been very good, definitely lives up to the expectations of a Crighton book

finished that one a few weeks ago, great book, now I'm about 2/3 of the way through Michael Crighton's Micro, which has been very good, definitely lives up to the expectations of a Crighton book

finished Micro yesterday, and it was awesome, I'm about to start another Scott Turow book, The Burden of Proof, if it's half as good as Presumed Innocent it should be good, I'm actually doing pretty well on my goal of reading more for pleasure this semester, Burden of Proof will be my fourth novel the semester corn.gif

I am about halfway through The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro (OfPans Labyrinth fame). They do a really good job of explaining exactly what occurs during the change from human to vampire and the craving for blood as it intensifies.

There are two other books inthe series, but i just discovered this one. It is not perfect, but a solid read in Vampire genre that has been destroyed with the Twilight garbage. It seems like a decent ode to the great books like Anne Rice's Interview With A Vampire.

I finished the 5th and 6th Dexter books ages ago. I'm now reading Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors (loved Slaughterhouse Five).

I've stagnated on Locked On by Tom Clancy and some other writer.

Big Bad Wolf. By James Patterson.

Edited by Duck Fallas

I've gone back into Mike Conneley, finished The Scarecrow a few days ago now I'm reading The Black Ice

T.S. Eliot - The Waste Land

Thank you, Uncharted.

Ghost Story. By Jim Butcher. First Jim Butcher novel I have ever read so I didn't quite realize that this is the 11th book in his Dresden Files series. Now I feel as though I should go back and start with book one and read through each of them in order to catch up on everything prior to this novel.

Challenge accepted.